Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

29 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

After last years draft and the whiffs on Becton & Zack, you would think JD whos job will be on the line doesnt swing for the fences and take a big risk, but rather takes the safe pick like a Fuaga to minimize his risk

This draft is actually very interesting from jd’s perspective, b/c he’s got potentially conflicting objectives - drafting the best player, drafting a player in a position of need, drafting a guy who contributes immediately, drafting a guy who won’t be a bust, and more I’m sure.  Bowers gets him an instant contributor but it’s a risky pick and may impact his future job prospects.  Fashanu may not play immediately but could be a reliable 10-12 yr LT, but not this year.  

Considering all these things, I’m guessing they’re praying teams start trading up for qbs and a top 3 wr shakes down to 10, and if not then i think it would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the war room when they debate yet again bowers vs fuaga vs anyone else vs the trade offers they have.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I think you’d be surprised at how all great receiving TEs get a lot of short targets too. What separates them and Bowers is that they does a lot more down the field.

I think there’s good data that shows he gets substantially more behind the line of scrimmage targets than other tight end prospects. His yards after catch is potentially sustainable-ish though. Guys like Kittle and Njoku are similar. I was just pushing back on the idea that he’s going to come in and immediately dominate the middle of the field when he didn’t really do a whole lot of that in college.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Is he good at predicting the jets picks?  Which clowney?

No free agency.  If I recall correctly he said smith and Williams were coming. I think with smith it was before it was known he was visiting 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

If the jets are in fact looking at pass catchers and rome is gone, that’s when it gets interesting.  

Rumors are everywhere today. Lots of trading up for Odunze, some Odunze sliding as teams come up for tackles, mostly Jets as locks for Bowers. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He said Latham to Chargers because Harbaugh wants a sh*tkicker and Alt is a left tackle. Alt for obvious reasons. Fashanu was Caleb’s high school teammate and Jeremiah said he contacted a few personnel guys in the league as to whom Bears would/should take—Odunze or Fashanu—and they all said Fashanu. 

And yet this would be a fitting end to the joe Douglas regime, a guy who promised to fix the OL bypassing several top prospects to take a wr while he has 2 old tackles and the oldest qbs in the nfl. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He qualified it by saying Atlanta and Bears are trade down candidates. Has McCarthy falling to 11. Says the Giants want Maye and would let McCarthy slide on by. 

I had mostly gotten around to him not being there (which I don’t think he will be) and stuff like this creeps me back towards being in denial.

I do still suspect Arizona likes him and wonder if we could see a:

1. Bears - Williams

2. Commanders - Daniels

3. Pats - McCarthy

4. Giants (from Cardinals) - Maye

5. Chargers - Latham 

6. Cardinals (from Giants) - Odunze

I think it’s weird but kind of weird in a way that happens sometimes on draft day and think the Titans sitting at 7 with Harrison, Nabers, Alt, and Fashanu on the board would be quite something.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He said Latham to Chargers because Harbaugh wants a sh*tkicker and Alt is a left tackle. Alt for obvious reasons. Fashanu was Caleb’s high school teammate and Jeremiah said he contacted a few personnel guys in the league as to whom Bears would/should take—Odunze or Fashanu—and they all said Fashanu. 

Bowers falls to Colts at 15🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I had mostly gotten around to him not being there (which I don’t think he will be) and stuff like this creeps me back towards being in denial.

1. Bears - Williams

2. Commanders - Daniels

3. Pats - McCarthy

5. Chargers - Latham 

I think it’s weird but kind of weird in a way that happens sometimes on draft day and think the Titans sitting at 7 with Harrison, Nabers, Alt, and Fashanu on the board would be quite something.

I'm no draft guru but from the highlights I've seen of JJ McCarthy, I don't want him on the Pats.   Hopefully the football gods will send a bust their way (and not of the HOF variety).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And yet this would be a fitting end to the joe Douglas regime, a guy who promised to fix the OL bypassing several top prospects to take a wr while he has 2 old tackles and the oldest qbs in the nfl. 

Cimini has heavily implied that the Jets *might* have a handshake deal with Bakhtiari depending on what happens in the draft. Brugler made a good point today—the Jets don’t have to take a tackle as insurance because Carter Warren in his second year is probably as good or better than Fuaga, etc will be as rookies. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

Cimini has heavily implied that the Jets *might* have a handshake deal with Bakhtiari depending on what happens in the draft. Brugler made a good point today—the Jets don’t have to take a tackle as insurance because Carter Warren in his second year is probably as good or better than Fuaga, etc will be as rookies. 

It’s an interesting point, but still warren looked meh last year.  Not sure i agree with that point.

still, the whole OL seems as if it’s constructed for one year only and then they pack it up and hit the next town.  Now of course if they take rome this doesn’t mean they can’t trade up for a tackle on day 2 or take one in the 3rd round.  Also that mock is interesting b/c mccarthy is there at 10 and i still wonder if there’s any discussion of a qb at any point on days 1 or 2.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, derp said:

1. Bears - Williams

2. Commanders - Daniels

3. Pats - McCarthy

5. Chargers - Latham 

Same with Odunze, buuuut if Harrison drops to seven, that wouldn’t be a terrible consolation prize. I kinda wish Douglas would shoot his shot and trade up as high as he can get tonight. Worst case scenario, he still gets a top receiver. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Augustiniak said:

It’s an interesting point, but still warren looked meh last year.  Not sure i agree with that point.

still, the whole OL seems as if it’s constructed for one year only and then they pack it up and hit the next town.  Now of course if they take rome this doesn’t mean they can’t trade up for a tackle on day 2 or take one in the 3rd round.  Also that mock is interesting b/c mccarthy is there at 10 and i still wonder if there’s any discussion of a qb at any point on days 1 or 2.

Belichick-WereOnToCincinnati.png.4e680c08215d6c7e4a0fed0cbc85ad60.png

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’ve almost come around to your point that the Jets should just go ahead and get a QB in this draft, but I don’t really love any of the guys outside of Caleb and Maye. The rest are messy. As to Carter Warren, the idea was that rookie OL usually stink, and Warren having a year head start is probably ok

Just now, T0mShane said:

I’ve almost come around to your point that the Jets should just go ahead and get a QB in this draft, but I don’t really love any of the guys outside of Caleb and Maye. The rest are messy. As to Carter Warren, the idea was that rookie OL usually stink, and Warren having a year head start is probably ok

I understand the benefit of another year of experience, vs overall upside.  Our beloved brick had an up and down rookie year until he figured it out.  

If rome slides to 10 the value and need makes a ton of sense.  If he’s gone and the jets are looking at bowers, fuaga, or a trade back, that’s when i predict jd pounds the table for his favorite ugly and takes fuaga and says that’s that, I’m not the piñata for the failed OL anymore.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I understand the benefit of another year of experience, vs overall upside.  Our beloved brick had an up and down rookie year until he figured it out.  

If rome slides to 10 the value and need makes a ton of sense.  If he’s gone and the jets are looking at bowers, fuaga, or a trade back, that’s when i predict jd pounds the table for his favorite ugly and takes fuaga and says that’s that, I’m not the piñata for the failed OL anymore.  

Oh yeah, I agree with that. I think it’ll be Fuaga. If not, he’ll trade back into R1 for a lineman

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Chiefs just won a superbowl having probably the worst tackle duo in the NFL, Arod won a MVP with Billy Turner as his LT. R-e-l-a-x, Bakthiari is coming after the draft, Carter can play RT and you can find a backup guard later for insurance.

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Chiefs just won a superbowl having probably the worst tackle duo in the NFL, Arod won a MVP with Billy Turner as his LT. R-e-l-a-x, Bakthiari is coming after the draft, Carter can play RT and you can find a backup guard later for insurance.

So we’re going to compare this team to the team that has a qb who has the best qb who would be a HOF and he’s played what, 6 or so years?  We’re going to compare the qb who is an escape artist to a guy who lasted 3 plays last year, and how those tackle needs may differ?

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Same with Odunze, buuuut if Harrison drops to seven, that wouldn’t be a terrible consolation prize. I kinda wish Douglas would shoot his shot and trade up as high as he can get tonight. Worst case scenario, he still gets a top receiver. 

I would go balls to the walls and get MHJr if he slips past the Chargers, or just trade with them. If everyone stays healthy the draft picks wont matter, if anyone gets injuried everyone is fired and its another long rebuild. 

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oh yeah, I agree with that. I think it’ll be Fuaga. If not, he’ll trade back into R1 for a lineman

Interesting that in DJ’s mock and one other we saw today, Philadelphia traded up to get the top corner and in DJ’s for Fugua, in both throwing in pick #50.If top WR’s gone , trading 10 for 22 and 50 would be fine by me.

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Interesting that in DJ’s mock and one other we saw today, Philadelphia traded up to get the top corner and in DJ’s for Fugua, in both throwing in pick #50.If top WR’s gone , trading 10 for 22 and 50 would be fine by me.

I think you can get some really good interior OL at 22, but I don’t trust Douglas enough to make something out of 50 to make trading down worth it

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So we’re going to compare this team to the team that has a qb who has the best qb who would be a HOF and he’s played what, 6 or so years?  We’re going to compare the qb who is an escape artist to a guy who lasted 3 plays last year, and how those tackle needs may differ?

Yes, next question.

You don't get the point, great QBs can make it work with subpar OL play.

Lets go back and revisit Donavan Smith a holding merchant who was the LT for two SB teams in the last 4 years, his QBs? Brick feet 45 year old Tom Brady and Mahomes, so yes you don't need to be a escape artist like Mahomes you just have to be a great QB or you're not putting Rodgers in the same conversation as those guys?

If Rodger hit the cliff than is over anyway and we're not winning sh*t he can have the best OL in the league and it won't matter.

Also JD built a mess of a OL how many more resources are you supposed to give this guy until he has a decent OL? (Dillard, Becton, Tomlinson, Ryan Kalil) How can anyone trust this guy evaluation of OLineman is beyond me.