What Joe Douglas latest media news conference tells me.

If we are reading the tea leaves, this is what JD divulged during his recent press conference:

1.  A special tight end can act like a swiss army knife, in that you can move him around, and he can really put pressure on the defense.  I'm paraphrasing here.

2.  We love our tight end room, with Conklin and Ruck!  And others.

3. If we were to draft a tight end, he would have to fight Conklin and Ruck for the starting slot.  Nothing is to be handed to anybody.

4. We need to be mindful of the injuries to our offensive line of the past, like 38 offensive line combinations.  (I don't know about you, but I need to be mindful that I don't walk in dog sh*t when walking down the sidewalk!  What does mindful even mean?)

5.  We have 10 players that we would be happy with at #10, even if only 1 QB is picked before us.

So, what does all this tell us?

If I try to read through all the BS that JD is offering, my gut tells me that he wants a playmaker at #10, but will take an offensive lineman if certain situations presents itself, and can move down if the right situation presents itself.

Other than that, I can't wait until Thursday, because I need someone else to tell me what all this means!

It sounds to me that he is saying that a Tight End is Tight End, not a “weapon” that can be a kind of WR.  That actually makes some sense. 

If he has Conklin and Ruckert, he does not know how much Bowers will play.  

I would be looking at Odunze and then an OL.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

JD needs to win. His contact expires and he has not been renewed due to not having one winning season in his tenure. He will draft a playmaker at 10 when prob the smart move is to take a tackle. Let’s see how it plays out 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alka said:

If we are reading the tea leaves, this is what JD divulged during his recent press conference:

1.  A special tight end can act like a swiss army knife, in that you can move him around, and he can really put pressure on the defense.  I'm paraphrasing here.

2.  We love our tight end room, with Conklin and Ruck!  And others.

3. If we were to draft a tight end, he would have to fight Conklin and Ruck for the starting slot.  Nothing is to be handed to anybody.

4. We need to be mindful of the injuries to our offensive line of the past, like 38 offensive line combinations.  (I don't know about you, but I need to be mindful that I don't walk in dog sh*t when walking down the sidewalk!  What does mindful even mean?)

5.  We have 10 players that we would be happy with at #10, even if only 1 QB is picked before us.

So, what does all this tell us?

If I try to read through all the BS that JD is offering, my gut tells me that he wants a playmaker at #10, but will take an offensive lineman if certain situations presents itself, and can move down if the right situation presents itself.

Other than that, I can't wait until Thursday, because I need someone else to tell me what all this means!

Gee thanks JD! Couldnt have figured that out without all that insight.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

JD needs to win. His contact expires and he has not been renewed due to not having one winning season in his tenure. He will draft a playmaker at 10 when prob the smart move is to take a tackle. Let’s see how it plays out 

Havent you ever seen 'Good Will Hunting'. Its not his fault. JD, for all his other faults, just picked the wrong QB.  But then  exacerbated the mess by trading away vital draft picks necessarily to get Rodgers when there was no one else willing to take on Rodgers. And continued to screw things up by sticking with Wilson to save face.  Most GM's would have been fired by now. But JD had a spectacular draft in 20222. But still, as you stated, he hasnt had a winning season.  Not good. This is his last dance to salvage continuing as GM of the Jets.Its either deep in the playoffs or sayonara.  There are no more excuses. 

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I'm not convinced he takes a 'playmaker' at 10 if one (Odunze, Nabers) is not there.  A blue chip tackle ready to step in and play at a igh level is even more important.  Protecting Rodgers is paramount.  I could see if Nabers or Odunze are there, you take one or the other. Ok they are just rare specimens that are hard to pass up. As is Bowers but TE is less a prductive positon. Look at Pitts in Altanta. Hasnt done much.  Lousy QB play but again that position is historically a very different weapon than WR.  So Bowers? Really? He's not going to add that much to the offense. Conklin had a very very good year behind crap QB's. Bowers will just be sitting behind him as well.  TE's take time to develop and Bowers is not a conventional TE and lacks ummmph in the running game which we will be doing a lot of. So if Nabers/Odunze are there, take one and sign a vet swingman and draft an OL at 72, and draft a slot like Malik Washington at 111.  Offense is set.  But if both are gone best move would be to trade back and get an extra pick and take an OL in round 1 since there are like 8 very good OL prospects a to be had in round 1. But, what happens if he cant trade back like last year and he took McDuck. Oh nooooo. Dont force feed the pick with BPA, like Bowers.  Just take the best tackle left on your board even if its a slight reach like Fantanau, Fuaga, Mims. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I’m thinking his thinking is he wants one of the top 3 WRs or Bowers. He feels with 4 QBs and Alt likely all going before our pick. That he’s likely to land Bowers or one of the 3 WRs. But if he talks up Bowers. That might increase the chances of that 3rd WR falling to them. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m thinking his thinking is he wants one of the top 3 WRs or Bowers. He feels with 4 QBs and Alt likely all going before our pick. That he’s likely to land Bowers or one of the 3 WRs. But if he talks up Bowers. That might increase the chances of that 3rd WR falling to them. 

I thinking a little differently.  I think he is talking up Bowers, to make people think he wants Bowers, so that teams that really want Bowers will trade up with the Jets, and the Jets can get back a 2nd round pick.

• Upvote 1

These press conferences are pointless. Bc they have to answer questions but don’t want to say too much. This is true for every GM. And your average fan gets upset that the interview was rather pointless. When that’s what the interview is supposed to be if you’re a GM. Where no team can watch it and tell what you’ll do.

The only time oddly it seemed JD got nervous about a question was when asked about AVTs 5th year option. Which is quite a decision to make. Similar path to Becton but when on the field is always good. Which wasn’t the case with Becton after his rookie year. I do think we pick it up though.

20 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

JD has proven that at best, he is an average GM with a well below average record.....

I'm somewhat bewildered by the JD era.  I feel like he's added a lot of talent but the record hasn't really improved.  And the team still seems to have a lot of short-term fixes (1 year deals) that pretty urgently need to be filled.  

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm somewhat bewildered by the JD era.  I feel like he's added a lot of talent but the record hasn't really improved.  And the team still seems to have a lot of short-term fixes (1 year deals) that pretty urgently need to be filled.  

Because he doesn’t draft well……. YOU could have done better in 5 years.  1 very good draft.   Thats it.  

• Upvote 1