NFL Exec: Jets may Eventually Have to Deal Haason Reddick

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

Joe Douglas has been very clear over and over.....u just think u know better or are smarter...neither of which is true.

While it’s true that past performance is no guarantee of future performance, I feel pretty good about my read.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

So he doesn't suffer a career ending or ruining injury, get released, and never earn another cent?

The real question is why he won't come negotiate with the Jets to get his guaranteed money. The answer is, apparently, that he wants a long term deal. But the approach doesn't match the destination for him lol

Doesn’t make sense because the next gm isn’t just gonna release him. Hes either getting traded or play and become a free agent.  

I don’t see any team giving him longer then 2 years. Hes just…not smart. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He'll suffer a couple soft tissue injuries upon his return and we'll never see him again.  SEE:  Revis, Darrelle.

“Oopsie I think I pulled my business decision, uh, I mean hammy. Yeah, that’s what I did. I pulled my hammy. Look…  It’s all pull-y right now.”

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jgb said:

Injury

What he’s doing here is just what Bell did when Pittsburgh tagged him a second time.

There was near unanimity here - particularly after the fact - that Bell was 100% stupid and all he did was lose the $ he’d have made under that franchise tag season. No consideration given to what if he sustained a Dustin Keller type injury under that offer for one year followed by being locked in at the team’s pleasure thereafter.

There’s a lot of overlap here with this situation. The main difference is that Bell would be a UFA after a full season holdout season, where Reddick will not, because Bell wasn’t actually under contract. The offer that Bell rejected from Pittsburgh only guaranteed that one season by design (as well as RB being a higher injury-risk position to begin with), and to date he’d never signed a veteran contract, going right from his rookie deal to being tagged twice in a row. The theme is that neither wants to risk major injury playing on a deal that could leave him SOL after one season as then damaged goods.

If I cared to research I’m sure at least some of the “Reddick’s right here” people also mocked Bell back when he held out.

I don’t think it’s so simple to bang out a deal with Reddick given his demands. Also I’m not terribly moved by the prospect of losing a 3rd rounder two seasons later either. The biggest loss was this was the move that made JFM expendable, which is fine if Reddick is playing and not fine if he isn’t. Fans are still without an explanation why JFM accepted a 50% pay cut from Denver but refused such a cut from the Jets.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Doesn’t make sense because the next gm isn’t just gonna release him. Hes either getting traded or play and become a free agent.  

I don’t see any team giving him longer then 2 years. Hes just…not smart. 

Why wouldn’t he? No ones trading for him and he’s not going to play for the Jets. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What he’s doing here is just what Bell did when Pittsburgh tagged him a second time.

There was near unanimity here - particularly after the fact - that Bell was 100% stupid and all he did was lose the $ he’d have made under that franchise tag season. No consideration given to what if he sustained a Dustin Keller type injury under that offer for one year followed by being locked in at the team’s pleasure thereafter.

There’s a lot of overlap here with this situation. The main difference is that Bell would be a UFA after a full season holdout season, where Reddick will not, because Bell wasn’t actually under contract. The offer that Bell rejected from Pittsburgh only guaranteed that one season by design (as well as RB being a higher injury-risk position to begin with), and to date he’d never signed a veteran contract, going right from his rookie deal to being tagged twice in a row. The theme is that neither wants to risk major injury playing on a deal that could leave him SOL after one season as then damaged goods.

If I cared to research I’m sure at least some of the “Reddick’s right here” people also mocked Bell back when he held out.

I don’t think it’s so simple to bang out a deal with Reddick given his demands. Also I’m not terribly moved by the prospect of losing a 3rd rounder two seasons later either. The biggest loss was this was the move that made JFM expendable, which is fine if Reddick is playing and not fine if he isn’t. Fans are still without an explanation why JFM accepted a 50% pay cut from Denver but refused such a cut from the Jets.

Oh, I’m not advocating that Reddick is making the right move. In fact, I’ve said many times on here that’s he’s operating against his own self interest.

But I also believe JD failed to protect the team’s interest and should’ve done better. And even if you think — I don’t — that it was an acceptable calculated risk to make the trade without a new deal signed, announcing publicly that Reddick needs to be present to advance discussions was a non-value-added condition to place upon the negotiation.

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes, I rely on media types for information about the Jets. If you have an insider source, kindly share what you’ve heard.

I don’t consider Asman media. He’s like one of us on this board only he’s not actually one of us.

He’s a Jets fan entertaining a couple Jets fans. Only difference is he’s making a few hundy a month doing it,

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t consider Asman media. He’s like one of us on this board only he’s not actually one of us.

A Jets fan entertaining Jets fans. 

He quoted Connor Hughes. But hey I get it, the beat guys all “stink” and much easier to torpedo the man than the message but what can I say, I’m in Germany and that’s my source of info.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh, I’m not advocating that Reddick is making the right move. In fact, I’ve said many times on here that’s he’s operating against his own self interest.

But I also believe JD failed to protect the team’s interest and should’ve done better. And even if you think — I don’t — that it was an acceptable calculated risk to make the trade without a new deal signed, announcing publicly that Reddick needs to be present to advance discussions was a non-value-added condition to place upon the negotiation.

I don’t think he said all that. What he said was - particularly in light of the kind of extension Reddick was seeking - he’d have to see him on the team first. That’s to see if he’s slowed down, if he’s a good fit for this staff, if he meshes well with teammates, and I’m sure as a bonus (for JD) to see if he gets badly hurt right away. They could talk about potential extension frameworks but nothing is getting officially offered to sign until then.

He did make a bandaid bump that included another year for 2025, under-market (though it wasn’t released how low).

At least according to Hughes they have been in contact (and it didn’t just start today) but throughout neither side has been willing to come off what they want, which is:

• Douglas hasn’t ruled out meeting Reddick’s demands on an extension, but given those amounts and Reddick’s age, wants his coaches to see him firsthand before doing so.
  • Reddick wants at least $50MM guaranteed through 2025: a $10MM bump for this season plus a fully guaranteed $25MM next season. He’s already (allegedly) turned down $3MM less than that without accruing several million in fines and there’s no indication he’ll accept less now that he has accrued them.

That may just be too far to bridge.

In fairness, though, I haven’t been in the room, listening in on any calls, or reading any emails/texts between the two sides going back to March/April when the trade went through.

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Okay. You think Reddick screwed up and you think Douglas screwed up. Now all you have to do is pretend you don't understand why Woody won't just fix it and you're ready to argue JN's case at arbitration.

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t think he said all that. What he said was - particularly in light of the kind of extension Reddick was seeking - he’d have to see him on the team first. That’s to see if he’s slowed down, if he’s a good fit for this staff, if he meshes well with teammates, and I’m sure as a bonus (for JD) to see if he gets badly hurt right away. They could talk about potential extension frameworks but nothing is getting officially offered to sign until then.

He did make a bandaid bump that included another year for 2025, under-market (though it wasn’t released how low).

At least according to Hughes they have been in contact (and it didn’t just start today) but throughout neither side has been willing to come off what they want, which is:

• Douglas hasn’t ruled out meeting Reddick’s demands on an extension, but given those amounts and Reddick’s age, wants his coaches to see him firsthand before doing so.
  • Reddick wants at least $50MM guaranteed through 2025: a $10MM bump for this season plus a fully guaranteed $25MM next season. He’s already (allegedly) turned down $3MM less than that without accruing several million in fines and there’s no indication he’ll accept less now that he has accrued them.

That may just be too far to bridge.

This is why all of this should’ve been discussed as a condition to the trade. Glad to hear that the buzz is that JD is walking back his precondition to talk, still better if he didn’t overplay his hand with a boneheaded condition

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, though, I haven’t been in the room, listening in on any calls, or reading any emails/texts between the two sides going back to March/April when the trade went through.

Appreciate this but you don’t need these caveats with me.  I like to discuss the meat of the topic and not try to find some lame, weak thread (“But how can you really knoooowwww that?”) like it’s some kind of mic drop.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

He quoted Connor Hughes. But hey I get it, the beat guys all “stink” and much easier to torpedo the man than the message but what can I say, I’m in Germany and that’s my source of info.

Connor Hughes is the one who said Reddick was coming in last Saturday, no?

17 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Okay. You think Reddick screwed up and you think Douglas screwed up. Now all you have to do is pretend you don't understand why Woody won't just fix it and you're ready to argue JN's case at arbitration.

No… it’s more nuanced than that. I’ll try to give the executive summary. Forgive me, it’s late here.

1. Reddick is making a poor economic decision

2. JD should’ve adequately protected himself against the possibility of this economically-irrational reaction by Reddick 

3. JD has 10 lawyers on staff trained to memorialize any and all types of agreements 

4. I root for the Jets

5. I criticize JD for exposing the Jets to unnecessary risk.

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Connor Hughes is the guy who said Reddick was coming in last Saturday, no?

Steven Hawking bet Kip Thorne that black holes didn’t exist. Ipso facto, Steven Hawking doesn’t know dick about physics.

JN debate tactics in a nutshell.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

So let me get this right, that if someone is wrong once, that’s a mic drop to shoot down everything they do thenceforth? Care to share all your annual appraisals?

If you’re not batting 1.000 then it’s the same as batting .000, or so it would seem.

• Haha 1

JD taking a lot of heat for this trade and rightly so.  He may very well hold some better leverage in this deal. But it would seem the bigger mistake was trading away JFM without having Reddick signed to a new deal.  At least with JFM on the roster he could handle 1 DE and then they could rotate JJ and McDonald at the other.   Also, where did the money  go saved by trading JFM.

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

He quoted Connor Hughes. Got anything substantive, or just going for the dunk on the 5 foot hoop?

Not trying to dunk on you, or anyone else. I’m saying that in my opinion if Joe Douglas IS now talking to Reddick’s people, Asman and O’Connor aren’t going to be the ones who know.

Why? Asman is a nobody, and OConnor hasn’t been right about anything yet with this story, including “Reddick is coming in” last Saturday.

You want to believe differently? You’re certainly allowed to do that.

9 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

JD taking a lot of heat for this trade and rightly so.  He may very well hold some better leverage in this deal. But it would seem the bigger mistake was trading away JFM without having Reddick signed to a new deal.  At least with JFM on the roster he could handle 1 DE and then they could rotate JJ and McDonald at the other.   Also, where did the money  go saved by trading JFM.

If the Dolphins or Bills were in this exact situation, these same folks would be mocking them incessantly. It’s just normal fandom stuff, gotta take it for what it is.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Does Joe Douglas care more about winning the Reddick negotiation or winning football games this season?

If he doesn't win this year, it won't matter what happens with Reddick -- Douglas will be looking for a new job.

Britney Spears Cool Story Bro GIF

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Not trying to dunk on you, or anyone else. I’m saying that in my opinion if Joe Douglas IS now talking to Reddick’s people, Asman and O’Connor aren’t going to be the ones who know.

No, the last to know would be us. Guys like Connor who have actual sources would be second to last. We’d hear it from them.