A Look at Jets Early Options With 10th Pick in NFL Draft

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Do you think there's any chance they trade up to land Alt or Fashanu? Aside from signing injury prone Tyron Smith who might not even hit free agency I am concerned there aren't many real options for a 2024 LT. Run it back w/Duane Brown or Mekhi Becton? Are we comfortable rolling with Carter Warren as our starting LT?

I think they address OT in multiple different ways.

1: Free agency (Jonah Williams?)

2: Draft an OT at pick 10 or after trade down.

2: Trade 2025 picks to get back in to round 1 or early round 2 of 2024 draft where OT is deep after using pick 10 on Bowers

3: Look back at what Carter Warren did and see if they think he can improve enough this offseason to compete for a starting spot.

4: Use at least one mid or late round pick on an OT with tons of game experience at major program.  Somebody like Javon Foster out of Mizzou.

Trading up is the one thing that would shock me since they don't have a 2.  That would mean taking an OT early round 1 and possibly not picking again until round 4 as I'd assume the 3 is used to move up.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

2: Trade 2025 picks to get back in to round 1 or early round 2 of 2024 draft where OT is deep after using pick 10 on Bowers

3: Look back at what Carter Warren did and see if they think he can improve enough this offseason to compete for a starting spot.

4: Use at least one mid or late round pick on an OT with tons of game experience at major program.  Somebody like Javon Foster out of Mizzou.

Trading up is the one thing that would shock me since they don't have a 2.  That would mean taking an OT early round 1 and possibly not picking again until round 4 as I'd assume the 3 is used to move up.

wasn't Williams considered a bust at LT and moved to RT?

I don't see a starting LT there at 10. You can get a starting RT but I'm talking LT.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Cool.  

We'll touch base on April 25th and see how it played out.

I did not say that they will 100% take a QB. But I do not believe they will approach the off season intending to NOT take a QB. And this is the type of situation where an owner might get involved if he falls in love with a QB. Say like the one playing tonight. Personally I think that by the time we pick the Jets will piss everyone off and take a DT

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets should absolutely not take a guy who has only played RT in college and over draft him to play LT in the NFL. This would be a disaster in the making.

Alt and Fashanu are LTs, everyone else is a RT after that.  I think Carter Warren can start at RT.  Is he good enough to play LT and then we draft someone like Mims or Fuaga? I really don't like where we are sitting for OL. Keith Carter isn't turning one of these RTs into a great LT.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You could always trade our 2023 #1 for a 2nd rounder. 

23 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

wasn't Williams considered a bust at LT and moved to RT?

I don't see a starting LT there at 10. You can get a starting RT but I'm talking LT.

Lots of guys who played LT at a high level in college but no way of truly knowing how NFL teams view them.  I'd be shocked if the only two guys out of the top tackles to play on the left side are Alt and Fashanu.  I'm not as high on Jordan Morgan as some folks are but somebody like Patrick Paul is somebody who has played a ton of LT and who I've seen others say will play LT as a pro.

I recall Williams being better on the left than the right TBH but I could be wrong.  Thin FA class is going to make it tough but given the number of needs the Jets have and the absence of a second-round pick, I have a  hard time seeing them give up assets to move up and take an OT.

A lot can change between now and the draft but I'd take Bowers at 10, trade back in to the back of the round with a 2025 1st and take an OT there.  It gets you two immediate starters in round 1.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

You could always trade our 2023 #1 for a 2nd rounder. 

Yup, that's why I'd said OT at pick 10 or after a trade down.

Thing is, we always want a trade down but it almost never happens.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I did not say that they will 100% take a QB. But I do not believe they will approach the off season intending to NOT take a QB. And this is the type of situation where an owner might get involved if he falls in love with a QB. Say like the one playing tonight. Personally I think that by the time we pick the Jets will piss everyone off and take a DT

Again, I think they're in survival mode.  That means adding as many immediate impact starters as possible.  Taking a guy in round 1 who won't play as a rookie (again) would be either the ballsiest or dumbest move ever for a guy trying to save his job.

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets should absolutely not take a guy who has only played RT in college and over draft him to play LT in the NFL. This would be a disaster in the making.

yea, just play him at RT. 

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Just seems we've landed at a spot in the draft where it makes it a more realistic option because we're no longer going to get a starting LT and the top 2 WR's are likely off the board. We can over draft a RT which is still a need, take a very good TE prospect but they usually don't contribute much in year one and we're in a short Aaron Rodgers window. If you're going to take a prospect that isn't going to contribute much in year one maybe in a strong QB class if a top QB is there at 10 you just take them instead of reaching on a RT or taking that TE.

Looks like we're going to be looking at the top TE, a top RT, the next tier of WRs, a bunch of defensive players or a QB prospect at 10.

I just don’t see it especially with Rodgers here another couple of years.  There is going to be a real good player available that isn’t a QB at 10.  I don’t buy the whole “we missed out on landing a impact player by winning”.  We drafted Garrett Wilson at 10.  

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I just don’t see it especially with Rodgers here another couple of years.  There is going to be a real good player available that isn’t a QB at 10.  I don’t buy the whole “we missed out on landing a impact player by winning”.  We drafted Garrett Wilson at 10.  

my point isn't that there won't be any impact players there. It's just the QB may be too much value to pass up compared to what's available and what we need. We need a RT more than a future QB in 2024 but is 10 overall where you take a RT? I don't know about that. 

I think as of right now my preference is to trade up to get one of the two LT's. Use a future pick or a defensive player if you need to.

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

I don't know why people are so down on JC Latham. I am leaning towards Latham or Bowers as the pick. Followed by Fuaga. BTW- neither Fuaga nor Latham are LT's BUT Latham probably has a better shot to eventually develop into a LT, IMO. But if the Jets really want a LT, they should just draft Mims and be confident that they can develop him.  

HOWEVER. 

There is a chance Alt still falls to us. 

CHI-Williams

WAS- Maye

CHI and WAS get their Franchise signal callers. 

NE- MHJ (Ironically, THIS is why the Jets get a shot at ALT. Or at least one possibility. The Pats cannot pass on the top prospect in the draft for Daniels, IMO and they take MHJ).  

ARI- Nabers (I just don't see the Cardinals taking a OT with Humphries and Paris Johnson. I don't see them taking the 3rd QB, I don't see them taking an Edge - although they could. Nabers is the closest WR to MHJ in this class and they need one badly.)

LAC- Here is where is gets tricky. The Chargers COULD take Fashanu. That would be bad. But they have so many holes. They could also take the BEST Pass Rusher in the draft, which is also a major need. I think there is a VERY good chance they take a guy like Latu. After all, Fashanu is a LT and they have one in Slater. They would really be drafting a RT, which does not make sense this early.  

NYG- Here is another tricky one. If Daniels is sitting here. Do the Giants take Daniels and sit him behind Danny Dimes - who is coming off a bad injury and looks to be a bad investment after very average play last year? Or do they go all in with Danny Dimes and draft help for him? Honestly, the smart move would be to draft Daniels, IMO. But who knows. IF they take Daniels, Fashanu and Alt are still on the board. 

Tenn- There is NO WAY Tenn passes on Fashanu. So he is gone. 

ATL- Atlanta doesn't really need an OT. They have bigger needs. With o top QB on the board and only one defender having gone, I could see them going defense. I could see them taking an Edge (Chop, Turner, Verse). OR this would be a good spot for Newton, who many say is the best defender in this class. I would not be shocked to see Kool-Aid come off the board to the Falcons. They have a big need at CB. 

CHI- Another team that does not really need an OT. The Bears need a WR. Odunze makes a ton of sense. After MHJ, Nabers and Odunze there is probably a bit of a drop off in talent at the WR position. It would make sense for the Bears to take him here. 

NYJ- Alt falls to the Jets. Miraculously. But with all teams ahead of them taking the guys they want. And if Alt is gone. Well, Bowers is a nice concelation prize.    

Suspect there's zero chance, but from you lips to God's ear. I don't see it but...

As a long time Jets fan who has seen many drafts come and go...

And careful analysis of this list of all the intriguing players available in the top 10...

I am certain that even though they all appear promising...

There is absolutely one player the Jets should not touch with a 10-foot pole...

It will end disastrously...

To find out the name of the player...

We need to ask Joe Douglas...

It's the player he is deciding to pick...

• Haha 1

Just now, jetswinbaby! said:

As a long time Jets fan who has seen many drafts come and go...

And careful analysis of this list of all the intriguing players available in the top 10...

I am certain that even though they all appear promising...

There is absolutely one player the Jets should not touch with a 10-foot pole...

It will end disastrously...

To find out the name of the player...

We need to ask Joe Douglas...

It's the player he is deciding to pick...

Oh give it a rest.

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

..and just like typical Jets fashion you can book it. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

my point isn't that there won't be any impact players there. It's just the QB may be too much value to pass up compared to what's available and what we need. We need a RT more than a future QB in 2024 but is 10 overall where you take a RT? I don't know about that. 

I think as of right now my preference is to trade up to get one of the two LT's. Use a future pick or a defensive player if you need to.

Going to be hard to trade up without a second and I don’t think the Jets want to lose a key defensive player.  We will get a good player on offense at 10

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Going to be hard to trade up without a second and I don’t think the Jets want to lose a key defensive player.  We will get a good player on offense at 10

Yeah I don't see a trade up happening. Make a splash in free agency. Go for it this year.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:20 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

If you think he can be an elite rt then draft him and don't overthink it. There is not one player on our offensive line that deserves to come back. Avt is literally the only good player and he can't stay healthy.