Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I hate the idea of trading out of ten when there’s at least the possibility of landing one of the top three receivers with a minor trade up. If that receiver is as good as we think they’ll be, dumping out for the OT5 and pick 52 is going to look awful. 

I agree with you. I'd trade up slightly for Odunze before I traded down to 19. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jetsons said:

Guyton & Legette

He looks decent

But the “5th year breakout” is like a flashing neon sign saying “don’t draft me”

On day 3 maybe who cares but on day 1 or 2 it’s tougher to justify 

Any 1y wonder (Kadarious Toney 😂) is going to leave room for healthy skepticism 

I was reminded of an interesting little tidbit today. Aaron Rodgers has never completed a pass to a player drafted in the 1st round, by the team he is playing for. 

Of course, Garrett Wilson should break that streak in our first series of 2024. But I suspect the Jets have been more interested in a "weapon" round 1 than OL all along. OL is probably just the backup plan, especially in the event of a trade back / lack of value at WR where they're picking. I do want OL but I'm amicable to other solutions there if we don't take one 1st round. 

6 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

What, you don't want to walk away with Patrick Paul and Roman Wilson?! 

If I was building a team? Hell yeah. If I’m trying to win twelve games and one playoff game in eight months? Hell no

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dolphins and Rams allegedly trying to come up in the draft. Jets will have trade down opportunities if they so desire. Rams supposedly a low-key Bowers team. 

Rams may be an Odunze team too though.  Stafford, Kupp, Puka, Oduzne would be lethal.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I was reminded of an interesting little tidbit today. Aaron Rodgers has never completed a pass to a player drafted in the 1st round, by the team he is playing for. 

Of course, Garrett Wilson should break that streak in our first series of 2024. But I suspect the Jets have been more interested in a "weapon" round 1 than OL all along. OL is probably just the backup plan, especially in the event of a trade back / lack of value at WR where they're picking. I do want OL but I'm amicable to other solutions there if we don't take one 1st round. 

Well if we think he won't like a 1st round WR or TE, then a 3rd round WR will never get a look.

Im convinced that OL is the right play here. I mean wilson and hall can catch and run and win games. If that line falters it wont matter cause he needs time to throw and run the offense. 

I really hope we get one fo the top guys so they come in and push for top spot on the line of become great rotation back up. I really think we can grab best WR and then get a OL in the 3rd just like tippman. And we will be fine.

I don't think the trade up is really smart. but there is no guarantee that we can trade back, so man time will tell, but I do think this, I trust in JOE. 

He will make a great call for the team. It has to be WR and OL in the first three rounds.

My prediction is the a top WR falls to us and we take them in the first.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

Rams may be an Odunze team too though.  Stafford, Kupp, Puka, Oduzne would be lethal.

Bowers makes sense for the Rams at #19.

Their starting TE right now is Davis Allen (Higbee late ACL tear), and McVay is obsessed with the position.

He was TE coach in DC for years.

McVay is like Shanahan, brilliant at scheming guys open, whereas Hackett can't even get his play calls in on time.

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Their starting TE right now is Davis Allen (Higbee late ACL tear), and McVay is obsessed with the position.

I really hope so, especially if that means Odunze drops to 10.

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

McVay is like Shanahan, brilliant at scheming guys open, whereas Hackett can't even get his play calls in on time.

Is he though? I like higbee but him being their best TE of the last (?) decade makes me feel like he can't care about it THAT much. Or that he just prioritizes blocking over receiving versatility. 

Not saying he wouldn't love Bowers, I just don't know if I'd call him "obsessed" given team history at the position haha. Coaches get their starts in whatever positions they can hold. I feel like McVay would have gotten someone like Dalton Schultz or traded for Hockenson by now if he cared that much. 

Personally I suspect Bowers will go 15 to the Colts, rumors have flown they love him and I think he suits their scheme incredibly well. A running QB like Richardson should benefit immensely from a guy who stretches the field horizontally and creates another mismatch out of the backfield. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Is he though? I like higbee but him being their best TE of the last (?) decade makes me feel like he can't care about it THAT much. Or that he just prioritizes blocking over receiving versatility. 

Not saying he wouldn't love Bowers, I just don't know if I'd call him "obsessed" given team history at the position haha. Coaches get their starts in whatever positions they can hold. I feel like McVay would have gotten someone like Dalton Schultz or traded for Hockenson by now if he cared that much. 

Personally I suspect Bowers will go 15 to the Colts, rumors have flown they love him and I think he suits their scheme incredibly well. A running QB like Richardson should benefit immensely from a guy who stretches the field horizontally and creates another mismatch out of the backfield. 

Agreed I think Bowers is best fit for their offense, not Hackett and Rodgers.  I think he wouldn't be a difference maker here.  I would prefer a TE that stretches the field.  Bowers would have made sense with a young Zach.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

He developed Jordan Reed in DC and they fed him a ton of targets.

He likes to spend picks on TEs, including Gerald Everett (rd 3 IIRC) and Brycen Hopkins (rd 4).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Dolphins and Rams allegedly trying to come up in the draft. Jets will have trade down opportunities if they so desire. Rams supposedly a low-key Bowers team. 

Feel like if a Rams team that hasn’t drafted in the first round since Jared Goff likes a quarterback it might make sense to just go acquire him.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

McCarthy?

I don’t think they’ll be able to get high enough, though I’d think he’d be a schematic fit. Think they’ve done work on Penix. They’ve also got Nix ties and he’s an analytics darling.

Just think the way they’ve handled draft picks in the past they’d want serious risk/reward for the first round pick and they’ll need a long term answer there so if there’s someone they love they’ll be aggressive.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He developed Jordan Reed in DC and they fed him a ton of targets.

He likes to spend picks on TEs, including Gerald Everett (rd 3 IIRC) and Brycen Hopkins (rd 4).

Fair. That's a good point, but it also feels like it shows he thinks he can derive value out of later TE picks. Neither of those guys has really been a household name. The jump in draft stock from rounds 3/4 to top 20 is immense. 

More importantly, I'm not sure Bowers falls to 19 anyway. While I think top 10 is high, to make it to 19 he'd have to fall past the colts and bengals, who feel like potential fits. We'll see!

Just talked with my SF49er (Jets west) fan who is headed to the draft party the 9ers put on every year, he said the talk for the 49ers is that there is 6 top O lineman in the draft and the last one should be picked right before they get on the clock.

=Sound familiar? Draft coverage is so dumb. Every teams coverage is "oh no the players we neeed will be gone right before us, make a move"

They want to manufacture headlines and controversy to make a story. 

Thats fine but the point is we dont need to do anything, we can just pick at 10 and bi fine there is going to be a good lineman WR etc, not problem.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Just talked with my SF49er (Jets west) fan who is headed to the draft party the 9ers put on every year, he said the talk for the 49ers is that there is 6 top O lineman in the draft and the last one should be picked right before they get on the clock.

=Sound familiar? Draft coverage is so dumb. Every teams coverage is "oh no the players we neeed will be gone right before us, make a move"

They want to manufacture headlines and controversy to make a story. 

Thats fine but the point is we dont need to do anything, we can just pick at 10 and bi fine there is going to be a good lineman WR etc, not problem.

In general I agree, but we do have a scenario this year where a WR would be great and there IS a drop-off after the top 3. If the team is happy with Bowers or an OL then that's fine, but if "their guy" at WR is there at picks 8 and 9 a small trade up doesn't seem like a scenario that the media is just manufacturing, either.

1 minute ago, usanyj said:

Caleb Williams wearing nail polish… I could only imagine if the jets were set to pick him… Zach was filleted for being a pretty boy… this dude rolling in with nail polish…

It is a totally different world than even a few years ago for us older guys.  What was once eye opening is not big deal at all now.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Caleb Williams wearing nail polish… I could only imagine if the jets were set to pick him… Zach was filleted for being a pretty boy… this dude rolling in with nail polish…

I didn't notice that. He's got bust written all over him.

On 4/23/2024 at 11:54 AM, section314 said:

Trust me on this. They don’t have to bring him in, our ex director of scouting personally went up to PSU 6 times last year to scout/ meet with him. They know him like the back of their hand. I am no @Mogglez but a good friend of mine who I see frequently has know the ex director of scouting for years. This is rock solid info. 

Giving you major props for this.   You called it!

• Upvote 1