Rank Jets Current Starters / Coaches

As independent as you can be (and injuries aside for now), where do you rank the current starters and coaches?

Rank by Top 10, Middle 12, Bottom 10 of 32 teams.

My Offense rankings

QB Aaron Rodgers (top 10)

RB Breece Hall (top 10)

WR1 Garrett Wilson (top 10)

2nd best WR option Mike Williams (top 10)

3rd best WR option X Gipson (bottom 10)

TE Tyler Conklin (middle 12)

LT Tyron Smith (top 10)

LG John Simpson (middle 12)

C Joe Tippmann (middle 12)

RG AVT (top 10)

RT Morgan Moses (middle 12)

My Defense rankings

LE Jermaine Johnson (top 10)

DT Kinlaw (bottom 10)

DT Quinnen (top 10)

RE JFM/McDonald (middle 12)

LB Mosley (middle 12)

LB Quincy (top 10)

CB1 Sauce (top 10)

CB2 Reed (top 10)

Slot Carter II (top 10)

FS Adams (middle 12)

SS Clark (bottom 12)

My Specials Teams rankings

K Zuerlein (top 10)

P Mostead (top 10)

Returner Gipson (bottom 10)

My Coaching rankings

HC Saleh (bottom 10)

OC Hackett (bottom 10)

DC Ulbrich (middle 12)

My Top 5 & Bottom 5

Top 5:  DT Quinnen, CB1 Sauce, Slot CB Carter II, LT Smith, RG AVT, K Zuerlein (his % over 50 yards is ridiculous)

Boarderline:  LB Quincy

Bottom 5:  Slot WR Gipson, Returner Gipson, OC Hackett

Boardline:  Saleh

I think that's way too vague, top-10, middle-12, bottom-10.  Like saying Sauce is top-10 is doing him a disservice.  Same as lumping Simpson and Moses into the same category.  Also not sure Gipson would be considered bottom-10 as a returner.  His one PR TD alone should guarantee him at least a spot in the middle 12.

Also how tf is Ulbrich "middle 12" for D coaches?

So, when you say Mike Williams is a “top 10” WR2, I wonder if it would be better to use X, Y, and Z, instead? I think “WR2” is a little hard to define. If you are just using WR2 as a placeholder for “second best WR option on a given team” then I get it. But I think it can be tricky to compare guys who line up primarily in the slot to guys who primarily line up outside. 

anyway, I like a lot of your list 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I think that's way too vague, top-10, middle-12, bottom-10.  Like saying Sauce is top-10 is doing him a disservice.  Same as lumping Simpson and Moses into the same category.  Also not sure Gipson would be considered bottom-10 as a returner.  His one PR TD alone should guarantee him at least a spot in the middle 12.

Feel free to put your own rankings.

I thought wider bands was an easier way to remove excess emotions from the rankings.

Ulbrich has a ton of talent to work with.  I don’t see the matchup flexibility I see in the best coaches.  Letting CeeDee Lamb or Jalen Waddle kill DJ Reed or a soft zone when we can take them out of the game with Sauce Gardner is a prime example. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

So, when you say Mike Williams is a “top 10” WR2, I wonder if it would be better to use X, Y, and Z, instead? I think “WR2” is a little hard to define. If you are just using WR2 as a placeholder for “second best WR option on a given team” then I get it. But I think it can be tricky to compare guys who line up primarily in the slot to guys who primarily line up outside. 

anyway, I like a lot of your list 

Very fair.  I can change that

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I added top 5 and bottom 5.

• Upvote 1

It’s actually a really good roster … but 3 things will be critical IMO.

1. Injury luck, something we don’t seem to have

2. Quality depth.  Still plenty of work to do

3. Coaching.  Can our staff optimize its talent by playing matchup chess?  Or will we continue to be one of the most predictable teams in the League.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

That "not high enough" complaint cuts both ways -- for example, he gave a decidedly generous ranking to CJ Mosley.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

These rankings are wacky - so i'll just go:

Top of the League : Quinnen, Sauce, Carter II, Quincy, Breece, G Wilson, Tyron Smith

Middle of the pack : Reed, Mosley, Conklin, J Johnson

Coaches:

Bottom: Hackett

Top-ish: Ulbrich

No idea: Saleh - I think too much wacky sht has gone on with Zach being QB and that whole fiasco, it's hard to judge. I need to see how the team is with that stank off the team.

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

It’s actually a really good roster … but 3 things will be critical IMO.

1. Injury luck, something we don’t seem to have

2. Quality depth.  Still plenty of work to do

3. Coaching.  Can our staff optimize its talent by playing matchup chess?  Or will we continue to be one of the most predictable teams in the League.  

Yep, it’s a good roster if we’re healthy, which we are never allowed to be lol 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Names please! 

Ok fact checking myself I could not find 20 centers better than Tippy. There are many similar guys (like Robert Hainsey or JMJ but the tie goes to the runner. 

Better C than Tippy: 

Creed Humphrey, KCC 

Frank Ragnow, DET 

Tyler Linderbaumm BAL 

Ryan Kelly, IND 

Erik McCoy, NOS

Tyler Biadasz, WAS

Mitch Morse, JAX 

Corey Linsley, LAC 

David Andrews, NEP 

Lloyd Cushenberry, TEN 

10 guys in the league, making Tippy in that middle tier. But also note the following four rookies could leap frog him almost instantly (especially JPJ who should be a rd1 pick) 

Jackson Powers-Johnson (draft)

Graham Barton (draft) 

Sedrick Van Pran (draft) 

Zach Frazier (draft) 

as for AVT I found 10 better RG easy, 3 more who we could make the case for, and of course the new draft class (which again I'm not counting just listing for context) 

Better RG than AVT: 

Zack Martin, DAL

Kevin Zeitler, DET

Robert Hunt, CAR

Wyatt Teller, CLE 

Cesar Ruiz, NOS

Trey Smith, KCC 

Brandon Scherff, JAX

Mike Onwenu, NEP

James Daniels, PIT 

Quinn Meinerz, DEN

Possibles: 

Jon Runyan, NYG 

Sam Cosmi, WAS 

Shaq Mason, HOU

Draft CLass

Troy Fautanu, Taliese Fuaga, Christian Haynes, Cooper Beebe, Dominick Puni, Zak Zinter 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ok fact checking myself I could not find 20 centers better than Tippy. There are many similar guys (like Robert Hainsey or JMJ but the tie goes to the runner. 

Better C than Tippy: 

Creed Humphrey, KCC 

Frank Ragnow, DET 

Tyler Linderbaumm BAL 

Ryan Kelly, IND 

Erik McCoy, NOS

Tyler Biadasz, WAS

Mitch Morse, JAX 

Corey Linsley, LAC 

David Andrews, NEP 

Lloyd Cushenberry, TEN 

10 guys in the league, making Tippy in that middle tier. But also note the following four rookies could leap frog him almost instantly (especially JPJ who should be a rd1 pick) 

Jackson Powers-Johnson (draft)

Graham Barton (draft) 

Sedrick Van Pran (draft) 

Zach Frazier (draft) 

as for AVT I found 10 better RG easy, 3 more who we could make the case for, and of course the new draft class (which again I'm not counting just listing for context) 

Better RG than AVT: 

Zack Martin, DAL

Kevin Zeitler, DET

Robert Hunt, CAR

Wyatt Teller, CLE 

Cesar Ruiz, NOS

Trey Smith, KCC 

Brandon Scherff, JAX

Mike Onwenu, NEP

James Daniels, PIT 

Quinn Meinerz, DEN

Possibles: 

Jon Runyan, NYG 

Sam Cosmi, WAS 

Shaq Mason, HOU

Draft CLass

Troy Fautanu, Taliese Fuaga, Christian Haynes, Cooper Beebe, Dominick Puni, Zak Zinter 

Yea, 10 centers is more reasonable.  

as for guards, these look reasonable with the exception being Onwenu. There’s no evidence he’s a better guard than AVT, unless you are just saying he’s been more durable?  

As for the rookies, all of that is TBD. We have no idea what any of those guys will be in the pros. Statements like “the following 4 rookies COULD leapfrog him instantly” are meaningless in this context. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yea, 10 centers is more reasonable.  

as for guards, these look reasonable with the exception being Onwenu. There’s no evidence he’s a better guard than AVT, unless you are just saying he’s been more durable?  

As for the rookies, all of that is TBD. We have no idea what any of those guys will be in the pros. Statements like “the following 4 rookies COULD leapfrog him instantly” are meaningless in this context. 

yes i admit the rookies are not counted I'm just throwing them out there  "For fun".

When JPJ gets drafted in late rd 1 that's probably going to boost him into that Tippy neighborhood instantly

Onwenu vs AVT is a tight call i could see it going either way. But I also don't know if AVT is worth 60 mil on the open market when that time comes 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure I can name 10 right guards better than avt and 20 centers better than tippy 

Yeah I'd agree -- in terms of talent, AVT has that level ability, but I'm not wow/omg watching him like he's a half-notch below Nelson or something. 

Also Tippmann was just ok as a rookie. I expect him to get better, rather than his rookie season being his ceiling - he definitely looked better later in the season than when he first took over from McG at center - but based on the body of work at the NFL level, yeah he's probably nominally in the bottom half. It's nothing near tragic-level like the Wesley Johnson/Spencer Long years, but he needs to show it for more than a couple games before he's definitively placed as anything more than that.

He's top 3 in hair for a center, though.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Onwenu vs AVT is a tight call i could see it going either way. But I also don't know if AVT is worth 60 mil on the open market when that time comes 

Perhaps, yes - primarily because of the injury history. 

I think if he has a healthy year this year and plays like himself, then he easily could be. 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Perhaps, yes - primarily because of the injury history. 

I think if he has a healthy year this year and plays like himself, then he easily could be. 

Will the Jets even pick up his 5th year option? 

It's hard to say "no" and then claim he's a top 10 RG 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Will the Jets even pick up his 5th year option? 

It's hard to say "no" and then claim he's a top 10 RG 

I figured they will, but we’ll find out soon. Deadline is in May.

Listen, I agree. But like I said, he’s a tricky case because the issue you have with him are the back to back season-ending injuries. They are 100% picking it up if they chalk up the past two years to just bad luck. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I figured they will, but we’ll find out soon. Deadline is in May.

Listen, I agree. But like I said, he’s a tricky case because the issue you have with him are the back to back season-ending injuries. They are 100% picking it up if they chalk up the past two years to just bad luck. 

i also agree with you he's excellent when healthy but he hasn't been healthy since 2021 

the Achilies rehab on a 300+ pound man is very different than the rehab on a skill position guy, by the way

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

These rankings are wacky - so i'll just go:

Top of the League : Quinnen, Sauce, Carter II, Quincy, Breece, G Wilson, Tyron Smith

Middle of the pack : Reed, Mosley, Conklin, J Johnson

Coaches:

Bottom: Hackett

Top-ish: Ulbrich

No idea: Saleh - I think too much wacky sht has gone on with Zach being QB and that whole fiasco, it's hard to judge. I need to see how the team is with that stank off the team.

Ulbrich is "Top-ish"?  For what reason?  He has excellent players to work with (Top of the League : Quinnen, Sauce, Carter II, Quincy) and they do well.  When he had a crappy defense, he was giving up 54 points to Mac Jones.

To me, a great coach is someone who gets more than expected out of his talent.  Ulbrich has been "meets expectations", imo.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i also agree with you he's excellent when healthy but he hasn't been healthy since 2021 

the Achilies rehab on a 300+ pound man is very different than the rehab on a skill position guy, by the way

Yep. I’m definitely concerned about the Achilles. It will be very telling to see if he’s ready to roll in camp or how far away he is. That’s a really bad injury.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Ulbrich is "Top-ish"?  For what reason?  He has excellent players to work with (Top of the League : Quinnen, Sauce, Carter II, Quincy) and they do well.  When he had a crappy defense, he was giving up 54 points to Mac Jones.

To me, a great coach is someone who gets more than expected out of his talent.  Ulbrich has been "meets expectations", imo.

the narrative that Jeff Ulbrich is top 10 DC is based on the idea that Saleh is a moron who doesn't do anything but run stairs all-day 

when really it's Saleh's defense 100 percent and Ulbrich is just along for the ride 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yep. I’m definitely concerned about the Achilles. It will be very telling to see if he’s ready to roll in camp or how far away he is. That’s a really bad injury.

if we're being totally honest AVT and Moses might not be ready for camp and Tyron Smith is 50/50 to play any given Sunday based on decades of neck stuff 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don’t think you can penalize AVT in this exercise, otherwise half the Jets offense gets dinged.

When healthy, AVT is definitely a top 10 RG, and the Jets would definitely pick up his 5th year option based on talent. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

if we're being totally honest AVT and Moses might not be ready for camp and Tyron Smith is 50/50 to play any given Sunday based on decades of neck stuff 

Agreed about Moses and AVT - which is why I’d be very happy with an OL at 10. 

with smith, I think it’s notable that he hasn’t missed a playoff game and has played in most of the big games Dallas has had over the last number of years. It seems like his issues are more about managing pain and discomfort. I’m confident he’ll make a meaningful contribution. But it’s clear the OL needs more depth, especially at tackle. 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jets need to add a quality swing OT ready to start at a moment’s notice.  Possibly in first round.  LT and RT versatility.

They also need to add some more quality Guard depth due to AVT’s injury history.  

In my perfect world,

Round 1:  Trade down and pick up 2nd rounder.  Select OT

Round 2:  WR

Round 3:  Guard

Round 4:  QB

Round 4:  WR

Defensive depth rest of the way.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

the narrative that Jeff Ulbrich is top 10 DC is based on the idea that Saleh is a moron who doesn't do anything but run stairs all-day 

when really it's Saleh's defense 100 percent and Ulbrich is just along for the ride 

i was just going to post this. 

but most people hate Saleh so your right, they think he just runs up stairs. if he gets fired this defense will take a hit.

• Upvote 1