Memoir of a Delusional NY Jets Fan

Green and White Blues

In the heart of autumn, the leaves turn gold, But for Jets fans, the story’s old. We cheer with hope, our spirits high, Yet often leave with a heavy sigh.

The field is set, the players take their stance, We dream of victory, a winning chance. But as the game unfolds, our hopes may wane, Caught in the cycle of familiar pain.

Through rain and snow, we stand by their side, With every loss, our patience tried. Yet in our hearts, the fire still burns, For one sweet day, when fortune turns.

So here’s to the fans, steadfast and true, Who wear their green with pride anew. For in the end, it’s not just the score, But the love for the Jets that we adore.

3 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

No need to read...

We all already have a copy...

For real, his own feelings but yet can easily be plagiarism from million sources lol. Not sure about Mark sanchez as the hero though. A great OL, and amazing shut down D lead the way in 09/10. A HC who went right after the patriot kings instead of bowing down like most..

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

“Loyalty” when it comes to cheering on sports teams is a marketing gimmick. They sell a product, we consume it. If the product sucks, stop consuming. Would you be “loyal” to your brand of toothpaste if the next tube you bought was filled with rotting whale cum?

Only if it was approved by the American Dental Association and was the official tooth paste of the NFL. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

“Loyalty” when it comes to cheering on sports teams is a marketing gimmick. They sell a product, we consume it. If the product sucks, stop consuming. Would you be “loyal” to your brand of toothpaste if the next tube you bought was filled with rotting whale cum?

Woah, you can buy that where you live?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

Green and White Blues

In the heart of autumn, the leaves turn gold, But for Jets fans, the story’s old. We cheer with hope, our spirits high, Yet often leave with a heavy sigh.

The field is set, the players take their stance, We dream of victory, a winning chance. But as the game unfolds, our hopes may wane, Caught in the cycle of familiar pain.

Through rain and snow, we stand by their side, With every loss, our patience tried. Yet in our hearts, the fire still burns, For one sweet day, when fortune turns.

So here’s to the fans, steadfast and true, Who wear their green with pride anew. For in the end, it’s not just the score, But the love for the Jets that we adore.

Dude.. you have NO IDEA how we older fans have been bent over. NO winning from 1970 to 1979. 1980 to about 86 were good.. riddled with disappointing losses, from Mud Bowl, #99 hit on Kozar and many others.  Then onto 199o's... Bruce Coslett, DICK Kotite....  a GREAT 1998 followed by more heart break.   I used to joke in the 80's... just give me a SB before I die.   It was cute... funny. Now ..it aint so funny.

With Woody at the helm and his son destined to take over... you're fukked.  Get used to it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Dude.. you have NO IDEA how we older fans have been bent over. NO winning from 1970 to 1979. 1980 to about 86 were good.. riddled with disappointing losses, from Mud Bowl, #99 hit on Kozar and many others.  Then onto 199o's... Bruce Coslett, DICK Kotite....  a GREAT 1998 followed by more heart break.   I used to joke in the 80's... just give me a SB before I die.   It was cute... funny. Now ..it aint so funny.

With Woody at the helm and his son destined to take over... you're fukked.  Get used to it.

whenever I see a young guy in a jets jersey i tell them to take a good luck at me and change teams now why they are young.

You do not want to look like me when you get older but if you stay - guaranteed you will.

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I watched the Mud Bowl  in my college dorm..... 

AJ Dewey can blow me!!!!!

I was 12 and the only Jets fan in our house. My Dads ONLY attachment to a team was to the New York BASEBALL Giants, and when they left NY he stopped rooting for any team until he adopted the Dolphins when we moved to Florida in the 70's, My mom and lil brother... they were all Fish fans.  

Being a Jets fan has been a never-ending sports nightmare, but it just is what it is...

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

It sounds fancy but don't try it. I did and wound up with an extra arm growing out of my ass. 

At least the free medical helped, after the year on the wait list. 

And now you can scratch your ass very discretely. That sounds like a feature, not a bug.

• Haha 1

Keep believing because time passes on and I think it's actually rational to do so. Year to year sport. The only delusion is maybe thinking we get consistent beneficial referee treatment or a year of neutral. Benigno (Not about him, just the saying he has) has a line of "Change the coach, gm, players, etc" but one thing he does not mention.... Refs.

6 minutes ago, BradSmith16fan said:

Keep believing because time passes on and I think it's actually rational to do so. Year to year sport. The only delusion is maybe thinking we get consistent beneficial referee treatment or a year of neutral. Benigno (Not about him, just the saying he has) has a line of "Change the coach, gm, players, etc" but one thing he does not mention.... Refs.

There have been studies on this and there is no statistically-significant link between teams and ref treatment. The simpler explanation is that they are just generally bad.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

There have been studies on this and there is no statistically-significant link between teams and ref treatment. The simpler explanation is that they are just generally bad.

I've watched basically every jet game for years, and since Rex, 80 to 90 percent in my opinion of them have been at best neutral refereeing. For the statistical part, the refs can call penalties late in games when it's basically over to make the box score more even. Imo, happened plenty in the Pats dynasty years. Example, Sefarian Jenkins "fumble" out of endzone. I wish there was an unbiased research from an outside party to watch the games of every team and see if I'm in the ballpark, which I think I am. Key word is maybe. Understand my own biases as a passionate fan.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BradSmith16fan said:

I've watched basically every jet game for years, and since Rex, 80 to 90 percent in my opinion of them have been at best neutral refereeing. For the statistical part, the refs can call penalties late in games when it's basically over to make the box score more even. Imo, happened plenty in the Pats dynasty years. Example, Sefarian Jenkins "fumble" out of endzone. I wish there was an unbiased research from an outside party to watch the games of every team and see if I'm in the ballpark, which I think I am. Key word is maybe. Understand my own biases as a passionate fan.

Yeah that’s anecdotal. Not an insult, but as you acknowledge yourself, you view things as through your passion as a Jets fan. Totally human and understandable.

And there have been a lot of independent (not affiliated with the NFL) research on this. You state “unbiased research” well, it’s impossible for anyone to certify anything as completely free from any bias whatsoever. In 2021, the University of Iowa issued an analysis of this and found…. The Jets and Colts received the most preferential treatment (although not to a statistically-significant degree).

https://iro.uiowa.edu/esploro/outputs/undergraduate/NFL-Penalty-Analysis-Referee-Influence-and/9984112118002771/filesAndLinks?index=0

Its human nature that we remember the red lights we hit but not the green ones we sail though. Especially when the negative occurrence is one of the final proximate factors in the ultimate result.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah that’s anecdotal. Not an insult, but as you acknowledge yourself, you view things view your passion as a Jets fan. Totally human and understandable.

And there have been a lot of independent (not affiliated with the NFL) research on this. You state “unbiased research” well, it’s impossible for anyone to certify anything as completely free from any bias whatsoever. In 2021, the University of Iowa issued an analysis of this and found…. The Jets and Colts received the most preferential treatment (although not to a statistically-significant degree).

https://iro.uiowa.edu/esploro/outputs/undergraduate/NFL-Penalty-Analysis-Referee-Influence-and/9984112118002771/filesAndLinks?index=0

Its human nature that we remember the red lights we hit but not the green ones we sail though. Especially when the negative occurrence is one of the final proximate factors in the ultimate result.

Fair. Looking at the study, it did say I think 1999 to 2019. And in the 2000s, Jets were actually consistently decent. The Herm years they were some of the least penalized from what I remember. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Trotter said:

whenever I see a young guy in a jets jersey i tell them to take a good luck at me and change teams now why they are young.

You do not want to look like me when you get older but if you stay - guaranteed you will.

Someone once said on here, there's a certain amount of self-loathing involved with being a Jets fan.  I look at it like S & M, just minus the beautiful Dominatrix with the heavy Russian or German accent who is hitting you with a whip. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1