Trade Reddick Tonight

8 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I raised this point several times recently without a lot of traction.  The reason it still niggles at me is that it would provide a logical rationale for what otherwise seems to be utterly illogical behavior on the part of Reddick.

That it would. Reddick definitely taking the road less travelled here…

12 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I raised this point several times recently without a lot of traction.  The reason it still niggles at me is that it would provide a logical rationale for what otherwise seems to be utterly illogical behavior on the part of Reddick.

Been suggesting/suspecting this a while myself. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Frankie Green said:

Been suggesting/suspecting this a while myself. 

Yep. Could also be that he’s super prideful and believes Jets misrepresented things to him and is willing to flush away millions on principle. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Joe Douglas gets paid Millions of Dollars a year - in part to not make mistakes like this.

Do you know of any other job where a guy getting paid millions of dollars - agreed to a $14mm deal, gave away substantive assets - but didn't get a contract?

How long do you think that guy would have a job?

Now, I'm not saying to fire JD - but he surely has a lot of responsibility here.

I’d be fired if gave up assets to bring in someone on a verbal promise, that’s for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

When that offer was refused, JD should have walked away from this trade - which is a mistake he made, that will continue to haunt us.

Yeah, I don’t understand making the trade after he turned down the offer.

DE is now one of the positions where an injury could really hurt us 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, EM31 said:

We don't know what JD or Reddick promised.   But what we do know is Reddick turned down 3 years $22mm from the Eagles, which is seemingly why they traded him.

Now, Reddick's behavior might be illogical but knowing that, what could have possibly been going through JD's mind when he made that trade if he was unwilling to at least match that offer?

Yes, Reddick is being illogical but the same can be said for Joe.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

I maintain my original position. Trade that problem now. Reddick clearly does not have the intelligence to figure what is really best for him and the Jets continue to be dumb about it. Nothing good can ever come out of something so poorly handled. Move on. Live with it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We don't know what JD or Reddick promised.   But what we do know is Reddick turned down 3 years $22mm from the Eagles, which is seemingly why they traded him.

Now, Reddick's behavior might be illogical but knowing that, what could have possibly been going through JD's mind when he made that trade if he was unwilling to at least match that offer?

Yeah that’s sums it up, JD already knew the dude wasn’t acting logically and said “gimme some of that.” I’d have preferred he met with them and said “I know you have a problem with your current deal, what are you looking for?” Then either work an extension or don’t trade.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe he simply took the risk and is still taking the risk that Reddick will not sit out the entire year. 

Occam's razor

• Upvote 1

Joe Douglas gets paid Millions of Dollars a year - in part to not make mistakes like this.
Do you know of any other job where a guy getting paid millions of dollars - agreed to a $14mm deal, gave away substantive assets - but didn't get a contract?
Now, I'm not saying to fire JD - but he surely has a lot of responsibility here.

14mm deal in the NFL is small potato’s. It is in my business too.

I do not consider a 3rd substantive. Let alone a future pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Maybe he simply took the risk and is still taking the risk that Reddick will not sit out the entire year. 

Occam's razor

That does seem to be the case..

But I would assume the distraction plus being able to use the $14mm in another way in a win now season would have made far more sense.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

14mm deal in the NFL is small potato’s. It is in my business too.

Why not just give him another $14mm then? Get him on the field.

3 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I do not consider a 3rd substantive.

You might not but to an NFL GM they are incredibly valuable.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That does seem to be the case..

But I would assume the distraction plus being able to use the $14mm in another way in a win now season would have made far more sense.

The story is very far from complete

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The story is very far from complete

For sure.  The Jets can go on a tear early and we get a fresh Reddick for the last 6 games for our Super Bowl run.

Or, the pass rush can be lacking and the Jets D isn't what it was and we lose games early that will eventually keep us out of the playoffs.

Or anywhere in the middle.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

All we know is jets traded for a guy in a contract dispute that has continued. Maybe JD’s plan was to basically hardball this all the way, if so, then I guess it’s going as expected. I still think a better plan would’ve been to try to hash out a 1 year bandaid extension and if Reddick refused to even discuss anything but a long term deal, don’t make the trade.

Who knows... Maybe we wont see Reddick after game 1.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/jets-haason-reddick-trade-proposal-49ers-nfl

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

For sure.  The Jets can go on a tear early and we get a fresh Reddick for the last 6 games for our Super Bowl run.

Or, the pass rush can be lacking and the Jets D isn't what it was and we lose games early that will eventually keep us out of the playoffs.

Or anywhere in the middle.  

Obviously if the latter happens I do not think that JD survives and there will be ample time for "I told you so" sentiments whether explicitly stated or just implied.

The other part of this story, connected to but also somewhat unrelated to JD is the question about how this negotiation strategy works out for Reddick in terms of the future deals that he might sign.

Personally I think that this Jets team gets to the playoffs with or without Reddick but we do not get past either of the two teams that played last night.  Obviously if we get to the point of a post season match up against either I am sure I will manage to convince myself at that time that we have a puncher's chance.

Reddick came up dry last year in the playoffs for the Eagles.  Is that loss on him alone or were there other factors at play?  My point is that it will be easy to assert that one or more players underperforming or missing in action was the pivotal factor in some loss or other.  Easy to assert but practically impossible to either prove or disprove.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, funaz said:

Two threads and thousands of posts for a marginal player on a side of the ball that has proven to perform consistently goodemoji23.png

Who cares if he holds out until the final six games. That’s probably when we would need him the most anyway

LOL... nothing much else to talk about in an otherwise almost perfect training camp and preseason

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

what was his mistake? he traded for a guy who then went back on what he agreed to. I mean know it sucks but every situation like this starts with the team getting assurances form the player that they are good with the contract. This guy just inexplicably decided he wanted to lose alot of money following bad advice or his own delusions. Either way hard to fault the jets in this. He agreed to what the Jets told him they were doing.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

what was his mistake? he traded for a guy who then went back on what he agreed to. I mean know it sucks but every situation like this starts with the team getting assurances form the player that they are good with the contract. This guy just inexplicably decided he wanted to lose alot of money following bad advice or his own delusions. Either way hard to fault the jets in this. He agreed to what the Jets told him they were doing.

He had turned down 3 years $22mm per from the Eagles, which is why they traded him.  Under those circumstances trading for him with any ambiguity seems like a major error in judgement.

It's okay that Joe made a mistake - but we should recognize it for what it is -  this on him too.   But to be honest I really don't care who to blame.  At this point I just want him on the field and Joe should do what it takes to get him here.  This, I won't even talk to him until he's here isn't the right way.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It has been reported that the Jets told him that they wanted to extend him over the course of the season and him to play on his contract and be here in NY from day one. That they assured him they woudl get the contact done like they did with JFM as the comp. He just needed to show up. So its not that we dont know what happened we know that he agreed to this and they put the trade through, then he didnt show up demanding a contact now. 

That is the disconnect and Joe said we are going to remain true to our agreement. The part we do not know is what exactly he said to red and his representation. I imagine it went something like...you knwo you guys are just going to lose money and we have no issue with you holding out and not showing up. We wanted  you cause you are a great player and we wanted you to be a great Jet. You need to show up buddy.

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

I don’t understand why they just guarantee his money from injury. Must be more to this than we know.

I smoke because in this league three 2nd round picks will get you a shot at a marginal, at best, starting QB.

Simply guaranteeing his salary won't be enough to get him to report.

I believe he is looking for a significant bump up in salary, as well as additional guaranteed money. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He had turned down 3 years $22mm per from the Eagles, which is why they traded him.  Under those circumstances trading for him with any ambiguity seems like a major error in judgement.

It's okay that Joe made a mistake - but we should recognize it for what it is -  this on him too.   But to be honest I really don't care who to blame.  At this point I just want him on the field and Joe should do what it takes to get him here.  This, I won't even talk to him until he's here isn't the right way.

What was joes mistake?

Reddick supposedly turned down a eagles deal? That's not joes fault. 

Reddick didn't show up after giving the keys the go ahead to trade for him under the presumption that he play the year out under his contract and get extended during the season. That's not joes fault 

I really don't see your point but I am with you I want him to play he is a great talent.

But I also don't want any player especially one that hasn't played a snap be bigger than the team like reddick wants to be.

Show up already, that's all joes saying and supposedly that is happening. Glad Joe won't start him. We should go into week one with the team we got

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

There was and is a contract in place. If only you applied such a critical eye towards our former QB... lol

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

There was and is a contract in place. If only you applied such a critical eye towards our former QB... lol

NFL contracts aren’t functionally binding after the guaranteed money is gone. Fans try to make it into some kind of moral quandary but players, agents and GMs know the score.