One Potential Draft Strategy That Hasn't Really Been Discussed

Trade down (maybe get an extra 3rd rounder) and take Bowers.  Trade the 2 3rd rounders to move up and grab a WR.

The main difference in this strategy would be that it would add 2 weapons and ignore OL in the 1st 2 days.  The only way I could see JD doing this would be if he feels he has more depth at OL than fans think.  e.g. maybe he's very optimistic about Carter Warren?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Assuming no surprises and none of the big 3 wrs or Alt are there, I am kind of hoping for a trade down.   Jacksonville at 17 could be a good candidate and may be willing to give up a second for 10 and maybe a 4th.

Bowers at 17th with an extra pick in the second is much more palatable than TE at 10. And if he is gone before 17th then take an OL at that spot or WR.  

See the Jet Nation draft.  People may not agree about the WR I took but I traded down to 20 to get a 2nd and a 6th, i then traded up to get olu Fashanu at 17 and then traded up a bit in the 2nd to get keon coleman.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

See the Jet Nation draft.  People may not agree about the WR I took but I traded down to 20 to get a 2nd and a 6th, i then traded up to get olu Fashanu at 17 and then traded up a bit in the 2nd to get keon coleman.

That would be an amazing draft for JD, unfortunately he doesn't seem to have a feel for how to make those moves and we get stuck with a 24 year-old DE project who would have been available 20 picks later.    

Personally, I think JD is moving up for one of Nabors/Odunze

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

That would be an amazing draft for JD, unfortunately he doesn't seem to have a feel for how to make those moves and we get stuck with a 24 year-old DE project who would have been available 20 picks later.    

Personally, I think JD is moving up for one of Nabors/Odunze

With no 2nd rounder and a need for a tackle i don’t see a trade up.  And while i advocate a trade back, i don’t think jd would trade too far back b/c he probably has a few guys in mind and wants to stick to his board.  Ultimately, i believe jd stays at 10 and takes either his favorite wr if a top 3 guy falls (doubtful IMO) or his favorite tackle 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

With no 2nd rounder and a need for a tackle i don’t see a trade up.  And while i advocate a trade back, i don’t think jd would trade too far back b/c he probably has a few guys in mind and wants to stick to his board.  Ultimately, i believe jd stays at 10 and takes either his favorite wr if a top 3 guy falls (doubtful IMO) or his favorite tackle 

I don’t hate taking an OT but i do hate the idea that we can only find OL in rd 1.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I don’t think they trade up either. But I do think if they trade back it’ll be one of those draft day deals where a guy now in the top five falls and some team wants to move up a few spots to grab him.  Or maybe the guy the jets truly want is picked up early and they don’t need the ten spot for plan B.

Other teams, besides the jets, do make head scratchers in the draft.  No telling what QBs or other players will be taken until the draft actually occurs.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:08 AM, LionelRichie said:

I don’t hate taking an OT but i do hate the idea that we can only find OL in rd 1.  

100% with you. And the top guys seem to have enough ? That I would steer clear. Trading down is tough because there is only 12 to16 or so elite players in the draft

2 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

100% with you. And the top guys seem to have enough ? That I would steer clear. Trading down is tough because there is only 12 to16 or so elite players in the draft

Which is made harder by the fact that nobody knows which 12-16 players will actually end up being elite.

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2024 at 8:09 PM, Beerfish said:

That was well done Beer.

I definitely could see that happening......just unsure which players/position would come in the 1st and 2nd round.

Could be Bowers/OT

Could be WR/OT

Could be OT/WR

I don't think they would do Bowers & a WR in the 1st and 2nd. Just my opinion.