Two Decisions this team will not recover from unless drastic actions are taken in January

1. The hiring of Adam Gase. This was an abject disaster for the team, that already had a poor reputation and a fractured culture. This is still leaving a ripple effect on the franchise. The entire roster and coaching staff were a complete disaster around Sam Darnold, who at the time the jury was still out on (it kind of still is, tbh). Gregg Williams being the psychopath that he is, teamed up with... whatever the hell is clinically wrong with Gase just crushed the last teeny, tiny shred of credibility the org and ownership had in the league. Nobody respects the franchise. Mike McCarthy was out there BEGGING to coach the team and "fix" Darnold. No, he isn't some savant or guru or franchise savior.... but he was a professional Football Coach with a bit of respect and clout in the league, a track record of success, an experienced HC, and a hiring that could have legitimized a floundering and suffocated franchise. But for some INSANE, MORONIC, UNINTELLIGIBLE reason, the Jets hired Adam ******* Gase after he was terminated by the Dolphins for all of the things he would bring to the Jets. And this directly led to essentially a COUP in the franchise, with MacCagnan being rightfully fired (HE didn't want to hire MM for fear of being minimized or sh*tcanned by a PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL COACH). Which brings us to Gase bringing in Joe Douglas. Not a bad hiring AT THE TIME, but his first draft was an outright disaster and let's be real, so far, aside from good initial returns on 2022, it's not looking great.

2. Trading Darnold with 1 year left on his contract and drafting the worst prospect to ever be selected in the top 2 of a draft.  The team around Darnold was a complete joke. An uncompetitive, hollowed out, barely professional roster. After selecting Defensive Tackles in the top of the first round like a hoarder with a fetish, there was NOTHING at the core of the team. The O Line was a disaster. There were ZERO skill position players of note. A 40-year-old Frank Gore was the primary weapon FFS, and a bunch of dudes that wouldn't make the current teams PS were STARTERS. They had a QB under contract and the #2 pick, which was an extremely valuable commodity. Darnold was penciled in at $18M per. He had played 3 years with NOBODIES to throw to, a terrible Offensive Line, and just a bunch of Dreck. Do I think he was the future for the Jets at that time OR in hindsight? No. But I knew that the paramount and most pressing issue was actually building a roster of PROFESSIONAL LEVEL NFL Players. Trading out of #2 for a haul would have provided a LOT of resources to build a team around Darnold while they figured out if he would be the guy... OR having a team in place for the next guy. Unfortunately, the NEXT guy would be the WORST QB prospect I have ever seen drafted in the top 10 of the Draft. They also decided to pair that Rookie QB (on a team still devoid of O-Line or talent) with a first -time HC from the defensive side of the ball. They essentially recreated the EXACT conditions under which Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith and Sam Darnold FAILED in. INSANITY. 

And here we are. On the verge of yet ANOTHER Lather-Rinse-Repeat cycle. And no, none of this is "Hindsight". I was screaming this sh*t here, there, and everywhere as it was happening in real-time. I HATED Zach Wilson. I HATED the Gase hiring. I HATED the Saleh hiring. I HATED the Becton pick. And on and on. 

It will NEVER END. And I don't think this team will recover from these decisive pivot-points for a LONG time. 

• Post of the Week 1

Guys 

it’s woody. 

this is jets football for the next 20 years. 

Now he put JD on a budget (JDs words) on a lame duck year. 

Nobody with choices will ever come here. Nobody. GMs and HC candidates have agents, and no agent will let their guy interview here. None.  Zip. Zero. This is where careers go to die 

Sure they will find a cheap body to take the job but it won’t be the sought after top guy. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

1. The hiring of Adam Gase. This was an abject disaster for the team, that already had a poor reputation and a fractured culture. This is still leaving a ripple effect on the franchise. The entire roster and coaching staff were a complete disaster around Sam Darnold, who at the time the jury was still out on (it kind of still is, tbh). Gregg Williams being the psychopath that he is, teamed up with... whatever the hell is clinically wrong with Gase just crushed the last teeny, tiny shred of credibility the org and ownership had in the league. Nobody respects the franchise. Mike McCarthy was out there BEGGING to coach the team and "fix" Darnold. No, he isn't some savant or guru or franchise savior.... but he was a professional Football Coach with a bit of respect and clout in the league, a track record of success, an experienced HC, and a hiring that could have legitimized a floundering and suffocated franchise. But for some INSANE, MORONIC, UNINTELLIGIBLE reason, the Jets hired Adam ******* Gase after he was terminated by the Dolphins for all of the things he would bring to the Jets. And this directly led to essentially a COUP in the franchise, with MacCagnan being rightfully fired (HE didn't want to hire MM for fear of being minimized or sh*tcanned by a PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL COACH). Which brings us to Gase bringing in Joe Douglas. Not a bad hiring AT THE TIME, but his first draft was an outright disaster and let's be real, so far, aside from good initial returns on 2022, it's not looking great.

2. Trading Darnold with 1 year left on his contract and drafting the worst prospect to ever be selected in the top 2 of a draft.  The team around Darnold was a complete joke. An uncompetitive, hollowed out, barely professional roster. After selecting Defensive Tackles in the top of the first round like a hoarder with a fetish, there was NOTHING at the core of the team. The O Line was a disaster. There were ZERO skill position players of note. A 40-year-old Frank Gore was the primary weapon FFS, and a bunch of dudes that wouldn't make the current teams PS were STARTERS. They had a QB under contract and the #2 pick, which was an extremely valuable commodity. Darnold was penciled in at $18M per. He had played 3 years with NOBODIES to throw to, a terrible Offensive Line, and just a bunch of Dreck. Do I think he was the future for the Jets at that time OR in hindsight? No. But I knew that the paramount and most pressing issue was actually building a roster of PROFESSIONAL LEVEL NFL Players. Trading out of #2 for a haul would have provided a LOT of resources to build a team around Darnold while they figured out if he would be the guy... OR having a team in place for the next guy. Unfortunately, the NEXT guy would be the WORST QB prospect I have ever seen drafted in the top 10 of the Draft. They also decided to pair that Rookie QB (on a team still devoid of O-Line or talent) with a first -time HC from the defensive side of the ball. They essentially recreated the EXACT conditions under which Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith and Sam Darnold FAILED in. INSANITY. 

And here we are. On the verge of yet ANOTHER Lather-Rinse-Repeat cycle. And no, none of this is "Hindsight". I was screaming this sh*t here, there, and everywhere as it was happening in real-time. I HATED Zach Wilson. I HATED the Gase hiring. I HATED the Saleh hiring. I HATED the Becton pick. And on and on. 

It will NEVER END. And I don't think this team will recover from these decisive pivot-points for a LONG time. 

Cat Dog GIF

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Thanks for not reading before responding! 😆 

I think that if you hired McCarthy you’re probably in the same place anyway. Remember it was Chris Johnson who oversaw that mess. Gase, at least, sped up the process of getting Maccagnan out. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

Guys 

it’s woody. 

this is jets football for the next 20 years. 

Now he put JD on a budget (JDs words) on a lame duck year. 

Nobody with choices will ever come here. Nobody. GMs and HC candidates have agents, and no agent will let their guy interview here. None.  Zip. Zero. This is where careers go to die 

Sure they will find a cheap body to take the job but it won’t be the sought after top guy. 

QFT

48 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

#2 is actually 2 separate mistakes.

• Haha 1

Re-reading, it all comes back to selling out for Zach Wilson. Reportedly, Douglas fell in love with Zach in November 2019 and set out to draft him and only him. If Zach was even mediocre, Saleh and co look a lot better, but Zach got LaFleur fired which gave us Hackett which gave us Washed Rodgers. No org can overcome that. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It didn’t need to be Darnold OR Wilson.  I wanted neither.  Imagine where we’d be had we traded back from 2 (and still probably gotten a very good player) in that loaded ‘21 class.  

Exactly where the Jets are right now. An incompetent coach who has allowed other coaches and players take the blame for his failed tenure.

• Upvote 1

Don't think Darnold is a bad QB he will never be great but with a talent around him he is good enough. The Jets should have kept Darnold traded the #2 pick and built a Team around him and if he didn't pan out then you draft a QB. The Jets had a 22 year old QB they drafted and try to develop him with no talent only an idiot gives up to draft a QB that played a cream puff schedule during Covid and was never considered a top 10 pick until year he was drafted. I think with the current team the Jets have with a different OC Darnold get this team to the playoffs at least a wild card Rogers is shot guy has nothing left in the tank.

24 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Exactly where the Jets are right now. An incompetent coach who has allowed other coaches and players take the blame for his failed tenure.

Well yeah I meant roster-wise, lol.  But point well taken!  It’s all useless…

Conan Obrien Being Alive GIF by First We Feast

• Haha 1