Jadeveon Clowney visiting Jets ...

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yes, we drafted will mcdonald last year we drafted johnson the year before, we paid quinnen a zillion dollars, we are still paying jfm a bucket of cash, we are paying kinlaw a bucket of cash.

It's going to be fun to pay this dude like 12 million a year to give him 50% of the Dsnaps while we have problems at safety, poor depth at LB and RB.

If pass rushers were a must for this team then Bryce huff does not walk.

You mention “poor depth” at other positions.  The way the roster is currently constructed, if JFM or Jermaine gets injured, either Clemons or 240-pound WMD becomes a starter at DE instead of just rotational pieces.  Does that sound good to you?

• Upvote 1

Not sure what the cap space situation is / will be if we sign Clowney but adding OT depth, WR depth, and maybe Safety depth after this move and before the draft leaves just about every round open to BPA without worrying about position.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Clowney feels like a guy you make a May 2 offer to.  They do that a bunch.  Kwon Alexander, Reiff, Ogunjobi, and a bunch of others.

He’ll be gone by then, too talented and experienced at a critical position.  

Now Corey Davis is another story….

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

He’ll be gone by then, too talented and experienced at a critical position.  

Now Corey Davis is another story….

He is coming off a one year at $2.5M.   I don't know what his value is. OTC "valuation" says $15M. but I don't think anyone expects anything north of $7M.  This guy was on the street until mid-August last year.  I get that he had a bit of a rebirth, but I think you may be overstating his market.  

When Corey Davis signs is irrelevant, he is a cut, not an expired contract.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He is coming off a one year at $2.5M.   I don't know what his value is. OTC "valuation" says $15M. but I don't think anyone expects anything north of $7M. 

I can see the Jets give a guarantee of like $5M, and incentives that can push it to $10M or $12M if he meets certain goals.  Kinda like what they did with Mike Williams, but not Tyron.  Tyron is getting incentives based upon playing time, and being available to play.  Clowney will get incentives based upon sacks, pressures and tackles, I would imagine.

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

I can see the Jets give a guarantee of like $5M, and incentives that can push it to $10M or $12M if he meets certain goals.  Kinda like what they did with Mike Williams, but not Tyron.  Tyron is getting incentives based upon playing time, and being available to play.  Clowney will get incentives based upon sacks, pressures and tackles, I would imagine.

Clowney signed for $2.5M last year which means he did not count on the comp pick formula.  Despite it being widely reported that his deal could reach $6M, it is still listed as $2.5M even though he had an excellent season by all accounts.  He did get a $750K bonus for his sack total. My thought is they offer him  deal like you propose if he agrees to sign it in May. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MykePM said:

You mention “poor depth” at other positions.  The way the roster is currently constructed, if JFM or Jermaine gets injured, either Clemons or 240-pound WMD becomes a starter at DE instead of just rotational pieces.  Does that sound good to you?

I'm thinking we probably draft DL/DE in the 4th, especially if Clowney signs elsewhere. Clemons offered pedestrian stats in his playing time last year...

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Clowney signed for $2.5M last year which means he did not count on the comp pick formula.  Despite it being widely reported that his deal could reach $6M, it is still listed as $2.5M even though he had an excellent season by all accounts.  He did get a $750K bonus for his sack total. My thought is they offer him  deal like you propose if he agrees to sign it in May. 

He made 4.5 mill last year. Appears he got a 1 year 2.5 mill and got an additional 2 millions in incentives. The jets seem to be really into giving these short term guys incentive based contracts. Pushing those incentives into next years cap. Clowney def deserves a raise based on his production last year, it wouldn’t surprise me he gets around 1 year @ 6-7.5M with another 5Mish in additional incentives.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

He is coming off a one year at $2.5M.   I don't know what his value is. OTC "valuation" says $15M. but I don't think anyone expects anything north of $7M.  This guy was on the street until mid-August last year.  I get that he had a bit of a rebirth, but I think you may be overstating his market.  

When Corey Davis signs is irrelevant, he is a cut, not an expired contract.

I don’t think him being a free agent until late last year has any bearing on when he gets signed this year.  He’s a desired commodity right now and has multiple teams trying to sign him.  I don’t think that’s overstating.

@Tooooon you were right and I was wrong.  Does not necessarily change my thoughts.  2/$20M this is a contract that I'm glad was signed by another team.  Like Odell last year.  I celebrated that the Ravens signed that deal.  Cook was the opposite.  I thought the player would be better for us, but paying him $8M bothered the **** out of me.