Soccer Is A Real Sport

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

WOW I wonder what year Manchester City became relevant again?

Oh yeah 2008 after being bought by the Abu Dhabi United Group. 

Yeah, and built a juggernaut with the best coach in the world at the helm. It's a pleasure being a fan of the evil empire, I must say. It's actually enjoyable to watch the games week in week out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yeah, and built a juggernaut with the best coach in the world at the helm. It's a pleasure being a fan of the evil empire, I must say. It's actually enjoyable to watch the games week in week out.

Like I said prior to 2008 soccer was a non thing in this country.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Like I said prior to 2008 soccer was a non thing in this country.

The thing that changed soccer, particularly Premier League, interest was the purchase of game rights in the US by Comcast, Espn and Paramount. I know a lot of people who caught on the soccer through World Cup and wanted more than every four years. Premier League was suddenly available and you've got a lot of interest. It's pretty simple. Make something available and they will come. Not to mention that so many kids have grown up playing the sport in schools, both boys and girls, and you have a present and future audience that's knowledgeable about the sport. 

No one really cares in this country about the sport on a regular basis, but hipsters and immigrants.  There seems to be blips in interest when the bigger events happen, but that's it.  Been told it's the sport of the future since I was a kid, still not seeing it.  I have 2 kids heavily involved in sports so I see it 1st hand, neither play soccer anymore.  Lots of kids playing, but it tends to be temporary (they're gravitating towards other sports as they get older ).  Culture in other countries with regards to soccer are completely different from what I understand.  In a lot of places it's really the only sport kids play, not too much branching out.  If a kid's that good, he gets signed in to a developmental program at a young age and only concentrates on that sport.    In America our top athletes are all multisport athletes thru the HS years, which is why I don't see American men "catching up".  If they're that talented, they're likely playing football or basketball in college.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

No one really cares in this country about the sport on a regular basis, but hipsters and immigrants.  There seems to be blips in interest when the bigger events happen, but that's it.  Been told it's the sport of the future since I was a kid, still not seeing it.  I have 2 kids heavily involved in sports so I see it 1st hand, neither play soccer anymore.  Lots of kids playing, but it tends to be temporary (they're gravitating towards other sports as they get older ).  Culture in other countries with regards to soccer are completely different from what I understand.  In a lot of places it's really the only sport kids play, not too much branching out.  If a kid's that good, he gets signed in to a developmental program at a young age and only concentrates on that sport.    In America our top athletes are all multisport athletes thru the HS years, which is why I don't see American men "catching up".  If they're that talented, they're likely playing football or basketball in college.  

I disagree.

Where soccer was in 1990 when the US qualified for their first World Cup in 50 years to today is astounding.  There was no MLS in 1990.  You could probably count on one hand, if any, how many US players played overseas. 

Today, MLS is a stable league unlike its predecessor the NASL.  America has a lot of players playing internationally and some playing on the bigger clubs in the top leagues.

Will the US ever become the most popular sport in the US?  Probably not.  I think you need to look at it differently though.  There are no Lebron's or Fred Warner's playing soccer. They will likely still gravitate towards football and basketball.  In-roads will be made from pulling from baseball and hockey.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

I disagree.

Where soccer was in 1990 when the US qualified for their first World Cup in 50 years to today is astounding.  There was no MLS in 1990.  You could probably count on one hand, if any, how many US players played overseas. 

Today, MLS is a stable league unlike its predecessor the NASL.  America has a lot of players playing internationally and some playing on the bigger clubs in the top leagues.

Will the US ever become the most popular sport in the US?  Probably not.  I think you need to look at it differently though.  There are no Lebron's or Fred Warner's playing soccer. They will likely still gravitate towards football and basketball.  In-roads will be made from pulling from baseball and hockey.

Hockey is it's own cult at the youth level, don't think you're pulling anything from there.  Baseball is gravitating more towards Latin America at the highest levels, At the HS level Baseball players still overlap with football, basketball and wrestling.  Then you have lacrosse, which is just exploding at the youth and school levels all over the country now. That sport has a ton of overlap with football in its hotbeds, and IMO has a better argument for the "sport of the future".  

21 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Hockey is it's own cult at the youth level, don't think you're pulling anything from there.  Baseball is gravitating more towards Latin America at the highest levels, At the HS level Baseball players still overlap with football, basketball and wrestling.  Then you have lacrosse, which is just exploding at the youth and school levels all over the country now. That sport has a ton of overlap with football in its hotbeds, and IMO has a better argument for the "sport of the future".  

I will never understand the appeal of lacrosse. 

2 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

More reasons to watch the World Cup...

J1ZAJeBImoXG6mQJbsJiONQRZyIJeWxft58rgHgo1us.jpg

images (14).jpeg

ea2aff061ae9522c10bb55cb16ecafb6.jpg

BrF0JPjCUAEQVdF.jpg

images (13).jpeg

biggest takeaway from these is each girl is unique in her own look. They are not overly made up or following the same cookie cutter makeup model that unforunatly alot of American girls are doing.

Simply gorgeous and a big thank you to you for posting.

By the way first picture girl on the left in the green top would kill most of us within a few minutes but oh what a ride it would be

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How many games are played on that "pitch" back to back and for the whole world cup thing? Legit asking; I don't watch le soquer so I don't have the slightest clue.

Probably none.  It expands to 48 teams spread through 12 groups.  Each US city has 6 or more games.  

On 2/7/2024 at 6:54 PM, PFSIKH said:

I disagree.

There is even an American in the team ( Celta de Vigo) i support, Luca de la Torre.

• Upvote 1