The Excellence Of The Media ...

17 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

OMG. This is almost as funny as, "There are so many Marines on Guam, it might capsize".

😆

LMFAO!  I remember that.  Thank you for bringing it up though.  Hadn't thought about that one in a while!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is this really an excuse though?  Why should anyone pay attention to them if this is how awful they are at their job?

If your job was IT at a hospital and they at the last second asked you to perform an appendectomy, do you think you’d be prepared?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is this really an excuse though?  Why should anyone pay attention to them if this is how awful they are at their job?

Not at all, but I’d bet a shiny nickel that she didn’t even write that question. It was handed to her by some 26 year old dipsh*t editor wearing a Pokemon shirt back at the office who’s never seen an NFL game and thinks the sport is too mean. Personally, my thoughts on the decline of NFL-specific journalism is embodied by our lazy-as-**** beat writers who are currently writing “Jets Should Target These Five Free Agents” listicles that wouldn’t even make it on the front page of a fan blog instead of, I don’t know, trying to make a few phone calls and autopsy another lost Jets season. Maybe Zach Rosenblatt or Brian Costello could send an email to Zach Wilson’s agent to get a quote as to how he’s doing with his concussion? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Then default to send someone with exterior huevos if he at least watches football, or don’t send one with questions if she’s too arrogant to bounce off a football fan what she should ask, behaving as though her job title connotes working knowledge about all things. There have been budget-stripped news departments in tiny towns across the country for decades. No one has ignorantly asked a long winded question how a team will brave the climate controlled weather inside Ford Field.

Like tens of millions of other spectators, I’m not in a sports journalism dept either but I know the Lions play in a friggin’ dome…and not on a winter-frozen grassland/savannah where they’d otherwise be hunting gazelles and wildebeests. Further, Detroit’s head coach isn’t heir to a canned soup fortune, and their OC wasn’t caught doping in the ‘88 Olympics.

Also the Tampa players aren’t going to be at a disadvantage with their players each wearing one eye patch underneath tricorn helmets, and their QB won’t be too tired by game time after waking up at 4 am to put bread dough into ovens.

Without being a sports journalist I know all these things.

The macro level issue is she doesn’t know enough to even know what to ask, won’t ask anyone else for help, and in a nutshell she doesn’t belong in the room, taking time away from others who do. Send some geek with a fantasy football team who’d instead go (or at least tag along with her) for free.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I'm not a reporter or related to one and this is truly laughable ignorance on the part of the media person asking the question, however, I think it's pretty ridiculous to use this as an example of the failure of all journalism. It would be akin to saying all quarterbacks are incompetent boobs because of Sanchez's butt fumble. There are some remarkable journalists out there -- smart, literate, courageous, even heroic -- as there are innumerable hacks and partisan blowhards. So I would suggest rather than vastly over-generalizing due to confirmation bias we be a bit more nuanced. Asking a lot, I know, but figure it should be said. Carry on...

Give us some examples!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

LMFAO!  I remember that.  Thank you for bringing it up though.  Hadn't thought about that one in a while!

Here's a recommendation then... look up "Obi-Wan Nairobi". What the Brit government is doing to that hero is criminal. 

Dude should be celebrated for saving hundreds of lives....

Television media for the two major leagues (NFL, NBA) has evolved into "journalists" trying to outdo and outclick their peers by just throwing "hot takes" against the wall and talking loud.  The insightful and true journalist/analyst are not on our televisions but more importantly hard to find.

The worse category to me is the former player who should be the X and O's authority but in order to get screen time has to morph into hot takes.  It truly is an awful product they put out there and I have found my mornings watching Andy Griffith and King of the Hill reruns much more enjoyable. 

Anyone have any recommendations on writers local or national they find informative ?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Seems the reporter is just stupid but you find your way to back up the media. Always looking out for your home team eh?

The media is my home team? :-k

And saying they're ignorant is looking out for them? :-k

Ok.  If you say so. :blink:

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The macro level issue is she doesn’t know enough to even know what to ask, won’t ask anyone else for help, and in a nutshell she doesn’t belong in the room, taking time away from others who do. Send some geek with a fantasy football team who’d instead go (or at least tag along with her) for free.

I'd go even simpler.  She didn't even bother to do basic "Wikipedia" research. 

Ten minutes for an intelligent person on Wikipedia would give you more than enough for a 1-2 question presser.

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ten minutes for an intelligent person on Wikipedia would give you more than enough for a 1-2 question presser.

Maybe. I think the greater problem is too much research would be required - for her - for even that. IOW it wouldn't occur to her to even question whether or not the Lions - or any team - plays in a dome. She doesn't know what she doesn't know (i.e. she doesn't know that there's something she doesn't know), so she wouldn't go seeking out information to fill in blanks. It's an arrogance, like I said. Many people have such blinders, feeling that competence in one area connotes competence in other fields (or for some, pretty much all fields). I'd say this is a sign of the times, but this has always happened. It's just easier to fake it now with all people owning handheld supercomputers with high speed access to all recorded human knowledge.

I don't usually go simpler, unless I have to, but simpler for me is she had no business being in the room, let alone asking questions. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt, right?

Somewhat related, the Jets will pick no later than #8 in the upcoming draft. I saw someone wrote that somewhere before the last regular season game. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then default to send someone with exterior huevos if he at least watches football, or don’t send one with questions if she’s too arrogant to bounce off a football fan what she should ask, behaving as though her job title connotes working knowledge about all things. There have been budget-stripped news departments in tiny towns across the country for decades. No one has ignorantly asked a long winded question how a team will brave the climate controlled weather inside Ford Field.

Like tens of millions of other spectators, I’m not in a sports journalism dept either but I know the Lions play in a friggin’ dome…and not on a winter-frozen grassland/savannah where they’d otherwise be hunting gazelles and wildebeests. Further, Detroit’s head coach isn’t heir to a canned soup fortune, and their OC wasn’t caught doping in the ‘88 Olympics.

Also the Tampa players aren’t going to be at a disadvantage with their players each wearing one eye patch underneath tricorn helmets, and their QB won’t be too tired by game time after waking up at 4 am to put bread dough into ovens.

Without being a sports journalist I know all these things.

I kind of agree here, having worked within the media for 20 plus years I’ve seen the decline in resources and the stripping away of talent that some have already noted but the decline in actual ‘journalism’ is so lamentable that this doesn’t even remotely surprise me…journalism is journalism (or it’s supposed to be) the bottom line is, what are the facts? what’s going on? …instead, journalism ends up being ‘reporting’ finding a narrative to fit an existing bias or headline…it frustrated the hell out of me in news coverage for years and   I saw the way the wind was blowing…it has only gotten worse. It should be way less of an issue in sorts because there’s less opportunities to create agendas or false narratives but it appears it’s creeping in. Sport happens, it’s fully factual …a game started, somebody scored, another person scored ..the game ended and there was a winner (unless it’s cricket) news has increasingly become about creating an angle, making up the story …it would be a shame if this nonsense creeps into sports coverage and this may he just an isolated incident that’s most memorable for laughs but as others noted, if sports coverage gets cut you end up with non-journalists news hacks out of their depth in environments like this 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Season 3 Nbc GIF by ManifestWikipedia is the source you recommend? got it. Everyone knows they play inside, you dont really need media to tell you @Warfish

• WTF? 1

10 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If your job was IT at a hospital and they at the last second asked you to perform an appendectomy, do you think you’d be prepared?

I'm not blaming the reporter.  I'm asking why in the world should we continue reading such a newspaper?!