Penn State site's scout on 1st Rd Pick Olu Fashanu

8 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I’ve already seen 2 bad grades for the pick, nothing to do with the player, but b/c they insist the jets must win now and the only way to do this is to take Brock bowers. 

Guarantee that if the Jets picked Bowers they would criticize it. What did CBS give the Raiders for picking him - a C?

pundits: “Bowers should be the pick, best available athlete, blah blah”

With the 11th pick in the drat the Jets pick Bowers

Pundits: “Great athlete but I don’t fully understand the pick when the OL is an injury away from disaster. I get it as a weapon for Aaron but the Jets already have a couple of young talented TEs. Short sited. B- “

• Upvote 1

I was fully on the WR bandwagon, but only if one of the big 3 fell to us. Barring that, I thought we should go OL. So the first round went as expected, and I am happy we got a top OL since we couldn't get one of the top 3 receivers. I think, or at least hope, most of the WR crowd feel the same way. We couldn't get one of the big 3, so take a top OL instead.

I just hope this guy works out better than our last first round OT...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Small hands, lacks a punch, meh in the run game, super duper green, injury history to back up veteran T's w/ an injury history.  Just because they took OL, doesnt make them "smart."  Such an elementary way to look at things. 

Were they smart when they took Becton?  Was it smart to trade picks for AVT?   No, ofcourse not.  These we stupid decisions.   Lets just hope this one isnt because this is no where near a DBrick type guarantee, ya'll high trying to push that claim.  This is a very flawed prospect to take at 11.  That's not even getting into the fact that if all goes well, he doesnt even see the F'ing field in a win now season. 

And I think my favorite part about this pick, is he will need to be developed and every single ******* one of you,  HATES our OL coach.  lmfao

It makes them very smart. This is not just for having a back up LT this year its also about grooming a future 15 year LT to protect the QB . Most LT's are meh in the run game but with a back Like Breece just get your hands on a guy and its enough and Im sure he will be more than meh he has the smarts and capability to develop in that area. 733 pass protection situations zero sacks with a team that plays a big time college schedule.

You cite Becton but he was a guy you were defending against me just this year a guy who absolutely sucked and IMHO showed little promise his whole time here IMO.  Fashanu is a smart kid Ive watched him on a few interviews and I think the smarts is what swayed the Jets. Sure its possible they were hoping Nabers, Harrion or Odunze fell to them but it was going to be either a LT or a WR all along ...If this was option 2 then it will be a good one we can only hope

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

It makes them very smart. This is not just for having a back up LT this year its also about grooming a future 15 year LT to protect the QB . Most LT's are meh in the run game but with a back Like Breece just get your hands on a guy and its enough and Im sure he will be more than meh he has the smarts and capability to develop in that area. 733 pass protection situations zero sacks with a team that plays a big time college schedule.

You cite Becton but he was a guy you were defending against me just this year a guy who absolutely sucked and IMHO showed little promise his whole time here IMO.  Fashanu is a smart kid Ive watched him on a few interviews and I think the smarts is what swayed the Jets. Sure its possible they were hoping Nabers, Harrion or Odunze fell to them but it was going to be either a LT or a WR all along ...If this was option 2 then it will be a good one we can only hope

No, it doesnt.  Safe isnt always smart.  And his interview swayed the Jets and not his play, well **** me is that stupid.   If he's a bust, it's a colossal mistake in a win now window.  That's great they drafted for the future but there is no guarantee that the 3rd T off the board, is a slam dunk 15 year starter.  I hope so, that would be great but he's not that guy today, so you're hoping you can develop him into that guy and I'll remind you, every poster here has complained about their OL coach. 

I have major concerns w/ this prospect, hope I'm wrong.

33 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

No, it doesnt.  Safe isnt always smart.  And his interview swayed the Jets and not his play, well **** me is that stupid.   If he's a bust, it's a colossal mistake in a win now window.  That's great they drafted for the future but there is no guarantee that the 3rd T off the board, is a slam dunk 15 year starter.  I hope so, that would be great but he's not that guy today, so you're hoping you can develop him into that guy and I'll remind you, every poster here has complained about their OL coach. 

But he was the #2 OT on a lot of boards

12 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

As alway's we do have to wait and see but some guys mocked him higher and the first T taken so we'll see what happens. Also if you think a player is smart and that works in to how you evaluate players then Yeah I want smarter players that may be close in talent to those around them. A smart player is really important IMHO and in a close evaluation the smarter player is probably getting the nod

On 4/25/2024 at 7:27 PM, Jetkwondo said:

Would Tom Brady have been a 16th round pick if the draft stayed at 30 rounds. Doubtful! 

Repeat 20 times!  What was that!

I have read this post four times. Still have no idea what it means. But I think you might be ripping on Brady so I like it. 

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I have read this post four times. Still have no idea what it means. But I think you might be ripping on Brady so I like it. 

Sorry, no mystery ... I was watching the draft when there was a glitch in the feed that literally kept repeating that line specific line over and over, and over  at least 20 times which I thought was absurd!

Figured everyone had the same experience and would  get what an annoying joke it was to hear Brady brought up that way!.. LOL  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, viffer said:

I was fully on the WR bandwagon, but only if one of the big 3 fell to us. Barring that, I thought we should go OL. So the first round went as expected, and I am happy we got a top OL since we couldn't get one of the top 3 receivers. I think, or at least hope, most of the WR crowd feel the same way. We couldn't get one of the big 3, so take a top OL instead.

I just hope this guy works out better than our last first round OT...

This guy is nothing like Becton... He loves the game and that alone should translate into better effort on the field than Becton, and second he's not 390-400 lbs so he'll most likely stay in better football shape than we've ever seen Becton in.

21 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I watch every PSU game. While he may not be a mauler and there are skills that he has to work on, he looks like a guy that can be a 15-year starter that you can plug and play into an offense and not worry about. Will he be an All-Pro? That I can not say. But he will be consistent, you will not see many missed assignments and he is smart. There are not many breakdowns on his side of the line. 

He was raw when he transferred from Maryland, and his game progressed, which I hope means that he is coachable. He was also selected as one of the team captains this year, which tells you what his coaches and teammates think about him. 

He could have declared after the previous season, and been selected fairly high, but he chose to stay another season. That would indicate to me there is some maturity there, even at the tender age of 21, which he is now. 

While the ceiling may not be perennial all-pro, the floor can certainly be a keystone of a line for a decade and a half. Hopefully, someone coaches him up.

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2024 at 10:04 PM, Ghost said:

People on here are shocked like OT is not an actual need. It was OL or WR the entire time. The 3 receivers were gone by 10. What the **** did you guys want JD to do? People just love to bitch. 

We took our future LT AND gained a 4th and 5th round pick. Stfu. 

So we got a 4th and 5th for absolutely nothing but a poker bluff. Think about this: we traded Zach for a 6th and gave up a 7th LOLOLOL. And that was GENEROUS.

3 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

Sorry, no mystery ... I was watching the draft when there was a glitch in the feed that literally kept repeating that line specific line over and over, and over  at least 20 times which I thought was absurd!

Figured everyone had the same experience and would  get what an annoying joke it was to hear Brady brought up that way!.. LOL  

Ha!  I missed that.  I probably would have thought I was having a seizure....which wouldn't be uncommon when the Jets are drafting!

• Haha 1