Seems like it's been a LONG time, since Joe Douglas has spoken to the NY media.

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’m not here to do your homework for you. If you’re interested, it’s out there. Most GM’s for example were sitting next to the HC on the first day of training camp answering questions. The Jets do not do this. 

It’s not my homework

you are the one making an unsubstantiated claim and supporting it with anecdotal breadcrumbs 

I was just wondering if you had any readily available data to support your claim. It’s not that big of a deal 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

It’s not my homework

you are the one making an unsubstantiated claim and supporting it with anecdotal breadcrumbs 

What was unsubstantiated? Douglas does less public appearances than other GM’s. Why is this controversial?

37 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

They do. The Jets don’t put Douglas out there. Similar to Saleh not going to the combine. It’s interesting but it’s how they do things. 

Yeah, I guess it never really registers with me that other GM's are doing it because they rarely say anything of substance that resonates.

I've been guilty in the past of "looking forward" to a coach or GM speaking to the media and half way through their first scripted answer I think "Oh, that's why I don't like these".

Of course I tune in just in case a guy slips up or says something that may be a cryptic or half answer to a question but I'd say over 95% of the time it's a waste of everybody's time.

And I get wanting the pound of flesh to demand a GM answer for his ineptitude as was the case with Idzik and Mac.  But with Douglas I look up and down the 53 and see tons of talent that hasn't produced for reasons that are largely beyond the GM's control.  That's enough for me.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, I guess it never really registers with me that other GM's are doing it because they rarely say anything of substance that resonates.

I've been guilty in the past of "looking forward" to a coach or GM speaking to the media and half way through their first scripted answer I think "Oh, that's why I don't like these".

Of course I tune in just in case a guy slips up or says something that may be a cryptic or half answer to a question but I'd say over 95% of the time it's a waste of everybody's time.

And I get wanting the pound of flesh to demand a GM answer for his ineptitude as was the case with Idzik and Mac.  But with Douglas I look up and down the 53 and see tons of talent that hasn't produced for reasons that are largely beyond the GM's control.  That's enough for me.

Douglas did not do a mid season presser last year other than meeting with Jets employee Eric Allen. He met near the trading deadline where he just answered things about potential conversations. Nothing really about results. He spoke the combine (30 minutes late), the draft and for a few minutes at the owners meetings. He doesn’t do much.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

What was unsubstantiated? Douglas does less public appearances than other GM’s. Why is this controversial?

It’s not a matter of being “controversial” - you are making a claim regarding the frequency of a particular event (Douglas speaking with the media in some capacity) in relation to the frequency of other particular events (every other NFL GM meeting with the media in some capacity). 

it’s unsubstantiated because you haven’t provided any data to support your claim. If your claim is true, we should be able to count how many times Douglas has met with (or been interviewed by) the media over some sufficiently large period of time (perhaps a calendar year?) and compare it to how many times every other NFL GM has met with (or been interviewed by) the media and conclude that Douglas has had significantly less media exposure. 

this isn’t an attack - I’m just pointing out that we have no way of knowing whether your claim is true without actually counting. 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas did not do a mid season presser last year other than meeting with Jets employee Eric Allen. He met near the trading deadline where he just answered things about potential conversations. Nothing really about results. He spoke the combine (30 minutes late), the draft and for a few minutes at the owners meetings. He doesn’t do much.

Yeah, I know he's scarce but as I said, as I look up and down the 53 I'm very happy with the talent in place and that's kind of all I care about.

Now if the talent sucked and the team sucked I'd probably be making the same complaints.  I just try to keep it in perspective and think about what my expectations were before the season (potential super bowl) and whether or not I believe there was much Douglas could have done to prevent all of the injuries (I don't), so I didn't need to hear him say much.

That being said, I guess that from a PR standpoint, the team SHOULD have Douglas (or Woody) speak to the fans despite all of us knowing neither of them would say anything of substance.

It's a weird dance when you think about it.  Fans demand a presser and we'd all know that before, during and after there would be nothing of value brought to the table.

Mid-season. End of season. Combine. Week before draft. Then end of draft day 1, 2 & 3. 

Why people question, ask, want more than this I’ll never know.

When the GM does talk, people just bitch, complain and question whatever he says anyway. 

The HC & QB are the voice of the team.  

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

GM's meet the media a handful of times a year with the bulk of it coming in the offseason.  Odd that I've seen fans get on Douglas for it a million times as if the other 31 GM's speak weekly.

Nobody said or implied anything, about JD speaking weekly @AFJF that's quite an exaggeration on your part.

That said, not all GM's are a part of the New York media market either, there are only 3 of them that are.

In my opinion, expectations (in terms of media availability) are a little different here, as compared to say Wisconsin or Tennessee.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Mid-season. End of season. Combine. Week before draft. Then end of draft day 1, 2 & 3. 

Why people question, ask, want more than this I’ll never know.

It's really very simple and it comes down to just one word.

Accountability.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Nobody said or implied anything, about JD speaking weekly @AFJF that's quite an exaggeration on your part.

That said, not all GM's are a part of the New York media market either, there are only 3 of them that are.

In my opinion, expectations (in terms of media availability) are a little different here, as compared to say Wisconsin or Tennessee.

Here’s Lions GM Brad Holmes calling into local Detroit radio this morning to talk football:

This would never happen with the Jets.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Here’s Lions GM Brad Holmes calling into local Detroit radio this morning to talk football:

This would never happen with the Jets.

You truly are a fool or blinded by hatred  

google should be your friend.  Plenty of videos like this. 

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I mentioned this appearance earlier. Douglas has not been seen since the draft. There is no hate. He’s just not good at his job and has poor record and the Jets keep him hidden. We can point this out as fans. It’s how pro sports work. It’s not personal. I suggest stop taking it personally.

• Upvote 2

Bottom line with Douglas is that he’s been handed an unreal amount of rope and resources to put a contender together and it‘s really come down to him having to buy a short-term QB and OL in a last-ditch effort to save his job. If they don’t hit this year, Douglas probably gets fired and he’ll never, ever sniff another GM job in his life. As far as his interacting with the media as it compares with other GMs, it’s not uncommon, but it’s notable that the reason he avoids media is that his team has been trash every year he’s been in charge of it. Former long-time GM Randy Meuller has said the Jets GM job is the best one in football because the owner will let you do what you want and there’s no actual pressure to win. It’s not a coincidence that Jets upper management has been a consistent mess under Woody in a similar way it was under Hess. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bottom line with Douglas is that he’s been handed an unreal amount of rope and resources to put a contender together and it‘s really come down to him having to buy a short-term QB and OL in a last-ditch effort to save his job. If they don’t hit this year, Douglas probably gets fired and he’ll never, ever sniff another GM job in his life. As far as his interacting with the media as it compares with other GMs, it’s not uncommon, but it’s notable that the reason he avoids media is that his team has been trash every year he’s been in charge of it. Former long-time GM Randy Meuller has said the Jets GM job is the best one in football because the owner will let you do what you want and there’s no actual pressure to win. It’s not a coincidence that Jets upper management has been a consistent mess under Woody in a similar way it was under Hess. 

I just hope Rodgers stays healthy and doesn’t look completely shot so that once and for all, Robert Saleh has nowhere to hide, nobody else to blame for his record.

15 hours ago, Copernicus said:

He's put together (on paper) the best team in 15 years, maybe ever. Missed miserably with Zach. It's time to win and make the playoffs. I think he's the best GM in my lifetime and I started watching this team with Richard Todd at QB 

Tannenbaum had this team in two afc championships.

Joe hasn’t had a winning season yet.

Results matter, yes this is a good team on paper but let’s see it translates to wins and then we can have  the “best Gm” discussion. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I've heard, GM appearances directly corelate to wins.  The more we hear them, see them, the more wins your team has!  Simple! 

What if wins directly correlate to how much a GM is willing to get in front of the media? 

10 hours ago, C Mart said:

For what? On July 29th?

For everything he has & hasn't done up to this point, in what is supposed to be, a make or break year for this regime @C Mart

Obviously, you feel differently and I'm good with that.

That being said, I have no doubt there are others here, that feel the same way I do.

10 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Take might want to take a look at the date on that video @batman10023 it's over 4 months old and I'm fairly certain, that's the last time that Douglas has spoken to the media.

The video that @Matt39 posted of the Lins GM calling in, was during the Lions first padded practice of this year's training camp.

Big difference and you have the audacity to call other people blind?? 🙄

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What if wins directly correlate to how much a GM is willing to get in front of the media? 

Are you really interested in what a GM has to say? I never remember being riveted as appointment edge of your seat television with GM speak. May i interest you in a free MAX subscription? I think there is a show called "Looking" that may be your cup of tea.

8 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Take a look at the date on that video @batman10023 it's 4 months old and that's probably the last time that Douglas has spoke to the media.

The video that @Matt39 posted of the Lins GM calling in, was during the Lions first padded practice of this year's training camp.

Big difference.

Talk about being blind.

You’re right it’s just an element of accountability. It’s why the Jets are the Jets and from outsiders perspective don’t seem to operate like a functional franchise. Who’s in charge of the Jets?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Are you really interested in what a GM has to say? I never remember being riveted as appointment edge of your seat television with GM speak. May i interest you in a free MAX subscription? I think there is a show called "Looking" that may be your cup of tea.

1. I don’t care what Douglas has to say, generally. His performance is what it is, his record is what it is. 

2. The thread is about why Douglas prefers to hide under his desks until he’s contractually obligated to make a public appearance. I’m surmising that Douglas would be more available if Zach Wilson was good, if Becton worked out, if Saleh was good, etc. But they suck, so Douglas opts for parking his car in the back alley. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. I don’t care what Douglas has to say, generally. His performance is what it is, his record is what it is. 

2. The thread is about why Douglas prefers to hide under his desks until he’s contractually obligated to make a public appearance. I’m surmising that Douglas would be more available if Zach Wilson was good, if Becton worked out, if Saleh was good, etc. But they suck, so Douglas opts for parking his car in the back alley. 

Plus some fat dudes are naturally shy and shun the cruel eye of the public. So they hide and eat a lot because… 

C5479E5E-02F1-408D-BC74-C90170C789AB.gif

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. I agree. Douglas' record has been sub-optimal. This year will be his last test.

2. If you don't care what he says, why do you care to hear him? Schadenfreude?

3. What contract related to required media events had Douglas broken?

4. You are ascribing your own personality to that of Douglas--ie, Look at me when I am brilliant. Not everyone is like that 😊

• Upvote 1