Jake Hansen and Carter Warren deserve to start

i dont know about deserving to start but i agree Zach was a big problem why this OL was bad. 

even last year Flacco, White and Johnson had half the sack percentage as Zach did.

we cant get rid of Zach fast enough.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Ah yes the ever failed thought that the oline is all about the QB and a vet QB.  The same one that lasted 4 plays last year due to being sacked.

If you have a poor to mediocre line two things occur, you must have a running QB to counter act it, or you take away half of your play book and are just a dink and dunk offense.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Both of those guys need to improve over this past season.  But I think the jets need to be looking for younger options on the oline.

I thought Carter Warren looked solid in the 5 games he started. Both Mitchell and Newman were the weak links to the line. Mekhi was bad but not nearly as bad as Mitchell. Turner was just as bad.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, doitny said:

i dont know about deserving to start but i agree Zach was a big problem why this OL was bad. 

even last year Flacco, White and Johnson had half the sack percentage as Zach did.

we cant get rid of Zach fast enough.

Another part of the problem was sticking with zone blocking.  Much harder for a makeshift line to get in synch.  

• Upvote 2

Warren and Hanson are basically of average middle 50% of NFL talent.  Maybe Hanson is 25%-50%, Warren 50%-75%.  

They are not terrible.  If properly coached and schemed with good QB play, they should be able to perform...ok.  

• Upvote 1

I agree to an extent that you can overcome a bad line with a good QB, at least as long as said QB has weapons who can get open quickly.  That said it would be pretty stupid for the Jets to bank on this.  Even if they believed they could get by with cheaper options on the line, they would get absolutely buried alive in the NY media if they don't make some big additions.  

I do like Warren a lot though.  If I had my way I'd bring in a short-term vet for a year and see if Warren can take that LT spot at some point.  If we want to truly be a successful team, we're going to have to find long-term OL pieces outside of the top 2 rounds.  I think Warren is our best shot at being that.  Even Mitchell, for as low as his stock is right now, IMO still has some upside to be a starter in this league.  The guy shut down Maxx Crosby last year.  That alone should be enough to not give up on him yet.  

• Upvote 1