Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

10 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I heard they did that on purpose.  They wanted to trade down, but had no takers.  They knew no one was going to take the guy they wanted and let two teams jump them in the draft to save money on the first round draft slot.

Pretty ballsy and foolish idea if you ask me.

If they wanted a guy you take him, what was to prevent the other teams from trading out?

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

There are zero legit OTs under contract beyond this year.

Any OT taken won’t be “depth” for very long.

There maybe a 1% chance the entire OL stays intact for 17 games, and maybe a 5% chance Tyron Smith starts all 17.

I don’t disagree, but Fashanu is backing up maybe both tackles, possibly only LT.  

Fautanu who can back up the entire line, and then take over LG, seems like a good move with a trade down a little.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Pretty ballsy and foolish idea if you ask me.

If they wanted a guy you take him, what was to prevent the other teams from trading out?

It was probably a bs excuse to explain the inconceivable to the media.

1 hour ago, varjet said:
  • The Jets need offensive line depth, but 10 is too high to take offensive line depth.  
  • Fashanu is graded the same as Broderick Jones last year.  Almost exact.  With small hands.  BJ did not kill it last year, and he may not be a LT.   I don’t know whether Fashanu is saving the day if Smith goes down.  I think Carter Warren is first man up.
  • We don’t know AVT’s story.  Do we want to buy him for next year at $20mm?   Fuaga can fill in for him and eventually move to RT.   So he is backing up 2 spots.  Fautanu is not a player you pick at 10-he is 15-20.  
  • From JD’s perspective, if he picks an. OL and he does not contribute meaningfully, he looks pretty bad.  Odunze and Bowers will contribute meaningfully year 1.  There will be an OL available in the 3rd round who can be a better back up than Mitchell and Newman.  Seems like a no brainer to me.  
  • If we trade down, we will get a good developmental OL in round 1 and a WR who makes a difference in round 2/3, like a Morley or Pearsall.   A draft of Fautanu and Pearsall, with a Zach Minter in the 3rd round, would be perfect to me. 

That's where my head's at.  JD and Saleh don't have the luxury of building pipelines.  They need to win now or they're toast...

Just now, peekskill68 said:

That's where my head's at.  JD and Saleh don't have the luxury of building pipelines.  They need to win now or they're toast...

They can build OL depth on day 2, but that guy they take at 10 has to play now.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It was probably a bs excuse to explain the inconceivable to the media.

No it’s true. People hate woody but the Vikings owner was a cheap dude. 

As funny as it might have been to the public, the episode cut deeply on the people involved. Twenty years later, they can reveal a fuller story of how the misstep unfolded and why. It involves millions of dollars, an unanswered phone and a senior citizen hurling profanities at a 6-foot-8 head coach.

Then-owner Red McCombs blamed the Vikings' front office for a disorganized draft process. But in separate interviews this spring, Brzezinski and Tice disclosed a crucial fact: McCombs had demanded a trade down before the draft started, adding a unique level of pressure to the circumstances. Brzezinski, currently the Vikings' executive vice president of football operations, declined to speculate on why. Tice, who retired from coaching in 2018, said the reason was apparent to anyone who understood the team's cash-strapped position at the time.

"We were left to assume the obvious," Tice said, "which was the difference in the contract at [a lower spot in the draft]."

Upon further reflection, if Odunze is gone I can see the Jets taking JC Latham.  He can back up basically 4 OL positions.  As someone else has said, there is a 99% chance that the Jets OL will suffer injuries somewhere.  Even if JC Latham does not initially start, the chances of him starting 12+ games in 2024 is very, very high.  I don’t think he is another Becton.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

Upon further reflection, if Odunze is gone I can see the Jets taking JC Latham.  He can back up basically 4 OL positions.  As someone else has said, there is a 99% chance that the Jets OL will suffer injuries somewhere.  Even if JC Latham does not initially start, the chances of him starting 12+ games in 2024 is very, very high.  I don’t think he is another Becton.  

I like him less than about 4-6 ots, imo he'll get killed as a LT.

He is one of the few guys in the list of wrs and ots (and bowers) that I will be genuinely pissed off taking.

• Upvote 1

You guys are jumping through some serious hoops trying to make this OL sh*t happen.

We’re taking a playmaker.

Either one of the Top 3 wideouts or Bowers will be a Jet. Either by trade up or by staying put.

We aren’t spending a Top 10 pick on an insurance policy for Tyron Smith. Jets fans have been so traumatized by this OL situation and I’m not sure if they can ever be snapped out of it. We could have 5 pro-bowlers on the OL and a sizable contingent of this fanbase would still want to spend a Top 10 pick on another one because one of the guys is over 27.

Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers

One of them is a Jet, guaranteed.

Get all of these silly “F” words out of my face.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I like him less than about 4-6 ots, imo he'll get killed as a LT.

He is one of the few guys in the list of wrs and ots (and bowers) that I will be genuinely pissed off taking.

Jeremiah has them ranked

#8 Alt

#10 Fuaga

#11 Fautanu

#15 Fashanu

#18 Latham

#22 Mims

#23 Guyton

#49 Morgan

It will be interesting to check back in 3 years and see how their careers are headed.

• Upvote 1

Seems like an UDFA

Aaron Wilson ⁦‪@AaronWilson_NFL‬⁩

Louisville ⁦‪@LouisvilleFB‬⁩ offensive tackle Willie Tyler (6-6, 310, 5.06 speed) drawing interest from #Giants #49ers#Jets #Raiders #Colts and other teams. ⁦‪@TropicBowl‬⁩⁦‪@KPRC2‬⁩

4/23/24, 2:27 PM

3 hours ago, Larz said:

A Latham sighting !   I would be down for that 

Ummmmmm  this is absurd.  Odunze is the pick obviously.  This is just plain stupid.  Odunze isn't even in the top 13.  LOL.  The two former execs are idiots.  Maybe they were from the Jets.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Love Latham. He is probably the 2nd best OT on a lot of boards. I’d be happy if we pick him at 10 and ecstatic in a trade down.

SO you would take Latham over Odunze?  Because that is what the mock shows.  No Odunze in the top 13.  WOrst mock ever.  33rd team?  LOL.  IQ of 33.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Jeremiah has them ranked

#8 Alt

#10 Fuaga

#11 Fautanu

#15 Fashanu

#18 Latham

#22 Mims

#23 Guyton

#49 Morgan

It will be interesting to check back in 3 years and see how their careers are headed.

And this is how he had the 2020 class ranked:

#7 Becton
#10 Wills
#13 Wirfs
#18 Thomas
#28 Jackson
#39 Jones
#53 Ezra Cleveland
#60 Robert Hunt

Just like this year, his projection will be a mixed bag.  He had Becton as the #1 OT in 2020.  Wirfs 3rd.  Color me unimpressed.

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

SO you would take Latham over Odunze?  Because that is what the mock shows.  No Odunze in the top 13.  WOrst mock ever.  33rd team?  LOL.  IQ of 33.

No I definitely take Odunze over any OL not named Alt.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

You guys are jumping through some serious hoops trying to make this OL sh*t happen.

We’re taking a playmaker.

Either one of the Top 3 wideouts or Bowers will be a Jet. Either by trade up or by staying put.

We aren’t spending a Top 10 pick on an insurance policy for Tyron Smith. Jets fans have been so traumatized by this OL situation and I’m not sure if they can ever be snapped out of it. We could have 5 pro-bowlers on the OL and a sizable contingent of this fanbase would still want to spend a Top 10 pick on another one because one of the guys is over 27.

Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers

One of them is a Jet, guaranteed.

Get all of these silly “F” words out of my face.

Right now our WR2 is coming off a torn ACL and the WR3 couldn’t catch a case of the clap in downtown philly. We need a WR

and we can sign Bakhtiari to be insurance for Smith and we already also have Warren

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Right now our WR2 is coming off a torn ACL and the WR3 couldn’t catch a case of the clap in downtown philly. We need a WR

and we can sign Bakhtiari to be insurance for Smith and we already also have Warren

A high pick top end Wr is desierable but this draft is deep at WR, no matter who we take Douglas better be using two picks at Wr  this draft or he is a tool.

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Love Latham. He is probably the 2nd best OT on a lot of boards. I’d be happy if we pick him at 10 and ecstatic in a trade down.

The knock on Latham is he gets flagged a lot for holding.

Hopefully some good coaching in the NFL, can refine his technique enough to where it's not such a problem.

Not my first choice, but I'd live with it if we took him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

If this is how JD and Saleh are thinking they should not be allowed to run the draft.

The draft should always be about building for the future somehow someway.