Another Death

11 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Just awful. I've lost my brother and my father to cancer. Just a terrible Jets fans are the best.

Prevention is the best defense. After that it's early detection. Go for your physical once a year. Men, don't fear the finger up the can...they don't do that anymore. A blood test is far more reliable.

Go for a colonoscopy. The prep is the worst but the procedure is a cake walk. I've even had to endure a cystoscopy which is pretty rough but I'd rather live to see my kids have grandkids. Treat your life like it means something.

I turned 45 a few months ago. It's time for me to start doing all of those exams. 🙁

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Dang. I figured this was Shannon Doherty thread. She lost her battle with cancer it seems. ☹️

Was sad to hear this. She was such a beauty. Tough girl and dealt with it as gracefully as any person could. RIP

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I turned 45 a few months ago. It's time for me to start doing all of those exams. 🙁

My biggest fear (other than the cystoscopy) was the colonoscopy. That really turned out to be nothing. The prep sucks but that mostly because you get no sleep. The actual procedure you don't even remember. I remember counting backwards from 10 and reaching 7. The next thing I remember was the doctor shaking me to wake me up back in my room. 

Colon cancer is extremely preventable. You might have to wait until you are 50 though.

Just go for annual physicals. So many things can be caught just through the blood work.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Get on it. I’ve had 5+ colonoscopies over my lifetime. Had all sorts of GI problems as a kid and into early adulthood. Turns out I am lactose intolerant.

I work in health tech. The numbers behind early screening and prevention are legit. Cologuard is a blessing. 

None of us are super human. Better to be uncomfortable than regretful.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Dang. I figured this was Shannon Doherty thread. She lost her battle with cancer it seems. ☹️

Yep, she did - she was just 53 years old.

The truth of the matter is, over 8,000 people die in the U.S. every single day.

Most of them, we don't even hear about.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Yep, she did - she was just 53 years old.

The truth of the matter is, over 8,000 people die in the U.S. every single day.

Most of them, we don't even hear about.

I’ll reserve my right to care when a public figure who I have an affinity for passes. Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Get on it. I’ve had 5+ colonoscopies over my lifetime. Had all sorts of GI problems as a kid and into early adulthood. Turns out I am lactose intolerant.

I work in health tech. The numbers behind early screening and prevention are legit. Cologuard is a blessing. 

None of us are super human. Better to be uncomfortable than regretful.

Realizing the bolded part has really hit me hard the last few years. I've been having a tough time coming to grips with the fact that I'm not young anymore. 

Since turning 40, I'm on two types of blood pressure medications, and developed carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands and plantar fasciitis in my right foot.

Getting old sucks.

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’ll reserve my right to care when a public figure who I have an affinity for passes. Thanks.

Let me be perfectly clear to you & anybody else who happens to read this;

The point of my post wasn't to call you out for "caring for a public figure you have an affinity for" or to call you out in any way, for that matter.

My point was there are over 8 thousand lives lost every single day in this country, that get no attention whatsoever.

Just because these common, every-day folks weren't famous, or well known - doesn't mean that their deaths are any less tragic, or insignificant.

I'm not looking for anyone's approval here, just stating a cold, hard fact.

Think about it.

29 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

The point of my post wasn't to call you out for "caring for a public figure you have an affinity for" or to call you out in any way, for that matter.

My point was there are over 8 thousand lives lost every single day in this country, that get no attention whatsoever.

Just because these common, every-day folks weren't famous, or well known - doesn't mean that their deaths are any less tragic, or insignificant.

I'm not asking you, or anybody else to agree with me, just stating a fact.

Think about it.

Yes100%
but these are celebrities that we can talk about. Nobody knows bob jones the ironwoker from biloxi ms. But yes bobs life is as important as these celebrities 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Yes100%
but these are celebrities that we can talk about. Nobody knows bob jones the ironwoker from biloxi ms. But yes bobs life is as important as these celebrities 

Totally agree.

That said, my thoughts & prayers go out to the all of the unknown, common folks who have passed on, without any recognition, or publicity.

Thank you for whatever contributions you've made to our society and for taking care of your family & loved ones over the years.

You are not forgotten.

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Realizing the bolded part has really hit me hard the last few years. I've been having a tough time coming to grips with the fact that I'm not young anymore. 

Since turning 40, I'm on two types of blood pressure medications, and developed carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands and plantar fasciitis in my right foot.

Getting old sucks.

It does, indeed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Think about it.

We're all aware that on a planet with 8 billion people, many will die every day as a matter of course.  And that for the vast bulk of us, our passing will be noted by family, friends, or no one, compared to famous people.  Not really sure what you think there is to "think about" here honestly.

• Upvote 1

I'm not looking for anyone's approval here, just stating a cold, hard fact.

Think about it.

Yeah, okay.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

We're all aware that on a planet with 8 billion people, many will die every day as a matter of course.  And that for the vast bulk of us, our passing will be noted by family, friends, or no one, compared to famous people.  Not really sure what you think there is to "think about" here honestly.

Facts bruh.

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You are not forgotten.

On the contrary, the vast bulk of us are forgotten within a generation or two, if not sooner. 

Even the famous are forgotten after a hundred years or two. 

Only a tiny infinitesimal number are remembered beyond that.  These are the history book folks.

22 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Just awful. I've lost my brother and my father to cancer. Just a terrible Jets fans are the best.

Prevention is the best defense. After that it's early detection. Go for your physical once a year. Men, don't fear the finger up the can...they don't do that anymore. A blood test is far more reliable.

Go for a colonoscopy. The prep is the worst but the procedure is a cake walk. I've even had to endure a cystoscopy which is pretty rough but I'd rather live to see my kids have grandkids. Treat your life like it means something.

MY Dad died of Colon Cancer that spread to his lung and eventually brain... awful. He fought it for 8 damn years and was always optimistic, it never let it get him down. He was pretty good until about 4 months before he passed, and it went fast. He died one year almost to the day after my Father-in-Law passed from Cancer. Both were 79. 

I'm on the 3-year plan, just got the 2-for-1 Colonoscopy/Endoscopy last month at the VA. So far, so good. Yeah, prep sucked, and getting no sleep for a night is a pain, but that's the only discomfort at all. Unlike many places, I am VERY LUCKY to have an AMAZING VA system here in Central Florida. The Orlando Main VA facility is a brand new, state of the art place that is like walking into the most high-end Med facility you could imagine, and the Viera Clinic is great, on par with anywhere I've ever seen. I guess living in an area with a LOT of retired High-Ranking officers is helpful.

But yeah, get yourself checked out. Hell, AFLAC sends you a check for preventive diagnostic stuff if you have it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Getting old sucks.

I would kill to wake up and be 40 again tomorrow. Not dismissive, but giving context. I am now 53 and paying the price for the paths I chose, Soldier, Firefighter, Powerlifter. EVERYTHING hurts.

Its great!!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's really too bad fish.

Maybe one day.

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I would kill to wake up and be 40 again tomorrow. Not dismissive, but giving context. I am now 53 and paying the price for the paths I chose, Soldier, Firefighter, Powerlifter. EVERYTHING hurts.

Its great!!

I can count on one hand how many times I saw a doctor through my 20s and 30s. Like you, I feel as if I am now paying the price for that. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I can count on one hand how many times I saw a doctor through my 20s and 30s. Like you, I feel as if I am now paying the price for that. 

Find a good doctor you like and have a real rapport with. I had one for 10 years until he retired (Dr. Ahmed was AWESOME! Great guy) and then lucked into a new GREAT Doc at the VA. It helps a lot.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Its great!!

You guys are making me feel fairly fortunate.

At 55, I took a very similar path to yours if you substitute Corrections Deputy/Deputy Sheriff for Firefighter & Sailor for Soldier.

I still get around well with minimal aches & pains.

The only time I really feel my age is working outside in the heat for prolonged periods of time, I have to make an assertive effort to stay hydrated, and take an occasional break here & there - where 10 years ago, I didn't have to do that.

I also avoid the Dr like the plague.

I did have my 1st (and hopefully last) kidney stone about a year ago - I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

• Upvote 1

That's really too bad fish.

Maybe one day.

I was hoping you might explain in more detail.  Not trolling you, old friend.  

Be assured, I'm well aware of my own impending mortality at this stage.  And how quickly my life will be forgotten.