Should The New York Jets DRAFT A Quarterback In Round 1 In 2025? | Mocked Multiple QB's Over & Over

TuscanyTile2

They need to consider a QB in either round 1 or 2 in 2025.

Reason being, the only way to afford extensions for the 2022 draft class is to have Rogers come off the books after the 2025 season and have a QB on a rookie contract.  Picking a QB early and letting them sitting behind Rogers for a year and then compete with Jordan Travis gives us a lot of flexibility moving forward.  You also get to put a young QB into a situation with a good defense and a hopefully excellent center and LT - who will also both be on their rookie contracts.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Alka said:

Have we already decided that Jordan Travis is chopped liver?

Pretty much. 

I mean it's always a possibility but he's a long shot and when dealing with the QB position you have give yourself as many chances as possible.

A first round QB last year was the right move - and now taking one next year in the 1st would also be the right move.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Pretty much. 

I mean it's always a possibility but he's a long shot and when dealing with the QB position you have give yourself as many chances as possible.

A first round QB last year was the right move - and now taking one next year in the 1st would also be the right move.

Which QB available wasnt a long shot at 11?  
Bo Nix?  
OK

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You take whoever was the best one on their board at the time.  If it was Bo Nix then sure.   

We have been in QB purgatory for far too long.  Can't continue to just hope late round picks pan out.

Did you hit your head and just forget about Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson?!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Depends if they see a guy with a path to being a top of the league type player and are able to acquire him. If they can take a shot at going the Mahomes/Allen/Jackson path, developing a high upside guy as a good team without needing to rush him and toss him into a trash situation then they absolutely should.

I’d argue if it’s looking like they’re only going to be able to bring a game manager type in the draft then they should put assets into the offense and try to grab a veteran bridge type.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You take whoever was the best one on their board at the time.  If it was Bo Nix then sure.   

We have been in QB purgatory for far too long.  Can't continue to just hope late round picks pan out.

No you absolutely do not take Bo Nix at 11.  
Taking a day two QB at 11 because he’s the next best QB on your board is dumb.  He’s still a 2nd or 3rd tier QB who’s a backup at best.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Personally I’m super pumped for next offseason’s “The Jets are very interested in signing Dak Prescott” news cycle(s) after Rodgers skulks off into semi-retirement. 

Always two or three steps ahead.  Not only do you have AR “skulking” into semi retirement but the Jets then signing Dak 

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Can't continue to just hope late round picks pan out.

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you suggesting we stop trying because they failed?

Did I say that? 

You stated that we can't continue to just hope late round picks pan out (see above quote) and I was reminding you that we took QB's within the top 3 twice in the last 6 years. I mean come on. Your statement is kind of moronic.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Did I say that? 

You stated that we can't continue to just hope late round picks pan out (see above quote) and I was reminding you that we took QB's within the top 3 twice in the last 6 years. I mean come on. Your statement is kind of moronic.

The poster I was replying to  - was saying the QB pick this year was sufficient.  I was replying to specific comment.  I was saying you can't count on that as a plan. 

And you chose personal attacks rather than either reading or asking for an explanation.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The poster I was replying to  - was saying the QB pick this year was sufficient.  I was replying to specific comment.  I was saying you can't count on that as a plan. 

And you chose personal attacks rather than either reading or asking for an explanation.

It doesn't surprise me that you would be in favor of overdrafting a QB in the first round this past draft. Makes total sense.

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you suggesting we stop trying because they failed?

yes.

you want to keep some of this young talent we got like GW, Hall, Sause, JJ? 

Just when they are up for contracts you want to take a chance that we dont draft a Zach or Darnold again? 

get the best FA available. it will keep us relevant in the 8-10 win range. it will keep these guys from leaving until we get a better QB. force a rookie down there throats who starts throwing bouncing balls and there gone and so are we.

and of course we got to give this QB 3 years because one year is not enough for you and half this fan base including the Jets. there is no way there staying for 3 years of another Zach Wilson to ruin there careers. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, derp said:

Depends if they see a guy with a path to being a top of the league type player and are able to acquire him. If they can take a shot at going the Mahomes/Allen/Jackson path, developing a high upside guy as a good team without needing to rush him and toss him into a trash situation then they absolutely should.

I’d argue if it’s looking like they’re only going to be able to bring a game manager type in the draft then they should put assets into the offense and try to grab a veteran bridge type.

This is exactly why you look at the position in next years draft - so that we can keep this roster together and let the QB develop for a year.

I also dont think you can simply see a guy who is going to be Mahomes/Allen or Lamar  - its just not that easy.  But what helps the QB is having a roster around him to succeed.  Was Joe Flacco a game manager - pretty much, yes.  But Baltimore took him in the bottom half of the first round when they had a good line and elite defense and wound winning a SB.  Its too hard to say if Carson Beck or Riley Leonard will be game managers or turn into top 5/6 QBs but you still need to take a shot to see if they do pan out while providing a roster that can allow them to develop

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This is exactly why you look at the position in next years draft - so that we can keep this roster together and let the QB develop for a year.

I also dont think you can simply see a guy who is going to be Mahomes/Allen or Lamar  - its just not that easy.  But what helps the QB is having a roster around him to succeed.  Was Joe Flacco a game manager - pretty much, yes.  But Baltimore took him in the bottom half of the first round when they had a good line and elite defense and wound winning a SB.  Its too hard to say if Carson Beck or Riley Leonard will be game managers or turn into top 5/6 QBs but you still need to take a shot to see if they do pan out while providing a roster that can allow them to develop

Of course it’s not easy to identify a player who *will* be that level of quarterback. That’s why I used “with a path to being”. All of those guys had standout physical traits that pointed to them having special upside - that’s kind of what it takes nowadays.

There are examples of game manager types working, yes. It’s happened less and less over the last several years as the high end guys have been pretty dominant. Furthermore, mid level veteran quarterbacks are hitting the market nowadays and can be acquired.

You can argue that a team with a young capable game manager quarterback and elite surrounding talent can win a Super Bowl. That absolutely has happened. I just don’t think the Jets are a good situation for it.

The roster long term has some key holes they’ve put band aids on with veterans. They’re going to need to pay the young stars rather than having them remain cheap. Accordingly, I think the roster will get worse.

It’s probably okay to prop up a young quarterback temporarily, but if they can’t get over the hump with Rodgers and this current roster I think a worse quarterback (game manager level rookie) and worse roster (high end young players becoming the highly paid guys and the cheap younger players being back filled by the QB downgrade since that’s where the premium draft capital goes) is just a recipe to stay in kind of QB purgatory.

Given that long winded set of thoughts, I think the path to being a championship level roster is chasing upside at quarterback while they have the time and ecosystem to support him better than anyone they have in quite some time. But if that guy isn’t there I think they’re better off building up young talent and trying to succeed on the margins at QB. Again, just my opinion.

I think a great deal will depend on how this year's class performs.  A ton of QBs went early.  It is a copycat league and the QB position has changed dramatically in college IMO.  If these guys all flame out, higher level prospects will be available later.  If the older prospects like Nix and Rattler do well, then those types of guys will be elevated.  People were in full melt down mode when these guys were interviewing QBs and wasting visits on them, but I think it is super important every year to rate your QBs, rank them and then see how they perform and why.  Did they fail because of situation/fit?  Was there something in their interview you should have caught?  The time to figure that out is when you are selecting DEs and OTs in the first, not when you are sitting there at 2 or 3 overall.

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2024 at 9:57 AM, FidelioJet said:

Pretty much. 

On 7/4/2024 at 1:28 PM, FidelioJet said:

Jordan Travis is a bust but you got to take chances but also, just take whatever QB is on the board, doesn’t matter if they are being over drafted or the 10th QB picked, as long as they don’t go in the late rounds. 

Fido is a true QB guru.  

• Haha 1