Aaron Rodgers Preseason Play?

Aaron Rodgers Preseason  

80 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD Aaron Rodgers Play in PS Game 3?

• No, full bubble wrap mode.
    • Yes, but only a drive or 2.
    • Yes, play him into the 3rd quarter as per traditional 3rd PS game.
  2. 2. WILL Aaron Rodgers Play in PS Game 3?

• No, full bubble wrap mode.
    • Yes, but only a drive or 2.
    • Yes, into the 3rd quarter as per traditional 3rd PS game.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/23/2024 at 09:41 PM

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think there is a level of risk involved in facing a tough Niners defense and defensive front without having taken live snaps against guys who can hit you in a year. It's probably not a huge deal but there will be some jitters and possibly hesitation involved until he settles in a bit. Probably true even if he does play some in preseason but more so if he doesn't IMO.

I'd like to see him take a couple of hits and throw a few live balls with real linemen bearing down in preseason and get that monkey off his back.

He’s getting this work in joint practices without the risk of getting hit. Win-win. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think there is a level of risk involved in facing a tough Niners defense and defensive front without having taken live snaps against guys who can hit you in a year. It's probably not a huge deal but there will be some jitters and possibly hesitation involved until he settles in a bit. Probably true even if he does play some in preseason but more so if he doesn't IMO.

If I'm SF I stack the box to start the game and force Rodgers to show he still has it.

If I'm the Jets I call up a deep shot to open the game.

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Well, there is some partial redemption here for self-awareness, at least.

Warfish is one of the most enjoyable, respectful, and challenging debate opponents on here. Embrace the fun of it. :) 

Yeah, ok 👌 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s getting this work in joint practices without the risk of getting hit. Win-win. 

my point is it's different if you know you aren't getting hit. and who knows how he reacts to the first live bullets. hopefully not hesitate enough for someone to hit him in an awkward way ...

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

my point is it's different if you know you aren't getting hit. and who knows how he reacts to the first live bullets. hopefully not hesitate enough for someone to hit him in an awkward way ...

I get your point but I can't see anyway that Saleh and his boss JD are putting Rodgers out there given the current state of their contracts.

But hey, this is the Jets so maybe they'll play him 3 quarters this weekend and call up multiple QB draws.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I do think there's something to getting live work - where you could actually get hit instead of knowing nobody will touch you. But I really don't care either way.

This is a 20 year veteran of the NFL. He knows what football is like. He’ll recognize the difference when someone is coming at him, I suspect. The infinitesimal potential advantage of him playing doesn’t come close to outweighing the potential disaster of having him hurt in a preseason contest. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

This is a 20 year veteran of the NFL. He knows what football is like. He’ll recognize the difference when someone is coming at him, I suspect. The infinitesimal potential advantage of him playing doesn’t come close to outweighing the potential disaster of having him hurt in a preseason contest. 

him getting injured at any point would be a disaster, preseason or not. there's no increased risk in playing a preseason game vs. regular season.

him getting injured at any point would be a disaster, preseason or not. there's no increased risk in playing a preseason game vs. regular season.

Every additional snap is additional risk. There’s no reason for any risk at all in a game that doesn’t count. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If Rodgers goes down in pre-season, JD and Saleh will be national punchlines for decades. We still joke about Rex's decision to put Mark ******* Sanchez back into the Snoopy Bowl.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, slats said:

So in that case, we can and should expect his personal quality of play week 1 to be in mid-season form then?  

Excellent.  I look forward to seeing it.

That's all I want.  Rodgers to be 100% ready to play at an elite level on snap #1 week #1.  To know his WR's, their tendencies, and where they'll be if sh*t hits the fan on a play.  To know his OL, and stay out from under their feet.

To be ready to scramble, and not tear an Achilles, ACL or anything else vital.

Which shouldn't be too much to ask, tbqh.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So in that case, we can and should expect his personal quality of play week 1 to be in mid-season form then?  

Excellent.  I look forward to seeing it.

That's all I want.  Rodgers to be 100% ready to play at an elite level on snap #1 week #1.  To know his WR's, their tendencies, and where they'll be if sh*t hits the fan on a play.  To know his OL, and stay out from under their feet.

To be ready to scramble, and not tear an Achilles, ACL or anything else vital.

Which shouldn't be too much to ask, tbqh.

Dude, are you right now really trying to tell me that playing a series or two in the preseason is the difference between being in mid-season form or not? I kinda thought players got in mid-season form by playing a good portion of the season. I think after a series or two in the preseason, he might be in second or third series of the season form. I don’t see the advantage of that outweighing the risk. Sorry. 

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, slats said:

Dude, are you right now really trying to tell me that playing a series or two in the preseason is the difference between being in mid-season form or not? I kinda thought players got in mid-season form by playing a good portion of the season. I think after a series or two in the preseason, he might be in second or third series of the season form. I don’t see the advantage of that outweighing the risk. Sorry. 

im watching the Giants - Texans game and both Jones and Stroud have started along with i think are all their starters. Mahomes, Allen and others played a series last week and i expect most if not all of the NFL will be playing there starters tonight. if we dont match them we will be at a disadvantage in week one. 

against a team like the 49ers if it takes us 3 series to get it together, we could be down 21-0.

20 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t see the advantage of that outweighing the risk. Sorry. 

with only 17 games we cant afford to start out slow and go 0-1. if we go 0-2 the season is over. only 10% of teams that start 0-2 have made the playoffs since 1990. 

if Rodgers goes down the season is over, but the season will be over too with a healthy Rodgers if we go 0-2.

21 hours ago, slats said:

He didn’t last year. 

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

im watching the Giants - Texans game and both Jones and Stroud have started along with i think are all their starters. Mahomes, Allen and others played a series last week and i expect most if not all of the NFL will be playing there starters tonight. if we dont match them we will be at a disadvantage in week one. 

against a team like the 49ers if it takes us 3 series to get it together, we could be down 21-0.

with only 17 games we cant afford to start out slow and go 0-1. if we go 0-2 the season is over. only 10% of teams that start 0-2 have made the playoffs since 1990. 

if Rodgers goes down the season is over, but the season will be over too with a healthy Rodgers if we go 0-2.

The Jets staff walks around like they’ve won. The way they handle the preseason is completely ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Matt39 said:

He didn’t last year. 

Seems like a bad idea to wait until the regular season to find out if this new slapped-together OL full of castoffs from better teams is capable of keeping the 41 year old QB with the Achilles injury upright. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, jgb said:

If Rodgers goes down in pre-season, JD and Saleh will be national punchlines for decades. We still joke about Rex's decision to put Mark ******* Sanchez back into the Snoopy Bowl.

Yea but a key factor there was that he played Sanchez in the second half behind the second and third string OL. 

this would be a cameo series or two with the starters 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yea but a key factor there was that he played Sanchez in the second half behind the second and third string OL. 

this would be a cameo series or two with the starters 

That’s why they are called “analogies” and not “exacts.” The result would actually be worse for Saleh and JD were Rodgers to get hurt than it was for Rex because I mean come on… Mark Sanchez.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Seems like a bad idea to wait until the regular season to find out if this new slapped-together OL full of castoffs from better teams is capable of keeping the 41 year old QB with the Achilles injury upright. 

i was just going to say this. even if they dont play Rodgers the OL needs to play tonight and next week.

every year our OL starts off bad. cant afford that with the 49ers gunning to light Rodgers up in week 1.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think Rodgers makes it through week 1. Especially if he’s coming in cold. He should be playing today and next week. It’s completely unserious to have the starters all in street clothes. 13 years without the playoffs while Andy Reid is making guys play. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think Rodgers makes it through week 1. Especially if he’s coming in cold. He should be playing today and next week. It’s completely unserious to have the starters all in street clothes. 13 years without the playoffs while Andy Reid is making guys play. 

Andy Reid has contractual security. Saleh and JD do not.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Same team last year who waited until Rodgers blew his leg out to decide that attempting cut blocks was a thing they should scrap. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

That’s why they are called “analogies” and not “exacts.” The result would actually be worse for Saleh and JD were Rodgers to get hurt than it was for Rex because I mean come on… Mark Sanchez.

The result may be the same, but the criticism would be far less justified 

The notion that the jets would be doing anything wrong by playing their starting QB a series or two in the third preseason game is preposterous.

If that’s how people feel, then the preseason should be abolished (which, to be fair, I believe will happen in the next 10 years, anyway) 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Andy Reid has contractual security. Saleh and JD do not.

You are providing a good reason why Saleh (and Douglas) might be afraid to play Rodgers in the preseason. While I agree with you (although I’d add that Woody is likely involved in the decision, anyway), it doesn’t change the fact that the whole propose of preseason is to prepare for the regular season. 

it seems like a vital part of preparing for the regular season is getting the guys on your team who will actually play in the regular season some game experience before the bullets start flying. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

You are providing a good reason why Saleh (and Douglas) might be afraid to play Rodgers in the preseason. While I agree with you (although I’d add that Woody is likely involved in the decision, anyway), it doesn’t change the fact that the whole propose of preseason is to prepare for the regular season. 

it seems like a vital part of preparing for the regular season is getting the guys on your team who will actually play in the regular season some game experience before the bullets start flying. 

Yes I’m not taking the position that Rodgers shouldn’t play, just saying there is a really good reason (self preservation) at play here for the men who have to make the decision.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Same team last year who waited until Rodgers blew his leg out to decide that attempting cut blocks was a thing they should scrap. 

I mean it’s like everyone is forgetting Rodgers looked completely out of sync and disjointed during those 4 snaps he had last year. 

• Upvote 1