Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

5 hours ago, Larz said:

No it’s true. People hate woody but the Vikings owner was a cheap dude. 

As funny as it might have been to the public, the episode cut deeply on the people involved. Twenty years later, they can reveal a fuller story of how the misstep unfolded and why. It involves millions of dollars, an unanswered phone and a senior citizen hurling profanities at a 6-foot-8 head coach.

Then-owner Red McCombs blamed the Vikings' front office for a disorganized draft process. But in separate interviews this spring, Brzezinski and Tice disclosed a crucial fact: McCombs had demanded a trade down before the draft started, adding a unique level of pressure to the circumstances. Brzezinski, currently the Vikings' executive vice president of football operations, declined to speculate on why. Tice, who retired from coaching in 2018, said the reason was apparent to anyone who understood the team's cash-strapped position at the time.

"We were left to assume the obvious," Tice said, "which was the difference in the contract at [a lower spot in the draft]."

I may be wrong but it I remember correctly the agent for whoever they drafted held out for the slot the Vikings were supposed to pick in money.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I like him less than about 4-6 ots, imo he'll get killed as a LT.

He is one of the few guys in the list of wrs and ots (and bowers) that I will be genuinely pissed off taking.

He just feels like Becton 2.0 to me.  I don’t know much about him but when I hear abnormally large OT that’s where my mind goes.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Bruce Feldman did an anonymous scout article ranking the receivers and the guys he talked to apparently think Nabers is the star of the group, then Marvin, then a tier break, then Odunze. They liked Brian Thomas but there’s a lot of projection with him because of his role in LSU’s offense. 

IMG_5150.png

I listen to the Ringer Draft Podcast (née Fantasy Football Podcast) and they’re convinced that if Marvin Harrison Jr’s name were Fred Harrison he wouldn’t be as highly regarded. He’s still an amazing prospect but his name gives him a bump. I think Nabers is in the same tier and like the scouts said, he has an extra gear that MHJ doesn’t. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PS17 said:

I listen to the Ringer Draft Podcast (née Fantasy Football Podcast) and they’re convinced that if Marvin Harrison Jr’s name were Fred Harrison he wouldn’t be as highly regarded. He’s still an amazing prospect but his name gives him a bump. I think Nabers is in the same tier and like the scouts said, he has an extra gear that MHJ doesn’t. 

That show is funny stuff. I like when Solak joins gets dragged into their weird conversations about The Gentlemen’s Piss Club and whatnot. Only problem is that Kelly is supposed to be the Ringer’s bug draft guy and Solak just wipes him out in every discussion of a prospect. 

50 minutes ago, Larz said:

Oh my. Take the OT  Jason at OTC did something similar and he was way down on LB too 

That has shifted significantly over the last few years. Hopefully they’re able to take advantage of other teams drafting like it’s 2003.

Obviously not the second contract thing specifically but positional hit rates are changing.

Drake Maye wanting the Giants, and the Giants being heavily rumored as a trade up team if the Pats choose McCarthy. That’d be a good fit.

This also leaves the Vikings at 11 with no quarterback, right? So the Jets could have the draft fall the way they really want and/or they’ll have options if a team wants one of the super seniors.

12 minutes ago, derp said:

This also leaves the Vikings at 11 with no quarterback, right? So the Jets could have the draft fall the way they really want and/or they’ll have options if a team wants one of the super seniors.

If the jets want a tackle they’re fine.  No issues, just take your favorite one not named alt.  

If they want a wr it’s trickier, but i still would not be surprised if they want BTJ.  Even at 10.  That’s the kind of prospect jd likes and he’s shown he’s not afraid to do it.

increasingly i think we’re staying at 10.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Oh my. Take the OT  Jason at OTC did something similar and he was way down on LB too 

The issue with this list is positions like WR are a lot more important than they were in the 2000s

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

If the jets want a tackle they’re fine.  No issues, just take your favorite one not named alt.  

If they want a wr it’s trickier, but i still would not be surprised if they want BTJ.  Even at 10.  That’s the kind of prospect jd likes and he’s shown he’s not afraid to do it.

increasingly i think we’re staying at 10.  

Very possible two tackles are off the board in that scenario if the Chargers were left unable to move down.

31 minutes ago, derp said:

Very possible two tackles are off the board in that scenario if the Chargers were left unable to move down.

My hunch is that if the top 3 wrs are gone and that really seems likely but who knows - if they’re gone - then, if the jets want a tackle they’re more inclined to trade out of 10 b/c of the depth.  But if they want, say, bowers, btj or even a qb in some scenario, they’re staying at 10

1 hour ago, derp said:

Did you see that report that if the Vikings strike out on Maye, they’re just going to sit tight and take Bo Nix? Sounds crazy, but they just drafted a guy similar to Nix in Jaren Hall. Maybe O’Connell has a type? 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

JJ McCarthy at three because Kraft would be amazing

McCarthy will be a very average QB in the NFL.  Will be very Daniel Jones like.  He'll get a nice payday but whatever team takes him will move on after a few years. He is no Drew Brees.  Hopefully some dumb team trades up with us or some other team takes him in first 9 picks. Pats could be wheeling and dealing here at #3. Trade out of 3 to Giants who take QB Maye. They'd get a nice haul.  At #6 Pats AGAIN trade out with Vikes who have shown interest in Maye and McCarthy for 11 & 23.  JD are you taking notes.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did you see that report that if the Vikings strike out on Maye, they’re just going to sit tight and take Bo Nix? Sounds crazy, but they just drafted a guy similar to Nix in Jaren Hall. Maybe O’Connell has a type? 

I like Bo Nix. I think he will be a better QB than McCarthy.  Those west coast QB's are pretty good. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Nix is allegedly a guy that Denver has done a lot of work on so, again, a potential trade opportunity if they believe the Vikes are gonna snipe him. 

And I agree that it’s all crazy. We’re at the boiling point. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, derp said:

That has shifted significantly over the last few years. Hopefully they’re able to take advantage of other teams drafting like it’s 2003.

Obviously not the second contract thing specifically but positional hit rates are changing.

Jason said the league doesn’t know how to scout WR.  They are very high risk on the first round 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

is there really much of a difference between the two?  i mean would you rather have mccarthy or nix + latham or BTJ?

10 hours ago, PS17 said:

I like the guys at The Ringer but to me this is their worst take in some time. I watched enough of both of these guys in college to say with some confidence that MHJ is special, and on another level. I think it's Nabers who's a little overrated, although I still have him as a guy who will be a solid #1.  

He lacks the true high point skills, catch radius, and focus of MHJ. He may be a little quicker on paper, but at the NFL level everyone's more athletic. The best WRs of all time aren't all speed demons, but they all had special abilities to find and catch the ball. 

Maybe I'll be wrong here, the guys at Ringer have Hella more time and dedication to these things. But I'd bet money on my own take haha

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Drake Maye wanting the Giants, and the Giants being heavily rumored as a trade up team if the Pats choose McCarthy. That’d be a good fit.

Would be incredibly smart and lucky of the Giants to somehow land Maye. I know his stock for whatever reason has declined a bit in the last month (which is hilarious because he didn't play any games to change his value) but I think Maye might turn out to be the best or second best from this QB class.

Caleb has bust written up and down - Jayden's ceiling is immense but on a bad team with a meh defensive coach I can see him having a bust rate. Jayden really needs a quality coach to develop him.

That leaves and Maye and McCarthy and I think McCarthy is a guy who sits for a year or two has a live arm and leadership balls. I think he can be real good if not rushed. If Minnesota ended up with either Maye or McCarthy I can see O'Connell turning them into studs.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Would be incredibly smart and lucky of the Giants to somehow land Maye. I know his stock for whatever reason has declined a bit in the last month (which is hilarious because he didn't play any games to change his value) but I think Maye might turn out to be the best or second best from this QB class.

Caleb has bust written up and down - Jayden's ceiling is immense but on a bad team with a meh defensive coach I can see him having a bust rate. Jayden really needs a quality coach to develop him.

That leaves and Maye and McCarthy and I think McCarthy is a guy who sits for a year or two has a live arm and leadership balls. I think he can be real good if not rushed. If Minnesota ended up with either Maye or McCarthy I can see O'Connell turning them into studs.

I like this take altogether, although I'm not 100% sure Williams will bust. He's going to the Bears though so probably. 

I also see Maye as a guy who should sit for a bit. He has some Herbert/Allen like traits to me. If the giants landed him, I think they'd be wise to keep Jones starting in 2024 (despite the likely fan uproar) to give Maye time to settle in. Daboll helped develop Allen, he can probably figure Maye out. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that’s more of a “please don’t try to extract even more draft capital from us, we’re not *that* desperate to move up” kind of leak.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Larz said:

Jason said the league doesn’t know how to scout WR.  They are very high risk on the first round 

Again, I think that’s changed in recent years. Maybe it’s an aberration but I think it makes sense based on how they’re used in college and how much they’re able to train from a young age with seven on seven and specialized coaching.

I saw that, but to me it reeks of them trying not to get completely bent over the barrel by Arizona.

• Upvote 1

No Nix is older than Darnold, right?🤣

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I like this take altogether, although I'm not 100% sure Williams will bust. He's going to the Bears though so probably. 

I also see Maye as a guy who should sit for a bit. He has some Herbert/Allen like traits to me. If the giants landed him, I think they'd be wise to keep Jones starting in 2024 (despite the likely fan uproar) to give Maye time to settle in. Daboll helped develop Allen, he can probably figure Maye out. 

That's what I'm worried about...Maye going to the Giants and becoming a beast with Daboll. I mean might be better than Maye going to the Patriots and that happening but just an awful thought all around.

• Upvote 1