NFL Exec: Jets may Eventually Have to Deal Haason Reddick

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why is it he has “no choice” but to trade him? 

People don’t do things without reasons, even if the reasons aren’t good, and/or even if people don’t like the reasons. There’s no reason given here.

The only good reason to trade Reddick is if they’re offered more than they gave up to get him. Absent that, they don’t “have to” do anything.

So if they don't trade him or sign him to a new contract what happens? He continues to be in a doghouse losing money. And we end up losing a 3rd round pick for nothing? Is he able to sign elsewhere next year with another team and we get no compensation? This makes no sense on either side. I can see why the Jets don't want to invest  a new contract with him. But how does this help his cause to lose a whole year's salary of $15 M, and fines that I assume will still be allocated.  A new contract with another team next year may or may not happen to his liking anyways.  LeVon Bell, among others, tried this and LOST tons of money and didn't come close to getting the contract he wanted elsewhere. This is a real mess and JD should have had the foresight to see this could happen.  We are now minus 3 players that significantly produced a pass rush that are not here anymore.  They left and or were traded, fine, but JD needed to have a better plan in place to sustain the pass rush which is now NON-EXISTENT.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Asman is a nobody, and OConnor hasn’t been right about anything yet with this story, including “Reddick is coming in last Saturday”.

You want to believe differently? You’re certainly allowed to do that.

I said “Asman said and if true…” then later clarified he was quoting Hughes. You’re acting like I’m trying to sell the Dead Sea Scrolls to the British Museum.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

No, the last to know would be us. Guys like Connor who have actual sources would be second to last. We’d hear it from them.

Of course we would be the last to know. I also agree guys LIKE Asman and O’Connor would be second, but it wouldn’t actually BE them. One is a nobody, and the other hasn’t been right about anything in this situation, despite a  having a plethora of “inside” opinions on the subject.

Again, you’re obviously free to disagree, and I’ve said all I can say. Get a good nights sleep, my friend.

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Of course we would be the last to know. I also agree guys LIKE Asman and O’Connor would be second, but it wouldn’t actually BE them. One is a nobody, and the other hasn’t been right about anything in this situation, despite a  having a plethora of “inside” opinions on the subject.

Again, you’re obviously free to disagree, and I’ve said all I can say. Get a good nights sleep, my friend.

It’s not a disagreement. It’s an avoidance by source disparagement. If you want to debate, let’s discuss whether we think JD is talking to Reddick’s camp and if that’s a reversal of his previously-stated position. That’s a debate.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s not a disagreement. It’s an avoidance by source disparagement. If you want to debate, let’s discuss whether we think JD is talking to Reddick’s camp and if that’s a reversal of his previously-stated position. That’s a debate.

I have no idea, but I think he is foolish if he isn’t.
I’m not one of the “let him rot” guys. I’m a Jets fan. I want to see Reddick playing for them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I have no idea, but I think he’d be foolish if he isn’t. I’m not one of the “let him rot” guys. I’m a Jets fan. I want to see Reddick playing for them.

Agree it would be foolish if he is not which is the entire foundation of my premise that it was a very poor negotiation move to attach the condition of Reddick’s physical presence to any discussions.

Resdick’s agents, it seems, have drawn the obvious conclusion that as an NFL GM with cap money and trade capital now invested in Reddick, he wouldn’t be able to avoid talks out of principle.

Never make a threat you’re not willing to follow through on, and even more importantly, never make a threat the other side knows you are unable to follow through on.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree it would be foolish if he is not which is the entire foundation of my premise that it was a very poor negotiation move to attach the condition of Reddick’s physical presence to any discussions.

Resdick’s agents, it seems, have drawn the obvious conclusion that as an NFL GM with cap money and trade capital now invested in Reddick, he wouldn’t be able to avoid talks out of principle.

Never make a threat you’re not willing to follow through on, and even more importantly, never make a threat the other side knows you are unable to follow through on.

I’ve agreed with your stance from the day you returned and first stated it. 
Don’t mistake me saying what I have here about Asman and O’Connor as me no longer doing so.

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ve agreed with your stance from the day you returned and first stated it. 
Don’t mistake me saying what I have here about Asman and O’Connor as me no longer doing so.

So you agree with their view but don’t like their credibility. May I suggest, friend, you’re chasing windmills a bit. Enjoy your evening.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JetNation said:

Haason-Reddick.jpg

A report from Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com says that in speaking to execs around the league, there are those who believe the Jets may have “no choice” but to trade Haason Reddick.

Haason-Reddick-300x200.jpg

Dec 3, 2023; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Haason Reddick (7) reacts after a defensive stop against the San Francisco 49ers during the first quarter at Lincoln Financial Field. Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

The disgruntled edge rusher who recently demanded a trade, has amassed over $5 million in fines for failing to report this season as he hopes for a bigger pay day.  He will continue to rack up roughly $800,000 per week as he is now losing game checks.

Gang Green dealt for Reddick this offseason after, according to Connor Hughes of SNY, believing Reddick would play ball.  The Jets believed Reddick was going to come in to camp and work toward earning a new deal.

Meanwhile, Reddick and his camp say he has no plan to report withing first getting his new deal.  Both sides are dug in deep but at some point something will have to give.

Following their season-opening loss, Reddick likely believed his position was strengthened as Robert Saleh’s defense generated close to zero pass rush.

The post NFL Exec: Jets may Eventually Have to Deal Haason Reddick appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

How does that help the Jets win football games?

How does putting someone out there who hasn't practiced and is out of shape who isn't interested in following the play but is chasing glory going to help us win?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Hard to sort through the nicknames, but if it is true that JD is talking to Reddick’s reps, that’s a cave in… from the very foolish stand that the player needs to report to talk at all. Unforced negotiation error.

Very possible the conversation is / was we aren't talking until he reports.  

No one is going to ignore a call, at least long term, when both sides want a resolution.

IMO, JD holds all the cards, and Reddick has absolutely no leverage.  

The worst JD could lose is a 6th round pick 2 years.  The worst for Reddick is JD holds the rights to him next season.

The best form of negotiations is leaving an open line of communication, unless they are using the storm out and stubborn approach you referred to.

10 minutes ago, hawk said:

Very possible the conversation is / was we aren't talking until he reports.  

No one is going to ignore a call, at least long term, when both sides want a resolution.

IMO, JD holds all the cards, and Reddick has absolutely no leverage.  

The worst JD could lose is a 6th round pick 2 years.  The worst for Reddick is JD holds the rights to him next season.

The best form of negotiations is leaving an open line of communication, unless they are using the storm out and stubborn approach you referred to.

Reddick has more than “absolutely no leverage.” It’s incredible how many people feel the way you do, though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

According to Jake Asman, Jets talking to Reddick again.

JD committed the ultimate negotiation sin: made a threat he wasn’t willing to follow through on. Will cost ‘em.

This is the smart move.  It shouldn't have taken this long.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is the smart move.  It shouldn't have taken this long.  

JD overplayed his hand and been worrying about how to save face for a couple weeks. Self-inflicted wound.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, jgb said:

Reddick has more than “absolutely no leverage.” It’s incredible how many people feel the way you do, though.

What leverage does he have?

With whatever leverage he has, what is the risk?  In my opinion, the "more than absolutely no leverage" is far outweighed by tolling.

13 minutes ago, hawk said:

What leverage does he have?

With whatever leverage he has, what is the risk?  In my opinion, the "more than absolutely no leverage" is far outweighed by tolling.

Well since you said he has “absolutely no leverage,” I only need to demonstrate a tiny amount.

So I will offer one point (of many): currently about $13.4M is being held hostage that isn’t on the field in this all-in year with JD and Saleh’s jobs on the line.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, jgb said:

Well since you said he has “absolutely no leverage,” I only need to demonstrate a tiny amount.

So I will offer one point (of many): currently about $13.4M is being held hostage that isn’t on the field in this all-in year with JD and Saleh’s jobs on the line.

That is fanfare.  Not leverage.

Also, I do not believe he is counting against the cap, and if they had a viable player to use said salary cap on, they could simply cut him, which there isn't and they won't, and sign said player.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hawk said:

That is fanfare.  Not leverage.

Also, I do not believe he is counting against the cap, and if they had a viable player to use said salary cap on, they could simply cut him, which there isn't and they won't, and sign said player.

Yeah ok, pal. Pretty clear here you don’t understand the situation and are arguing from a conclusion rather than to one.

If you are going to stick to Reddick having “absolutely no leverage” (rather than concede, as you must, that you were speaking from hyperbole), then you just don’t have the necessary foundational negotiation knowledge to make continued discussion fruitful.

7 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

It would be great if players actually signed contracts that they intended to honor.

So you must be against teams cutting players with years left on their deal, also. “Honor thy contract!”

Every agent, GM and player knows that once the guaranteed money is gone, the contract is worth a stained diaper discarded on the side of the highway. It’s only fans that try to spin it into some kind of moral issue because they just want the gladiators in the arena come Sundays.

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

So you must be against teams cutting players with years left on their deal, also. “Honor thy contract!”

Every agent, GM and player knows that once the guaranteed money is gone, the contract is worth a stained diaper discarded on the side of the highway. It’s only fans that try to spin it into some kind of moral issue because they just want the gladiators in the arena come Sundays.

When teams guarantee a player money they must pay him. When a player signs a contract, he agrees to honor the terms specified in that contract as does the team. Yet only the team is forced to honor the signature. If the player signs a bad contract, that is his fault and his agent's fault. I side with the four corners of a contractual agreement. In real life, holding out would be considered breach. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

When teams guarantee a player money they must pay him. When a player signs a contract, he agrees to honor the terms specified in that contract as does the team. Yet only the team is forced to honor the signature. If the player signs a bad contract, that is his fault and his agent's fault. I side with the four corners of a contractual agreement. In real life, holding out would be considered breach. 

Breaching a contract isn’t illegal. In fact, and especially with employment contracts, it’s a constitutional right. Now there may be financial consequences, but the 14th amendment prevents specific enforcement of employment contracts.

I’d respect your position a lot more if you applied it equally to players and teams. But it never does seem to go that way with fans. When teams cut a player, fans say “it’s just business.” When players hold out, “What a dishonorable, greedy pig!”

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Breaching a contract isn’t illegal. In fact, and especially with employment contracts, it’s a constitutional right. Now there may be financial consequences, but the 14th amendment prevents specific enforcement of employment contracts.

I’d respect your position a lot more if you applied it equally to players and teams. But it never does seem to go that way with fans. When teams cut a player, fans say “it’s just business.” When players hold out, “What a dishonorable, greedy pig!”

Cutting a player could or could not carry a monetary cost to a team. Again, it depends on the contract that both the yeam and the player signed. I mean, that not a hard concept. The player that accept a contract, is liable for his decision. As is the team that signed a bad contract. I did NOT say that breaking a contract is illegal,  but in real life, there could be very real consequences to breaching. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Cutting a player could or could not carry a monetary cost to a team. Again, it depends on the contract that both the yeam and the player signed. I mean, that not a hard concept. The player that accept a contract, is liable for his decision. As is the team that signed a bad contract. I did NOT say that breaking a contract is illegal,  but in real life, there could be very real consequences to breaching. 

Man, I respect you, but you don’t have the necessary foundational knowledge about employment law for this to end in a positive way. Enjoy your night.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

So you agree with their view but don’t like their credibility. May I suggest, friend, you’re chasing windmills a bit. Enjoy your evening.

Had to google that one. Good stuff. 😊 

On topic, I wish they could find a middle ground and get him on the field. Defense definitely needs what he provides. 

• Upvote 1

Had to google that one. Good stuff.  
On topic, I wish they could find a middle ground and get him on the field. Defense definitely needs what he provides. 
This ... These guys seem to be dug in on both sides ... [mention=10592]jgb[/mention] is not wrong ... Reddick is eating up cash that could be used elsewhere. The rest of the world is not wrong either in that Hassan must have a completely distorted world view of himself. The only way this works out for Hassan is if he gets the Brinks truck fully guaranteed deal that makes massive cash loss he will experience seem like peanuts... And even then ... He could have made much much more by playing the season out... Plus he would have control of his destination on FA.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2