Jadeveon Clowney visiting Jets ...

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Same reason Rex liked CB's.  Rex's defense was predicated on having CBs that can hold up in perpetual press-man while the second and third levels of the defense line up at the LOS and overload blitz.  Skill at the third level and swarm forward with the first and second levels.  Pressure, pressure, pressure.  Saleh's defense is predicated on getting pressure and stopping the run at the first level with four guys.  Skill needed and lots of fresh manpower.  Pass rushing skill on the ends and big, disruptive beef on the inside.  All gas, no breaks.  It is key to keep them fresh so they can go at it each time with intensity.  The second and third level's of the defense act as one big bee swarm.  Speed, speed, speed. You need LB's with great closing speed, because they are reactive and not attacking.   That is how a well manned 4-2-5 works.  You need fresh DTs and DEs, fast LB's along with smart and instinctive DB's 

I think the most ironic thing is that we actually have the personnel for the Rex defense but insist on playing this brain dead rotation that minimizes the defense potential. How Sauce is used us criminal

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyLV said:

I think the most ironic thing is that we actually have the personnel for the Rex defense but insist on playing this brain dead rotation that minimizes the defense potential. How Sauce is used us criminal

Lol bud they don't rotate the CBs.

• Haha 3

On 3/15/2024 at 7:14 AM, mrcoops said:

Wasn't one of the main arguments for letting Huff go supposed to be getting more time on the field for Will McDonald?

Not sure how signing Clowney to replace Huff would square with that one.

Huff wanted to leave because he wants to start and not come out. It has nothing to do with anything else. He didn’t want to rotate, rotating the front is a pillar of Saleh’s philosophy. That’s it. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I think Rex would like Sauce and DJ Reed, He would also like Q as his NT and JFM on his defensive line.  He would probably not like JJ so much nor would he like any of the current Jets LB's  He'd want bigger LB's and one DE/OLB like Calvin Pace.  He would also need a really good three-technique on his defensive line. Remember how Rex used Shaun Ellis ??? Also... Rex would have his defensive front line up in one gap and two gap depending on how many guys he had on the line which could be as few as three or as many as 8 at times. Rex ran a base 34 where the OLB/DE was flexed.  Saleh runs a 4-2-5 where the SS/LB is more or less the flex. Perhaps I would call it less of a flex and more of a blur between the second and third levels of the defense.  

53 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

We have a hole at 3rd safety.

Tony Adams and Chuck Clark are the starters.

Sign Ashtyn back and that problem is solved.

Clark is coming of a massive injury and is not that great in any case imo.   Adams is okay, Davis is a #3/#4 S who we do need to keep.

If we do not upgrade we will be doing one of two things, 1 - complaining about the bad safety play next year or 2 - using like a 2nd (if we trade down) or 3rd round pick on a safety.

There are still lots of safeties out there we need to get one, more so than yet another dlineman.

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Clark is coming of a massive injury and is not that great in any case imo.   Adams is okay, Davis is a #3/#4 S who we do need to keep.

If we do not upgrade we will be doing one of two things, 1 - complaining about the bad safety play next year or 2 - using like a 2nd (if we trade down) or 3rd round pick on a safety.

There are still lots of safeties out there we need to get one, more so than yet another dlineman.

Yeah, the idea is to get better.  Clark is an unknown coming off injury.

While I like Ashtyn Davis, I'm not sure he makes you better.

Justin Simmons is still out there.

Ballhawking FS with 30 career INTs.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh I agree with much of your sentiment, but the Jets LOVE Chuck Clark and think he's perfect for their defense. He's going to start next to Adams.

That leaves the depth spots. The Jets have shown that they don't care about safety, so I think you will see them take a mid to late round flyer on a system fit.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Every QB we play struggles vs this defense yet here you are not satisfied ?? Exactly who is brain dead here ? I get the Sauce on an island deal but if you take away half the field with just his presence then you are accomplishing the exact same thing.

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Every QB we play struggles vs this defense yet here you are not satisfied ?? Exactly who is brain dead here ? I get the Sauce on an island deal but if you take away half the field with just his presence then you are accomplishing the exact same thing.

tell that to the dolphins and jaylen waddle when they didn't have tyreek hill 

On 3/14/2024 at 9:37 PM, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Don’t know what’s funnier. The Jets spending resources on more DL or the fact that the Jets are probably a leverage meeting for every FA to get a better deal for the team they actually want to get to. 

Tyron Smith says 'hi!'

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Lol bud they don't rotate the CBs.

Duh. We have a rotational system on the DL coupled with our corners limited to one side of the field and mostly in cover 3. It is literally the worst scheme for the talent we have.,

We have the best corner in football in man coverage. We have easily a Top 20 corner in DJ Reed. We have a Top 5 slot corner. And we have the highest rated coverage linebacker in the NFL. And we play a soft zone and don't blitz. 

There is no HC in the NFL more of a slave to his system than Saleh

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I did not say it was not a good defense. It is because we have an exceptional secondary. Probably better than Revis/Cromartie. I am saying though that it has the ingredients to be dominant in another scheme that utilized the players better.

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

I did not say it was not a good defense. It is because we have an exceptional secondary. Probably better than Revis/Cromartie. I am saying though that it has the ingredients to be dominant in another scheme that utilized the players better.

I was not trying to say you thought it was a bad defense .... Thing is we play a lot of zone and that means you stay to your side and your assignment. When you are trying to mix up looks you can't just dictate who a given player is going to be covering. QB confusion is the key here not forcing Sauce into coverage. Our scheme does a great job of giving QB's fits and I think this is probably a better use of our players then Rex's defense. No way to know for sure but if it works dont try to fix it.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

I get this complaint heading into last year but guys, look at the results. 

• Sympathy 1

I can't see Clowney signing for the Jets (or anyone else) for cheap anytime soon.

His past M.O is to take his time, look around and find the best fit / the most money.

Last year, he didn't sign with Baltimore until mid-August.

He has other visits lined up, so he's going to see what is out there and then decide where to sign.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I can't see Clowney signing for the Jets (or anyone else) for cheap anytime soon.

His past M.O is to take his time, look around and find the best fit / the most money.

Last year, he didn't sign with Baltimore until mid-August.

He has other visits lined up, so he's going to see what is out there and then decide where to sign.

I look at it this way - He is 31 years old, never won a super bowl and JD did some serious sh*t to upgrade the roster (despite everyone's opinions).  If he is anything like me, I'm going where I can win because nothing else matters - Somewhere where peoples asses are on the line and it's all in.  At this point in his career should money even matter?  I'm not saying he's going to sign because of what I just stated, I'm just saying a Super Bowl would be more important to me than the money.

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'd love to bring Davis back, but worst case the 3rd isn't a bad spot for this safety class.  Maybe even the 4th tbh.  Kam Kinchens has been falling in mocks for a while now and could last til 72.  Otherwise a kid like Sione Vaki is someone I'm sure our staff would love.  Perhaps Cole Bishop if we wait til pick 111.  I think it's unlikely we go ALL offense in this draft, so I can see one of our first 4 picks going towards the D.  If Davis isn't re-signed, safety makes as much sense as any. 

Either way we need at least one more body there, and Davis showed a lot of progression last year.  Wouldn't be surprised if he settles in as a solid starter in this league.  That safety against Atlanta is still one of the most impressive defensive efforts I've ever seen.