Reddick Killed Deal that Joe Douglas and Reps had in Place

JetNation

22 hours ago, C Mart said:

Per Rappaport:

Currently the only NFL player holding out, Reddick must report by Week 13 to receive an accrued season, or his contract will toll and everyone will be in the same situation next year.

What if he reports, and the Jets tell him to get lost. What are the repercussions?

21 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

What do you think would’ve happened if he said “we tried to make a trade for Reddick, but couldn’t agree to a new contract with him, so we moved on?”

Would we be in the same situation we are in right now if we didn't trade for Reddick?

What would be different?

If he showed up we would have had a good edge on the cheap for a year. If not then we give a third and collect a third comp pick in return.

Pretty good gamble if you ask me.

Can you guys just be a little objective? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GenoJet said:

What if he reports, and the Jets tell him to get lost. What are the repercussions?

We would get nothing and he'd be a FA.

If he plays we could get a bunch of sacks then release him next year and recover a 3rd round comp. 

We could deactivate him but then we'd have to pay him and he'd cost us a roster spot. 

23 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I'm tellin you this guy is washed, knows it, and wants a multi-year gtd bag bc he knows the second he hits the field, his next contract will be his last. They better not give this moron anything beyond this year. Unfortunately now it sounds like Woody may pull another Tebow with this jackass

I would MUCH rather see him traded to Detroit or anywhere else, if at all possible.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Trade him to the Lions today.  

Nope.  He does not get off the hook that easily.

His "job" at this point in time is to be the poster child for what players and their agents should never do and still expect to have any kind of a career.  As of now he is good at his job.

• En Fuego 1

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

Nope.  He does not get off the hook that easily.

His "job" at this point in time is to be the poster child for what players and their agents should never do and still expect to have any kind of a career.  As of now he is good at his job.

Why just go for black balling him.  How about lynching him for not getting paid to not play football for the NY Jets?

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, frankiepapa said:

Let's hope he can come in here and be a disruptive force like he's always been... let's forget all this distraction stuff, get him in here and play football

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Oh he'll be a "disruptive force" alright... 

Just not in the way you meant it 

• Haha 1

Reddick's tactics have left a bitter taste in the mouth, but you can't deny the Jets would be a better team with him playing on the edge.

With him rushing from one end and Will McDonald from the other?  Oh, boy.

If a contract gets done, I'll be excited to see the Jets' D with Reddick on the field - it could be truly elite.

Of course, if we don't come to an agreement, then F him.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Why just go for black balling him.  How about lynching him for not getting paid to not play football for the NY Jets?

No, blackballing him is the correct response here although a more accurate take on things is that he is experiencing exile (self imposed).  If he does not want to participate in the game then the game does not accept his participation.  That seems balanced.

As I have said before.  This is not about punishing Reddick.  It is about reacting in a way that ensures that there are no more Reddicks.  If ends up feeling punitive from his point of view then..... Oh well

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

If he does not want to participate in the game then the game does not accept his participation.  That seems balanced.

That's exactly what's happening.  If at some point he and an NFL team including the Jets want him to participate and he's willing there's no reason he shouldn't be able to. 

No, blackballing him is the correct response here although a more accurate take on things is that he is experiencing exile (self imposed).  If he does not want to participate in the game then the game does not accept his participation.  That seems balanced.
As I have said before.  This is not about punishing Reddick.  It is about reacting in a way that ensures that there are no more Reddicks.  If ends up feeling punitive from his point of view then..... Oh well

Wanting to blackball an asset because the holdout hurt your wittle feelings and posting it publicly is embarrassing. Grow up.
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

That's exactly what's happening.  If at some point he and an NFL team including the Jets want him to participate and he's willing there's no reason he shouldn't be able to. 

The conditions under which he would be accepted back will be far more restrictive than the ones were in place before and for one simple reason.  Those conditions were not sufficiently binding on both parties.  Yes, he can withhold his labor AND yes, the NFL can react to that.

Less money, fewer years, stricter noncompliance clauses or all of these things.  Any one of these are a deal breaker for Reddick today and so disabusing him of his idea of self worth will be necessary before any new contract can get done.  If indeed it ever gets done.  I think the NFL writ large will be more than pleased if he is made a permanent example of TBH. 

I understand why everyone here is at the “screw him!” phase but if he shows up and is even 80% of the player he was past few years it very much helps the team.  Sign him to 1 year deal and go get some f’ing sacks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mfmartin said:

Wanting to blackball an asset because the holdout hurt your wittle feelings and posting it publicly is embarrassing. Grow up.

This is not about Reddick.  Please grow up yourself.  It is about making sure that other players who are outperforming their current contracts do not go down the same path.  Quincy Williams for example and scores of others throughout the league. 

Scorched earth may seem harsh nut it really is the only way here 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The conditions under which he would be accepted back will be far more restrictive than the ones were in place before and for one simple reason.  Those conditions were not sufficiently binding on both parties.  Yes, he can withhold his labor AND yes, the NFL can react to that.

Less money, fewer years, stricter noncompliance clauses or all of these things.  Any one of these are a deal breaker for Reddick today and so disabusing him of his idea of self worth will be necessary before any new contract can get done.  If indeed it ever gets done.  I think the NFL writ large will be more than pleased if he is made a permanent example of TBH. 

That's simply not true.  He has fufilled his oblgation based on his contract.  He's contract gave him a bonus tied to the first two years of his contract.  He earned it.  He's not playing or getting paid for his none guaranteed portion of his contract.  He's done zero wrong other than be a boob about negiotating a new deal for his services when the NFL negiotated a deal with the players union that gives ownership leverage.

• WTF? 1

This is not about Reddick.  Please grow up yourself.  It is about making sure that other players who are outperforming their current contracts do not go down the same path.  Quincy Williams for example and scores of others throughout the league. 
Scorched earth may seem harsh nut it really is the only way here 

Outperforming your contract and want more money? Tough sh*t. Not living up to your contract, team cuts you.

Once again, show me on the doll where Reddick hurt you.
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

Let's hope he can come in here and be a disruptive force like he's always been... let's forget all this distraction stuff, get him in here and play football

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

This. Spite & teaching him a lesson doesn't help the team.

We don't need to marry him or name him as the next interim HC; just want him to rush the QB for the rest of the season & hopefully postseason. 

I don't know what available off-ramps there are, but if there are any without locking into him for $25MM+ next season in advance, then I'm in favor of it. Maybe the in-between is $10MM in injury-only guarantees next season + a $5MM bump this season to wipe out the fines. I don't know exactly what he's worth right now, but they could sure use someone opposite McDonald (to say nothing of how badly they'd need him if McDonald gets banged up for even a few games). 

It's a good sign that he's hired serious new representation so there's a buffer rather than trying to talk to him individually, and it should  further indicate Reddick's not dug his heels in on sitting out the season (or why bother with new agents so quickly).

That said, I'm not really optimistic -- he's acted so stupidly and irrationally throughout this process that he's prevented cooler heads from prevailing; but it's a good sign because he's a grade-A knucklehead.

We'll see. The team would be better with him on it, particularly without Johnson. A distant-future 3rd rounder for Reddick at $14MM was a calculated low risk, and sweetening this year to offset the fines is also a calculated fairly low risk. Guaranteeing him full seasons as the team's highest-paid non-QB is a major investment, not a low risk.

It could be argued that Johnson's injury type is so serious - and he's so unlikely to be 100% of what he was all through 2025 (if ever again), and at $2.5MM his salary is still relatively low enough - that keeping Reddick through next season is actually risk mitigation. I'd rather the team makes that call after seeing him in action & in the locker room than before he sets foot in it, and it's harder to say that's risk mitigation rather than risk increase after being away from action for 9+ months & who knows how far from game shape he's in.

56 minutes ago, Frankie Green said:

I'm tellin you this guy is washed, knows it, and wants a multi-year gtd bag bc he knows the second he hits the field, his next contract will be his last. They better not give this moron anything beyond this year. Unfortunately now it sounds like Woody may pull another Tebow with this jackass

I would MUCH rather see him traded to Detroit or anywhere else, if at all possible.

Ex-Jets WR

• Upvote 2

I'm fine with finding a way to get him in the door for this season.  It would (probably) benefit the team and help us win this year.

We shouldn't give him a deal for a minute longer than the remainder of this year though.  The thought of giving this guy...who has zero ties to our team, means nothing to the locker room, and has spent the last 3 months embarrassing the franchise...a multi year deal, and making him a key pillar of the locker room going forward...when we have many younger players, more invested players, soon up for new contracts...would be sickening.  Would also be very Jets though, so I'm sure its coming.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

That's simply not true.  He has fufilled his oblgation based on his contract.  He's contract gave him a bonus tied to the first two years of his contract.  He earned it.  He's not playing or getting paid for his none guaranteed portion of his contract.  He's done zero wrong other than be a boob about negiotating a new deal for his services when the NFL negiotated a deal with the players union that gives ownership leverage.

Simply showing up to camp would have guaranteed year-3 of his deal.

The players association gets a crack at a new CBA every five years or so.  They choose which issues are the most important to them and which others can be negotiated away.  To walk away complaining after every such agreement which makes literally everyone involved into a millionaire is the height of hypocrisy.

If Reddick is fine with the fines then no, he has done nothing wrong.

All I am saying is this after several hurricanes one after another the flood insurance industry in Florida is going to change the price of flood insurance moving forward or decide leave the business entirely.  If Reddick understands that the cost for his negotiating strategy will be a change in the cost of his flood insurance TO HIM (if he can even get it) then that also is fine.  What is definitely off the table for him is business as usual.  The whole "someone will give him what he wants" idea

6 minutes ago, BleedsgreenNYJ said:

I'm fine with finding a way to get him in the door for this season.  It would (probably) benefit the team and help us win this year.

We shouldn't give him a deal for a minute longer than the remainder of this year though.  The thought of giving this guy...who has zero ties to our team, means nothing to the locker room, and has spent the last 3 months embarrassing the franchise...a multi year deal, and making him a key pillar of the locker room going forward...when we have many younger players, more invested players, soon up for new contracts...would be sickening.  Would also be very Jets though, so I'm sure its coming.

Yep. You know its coming with Woody doing Woody things 

15 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Outperforming your contract and want more money? Tough sh*t. Not living up to your contract, team cuts you.

Once again, show me on the doll where Reddick hurt you.

That is what signing bonuses are there for. To provide a GUARANTEE to the player.

BOTH sides take risks in multiyear deals.  Both sides.

Underperform your deal?  Sure I can cut you but that still means that I paid for one or more years worth of sh!tty play.

Get injured and cannot play?  Tough sh!t pay me.

It seems like you ONLY wants protections for one side.

Reddick did not hurt me.  As I have said this is not about him.  It is about preventing the Reddick contagion from spreading

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

That is what signing bonuses are there for. To provide a GUARANTEE to the player.

Underperform your deal?  Sure I can cut you but that still means that I paid for one or more years worth of sh!tty play.

Reddick did not hurt me.  As I have said this is not about him.  It is about preventing the Reddick contagion from spreading

You do realize that NFL football is a monopoly.  Players are drafted and slotted.  The owners share revenue and don't pay a dime more than their share.  The players only get their salary and bonus.  The owners get a guaranteed revenue and appreciation of their assett.

On 10/13/2024 at 9:54 AM, Raideraholic said:

No H Reddick not coming in to play the last six games . Yes he’s technical still property of the Jets next season.  It’s just like D Adams situation- he’s under contract but there is no way the Raiders are giving him that much for next two years.     H Reddick - 31 years old the Jets aren’t paying 14 million dollars to play for them when they probably are blowing it all up next season .   They will try to trade him, but most likely if they can’t trade him , - they will simply cut him.        Jets could be the Jets. Pay him that much he comes to camp and gets hurt misses the whole year.     H Reddick  is finished with the Jets , and not coming in this year.  The Jets gave him and out where he pay all his fines and he get paid.  It’s personal now , and if he ever plays football again it won’t be for the Jets.

Hey R Holic i told u that the raiders stink ,,  u were wrong.  now what?  ha ha ha

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This. Spite & teaching him a lesson doesn't help the team....

What if it isa neither of these things?  What if it is absolute terror at the prospect of what this type of negotiating strategy would mean for the rest of a roster and the rest of the league if it is seen to be successful in any way?

No I’m all for non guaranteed contracts. However I’m for players doing what they feel they need to do to get paid. They put in the CBA that he could sit out if he wanted to take on the fines. He did.

You said yourself that this is to try and curb guys outperforming their deals. Good luck with the NFLPA not going after a team trying to hurt a players chances and yes your feelings did get hurt. Most fans should be happy that a top 10 edge is returning to their team. You want to stick it to him. Embarrassing.

You do realize that NFL football is a monopoly.  Players are drafted and slotted.  The owners share revenue and don't pay a dime more than their share.  The players only get their salary and bonus.  The owners get a guaranteed revenue and appreciation of their assett.

Understood.  But it's up to the player and his representatives to get the best contract possible.  Reddick did this and got himself caught in a corner without any wiggle room.  I don't see how that's a Jets FO issue.