Geoff Schwartz on Taliese Fuaga

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I agree. 

I think AVT’s fifth year option has really made me wonder about taking an iOL in the first round. They’re bucketed with tackles there and for the tag - which I think is why good iOL hit FA more than good tackles. All for taking iOL in the second or later but I don’t think it’s a good move in the first.

That being said I think you could probably justify a borderline guy who you start at tackle and have being a high end guard as a backup. And obviously it works out sometimes, there’s just very little room for error.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, derp said:

I am struggling to remember exactly but I thought concerns were similar for Wirfs which would be interesting. Need to do some digging. Not sure Fuaga will be the same caliber of athlete.

IIRC, the drag on Wirfs was that he was thought to be a right tackle only prospect. Brandon Thorn suggested he’d be a guard. After Sewell, I don’t think the “right tackle only” tag is the demerit that it used to be, but it only works if you already have the viable LT in place. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

IIRC, the drag on Wirfs was that he was thought to be a right tackle only prospect. Brandon Thorn suggested he’d be a guard. After Sewell, I don’t think the “right tackle only” tag is the demerit that it used to be, but it only works if you already have the viable LT in place. 

There are 32 teams and 64 starting tackles, and fuaga is good enough to be a starting tackle.  Look at the crap the jets have had at tackle over the years.  They’d be lucky to have a guy like fuaga, who may actually be a plus in the run game and not a liability in the pass game.  Ultimately as we’ve seen, having a qb who knows what he’s doing matters as much as having a guy like brick who has dancing feet and can mirror most elite pass rushers’ moves.  Maybe the jets get the penn state guy, maybe fuaga, maybe fautanu, and while this is all fun during draft season we know it won’t make any difference if rodgers is hurt and they have nobody else to throw in there. 

I will say that i’d rather have fautanu and a 2nd than just fuaga at 10.  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

There are 32 teams and 64 starting tackles, and fuaga is good enough to be a starting tackle.  Look at the crap the jets have had at tackle over the years.  They’d be lucky to have a guy like fuaga, who may actually be a plus in the run game and not a liability in the pass game.  Ultimately as we’ve seen, having a qb who knows what he’s doing matters as much as having a guy like brick who has dancing feet and can mirror most elite pass rushers’ moves.  Maybe the jets get the penn state guy, maybe fuaga, maybe fautanu, and while this is all fun during draft season we know it won’t make any difference if rodgers is hurt and they have nobody else to throw in there. 

It’s always gonna be a gut punch to draft a right tackle in the top ten, especially given that he’s already used picks 11 and 14 on OL and it’s still the worst OL group in the sport. Eventually, you can’t keep letting a GM burn picks at positions to cover up previous failures. The worst case outcome for Becton should have been that he’d be your average right tackle for the foreseeable future, but they don’t even want that guy on the roster anymore. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s always gonna be a guy punch to draft a right tackle in the top ten, especially given that he’s already used picks 11 and 14 on OL and it’s still the worst OL group in the sport. Eventually, you can’t keep letting a GM burn picks at positions to cover up previous failures. The worst case outcome for Becton should have been that he’d be your average right tackle for the foreseeable future, but they don’t even want that guy on the roster anymore. 

Seems more like an attitude thing.  Hopefully by Moore they have learned that lesson.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s always gonna be a guy punch to draft a right tackle in the top ten, especially given that he’s already used picks 11 and 14 on OL and it’s still the worst OL group in the sport. Eventually, you can’t keep letting a GM burn picks at positions to cover up previous failures. The worst case outcome for Becton should have been that he’d be your average right tackle for the foreseeable future, but they don’t even want that guy on the roster anymore. 

I don’t think becton can even be average at RT.  I think he’s too heavy and his feet are too slow.  I think he’s toast.  

I have no problems drafting a good RT at 10, RT is a key position b/c lots of teams put their best rushers on that side for parts of games anyway.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I don’t think becton can even be average at RT.  I think he’s too heavy and his feet are too slow.  I think he’s toast.  

I have no problems drafting a good RT at 10, RT is a key position b/c lots of teams put their best rushers on that side for parts of games anyway.  

Yes, but my point is if you draft a tackle at 11, the worst case scenario for that player is that, four years later, he’s a B- player at the other tackle spot or at guard. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems more like an attitude thing.  Hopefully by Moore they have learned that lesson.

Which makes Saleh showing no interest in the personnel side all the more confusing. Douglas sat across a table from guys like Becton and Mims and Moore and Zach Wilson and still didn’t pick up on them being uncoachable mushes. If you’re the coach, you’d think you’d want a crack at talking to as many prospects as you can so you can weed out the ones you don’t want in your locker room

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Some liked him at guard. He never had LT experience but those who liked him outside thought he'd be fine there. Was the whole Alaric Jackson was only comfortable on the left but Wirfs could play either so they just played Wirfs on the right.

I recall something about him oversetting and being prone to inside moves so people thought he might need to go inside, it was a very specific technical thing. I'll try to find it.

Here it is - Daniel Jeremiah before the combine:

“I think he's somebody that has a chance to be an All-Pro guard. And I know he's played tackle, he's played on the right and the left. And he's a good tackle. I think he can play tackle in the NFL. I think he has a chance to be an elite guard,” Jeremiah said Friday during a media call. 

“He's got some issues -- oversetting, that can be cleaned up a little bit. I just thought he'd be better if he had neighbors on each side. But in terms of having something to gain, if he goes out there and puts on an athletic show, which I've heard there's a chance he does, then he could kind of put that to bed and say, look, I am a tackle. I'm not sliding inside; that's what I am. I think he has a chance to help himself there.” 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, derp said:

Some liked him at guard. He never had LT experience but those who liked him outside thought he'd be fine there. Was the whole Alaric Jackson was only comfortable on the left but Wirfs could play either so they just played Wirfs on the right.

I recall something about him oversetting and being prone to inside moves so people thought he might need to go inside, it was a very specific technical thing. I'll try to find it.

Here it is - Daniel Jeremiah before the combine:

“I think he's somebody that has a chance to be an All-Pro guard. And I know he's played tackle, he's played on the right and the left. And he's a good tackle. I think he can play tackle in the NFL. I think he has a chance to be an elite guard,” Jeremiah said Friday during a media call. 

“He's got some issues -- oversetting, that can be cleaned up a little bit. I just thought he'd be better if he had neighbors on each side. But in terms of having something to gain, if he goes out there and puts on an athletic show, which I've heard there's a chance he does, then he could kind of put that to bed and say, look, I am a tackle. I'm not sliding inside; that's what I am. I think he has a chance to help himself there.” 

I think the difference between Wirfs and Fuaga is that Wirfs is more agile. Fuaga is a bit of a long strider so he gets to the second level well and may run a decent 40. I think he struggles with agility because of stiffness, you don't really see him squat and pop much on tape. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Fuaga is not a bad prospect and I think his worst case scenario is a move to guard, where I think he will be very good. My issue is that I'm starting to get Zach flashbacks where a West Coast prospect is being made out to be better than he is by Jeremiah, etc. and I'm concerned that the Jets will pass on Fashanu (who IMO is clearly a better tackle prospect) or even Latham for Fuaga. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think the difference between Wirfs and Fuaga is that Wirfs is more agile. Fuaga is a bit of a long strider so he gets to the second level well and may run a decent 40. I think he struggles with agility because of stiffness, you don't really see him squat and pop much on tape. 

Yup, I don’t think Fuaga will end up showing he’s the same caliber of athlete - we’ll see though.

25 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Fuaga is not a bad prospect and I think his worst case scenario is a move to guard, where I think he will be very good. My issue is that I'm starting to get Zach flashbacks where a West Coast prospect is being made out to be better than he is by Jeremiah, etc. and I'm concerned that the Jets will pass on Fashanu (who IMO is clearly a better tackle prospect) or even Latham for Fuaga. 

I’m already bracing myself for Douglas going Fuaga with Fashanu there. Maybe Fashanu won’t be but I think if someone outside of that top nine prospect tier breaks in ahead of the Jets and means one of those guys slips to them the best chance for a layup is Fashanu. Bowers too but there at least there’s the positional value discussion.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Which makes Saleh showing no interest in the personnel side all the more confusing. Douglas sat across a table from guys like Becton and Mims and Moore and Zach Wilson and still didn’t pick up on them being uncoachable mushes. If you’re the coach, you’d think you’d want a crack at talking to as many prospects as you can so you can weed out the ones you don’t want in your locker room

Aaron Rodgers can coach anyone!

I want to make it clear I very much want to draft a real guard this draft, not a failed tackle, not a Center you move to guard a genuine guard.

I also want to make it clear we can't be using a top 10 - 15 pick on a guy we project to guard.  We can't, if Fuaga can't at minimum be a great starting RT we can't draft him

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I want to make it clear I very much want to draft a real guard this draft, not a failed tackle, not a Center you move to guard a genuine guard.

I also want to make it clear we can't be using a top 10 - 15 pick on a guy we project to guard.  We can't, if Fuaga can't at minimum be a great starting RT we can't draft him

A day two guard has been something I’ve wanted for a while now. Fourth rounder would be okay too.

• Upvote 2

Fuaga seems like a pretty high upside guy if his pass pro continues to develop.  At the very least you'd assume he will help elevate our run game and be an asset for Breece.  Overall though I think if Olu is there, he should probably be the pick.  Pass pro ready from day one.  He might never be much in the run game but I think we can live with that.  D'Brick proved you can still be a high-end tackle with those traits.

I wonder if they'll fall in love with another tackle though and drop down the board.  Someone like Guyton or Paul.  Guyton seems like a coaches dream.  Has all the traits you want in a tackle.  Only problem is this team has so far proven to be completely incapable of developing OTs.  It's a risk to not go with the sure-thing.  

End of the day, I can live with and be happy with Fuaga if he ends up being the pick - depending on how the board plays out.  Part of me still wouldn't be surprised to see us go all out on addressing the OL holes in free agency which will open up the 10th overall for JD and Co. to go with the BPA.  Bowers perhaps. 

On 2/25/2024 at 1:41 PM, maury77 said:

• Fashanu is a better OT prospect than Fuaga
  • Latham hatred is getting kind of ridiculous and would love to draft him if we trade down a few spots
  • Upvote 1

The knocks on Wirfs were/are very similar to what is out there about Fuaga.

1.  People worried about Wirfs playing RT only.  Derp is right, the main reason Wirfs player RT at Iowa is Alaric Jackson was not comfortable at RT.  I know that for 100% fact and said that here before any national guru mentioned it, if they did at all.

2.  People thought Wirfs was a “power” tester.  Meaning they did not expect to test so well in movement drills, which was insane if people actually watched him play football.  They read about his weight lifting exploits, assume he’s just big and strong but can’t move.  That’s why he plays RT(in theory).

3.  Short-ish arms.  He didn’t have typical LT(or RT) arm length, but not super terrible.  Still on the short side.

Add all that up and the east projection is strong, plus unclear athleticism, plus non prototypical measurements= Guard.

I’m not saying Fuaga has all those exact same questions, or that he will be Wirfs athletically, but I think the easy pre combine projection for a tackles whose best trait is power is to project them to Guard.  It’s the same as projecting an iffy 40 time CB and saying he projects best at safety.  It’s easy and safe because it is really is hard to disprove.  Whereas saying “I don’t think he will be a successful Tackle because of X, Y and Z” is a lot more boxed in.

Brandon Thorn could still make an argument that Wirfs would be a better guard, and he might be right, and that’s why those talk tracks exist.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

1.  People worried about Wirfs playing RT only.  Derp is right, the main reason Wirfs player RT at Iowa is Alaric Jackson was not comfortable at RT.  I know that for 100% fact and said that here before any national guru mentioned it, if they did at all.

2.  People thought Wirfs was a “power” tester.  Meaning they did not expect to test so well in movement drills, which was insane if people actually watched him play football.  They read about his weight lifting exploits, assume he’s just big and strong but can’t move.  That’s why he plays RT(in theory).

3.  Short-ish arms.  He didn’t have typical LT(or RT) arm length, but not super terrible.  Still on the short side.

Add all that up and the east projection is strong, plus unclear athleticism, plus non prototypical measurements= Guard.

I’m not saying Fuaga has all those exact same questions, or that he will be Wirfs athletically, but I think the easy pre combine projection for a tackles whose best trait is power is to project them to Guard.  It’s the same as projecting an iffy 40 time CB and saying he projects best at safety.  It’s easy and safe because it is really is hard to disprove.  Whereas saying “I don’t think he will be a successful Tackle because of X, Y and Z” is a lot more boxed in.

Brandon Thorn could still make an argument that Wirfs would be a better guard, and he might be right, and that’s why those talk tracks exist.

This is a great post and would be even if it didn’t include the phrase “derp is right”.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 10:26 AM, maury77 said:

Schwartz captures my thoughts on Fuaga. I think he is a high floor prospect, I just don't see him sticking at tackle. 

But isn't that coachable / correctable so he can stay at OT?

• Upvote 1

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB
BREAKING: Teams with OL coaches at today's Oregon State pro-day to workout potential top-ten pick OT Taliese Fuaga:

𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙨, 𝘾𝙤𝙬𝙗𝙤𝙮𝙨, 𝘽𝙧𝙤𝙣𝙘𝙤𝙨, 𝙅𝙖𝙜𝙨, 𝙅𝙚𝙩𝙨, & 𝙎𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙚𝙧𝙨.

Guessing same crew will be in Eugene tomorrow for Oregon C/G Jackson Powers-Johnson.

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:57 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

When it was all said and done, didn't Wirfs test extremely well in the running, jumping, agility stuff? 

=signed a guy that loves workout warriors. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

When it was all said and done, didn't Wirfs test extremely well in the running, jumping, agility stuff? 

=signed a guy that loves workout warriors. 

Yes, he’s just an overall terrific athlete from an agility standpoint, just so happens he broke every weight room record Iowa had as well.