Jets Hiring RB Coach Tony Dews

8 hours ago, Larz said:

I had no idea who the RB coach was last year and I’ll forget this guy by tomorrow lol

I already forgot. Outside of the GM & HC I couldn’t tell you who’s on the coaching staff. I just don’t care. You’ll hear the OC/DC name mentioned once in a while but it still comes down to the HC. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2024 at 10:54 PM, maury77 said:

I'm sorry, I just can't get that worked up one way or another over the RB coach. I didn't even know who the RB coach was until he left. 

Kind of reminds me of baseball fans arguing the merits of one batting coach to another.  As if they make dramatic differences to a lineups production

• Upvote 1

• I am not buying any argument that Dews developed/coached Derrick Henry.  I could develop/coach Derrick Henry.
  • It does not matter that Zach Azzanni is under contract.  If we want to hire Rob Moore, Woody will fire Zach Azzanni.
    • Azzanni had a good track record-better than the guy her replaced.  Vince Lombardi could not coach up the Jets' offense roster.  But Woody is looking for scalps on offense. 

On 1/26/2024 at 9:33 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Look at it this way. Vrabel kept him all those years with multiple OCs…says something

I like your outlook on this.  Brent Boyer has lasted through coaching staff changes with us as well.  I think the criticism on Dews just comes from us not getting Deuce Staley who was the favorite.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Saleh and Douglas are lazy and don’t have any connections. Aside from LaFleur who was fired because he hurt Zach’s feelings.

I disagree. I think they both have good connections around the league but have the misfortune of working for the most toxic organization from top to bottom in pro sports, although the Panthers are getting closer by the day. JD and Saleh are the textbook definition of lame ducks, with probably at least an 80% chance of getting canned next year because this team will once again miss the playoffs. After awhile, coaches get tired of uprooting their families and taking a job only to have to do it again next year. And when they get fired this time next year, the final dagger will come when they both are hired rather quickly and go on to have very successful careers once they get away from this sinkhole. 

Several pundits have pointed out that the Titans offensive staff, after losing MLF Sr and then Arthur Smith, was basically terrible enough to get a good coach in Vrabel fired.  

The Jets are picking up their sloppy seconds.

This is not a surprising thing for a team with a defensive HC.  Eventually gravity catches up to your ability to maintain an offensive staff.  Same thing is happening with Sean McDermott in Buffalo.  

But Woody will be able to save some money next year by keeping Carter/Downing/Dews and just adding Vrabel when he fires Saleh.  I wonder if that is the plan.