The NFL announced this week that all 32 teams will be implementing facial recognition software to verify the identity of everyone in the stadium

58 minutes ago, Bugg said:

"Faster stadium entrance" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

"Sorry, the facial recognition isn't working so great. Let's try this again". Administered by the people who are...working the gate at an Jets game on a Sunday morning. My son, being a Local 3 electrician, forgot he had some specialized battery equipment in his jacket. You would have thought he was Lee Harvey Oswald carrying his Enfield. No sense of "Hey, come over here and check it ". No treated like he was carrying a gun. 

MSG, UBS, The Rock, Barclays; there's security, but they're professional. MetLife is a horror show  run by incompetents. 

It works great at airports/customs.  I fly several times a year mostly for my job, and the tech really has speeded things up at the airport and customs. I've actually never seen it have any sort of a glitch.  Same deal with any tech.  Do good guys have or bad guys ??? There will be much more good done with it vs. bad.  Other than security, mostly people want to use it to make a profit.  As long as the laws remain judicious, it's not really 1984 regardless of tech. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2024 at 4:30 PM, Warfish said:

Victimized how, specifically?

In capitalism, everything is a commodity.  Us, our labor, our data, everything that can be exploited, monetized and commodified will be.  No one said it was fair.  

You're not some kind of free-market capitalism hating communist, are you?  You want big government to regulate business management of freely given data?

It's not theft if you give it freely. 

Don't want to be scanned at a hypothetical sports event, don't go to the sports event.  Problem solved.  Don't want google to track you, use appropriate blockers, don't use google chrome, don't use the google search function, etc.

Not sure why you care that much, honestly, seems a bit paranoid, like you think they (business) is somehow out to get you, when mostly they're just out to offer to sell sh*t to you.

And again, unless it's a fascist government stomping on humans backs, literally, then no, the 1984 reference is just wrong.  Google giving you a customized ad for Jets Hats on a website is distinctly a first world problem, not tyranny waiting to happen.

agree.  i mentioned before in another post here.  as long as the law is on balance, it will never be "1984" regardless of tech.  a rational worry would be ID theft by criminals or perhaps over consumption due to extreme consumerism ??? 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

"Faster stadium entrance" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

Yes.  Experienced that faster several times at Nats Park, it's great.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

"Sorry, the facial recognition isn't working so great. Let's try this again". Administered by the people who are...working the gate at an Jets game on a Sunday morning. My son, being a Local 3 electrician, forgot he had some specialized battery equipment in his jacket. You would have thought he was Lee Harvey Oswald carrying his Enfield. No sense of "Hey, come over here and check it ". No treated like he was carrying a gun. 

I am 100% glad it was treated that way.  

Not because of him specifically, but because we live in a world where people use guns to slaughter dozens of people at random places that should be safe.  And because we live in a world where religious extremists and geopolitical enemies would happily sneak "specialized battery equipment" into a sporting event in order to blow it up.  Our collective safety > your minimal inconvenience when carrying obviously silly things to carry into a sporting event.

My advice, leave your specialized battery equipment at home, take personal responsibility for not "forgetting" when going into a sporting event, it's really not that hard to do.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes.  Experienced that faster several times at Nats Park, it's great.

I am 100% glad it was treated that way.  

Not because of him specifically, but because we live in a world where people use guns to slaughter dozens of people at random places that should be safe.  And because we live in a world where religious extremists and geopolitical enemies would happily sneak "specialized battery equipment" into a sporting event in order to blow it up.  Our collective safety > your minimal inconvenience when carrying obviously silly things to carry into a sporting event.

My advice, leave your specialized battery equipment at home, take personal responsibility for not "forgetting" when going into a sporting event, it's really not that hard to do.

Agree with this.  Again.  As long as the law is on balance, tech can't be misused by government.  As far as privacy, yeah... There are concerns there.  The genie can't be put back in the bottle.  Data harvesting has put most of the world in a glass house.  

42 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

It works great at airports/customs.  I fly several times a year mostly for my job, and the tech really has speeded things up at the airport and customs. I've actually never seen it have any sort of a glitch.  Same deal with any tech.  Do good guys have or bad guys ??? There will be much more good done with it vs. bad.  Other than security, mostly people want to use it to make a profit.  As long as the laws remain judicious, it's not really 1984 regardless of tech. 

This is incredibly naive thinking.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

dunno.  i wanna keep it football, but one more comment on this.  the nsa has been gathering/collecting/evaluating all coms for years.  has anyone gotten burned ??? i understand that we always have to worry about the next lord high dictator perhaps gaining influence during a massive crisis of one kind or the other.  In that case, the info/tech can be used for dark purposes.  Considering that, the tech is not the worry.  it is what happens to the law. 

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

dunno.  i wanna keep it football, but one more comment on this.  the nsa has been gathering/collecting/evaluating all coms for years.  has anyone gotten burned ??? i understand that we always have to worry about the next lord high dictator perhaps gaining influence during a massive crisis of one kind or the other.  In that case, the info/tech can be used for dark purposes.  Considering that, the tech is not the worry.  it is what happens to the law. 

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Do you ever post anything these days that isn't an empty one-liner?  

Here is an idea, if you're this worked up about all this, tell us why we should also be worked up about it.

"ooooohhhh, panic, scary stuff" as the entire content of your post is just lame.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

He and Stephanie Seneff were part of the team that took down Monsanto and Round-up (glyphosate) for billions.  

Stephanie Seneff: 'Toxic Legacy' - How Glyphosate Destroys Your Health - Ethical Today

This is what happens when people don't have preservatives in them: they decompose like this.

If she wants to shop at Whole Foods or eat farm-to-table, then she should at least do something to counter that by making appointments for weekly sorbic acid injections.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Do you ever post anything these days that isn't an empty one-liner?  

Here is an idea, if you're this worked up about all this, tell us why we should also be worked up about it.

"ooooohhhh, panic, scary stuff" as the entire content of your post is just lame.

im not too worried, but i see how concern can be well founded.  as the old saying goes.  information is power.  if shady or destructive people/organizations/governments get a hold of information, they will have power.  look at the mess bb and the pats made with a camera that was eyeing things they were not entitled to,  and that was just a dude with a camera,  not a government or corporate intel gathering net. 

adding here.  and, individuals/governments/groups with power have the resources to turn the cameras and data gathering off when they want to.  do you believe epstein hung himself ? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

im not too worried, but i see how concern can be well founded.  as the old saying goes.  information is power.  if shady or destructive people/organizations/governments get a hold of information, they will have power.  look at the mess bb and the pats made with a camera that was eyeing things they were not entitled to,  and that was just a dude with a camera,  not a government or corporate intel gathering net. 

adding here.  and, individuals/governments/groups with power have the resources to turn the cameras and data gathering off when they want to.  do you believe epstein hung himself ? 

and another addition here to bring it closer to home.  look at the chucky emails that were uncovered, cherry picked and released. and chucky was not a subject of that "investigation".   digital info that was questionably harvested and handled was used to advance a personal/corporate agenda. 

This is ridiculous and disturbing. Last time I checked I never had to identify myself to purchase a ticket to an event. A lot of you lemmons think its "ok" because you have "nothing to hide" are silly and foolish. Imma buy me one of them masks from that creepy hacker group

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

This is what happens when people don't have preservatives in them: they decompose like this.
If she wants to shop at Whole Foods or eat farm-to-table, then she should at least do something to counter that by making appointments for weekly sorbic acid injections.

Andy Rooney; not dead?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It is a herbicide that has been banned by many countries.  Remember 2014, EPA and Michigan.  90 years in the making...

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bronx said:

It is a herbicide that has been banned by many countries.  Remember 2014, EPA and Michigan.  90 years in the making...

Promise me you’ll talk my ear off for 3 straight hours at the next JN tailgate — that sounds like great fun! ;) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Promise me you’ll talk my ear off for 3 straight hours at the next JN tailgate — that sounds like great fun! ;) 

I would love to participate and meet you guys...on my bucket list.

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2024 at 12:42 PM, Warfish said:

So your fear here is that the U.S. version of the East German Stasi exists, and will be coming for you, because of facial recognition of employees at NFL stadiums and for fans who use it for faster stadium entrance in some places?

And you fear that in 2023 you will "own nothing" as compared to today.

Interesting.  And enlightening in a way too.

Just curious, but do you have a subscription to "Prepper" magazine, and a 2 year supply of "My Patriot Supply" food as yet, or no?

I remember the good old days when I could pack a 12 ounce Crest in my carry on bag.  

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2024 at 12:01 PM, rex-n-effect said:

This will become another income stream for teams. If you're put off by this, wait until you find out that the major social media platforms have profiles for you regardless of your decision to sign up for an account with them. 

Precisely. They are on slippery ground if they sell your image, likeness and location data to third parties without your consent. 

On 8/9/2024 at 2:04 PM, HighPitch said:

This is ridiculous and disturbing. Last time I checked I never had to identify myself to purchase a ticket to an event. A lot of you lemmons think its "ok" because you have "nothing to hide" are silly and foolish

OK.  Why? 

Verbalize what your fear is here for us.  Maybe we'll understand better if you tell us what, specifically, you are afraid of or afraid will happen.

Because so far we mostly have folks telling us to be afraid, that we're fools not to be afraid, but not telling us what we're supposed to be afraid of, exactly.

I'm guessing there is a good reason for that.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

OK.  Why? 

Verbalize what your fear is here for us.  Maybe we'll understand better if you tell us what, specifically, you are afraid of or afraid will happen.

Because so far we mostly have folks telling us to be afraid, that we're fools not to be afraid, but not telling us what we're supposed to be afraid of, exactly.

I'm guessing there is a good reason for that.  

Youre a smart guy. I'm sure you know all my concerns but you just want to argue on this board so that you can score a living room hard on by thinking youve won a debate with an internet stranger.

There is no way this can be discussed without violating the "no politics" rule of this site but enjoy your privacy for the little time you have it and if a knock comes to your door at 3 am dont tell me I didnt warn you

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Youre a smart guy. I'm sure you know all my concerns but you just want to argue on this board so that you can score a living room hard on by thinking youve won a debate with an internet stranger.

There is no way this can be discussed without violating the "no politics" rule of this site but enjoy your privacy for the little time you have it and if a knock comes to your door at 3 am dont tell me I didnt warn you

1. Living room hard-on?  Grow up. 

2. We're talking policy, policy can 100% be discussed without politics.  

For example:  Person A fears that a future government will use the facial recognition software to round up people of one particular belief (religious, political, ideological, sociological, pick one, could be any) for discrimination.

There, a well stated, clear articulation of one common fear without any reference to "**** the Dems" or "I hate those Cons".  It's perfectly possible to do if you have a shred of self-control and intelligence.  POLICY, not politics.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

1. Living room hard-on?  Grow up. 

2. We're talking policy, policy can 100% be discussed without politics.  

For example:  Person A fears that a future government will use the facial recognition software to round up people of one particular belief (religious, political, ideological, sociological, pick one, could be any) for discrimination.

There, a well stated, clear articulation of one common fear without any reference to "**** the Dems" or "I hate those Cons".  It's perfectly possible to do if you have a shred of self-control and intelligence.  POLICY, not politics.

well said. 

But you start talking policy and the next guy might not like it, or take it a certain way and then it becomes political and then the fights start and the thread gets closed.

Remember, not everyone has your level of self control.

Your one example reason is valid. It may as well be my answer. I will add, or dare add, that we live in very unusual times that are not stable. BOTH political parties seem to out of control and many do not trust the media anymore. Facial recognition can indeed be a tool to round up anyone that an out of control govt deems a threat. This is the same reason why I fully support 2nd amendment rights. Furthermore the whole "if you have nothing to hide why be worried" mindset is what created the patriot act which i am/was also against

see what you did>?>?>?

heres another one for you:

A citizen has no obligation to identify themselves to a police officer unless the officer has a reasonable suspicion that they committed a crime. Cops violate and abuse this constantly. It is a basic right in our constitution.

Now, you walk to get a bagel and the govt has identified you. That concerns me. maybe not you, but I dont appreciate this slippery slope

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

well said. 

But you start talking policy and the next guy might not like it, or take it a certain way and then it becomes political and then the fights start and the thread gets closed.

We cannot control the next guy.  Only ourselves.  

Remember, not everyone has your level of self control.

I don't have any more self-control than anyone else, I too fall prey to it here at times.  

Your one example reason is valid. It may as well be my answer.

Thank you.

I will add, or dare add, that we live in very unusual times that are not stable.

We do.  And even if we live in stable times, there is always a potential for unstable times to come.

Facial recognition can indeed be a tool to round up anyone that an out of control govt deems a threat.

We would have to hope the hundreds of other control mechanics in the U.S. system of governance (not the parties, the actual systems of checks, balances and controls/limits) would serve to stop that.

Lets be honest, if we reach a point of some theoretical future U.S. Government rounding up citizens en masse for their thoughts, we have many more problems that the technology in part used to do the rounding up.  

This is the same reason why I fully support 2nd amendment rights.

I'll disagree with you on this one.  The "Red Dawn/1776 Revisited" fantasy is just that, fantasy.  

More, the point is to not GET to that point, not to root it on and arm up in excitement for it.  

It may also help if folks stop exaggerating what "Tyranny" is or isn't.  A Civil War over the regulation of dishwasher energy use is just dumb.

Furthermore the whole "if you have nothing to hide why be worried" mindset is what created the patriot act which i am/was also against

see what you did>?>?>?

The only people who have used that phrase are the people against the idea, limited and private-sector-based though it is in this thread/discussion.  People like myself would be more likely to say "governmental use allowed with proper controls and due process rights observed, maybe".

But remember, we're not talking about the State.  We're talking about private use by private entities on private property.  An objecting individual can opt out, i.e. do not take a job working for the NFL/Team.  if they roll it out to all fans (not proposed here at all as yet) you can still opt out by not attending games.  The same way folks can opt out by not sharing their personal data, private lives, etc. on Facebook, X or similar.  Sure, publicly available data is still public and will be shared, but that is unavoidable, it's inherently public info (i.e. that you exist, have a name, etc.).

Be assured, there is a meaningful personal responsibility aspect of public data sharing many are willingly choosing to ignore as they spam all their personal info on the web to any and all viewers, lol.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

But remember, we're not talking about the State.  We're talking about private use by private entities on private property.  An objecting individual can opt out, i.e. do not take a job working for the NFL/Team.  if they roll it out to all fans (not proposed here at all as yet) you can still opt out by not attending games.  The same way folks can opt out by not sharing their personal data, private lives, etc. on Facebook, X or similar.  

You have just been reported to max for violating the politics rule.

No seriously I get the difference about the jets being a private company on private property that a customer can reject. Unlike it being a state thing. But that is coming next. I came off a plane and passed through customers at JFK last year and the agent smiled and said "welcome back mr XXXX" without even opening my passport. In fact I was still 2 or 3 steps away from the desk when he said it. 

Ok we disagree on the 2nd. big whoops

All I know is that these are really weird times and I grow more suspicious of both parties each day and I dont like what is to me a big overreach on my privacy