Oh, Ed... Fireman Ed accuses Jets of phasing him out: ‘Something was going on’

13 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I always wondered what the overall opinion of having one fan being anointed a super fan.  

He didn't descend from on high.  You are a cheerleader with a Fireman's helmet.  Relax Feancis.

I've never been a fan of the "super fan".  Potentially he could be less annoying if he just stuck to being a fan.  But once guys like this start getting acknowledged by the media (e.g. they do interviews with major media, appear in newspapers, have TV cameras focus on them at road games, etc ) and start to talk about how important they are (enough to whine about not getting enough attention) then they really start to become unbearable.  I've found Fireman Ed to be unbearable for years now.

He didn't descend from on high.  You are a cheerleader with a Fireman's helmet.  Relax Feancis.

EXACTLY! 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The J-E-T-S  Jets chant started in the 1970's. In the upper deck of Shea stadium two guys who brought cards with them spelled it out.  They were on opposite sides of the upper deck and everyone chanted it.

This 

16 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Wow Big Justice and AJ would be a nice upgrade!

Oh no.  We're replacing Fireman Ed with new people?  UGH!  How about we just stop putting specific fans on a pedestal instead?  And I actually like the J-E-T-S chant, btw.  It's unique to the Jets at least.

To me, sports in general needs more "unique to the team" type stuff.  Nowadays though, every team picks up the trends.  (e.g. dumping Gatorade on the HC after winning the SB.  In hockey, all the teams now do the post-game stick salute to the fans, etc).

3 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

He jumped the shark with doing three chants vs two.  Too many at once. He had plenty of screen time Monday.  Just looking for attention and that plan worked out great for him.  

Never understood that the Jets' own sound people don't understand the crowd should be quiet when the Jets have the ball. As others have noted, all the commercial timeouts make being at the game consist of a lot of standing around waiting for the TV guys to say you can re start the game. All those penalties; Bob Wischusen on radio Monday night said it was never-ending Geneva conventions of the refs after every call. That's not good for anyone.   It's not MLB levels of nothing happening but it's not fun either way.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I noticed this the other night. Didn’t do the JET chant after the kickoff score

kind of weird 

I was telling my brother the same thing at the game. But Fireman Ed wasn’t at the end zone like he is normally.  Also Jetman wasn’t at the game. 

24 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I was telling my brother the same thing at the game. But Fireman Ed wasn’t at the end zone like he is normally.  Also Jetman wasn’t at the game. 

yes he was. On tv. Is that OUR jetman67????? or another dude

56 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Never understood that the Jets' own sound people don't understand the crowd should be quiet when the Jets have the ball. As others have noted, all the commercial timeouts make being at the game consist of a lot of standing around waiting for the TV guys to say you can re start the game. All those penalties; Bob Wischusen on radio Monday night said it was never-ending Geneva conventions of the refs after every call. That's not good for anyone.   It's not MLB levels of nothing happening but it's not fun either way.

I went to a 76ers game a few years ago... they play music during live play. It was one of my most poignant "I must be getting old moments."

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

tbf, the Jets own fans don't understand this. I go to a couple games a year and every time I'm struck by how about half the crowd doesn't understand what they're supposed to be doing and when. It's just a bad experience all around

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

The J-E-T-S  Jets chant started in the 1970's. In the upper deck of Shea stadium two guys who brought cards with them spelled it out.  They were on opposite sides of the upper deck and everyone chanted it.

One of the guys, Larry Mack, lived in my neighborhood and he was of course, a fireman!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

never heard it in the 70s at Shea .. I guess it possible... All the games i went to from 85-92 ... It was never organized and lame. Then in the Sanchize era it became corporate fodder e Fireman Ed and is usually off cadence. It's not good Bob. Add to that that other NFL teams have copied it , bastardizing it into their own lame version ... It's outlived it usefulness ... I'd take Seattle or KC noise over it. Which brings me to last Monday night ... I was shocked how quiet the stadium was ... I thought there was something wrong with the sound on my TV .. you could hear a pin drop in that sad ass stadium.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

If you were at the games from 85-92 you would have seen Ed sitting on his brother's shoulders doing the chant every week.  There was a lot of enthusiasm for it then, unlike now.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

If you were at the games from 85-92 you would have seen Ed sitting on his brother's shoulders doing the chant every week.  There was a lot of enthusiasm for it then, unlike now.

Because it felt spontaneous and fresh.  Also being on the guys shoulders made it feel more dangerous  as a kid lol

sprinkle a little “Joe must go” chant……perfection

IMG_9626.gif

• Upvote 1