Brock Bowers Already on track to be better than Gronk

And Stephen Hill after his first career game was on pace for 1,500 yards and 32 Touchdowns.  We can do this all day and overrate Bowers

You’re being silly as nobody is using a one game sample size for these arguments.

Stephen Hill was on pace for 27 catches and 474 yards through his first three games with a 33% catch rate.

Brock is on pace for 100+ catches and 1100+ yards and is catching 86% of his targets through three games.

Brock Bowers haters are deranged.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

You’re being silly as nobody is using a one game sample size for these arguments.

Stephen Hill was on pace for 27 catches and 474 yards through his first three games with a 33% catch rate.

Brock is on pace for 100+ catches and 1100+ yards and is catching 86% of his targets through three games.

He’d’ve been a helluva third round pick! 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

I don't think anyone hates Bowers. He's a very good player. He's just not a TE so comparing him to Gronk is a nonstarter.

Gronk blocked like a Tackle. It's not the extra blocking that's important here. It's the threat of a mismatch. I mean if you put a LB on Gronk they audibled out and couldn't cover him and a safety was getting steamrolled. I can't begin to explain what a benefit that is for a QB and an entire offense. 

I've never seen another TE like him and I still haven't. 

If you want to argue that Bowers is the best Hback ever then start that thread. Maybe he's the next Aaron Hernandez but he's not the next Gronk.

He's more of a loose end than a TE.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I don't think anyone hates Bowers. He's a very good player. He's just not a TE so comparing him to Gronk is a nonstarter.

Gronk blocked like a Tackle. It's not the extra blocking that's important here. It's the threat of a mismatch. I mean if you put a LB on Gronk they audibled out and couldn't cover him and a safety was getting steamrolled. I can't begin to explain what a benefit that is for a QB and an entire offense. 

I've never seen another TE like him and I still haven't. 

If you want to argue that Bowers is the best Hback ever then start that thread. Maybe he's the next Aaron Hernandez but he's not the next Gronk.

He's more of a loose end than a TE.

Gronk is a top 1-3 TE of all time, arguably #1.  Yet we drafted Kyle Wilson a midget  from Boise State when a young Mark Sanchez was in need of development. Imagine Gronk on the 2010 jets. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2024 at 6:59 AM, southparkcpa said:

Gronk is a top 1-3 TE of all time, arguably #1.  Yet we drafted Kyle Wilson a midget  from Boise State when a young Mark Sanchez was in need of development. Imagine Gronk on the 2010 jets. 

Oh just imagine if we were ever allowed to pass when they expected run or vice versa? I'm afraid we would have wasted Gronk if he was here. 

On 9/25/2024 at 12:57 PM, southparkcpa said:

He's actually quite smart.  Rich as "Fukk" as Gase would say.  Lived off endorsement money and never spent his pay check. Probably has 30-40 mil in the bank

He scored a 32 on the Wonderlic which equates to about a 125 IQ. While the test’s applicability to football has been legitimately challenged, it is a rather well-regarded raw intelligence test.

On 9/24/2024 at 10:33 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

So bowers is a lock hall of famer?

I steady maintained throughout the entire draft process that the 2 safest picks in the draft, who I think are both HOF talents were MHJ and Brock Bowers.  So far, I've seen nothing but confirmation and per the thread, apparently Gronk in on board as well. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I steady maintained throughout the entire draft process that the 2 safest picks in the draft, who I think are both HOF talents were MHJ and Brock Bowers.  So far, I've seen nothing but confirmation and per the thread, apparently Gronk in on board as well. 

Gronkowski was a prolific receiver, but had just two full seasons over his career, and just four 1000 yard seasons (his best after that is the 802 he got with Brady in his final season). But a monster of a blocker as well, and averaged 15 ypc over the course of his career. Bowers is a tiny TE averaging 10.9 yards/catch with no TDs. He has an extremely long way to go to be a part of any HoF conversations. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Gronkowski was a prolific receiver, but had just two full seasons over his career, and just four 1000 yard seasons (his best after that is the 802 he got with Brady in his final season). But a monster of a blocker as well, and averaged 15 ypc over the course of his career. Bowers is a tiny TE averaging 10.9 yards/catch with no TDs. He has an extremely long way to go to be a part of any HoF conversations. 

Computer Coding GIF by davidvnun

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jgb said:

He scored a 32 on the Wonderlic which equates to about a 125 IQ. While the test’s applicability to football has been legitimately challenged, it is a rather well-regarded raw intelligence test.

Random…..  you retired this year? Still overseas???

I’m close but they (Buyers of my company)  literally pay me to do zero so all good. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Worth noting that after his first three games, Gronk had 5 catches for 58 yards and 2 TDs.

Is every player that exceeds that to start their career therefore "on track to be better than Gronk"? emoji12.png

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Only if 40 yards/game are going to a different TE on the same team that same season. ;) 

I take for Granted Gronk would've gotten more targets - and by extension, more yards - had another elite receiving TE not also been on the field, too, with both of them individually trailing the WR1 but collectively eclipsing him. 

Bowers is out to an excellent start, no doubt. It's still at best a guess that the team would've been better this season with an upgrade at TE and a downgrade at tackle, or if 90% of the targets to Bowers have simply gone to the Jets' backs & Conklin. IOW the Jets wouldn't have an extra 18 receptions this year on top of the current totals. How many more would it be? Who knows.

I'd give Gipson & rookie Corley's snaps to him any day, but that wasn't the true binary choice, with everything else remaining equal. Everything else isn't equal, however.

That calculation would be less equal still if Warren or Mitchell (or Turner ffs) had to start instead of Olu for the next month -- never mind if Smith also sustains an injury over that same span where then two of those three would be starting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/25/2024 at 4:59 AM, southparkcpa said:

CBNY at JI used to curse out people in all caps if they said anything critical about Kyle Wilson

And then Victor Cruz happened 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, slats said:

Where do you get that Brock Bowers is "tiny"? Just saying so doesn't make it true. The average NFL tight end is 6 feet 4 inches, 254 pounds. Bowers is 7/8 inch shorter and 11 pounds lighter than average.

Undersized? Yes.

Tiny? No.

7 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Where do you get that Brock Bowers is "tiny"? Just saying so doesn't make it true. The average NFL tight end is 6 feet 4 inches, 254 pounds. Bowers is 7/8 inch shorter and 11 pounds lighter than average.

Undersized? Yes.

Tiny? No.

He’s 230 lbs. He does not bring the valuable intangible quality you look for in a, “generational TE,” and that is the ability to be an additional OL when needed. He’s a flanker or a larger slot receiver, the sort of player you don’t burn first round picks on. RBs are the lowest paid position n the league because of the frequency with which they fail to produce for the entirety of a second contract. The TE position is right down there, though, and that’s because it’s not considered a valuable position to the league. If you can only perform a portion of the job, that would make you less valuable. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s 230 lbs. He does not bring the valuable intangible quality you look for in a, “generational TE,” and that is the ability to be an additional OL when needed. He’s a flanker or a larger slot receiver, the sort of player you don’t burn first round picks on. RBs are the lowest paid position n the league because of the frequency with which they fail to produce for the entirety of a second contract. The TE position is right down there, though, and that’s because it’s not considered a valuable position to the league. If you can only perform a portion of the job, that would make you less valuable. 

You dont burn 1st round picks on game changing WR's?  lmfao  

This is my favorite hill I've ever seen anyone die on.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

You dont burn 1st round picks on game changing WR's?  lmfao  

This is my favorite hill I've ever seen anyone die on.

He’s basically a larger a slot receiver. It’s the same argument as last year, Edge > slot receiver, and OT > glorified slot receiver. First round picks on slot guys is dumb, in the first round you’re looking for #1 WRs. 

Positions listed in order of franchise tag value: 

• QB
  • LB/EDGE
  • WR
  • OL
  • DE
  • DT
  • CB
  • S
  • TE
  • RB

Franchise number for the lowest valued position on defense is $17.1M, for TEs it’s $12.6M. It’s just not a position not worth a first round pick unless you’ve come accross one of those unicorns at the position, which Bowers is not. 

Game changing? LMFAO