Reddick posts workout video

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It might not seem difficult but JD doesn't have to be such a hard on about it.  Open negotiations and have discussions.  My understanding is Joe is refusing to even open a dialog unless he's in house.  That, to me, is unnecessary and unreasonable.

"Difficult"? All Reddick had to do was show up for a bit, show he was a valuable asset and handle himself like a Pro, and as he said in his "Press Conference", let the agents and Joe handle the contract stuff. What has Joe done to make things "difficult"? Expect a guy getting paid $15M to show up for work?  

CEEDEE and Aiyuk showed up and "held in" while having legitimate Contract Negotiations. CD Lamb has since gotten a deal, and Aiyuk has been subject to several trade scenarios all while being in camp. Reddick and Trent Williams are the only real "Holdouts" left. Trent Williams is into the 3rd year of a 6 year $138M deal. Neither of those holdouts are being caused, exacerbated, or being made "difficult" by the teams....

You just want to be fake mad at JD. Good for you.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Not in "Months"  So at best they haven't spoken since June.   To me, that's not Joe Douglas doing his job. 

That may very well be the case.   But that may also translate into the guy not playing.

And as much as y'all want it to be the case - JD and Jet fans don't win in that scenario.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Joe Douglas's job is to win football games.  I get the sense some of you think it's a win for him to not have one of the best pass rushers in the NFL on the field.  Not having Reddick on the field week 1 is a major F-up for Douglas.     

It's Joe Douglas's job to field a full team, especially with a win now roster, and having a truly impact Edge rusher is a key component to this team.  Winning pissing matches isn't the job - winning games is.

His job is to win football games AND manage the cap and business aspects. The Jets don't have that much space and will have issues when AR retires. Hall, Wilson, and Sauce are all going to be looking for big paydays soon. Holding firm on Reddick's demands does not mean he doesn't want to win. I doubt any team is going to pay a 30yo edge rusher that type of contract. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

In your view, JD's job is to get Reddick in no matter the cost. So I can see why you feel that way. However, Woody might have put a max value on what JD can offer and so far Reddick has been unwilling to work for that. We just don't know. Maybe Woody is willing to wait until 10 are games left to bring him in, no matter that Douglas truly wants. 

While I'm not saying at all costs but I sense I would be willing to pay more than most - but I do feel strongly that not even being willing to open a dialogue is absurd - not talking for two months, that's crazy.  

Now, the Woody discussion is again just a function of pointing fingers.  Woody, JD, Saleh, Reddick, his agent.  I don't care who's at fault - get the guy on the football field.  

When was the last time you honestly felt this team had a shot (even as slight as it is) to win a SB????  It's not often and it's been a VERY long time.

Why are we ******* around with this?  Playing some ego non-sense like I won't even talk to you if you're not in camp BS.  Figure it the **** out!

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

His job is to win football games AND manage the cap and business aspects. The Jets don't have that much space and will have issues when AR retires. Hall, Wilson, and Sauce are all going to be looking for big paydays soon. Holding firm on Reddick's demands does not mean he doesn't want to win. I doubt any team is going to pay a 30yo edge rusher that type of contract. 

This is a team that has the longest playoff drought in all of Major Professional sports and you guys are all freaking out about 2 years from now.

Give me a break....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is a team that has the longest playoff drought in all of Major Professional sports and you guys are all freaking out about 2 years from now.

Give me a break....

I'm guessing they feel that they have a strong enough roster without Reddick to easily make the playoffs. They probably also don't believe Reddick will hold out beyond the cutoff for accruing a season and so he'll be available for the playoffs and potential Super Bowl run.

The added benefit being they get all these younger players experience in the mean time.

Bottom line is I don't think they see any reason to panic any time soon. That could all change depending on how things play out in the regular season.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Now, the Woody discussion is again just a function of pointing fingers.  Woody, JD, Saleh, Reddick, his agent.  I don't care who's at fault - get the guy on the football field.

You've been pointing the finger at JD for the entire discussion. I was just pointing out it may be beyond his control.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Give me a break....

But the GM has to find a balance re: the now vs. long term dichotomy.

If Douglas believed a playoff birth was contingent upon Reddick playing, he'd have a new contract. 

13 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

You can’t see Reddick’s end game here?
I’ve stayed out of these discussions about him until tonight because I thought he’d show up before the 49er game, but after reading today the two sides aren’t even talking I no longer believe that to be the case.

1. Reddick has no ties or allegiance to the Jets

2. He has one unguaranteed $14.5 mil year left on a deal he has no desire to fulfill. (and imo he would be foolish to risk doing it)

3. His going rate on the market would be around $25 mil per, and he’s turning 30 in 3 weeks. He’s looking for $75-100 mill.

4. Go back to bullet points #1 & 2. He has 9 more weeks to report and get service time for this year, which will make him a FA in ‘25. He won’t care about anything other than staying healthy this year and await bullet point #3 to become a thing.

5. What he actually earns and gets fined this year as opposed to risking #3 for unguaranteed money this year is peanuts.

Bottom line…
If the Jets want Hassan Reddick, they have to pay him. If they don’t he’s fine with that. He’s going to drop in, say hello, relax, and have a pot of gold waiting for him next year.

That may be his end game but it's likely to backfire. Reports are his contract this year would be guaranteed if he reported. That's close to 15 mil he would be pissing away. You are also overestimating how many teams next year would be lining up to pay a 25 mil multi year deal to a soon to be 31yo edge rusher. I think he is going to be disappointed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

JD can't negiotate a reasonable deal and Reddick and his agent know that.  That's why they want a trade.  The Jets leverage makes it highly likely that Reddick will play without a reasonable deal.  He will come in and play hard and if the Jets win he and JD will leave together to another team.  

JD has his resignation speech written on a wrinkled cocktail napkin ready to go. 

JD leaving after finally putting forth a winning season would be highly abnormal.

Especially true considering it's taken him this long to turn the roster around.  Why leave the roost when your eggs are hatching?  This would be viewed as irrational around the league.

Also, so he finally wins with the Jets only to take another job vacated by someone who got fired presiding over a trash team?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Give me a break....

That still doesn't mean you throw 25 mil a year at the guy for 10 sacks and forget about the money issues right around the corner. That's not the way it works. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You've been pointing the finger at JD for the entire discussion. I was just pointing out it may be beyond his control.

I actually haven't been pointing the finger at JD from the past but rather telling him to get something something done now -  fault or not.  I don't care whose fault it is.  JD is the guy in charge so he's the name being used - but I really don't care about blame any more - we're past that.

I want to give this team the best chance to win - right now.  

It may be beyond his control but not talking for over two months - sure doesn't seem like he's trying all that hard to put it in his control.  

6 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

That still doesn't mean you throw 25 mil a year at the guy for 10 sacks and forget about the money issues right around the corner. That's not the way it works. 

It also doesn't mean you shut down negotiations because he's not in camp.  It's absurd.  

I don't know what the amount is but I suspect Reddick would play for something reasonable.  I would say paying a high end Edge rusher market value isn't exactly being suckers.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It also doesn't mean you shut down negotiations because he's not in camp.  It's absurd.  

I don't know what the amount is but I suspect Reddick would play for something reasonable.  I would saying paying a high end Edge rusher market value isn't exactly being suckers.   

You would be awesome at negotiating against yourself. Truly.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

This is all on Reddick. Wasn't it reported the Jets were willing to re-do some of the guarantees or whatever for the time being until he shows up and does something? 

That's a middle ground and Reddick isn't even willing to go that far. That's on him. If he can't even meet half way then F it. 

He said he'd show up to work under his current deal and then didn't.  He lied and stands to lose many millions as a result.

He'll show up at some point, but faking an injury shouldn't be ruled out.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know what the amount is but I suspect Reddick would play for something reasonable.  I would say paying a high end Edge rusher market value isn't exactly being suckers.   

Every report I've seen said he's looking to land in the $28 mil per year range.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He said he'd show up to work under his current deal and then didn't.  He lied and stands to lose many millions as a result.

He'll show up at some point, but faking an injury shouldn't be ruled out.

If he does that he can all but flush any hope of getting a big multi-year deal next year.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It has been reported that Reddick said he was going to report to the Jets and then the Jets would then talk about the contract. He did not report. That is on him and his camp. This is a very publicized holdout so a lot of eyes are watching to see if the Jets blink. It could have ramifications on future contract negotiations with some important players. I want to win as much as anybody but I see nothing wrong with what the Jets have done so far. 

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Every report I've seen said he's looking to land in the $28 mil per year range.

I haven't seen that report nor do I know what the real Market value is for him - but if JD believed he traded for elite edge rusher in his prime (even if on the back end of his prime) forcing his way out of his current team because of his contract --- and be unwilling to make a fair market offer - then I believe that to have been shortsighted.  

• More Ugh 1

@Biggs @FidelioJet

In your opinion, what are the odds that Reddick decides to sit out the entire season and remain under Jets control in 2025? Personally I think the odds are about 1%. You can never rule out someone being foolish.

Now let's assume he isn't a complete idiot and reports at the last moment where he doesn't lose the accrued season. The Jets will be on the hook for the pro-rated portion of his current deal for 10 games of play plus (hopefully) the playoffs for a 2026 3rd round pick. I just can't get all up in arms over that. That's like trading for him before the deadline.

Even if he decides to sit out the year, we could still trade him in the off-season and recoup that 2026 pick. Or play hardball again. No way he sits out 2 years in a row.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, GQMartin said:

JD leaving after finally putting forth a winning season would be highly abnormal.

Especially true considering it's taken him this long to turn the roster around.  Why leave the roost when your eggs are hatching?  This would be viewed as irrational around the league.

Also, so he finally wins with the Jets only to take another job vacated by someone who got fired presiding over a trash team?

Sure, any owner is better than Woody.  No expectations to win.  No roster about to have multiple players who have to get new deals.  

Plus the Jets, if they win this year are likely not to see an LV for another 55 to 60 years.

10 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

@Biggs @FidelioJet

In your opinion, what are the odds that Reddick decides to sit out the entire season and remain under Jets control in 2025? Personally I think the odds are about 1%. You can never rule out someone being foolish.

Now let's assume he isn't a complete idiot and reports at the last moment where he doesn't lose the accrued season. The Jets will be on the hook for the pro-rated portion of his current deal for 10 games of play plus (hopefully) the playoffs for a 2026 3rd round pick. I just can't get all up in arms over that. That's like trading for him before the deadline.

Even if he decides to sit out the year, we could still trade him in the off-season and recoup that 2026 pick. Or play hardball again. No way he sits out 2 years in a row.

My opinion he's coming in when he has to come in and will play on the deal he has or a minor tweak.  The Jets have the leverage.  

It's also possible he is comfortable, made a ton of money has his health and wants to do something else?  That's not impossible. In fact it's the smart move.  Getting out with millions and your health is amazingly under rated as the best move.  Way more players should be doing that.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I haven't seen that report nor do I know what the real Market value is for him - but if JD believed he traded for elite edge rusher in his prime (even if on the back end of his prime) forcing his way out of his current team because of his contract --- and be unwilling to make a fair market offer - then I believe that to have been shortsighted.  

I believe the plan was to make an offer in-season as they did with JFM if Reddick played at a high level.  Reddick said he'd show up and play under his new deal which would have allowed that to happen.

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I haven't seen that report nor do I know what the real Market value is for him.  

Reddick is on the last year and is underpaid like almost every good player in the last year of his contract. The issue is he wants to be paid north of 25 mil. Currently there isn't a single edge that is his age or older that is paid over 25 mil per year. Here are the players are are paid more than 25 mil and their age:

Nick Bosa: 26

Josh Allen: 27

Brian Burns: 26

T.J. Watt 29 (a few weeks younger than Reddick)

Myles Garrett: 28

So there is no real market value for him  as of today and JD isn't looking to set it. Let someone else figure that out. But for comp purposes, T.J. Watt is the closest in age and he is paid an AAV of 28 mil. Also for reference, our best defensive player, Quinnen Williams (age 26) is paid 24 mil AAV. 

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's also possible he is comfortable, made a ton of money has his health and wants to do something else?  That's not impossible. In fact it's the smart move.  Getting out with millions and your health is amazingly under rated as the best move.  Way more players should be doing that.

Ok and what are the odds of him doing that? Not impossible could mean less than 0.1% but not zero.

4 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Reddick is not Revis. Hold firm.

He's not even Q, who is paid less than what Reddick wants. Paying Reddick, a guy who has never played a down for the Jets, more than Q would be a slap in the face. Q is much more valuable to the the Jets than Reddick.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

He isn't getting that from us! I would wish him good luck and try to trade him at that point.

Reports claim the Jets were the only team not to hang up on the Eagles when Philly told potential acquiring teams how much Reddick was asking for.  Nobody else wants him.  That makes him tough to trade.

• Upvote 2