Let's look at Jets OL after the Fashanu pick.....

damn rose colored glassed on my part.
Well crap, so we got a third and couple 4ths. if we can get one lineman that is decent its a win. but we really need a decent wr and lineman.
We selected Tippy to be a starter as soon as possible. Anyone we get this year will get a longer timeframe, we're really only going to expect a competent backup at first.

A 4th round OG who can backup, and potentially develop into a starter in 2-3 years, is perfectly fine IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Connor McGovern - Last year's starting center who is now an unrestricted free agent.  Jets would probably love to have him back at a reduced contract

I don't understand why the Jets don't pounce on Connor McGovern?  I always thought he was a solid backup.  

Maybe I am just not seeing it?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alka said:

I don't understand why the Jets don't pounce on Connor McGovern?  I always thought he was a solid backup.  

Bunch of talented athletic iOL in this class and they've probably only got room for one more iOL on the roster. No harm in giving yourself the flexibility to take one to develop via the draft and signing him after if you don't draft anybody.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Start the best 5 combo. You put a ridiculous line consisting of 

Smith AVT Tippman Olu Moses

Breece will get 2500 all purpose yards behind this line

I really like Fashanu as a franchise LT. I hate the idea of him at guard. It takes away from his strengths and exposes his weaknesses. 

• Upvote 2

He had a bad injury last year as I recall ... maybe they want to get younger / less wear and tear at that backup spot.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I totally agree, but AVT may not be healthy/ready to start the season, and they may have Smith and Moses on snap counts.  I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing the starting 5 play all that much before the start of the season.

Yeah, it's leaning into it being the EXACT same scenario it's been for the last 4-5 years where hurt guys sit the training camp and the line never gels.  They have Max Mitchel playing LT last year just to make us go insane in the preseason.  They need to quit being cute and get the line working for realz yo. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Youre seeing - it would be an absolute no-brainer given the win-now mode of this team combined with McGovern's attitude with respect to openly saying he wants to help tippman.  McG has made $33 million in his career, more then enough for anyone who isnt a complete idiot, so keeping him here another year at $2 million would be an excellent depth move.  Maybe they are waiting for him to be healthy?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Brian O'Neil tore his Achilles week 17 in 2022, he was ready to play week 1 in 2023 and played great.

AVT tore his Achilles week 5. I'm not worried.  I am more concerned about his general ability to stay healthy.

Keep him at OG and he will be fine... he is not an OT even though he played well there. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jamesr said:

We selected Tippy to be a starter as soon as possible. Anyone we get this year will get a longer timeframe, we're really only going to expect a competent backup at first.

A 4th round OG who can backup, and potentially develop into a starter in 2-3 years, is perfectly fine IMO.

A 4th round guard in this draft could be someone like Christian Mahogany or Zach Zinter both of whom would be awesome value picks and possible day 1 starters.  The issue for us is the overall roster and OL numbers.

As of today these are locks for the roster:

Center - Tip

Guard - AVT and Simpson

OT - Smith, Moses and Olu

Probable for the roster is warren as he is probably good enough to not give up on after 1 year since he has RT potential. So thats 7.  Generally a team keeps 8 OL and while I have no problem with 9, we also will likely carry 3 QBs which makes it hard.  We need to have a backup center - so if we take another guard in the 4th like Mahogany/zinter, they have to make the team so thats your 8.  You would almost have to have them work at center all minicamp and TC to be the backup to Tippman otherwise you sign mcgovern and keep 9 OL.