Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

12 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Yes, next question.

You don't get the point, great QBs can make it work with subpar OL play.

Lets go back and revisit Donavan Smith a holding merchant who was the LT for two SB teams in the last 4 years, his QBs? Brick feet 45 year old Tom Brady and Mahomes, so yes you don't need to be a escape artist like Mahomes you just have to be a great QB or you're not putting Rodgers in the same conversation as those guys?

If Rodger hit the cliff than is over anyway and we're not winning sh*t he can have the best OL in the league and it won't matter.

Also JD built a mess of a OL how many more resources are you supposed to give this guy until he has a decent OL? (Dillard, Becton, Tomlinson, Ryan Kalil) How can anyone trust this guy evaluation of OLineman is beyond me.

Agreed. Have to take the weapon… can’t waste this pick on a guy you hope won’t play. Need to walk out of round 1 with a contributor who can Rodgers can get the ball to.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

'sh*t kicker' JC Latham on the biggest play of his college career.

Your disdain of Latham has been made very very clear.

You picked the video of a bad snap, titled “low snap” to say that he’s the reason the play failed? The QB kept the ball and ran up the middle. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

Nix is allegedly a guy that Denver has done a lot of work on so, again, a potential trade opportunity if they believe the Vikes are gonna snipe him. 

And I agree that it’s all crazy. We’re at the boiling point. 

So if the 2nd tier of QB's (McCarthy, Nix, Penix) all fall to 10, Vikes, Broncos or Raiders may be open to trading up with us to get one of those three QB's they fancy. Broncos however dont have a 2nd round pick.  Fascinating. 

spock.jpg

8 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Your disdain of Latham has been made very very clear.

You picked the video of a bad snap, titled “low snap” to say that he’s the reason the play failed? The QB kept the ball and ran up the middle. 

So you are going to ignore him getting utterly destroyed, pushed back into the QB by one player and bent like a pretzel becasue of a low snap?

Milroe has no where to go because texas blitzed from one side, he had to look to go the other way and latham got pancaked.

I dislike latham for a lot more than that one play but him being a big boy and getting road killed on the biggest play of the year is not good.

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So you are going to ignore him getting utterly destroyed, pushed back into the QB by one player and bent like a pretzel becasue of a low snap?

Milroe has no where to go because texas blitzed from one side, he had to look to go the other way and latham got pancaked.

I dislike latham for a lot more than that one play but him being a big boy and getting road killed on the biggest play of the year is not good.

dude.  He gave up 2 sacks in two years.  

I imagine transitioning post-snap from a pass block to a run block isn’t something many are great at, especially when the QB takes your left leg out from underneath you. 

He’s a mauling RT, considered by many to be a top-3 tackle in a very deep class.

I get the Becton “big boy” PTSD, but also, there’s a reason these guys play professional football.  

• Upvote 2

This is going to be a fun draft, no one knows sh*t after pick 2.

First two picks appear set in stone but after that it is going to be who knows what.  Teams have done a nice job of keeping the lid on their intentions.

Some team (like the Bills) is going to go all balls in and trade up high.

I think the jets will have real legit chances to trade down if they desire but someone will fall to us too good to pass up.

• Upvote 1

The NFL draft is ultimately a marketplace.

It’s best to the think of it as drafting not only a player but an asset.

Think about the ransom the Dolphins were able to command and obtain by flipping Laremy Tunsil to Houston.

Passing on a franchise LT for a “mauling” RT is and would be stupid.

Relative to a coveted asset like Tunsil, solid RTs and interior OL are a dime and dozen and dealt for peanuts 🥜 if they are dealt at all.

An obvious way to capitalize on your superior draft position is to make use of it to secure the more valuable, coveted asset — to punish the teams that won more games than you did —  rather than letting that player slide thereby allowing a team in a more disadvantageous position draft-wise to reap the benefits of additional +EV.

Sort of like when the Jets passed on the best player in the draft at #6 overall at the game’s preeminent position in Mahomes in order to draft the biggest fraud (Jamal Adams) at one of the game’s least important (in terms of on-field difference making) and least valued (in terms of average salary) in the league.

They and the other idiotic teams picking between the Jets and Bills let Mahomes slide into a position where KC, picking in the 20s, could make one phone call and end up with maybe the greatest QB in NFL history.

As for TE, TJ Hockenson is a pro bowl caliber player taken in the top-10.

He was dealt for a day 3 pick swap.

It is very unlikely and difficult to extract value from a TE picked in the top-10.

• Post of the Week 1

Huh. The Giants coming away from this draft with Aiyuk and possibly Maye would be pretty crazy. No one currently thinks Maye drops past three, but the Pats are currently in a civil war right now over what to do. 

IMG_5155.jpeg

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Rodgers can turn a UDFA into a top five tight end, why do the Jets need to use #10 on one? 

That was the Packers way of thinking. Imagine what he could do with receivers/TE who are actually good. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

This has gotta be a smokescreen. I think harbaugh has been expertly putting them up from the day he left Michigan. There's no way the chargers pass on Alt and one of the top 2 receievers for the 3rd or 4th best OT in the class at 5.

I think this is just another layer to Harbaughs larger smoke screen: building up JJ McCarthy (who was NOT regarded as a top pick 5 months ago) so that some fools will trade the chargers a massive haul for McCarthy to bust while Harbaugh kick starts his rebuild in a big way. Latham at 11, a WR at 23 and a few more quality picks day 2 and Harbaugh has completely turned the chargers around. 

I expect one of these guys to be a Jet tonight:

• Odunze
  • Fuaga
  • Bowers
  • Nabers (long shot)
  • Alt (longer shot)

And once it's done, I will be okay with whoever it is.

Now if they reach down for someone else, I will be surprised, probably annoyed for a minute...but I will still be okay because the team will be a little better, deeper, younger than this morning.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

This has gotta be a smokescreen. I think harbaugh has been expertly putting them up from the day he left Michigan. There's no way the chargers pass on Alt and one of the top 2 receievers for the 3rd or 4th best OT in the class at 5.

I think this is just another layer to Harbaughs larger smoke screen: building up JJ McCarthy (who was NOT regarded as a top pick 5 months ago) so that some fools will trade the chargers a massive haul for McCarthy to bust while Harbaugh kick starts his rebuild in a big way. Latham at 11, a WR at 23 and a few more quality picks day 2 and Harbaugh has completely turned the chargers around. 

Draft picks aren't going to turn them around.  Will a rookie WR be better than Allen and Williams?  They already have a really good LT, one of the best Safeties in the game, and two excellent pass rushers.  They had a great RB last season who is now in Washington.  On paper this team should have done much better than it did.  I don't think it was a roster problem.  If Harbaugh turns it around, it's going to be hard to deny it is the coaching that made the difference.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I expect one of these guys to be a Jet tonight:

• Odunze
  • Fuaga
  • Bowers
  • Nabers (long shot)
  • Alt (longer shot)

And once it's done, I will be okay with whoever it is.

Now if they reach down for someone else, I will be surprised, probably annoyed for a minute...but I will still be okay because the team will be a little better, deeper, younger than this morning.

This is where I'm at. I'd add Fashanu to this list, although he'd go below all but Bowers.

Those two have certain traits that scare me, but I wouldn't go to sleep upset if we got them. Outside this list, I'd be very disappointed unless we trade back.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nycdan said:

Draft picks aren't going to turn them around.  Will a rookie WR be better than Allen and Williams?  They already have a really good LT, one of the best Safeties in the game, and two excellent pass rushers.  They had a great RB last season who is now in Washington.  On paper this team should have done much better than it did.  I don't think it was a roster problem.  If Harbaugh turns it around, it's going to be hard to deny it is the coaching that made the difference.

I agree whole heartedly, it's a roster that has under performed its talent level severely. However, Harbaugh is also molding it in his own image, and a big haul of day 1-2 picks could step in and be starters/stars immediately. Including at RT, WR, HB, and more. I know it's not like they'll all be instant upgrades on their predecessors, but they will be younger, cheaper, and fit what Harbaugh wants to do.

To me that's all part of a "turnaround" even if it's not a full rebuild. Agree that this draft won't be the thing that magically fixes this team though (IF it's fixed), it'll be the coaching change. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Schrager has multiple drafts? This is different than posted above.

They all have multiple drafts.  What I would take from this is that he has the Jets taking receiving option.  He has them going Bowers over Alt/Fashanu/Fuaga, but earlier had Nabers.  In the "final" Harrison, Nabers and Odunze are all gone with only Latham off the board.

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The NFL draft is ultimately a marketplace.

It’s best to the think of it as drafting not only a player but an asset.

Think about the ransom the Dolphins were able to command and obtain by flipping Laremy Tunsil to Houston.

Passing on a franchise LT for a “mauling” RT is and would be stupid.

Relative to a coveted asset like Tunsil, solid RTs and interior OL are a dime and dozen and dealt for peanuts 🥜 if they are dealt at all.

An obvious way to capitalize on your superior draft position is to make use of it to secure the more valuable, coveted asset — to punish the teams that won more games than you did —  rather than letting that player slide thereby allowing a team in a more disadvantageous position draft-wise to reap the benefits of additional +EV.

Sort of like when the Jets passed on the best player in the draft at #6 overall at the game’s preeminent position in Mahomes in order to draft the biggest fraud (Jamal Adams) at one of the game’s least important (in terms of on-field difference making) and least valued (in terms of average salary) in the league.

They and the other idiotic teams picking between the Jets and Bills let Mahomes slide into a position where KC, picking in the 20s, could make one phone call and end up with maybe the greatest QB in NFL history.

As for TE, TJ Hockenson is a pro bowl caliber player taken in the top-10.

He was dealt for a day 3 pick swap.

It is very unlikely and difficult to extract value from a TE picked in the top-10.

I get it.  You like Fashanu and TE is not the highest value position.  I don't think everybody is on board with Fashanu as the best prospect.  Hockenson did get dealt fairly cheap, but a 2nd and 3rd for a 4th is not a "day 3 pick swap."  They got two day 2 picks.  

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Huh. The Giants coming away from this draft with Aiyuk and possibly Maye would be pretty crazy. No one currently thinks Maye drops past three, but the Pats are currently in a civil war right now over what to do. 

IMG_5155.jpeg

Hmmmmmmm I don't see how all of that is possible. 

These accounts are fun to follow though.