The savior....and timing align

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Yeah .. Elway Arm?? Not there... He could be a solid starter that probably lives in the top 15.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

He like Zach Wilson did, will need to sit for a year or two. JJ McCarthy is not a Day 1 starter.

3 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

JJ is a tough analysis for me because he's asked to do so little in that offense and all the action in that offense is gives you limited opportunities to see him just work from the pocket.   Only 2 years of starting experience and Harbaugh really didnt ask much from him.  He's never eclipsed 3k in yards, never thrown over 22 TD's in a season and he's barely eclipse 300 yards passing, twice, in 30 starts, only 3 games w/ over 30 attempts and the results were mixed.  He's not someone you want to run  the RPO w/ at the next level because a 175lbs soaking wet and not really a threat to run, so it would be interesting to see what kind of offense he can execute at the next level.  

I wont argue the positives you mentioned, though I dont see an Elway like arm but here are my concerns:

- extremely tailored offense, pocket constantly moves, tons of RPO, tons of play action, tons of pistol and shotgun, very little transferable film, lot of movement to get one on one looks

- level of competition is laughable. Nice win vs. Bama this year but dude completed 27 passes for 350 yards during the playoffs.  I mean, you're not going to be able to hide your QB like that in the NFL, especially during crunch time of the NFL season.

- terrible pocket presence, his drop backs are inconsistent, his eyes go down to the pass rush way too fast, turns his back to the LOS, a lot.  But my biggest concern w/ his pocket presence is dude bails on clean pockets like his name was Zach Wilson.

- struggles w/ accuracy and placement to the outside hash marks 

- no signature game or moment, true game manager who relied heavily on D and run game, I dont know if he has that moment where Michigan doesnt win w/ out the play of their QB.

- not a lot of timing and anticipation throws on film.  More of a, see open guy, throw ball to open guy, loves to sit in the pocket and wait for break downs and 1on1 situation so he can just throw it and hope (very similar to Zach Wilson college film)

There is a 0% chance I'd take him in the 1st round, let alone at #10 overall. 

4th round flyer

• Upvote 3

McCarthy is maybe mac jones level of QB.  He is going to get massively over-drafted as some team like the op make themselves believe he is really good.

Maybe if he gets real real lucky he will become brock purdy and go to a 100% built team that is stacked with talent but most likely he will go to a middling or poor team and get exposed.

The big benefit of him perhaps rising up the draft boards is it will maybe afford the jets a trade down scenario.

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

JJ is a tough analysis for me because he's asked to do so little in that offense and all the action in that offense is gives you limited opportunities to see him just work from the pocket.   Only 2 years of starting experience and Harbaugh really didnt ask much from him.  He's never eclipsed 3k in yards, never thrown over 22 TD's in a season and he's barely eclipse 300 yards passing, twice, in 30 starts, only 3 games w/ over 30 attempts and the results were mixed.  He's not someone you want to run the RPO at the next level because he's a 175lbs soaking wet and not really a threat to run, so it would be interesting to see what kind of offense he can execute at the next level.  

I wont argue the positives you mentioned, though I dont see an Elway like arm but here are my concerns:

- extremely tailored offense, pocket constantly moves, tons of RPO, tons of play action, tons of pistol and shotgun, very little transferable film, lot of movement to get one on one looks

- level of competition is laughable. Nice win vs. Bama this year but dude completed 27 passes for 350 yards during the playoffs.  I mean, you're not going to be able to hide your QB like that in the NFL, especially during crunch time of the NFL season.

- terrible pocket presence, his drop backs are inconsistent, his eyes go down to the pass rush way too fast, turns his back to the LOS, a lot.  But my biggest concern w/ his pocket presence is dude bails on clean pockets like his name was Zach Wilson.

- no signature game or moment, true game manager who relied heavily on D and run game, I dont know if he has that moment where Michigan doesnt win w/ out the play of their QB.

- not a lot of timing and anticipation throws on film.  More of a, see open guy, throw ball to open guy, loves to sit in the pocket and wait for break downs and 1on1 situation so he can just throw it and hope (very similar to Zach Wilson college film)

Everything you said i generally agree with. The reason he is flying up boards or at least ppl are becoming more aware of what the scouting community has always thought about him is raw talent and toughness. He literally has everything. And is elite in some areas...

To me he's going to be great. He's not ready to play right away tho. 

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

assuming the jets think Rodgers can win a SB, and are "all in". drafting a QB in the first round would be malpractice....even if you think the jets are going to be holding their dicks in 2 years when Rodgers retires.

I understand what you're saying but I absolutely disagree with this mindset 

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

assuming the jets think Rodgers can win a SB, and are "all in". drafting a QB in the first round would be malpractice....even if you think the jets are going to be holding their dicks in 2 years when Rodgers retires.

I've to admit passing on Bowers is a very very tough decision. I want a QB but I can't complain if he's there and we get him

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Sorry, but JJ McCarthy does not possess the talent of elite placement. And he still has a ways to go in regard to being a refining his mechanics to become an effective pocket passer. He could be an excellent pro QB, but he needs a season, more likely two, on the bench working on his mechanics and defensive reads. 

There's a throw he makes in the first qtr as a freshman vs Ohio State that is incredible placement and spin. 

But we do agree, I really think he's going to be great after sitting for a couple yrs

4 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

JJ is a tough analysis for me because he's asked to do so little in that offense and all the action in that offense is gives you limited opportunities to see him just work from the pocket.   Only 2 years of starting experience and Harbaugh really didnt ask much from him.  He's never eclipsed 3k in yards, never thrown over 22 TD's in a season and he's barely eclipse 300 yards passing, twice, in 30 starts, only 3 games w/ over 30 attempts and the results were mixed.  He's not someone you want to run the RPO at the next level because he's a 175lbs soaking wet and not really a threat to run, so it would be interesting to see what kind of offense he can execute at the next level.  

This.  I’d say that I probably like JJ more than a lot of people, but I was doing so through the lens of evaluating guys I would target no earlier than the middle of the 2nd round (trade up) or 3rd to develop behind Rodgers. 

I think he needs to go somewhere where he can sit 2-3 years to realize his potential, but I don’t think he’s making it out of the first, inherently increasing his chances of starting games next year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This.  I’d say that I probably like JJ more than a lot of people, but I was doing so through the lens of evaluating guys I would target no earlier than the middle of the 2nd round (trade up) or 3rd to develop behind Rodgers. 

I think he needs to go somewhere where he can sit 2-3 years to realize his potential, but I don’t think he’s making it out of the first, inherently increasing his chances of starting games next year.

I think he’s going top 10.  If atlanta doesn’t take him i think minny, LV or denver is going up to get him, maybe trading with the jets, maybe ahead of the jets.  But i think he’s going to kill the combine and a team is going up to get him.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I agree. That's why I think it's perfect for the jets. The problem is some ppl in the fanbase might be meh on your first rd pick sitting behind Rodgers for 2 yrs. I completely disagree with that mindset but I understand. I also think you can only get elite QB talent in the top ten picks. Everything else is an outlier and pure luck

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think he’s going top 10.  If atlanta doesn’t take him i think minny, LV or denver is going up to get him, maybe trading with the jets, maybe ahead of the jets.  But i think he’s going to kill the combine and a team is going up to get him.  

Yup.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

He like Zach Wilson did, will need to sit for a year or two. JJ McCarthy is not a Day 1 starter.

Yeah ... I think Zach has a better arm .. hope McCarty does get the op to sit a year.

53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree; I am just saying that I was evaluating him as someone to target if he were to “fall” where I believe he should be drafted.

He's, in my opinion, going no later than top 15, regardless of my evaluation.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I agree; I am just saying that I was evaluating him as someone to target if he were to “fall” where I believe he should be drafted.

Yea I have my eyes on Penix if he falls because Medicals , rattler , Pratt and Jordan Travis . I don’t think the Jets will take a Qb until the 4th though and idk if any of them will be there but Travis

• Upvote 1

He throws like 8 times a game with either all the time in the world or little checkdowns. We wouldn't even be talking about this if Kyle Mccord didn't have a meltdown on his last throw of the game against UM.

He's also gotta be the corniest human being alive. I mean the watching TCU celebrate after they lost like Diggs did was such a look at me moment and so is that meditating act. Just an annoying guy.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He’s a tough eval and in the end if you draft him you have faith that he can carry an offense when he doesn’t have dominant players around him.  He actually plays how i thought wilson would play, with moxie, confidence and throwing accurately on the run.  How much of an advantage he has learning from harbaugh is also a big ?