New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Zero downside to paying Bryce Huff $20+M and still needing another DE to stop the run?  Having Huff on the tag would have had repurcussions during the free agent period when they were looking to sign Smith and Williams.  They wouldn't have had to cut JFM loose way earlier and probably wouldn't have even gotten a pick for him.

But there was zero downside.  

I don’t think Huff signing the franchise tag would have prevented the Jets from signing Smith. There’s always a way to move the money around with 1 year deals.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think Huff signing the franchise tag would have prevented the Jets from signing Smith. There’s always a way to move the money around with 1 year deals.

They could move the money around, but they would have had to move a sh*t ton more money around and they would have been on the hook from moment one.  They don't have problems with pass rush.  They have problems with run support.  Huff is a pass rusher that sucks against the run.  They are now thin at DE and he still does not resolve any issues for the team beyond having another body on the field. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They could move the money around, but they would have had to move a sh*t ton more money around and they would have been on the hook from moment one.  They don't have problems with pass rush.  They have problems with run support.  Huff is a pass rusher that sucks against the run.  They are now thin at DE and he still does not resolve any issues for the team beyond having another body on the field. 

They just lost their best pass rusher for the season 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Where is preseason beast Leonard Taylor III?

Gameday inactive?  I haven't noticed him on the field.  🥲

He has been inactive the first 2 weeks.

I'm hopeful he gets on the field on Thursday night.

At 6'03 & 305 lbs he is big enough that he should hold up well at the point of attack, against the run.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Second best? Either way, they are now down 3 pass rushers.

3?!?  How will they ever fill out the roster?  Johnson got his sacks on motor IMO.  The benefit he provided was being a quick rusher that held up at the point of attack.  Huff did not hold up at the point of attack.  They seemed to pressure Levis pretty well down the stretch after they carted Johnson off.  Can you name the three they are down?  Why not count Lawson?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Don't see it happening, but here you go:

Joe Douglas needs to solve Jets' Haason Reddick mess (nypost.com)

By Mark Cannizzaro

"If Douglas is uncomfortable giving Reddick a long-term deal, perhaps he can offer him a “Band-Aid’’ one-year deal for some $30 million.."

I don't see that happening.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

A bit premature after two games. Also have to factor in JJ being out for the season. Reddick isn’t going to play for the Jets. Huff being on the roster on the tag still had zero downside. 

I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have considered things premature if results were the other way around, like it wasn’t premature before he’d played a down for the Eagles.

Sperm intuition ;) 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

3?!?  How will they ever fill out the roster?  Johnson got his sacks on motor IMO.  The benefit he provided was being a quick rusher that held up at the point of attack.  Huff did not hold up at the point of attack.  They seemed to pressure Levis pretty well down the stretch after they carted Johnson off.  Can you name the three they are down?  Why not count Lawson?

Johnson hurt, Huff walked, Reddick ghosted. All avoidable. 

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have considered things premature if results were the other way around, like it wasn’t premature before he’d played a down for the Eagles.

Sperm intuition ;) 

The Jets are getting nothing from Reddick and let Huff leave. I mean, there is nothing positive about the above. 

20 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets are getting nothing from Reddick and let Huff leave. I mean, there is nothing positive about the above. 

There is a difference between "letting Huff leave" and "Huff not wanting to stay"

If a player like Huff is hitting free agency and clearly doesn't want to stay with the team, which was very evident by every response Huff ever gave to the media, when asked about signing an extension with the Jets, there is nothing that the Jets can do about it.

You tag him and you have a disgruntled, unhappy player on your hands - just like we have with Reddick now.

Point being Huff had zero intentions of re-signing with the Jets.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Huff was replaced by McDonald. Reddick has never been with the team, so all we lost there is a 3rd round pick 2 years from now. We are down one guy, JJ. 

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

There is a difference between "letting Huff leave" and "Huff not wanting to stay"

If a player like Huff is a hitting free agency and clearly doesn't want to stay with the team, which was very evident by every response Huff ever gave to the media, when asked about signing an extension with the Jets, there is nothing that the Jets can do about it.

You tag him and you have a disgruntled, unhappy player on your hands - just like we have with Reddick now.

Point being Huff had zero intentions of re-signing with the Jets.

We could have played him 3 downs to make him happy. You can see how well that is working out in Philly 😅

• Haha 1

No one is happy about the Reddick situation, but…

Yes, it’s a positive to not guarantee $21MM to a situational player who needs to be off the field more than on it, who likely would’ve held out this summer himself anyway, and who (thus far) wouldn’t have changed the Jets’ win-loss record at all.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Johnson's injury was avoidable?  It must have been that MetLife tur... oh wait.  Douglas did that?  Did he walk on the field and trip him?  Give him defective cleats?  

There was never any scenario where they have Huff and Reddick at the same time.  None.    If you want to whine about letting JFM go fine, but there was also no planet where they had JFM and Reddick or Huff.  To be honest losing JFM is probably the big loss here, but for some reason you aren't squeaking about that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Johnson's injury was avoidable?  It must have been that MetLife tur... oh wait.  Douglas did that?  Did he walk on the field and trip him?  Give him defective cleats?  

There was never any scenario where they have Huff and Reddick at the same time.  None.    If you want to whine about letting JFM go fine, but there was also no planet where they had JFM and Reddick or Huff.  To be honest losing JFM is probably the big loss here, but for some reason you aren't squeaking about that.

I don’t know why they traded him either. They had a choice to either retain Huff or gamble on Reddick. They lost. Now another gets hurt and they’re down a guy without another pass rusher in the pipeline. Stacking pass rushers is good. 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t know why they traded him either. They had a choice to either retain Huff or gamble on Reddick. They lost. Now another gets hurt and they’re down a guy without another pass rusher in the pipeline. Stacking pass rushers is good. 

False. McDonald replaced Huff. Reddick wasn't even a pipe dream when they let Huff hit FA. Why do you keep posting bullsh*t??

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Stacking pass rushers is good.  Whining that they don't have every potentially available pass rusher is not.  They didn't have the choice to get Huff.  He did not want to be here.  He wanted a big contract.  They could have tagged him.  It would be stupid IMO, and he probably would have been very upset about it.  They could have paid Reddick a ton.  Also a bad move IMO.  They can wait him out and see what happens, which is what they have been doing and be out the equivalent of a 2024 5th round pick.  They have other pass rushers. McGregor probably looked better in his first camp than Huff did.  They don't have many DE that can hold the edge.  Huff couldn't and I'm not sure how great Reddick will be either.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

they traded for Reddick 3 weeks later i think.

they must have gotten word that Huff wasn't going to play happily on a 1 year tag deal.   i think he would have.

On 9/9/2024 at 10:41 PM, Charlie Brown said:

It is amazing how many were quick to dismiss the roles Huff and JFM out here.  The run defense NEVER looked like this last year.. NEVER!!!

We gave up 134 to the Cowboys in week 2, 157 to the Pats in week 3, 204 to KC in week 4, 139 to Denver in week 5

Our memory isn’t what it used to be friend! 

• Haha 1

Huff bolted out the door for the promise of a full time gig in Philly.  He wasn’t staying here.  Jets weren’t giving him the every down job he wanted.  

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

That wasn't the choice.  The choice was pay Huff a fortune or roll with McDonald.  They rolled with McDonald.  Reddick was a risk taken much later in the process.  I don't like the term luxury, but he was a late addition and not part of the original plan.

• Upvote 1