Early Power Rankings...Peter Prisco CBS Sportsline

NIGHT STALKER

We know there will be at least one. It happens every year, the team that comes from nowhere to make the playoffs or win a division, driving the preseason prognosticators mad.

Look at any preseason power rankings from last summer, and you can bet the Bears were down near the middle. Win a division? Please.

Somewhere out there is a team lurking near the middle that come December will be in the playoff mix.

Speculating in May is a dangerous thing, particularly when training camp is two months away and the preseason can be a minefield of injuries. But with this new batch of CBS SportsLine.com Power Rankings, the third since the end of last season, it's time to start looking for that team.

So who are some of the candidates? Here are three: the Ravens, Cardinals and Rams.

The Ravens are a candidate only if they end up with Steve McNair, which looks likely. McNair would give the Ravens a legitimate quarterback for the first time in the Brian Billick era. The Super Bowl-winning team he coached had Trent Dilfer at quarterback. He wasn't in McNair's class.

Getting McNair would finally allow us to answer the question as to what Billick would be like if he had a quarterback. Remember, he was once considered an offensive guru. Without a quarterback, that reputation has gone the way of Whitney Houston: Straight down the toilet. That rep needs rehab. McNair could be that help.

The Rams have back the bulk of their offense and new coach Scott Linehan is an offensive wizard in the Mike Martz mold. He will make Steven Jackson the NFL rushing leader this year. You wait and see. If defensive coordinator Jim Haslett can turn the defense around, the Rams could be that team.

For now, the choice is the Cardinals.

Yes, they were my pick to win the NFC West last year. But as coach Dennis Green said a month ago, injuries crippled that team. The offensive line was a mess all year and the Cardinals could not run the football.

Green believes this year's team is that much better, and he said it even before they acquired Edgerrin James and had a good draft.

The Cardinals led the league in passing last year, even without a running game. Here's something that means even more: The Cardinals were the only team in the league to finish ranked in the top 10 in both offense and defense.

The addition of James in free agency, coupled with that good draft and a bunch of rising young players, makes Arizona the early pick to be the surprise team.

That's why the Cardinals have made a move up our Power Rankings. They are now in the 13th spot, and the feeling here is they might be higher when the pre-training camp rankings come out in July.

Defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast has a nice talent base to work with and he did a heck of a job with an injury-plagued group last season. On offense, the offensive line will be better with the addition of guard Deuce Lutui, a power player James will come to love.

It doesn't help the Cardinals' chances of being the surprise team by playing in the same division with the Rams and the defending NFC-champion Seattle Seahawks. But Seattle could have a Super hangover and the Cardinals have better players than the Rams. Plus, they're younger.

So the pick for this year's come-from-the-dumps team is the Cardinals. They were a trendy pick a year ago, and getting James will make them one again in some circles. But this choice is about much more than getting James. This team has talent, talent that is overlooked because of all the years of misery and all those empty seats in the desert.

Of course, if the injury bug bites again all bets are off.

I have to have some out, don't I?

The rankings for May 16:

POWER RANKINGS

Current Team Previous

1 Pittsburgh Steelers 1

Does this team have any holes? And please don't say anything about the loss of Jerome Bettis. He won't be missed. What's even more amazing is Ben Roethlisberger is still getting better. They are the team to beat.

2 Indianapolis Colts 2

Will they miss James? Not with Joseph Addai on board. This kid is explosive, something James was not. The offensive line remains a concern.

3 New England Patriots 3

Oh no. The Patriots have lost a ton of players and haven't added that many. That was the cry in March. In April, they had a great draft. Don't worry about this team. They'll be there again.

4 Carolina Panthers 4

They did well in free agency and then followed that up with a heck of a draft class. This is the team to beat in the NFC. The Panthers are loaded.

5 Jacksonville Jaguars 6

Losing Jimmy Smith to retirement hurts, but there is a lot of young talent at receiver that just needs to step up. The addition of tight end Marcedes Lewis will really help the passing game.

6 Miami Dolphins 5

Getting Jason Allen in the draft will help the secondary, but they lost Ricky Williams for the year and there is still some uncertainty about Daunte Culpepper. If he misses a month, they certainly won't be this high.

7 Denver Broncos 7

Adding Javon Walker -- if he's back to his pre-ACL injury form -- is something this team needed to help stretch the field. But what does the drafting of Jay Cutler say about Jake Plummer?

8 Seattle Seahawks 8

They've made some nice additions on defense and the draft brought a solid cover corner in Kelly Jennings to replace Andre Dyson. But losing Steve Hutchinson is not something they can get over easily.

9 New York Giants 9

Getting LaVar Arrington will help the defense, and taking Sinorice Moss in the second round will help the offense. The offensive line and the secondary have to play better for this team to improve.

10 Dallas Cowboys 10

Getting Bobby Carpenter in the first round of the draft gives the Cowboys two good edge rushers in their 3-4. The offensive line is still a concern, though.

11 Philadelphia Eagles 11

They had a heck of a draft, which will help right away on both lines. There still is a question mark about the receivers. Who is the go-to guy? Donovan McNabb appears focused.

12 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12

Improving the offensive line was priority No. 1 for this team and they've added some players to make it more competitive, including first-round pick Davin Joseph. That will pay dividends.

13 Arizona Cardinals 21

There is some talk that Green will leave after this season. That makes this a huge year for him and this team. There might be a playoff game in that new stadium next January.

14 Washington Redskins 14

The draft didn't help much, so they better hope their free-agent signings do the trick. They

I never pay attenton to these rankings to get upset- Miami is ranked way too high

Notice they only have the fins coming down 1 position from their previous ranking with the loss of Williams...the guy meant more to them then I think they realize.

As for us, I'm not saying we're going to be world beaters, but I think we're going to surprise some people...the schedule helps us too.

TX, just curious, why don't you ever troll any Dolphin or Bills message boards?

Haven't you seen some of the sh!t TX posts on those boards, f'ing hilarious. Someone had a link a ways back to the fins site when tx got banned, funny stuff.

Because they are not as delusional as Jet fans.

It's more fun to bring you guys back to reality.;)

remember last year where you got called out on JI for posting week 1 at a Bengals board (the Jets week 1 opponent) and week 2 at a San Diego board (the Jets week 2 opponent)?

haha that thread was classic

reminds me of when JI was fun...and free

remember last year where you got called out on JI for posting week 1 at a Bengals board (the Jets week 1 opponent) and week 2 at a San Diego board (the Jets week 2 opponent)?

haha that thread was classic

reminds me of when JI was fun...and free

Actually, that was 2 years ago.

Because they are not as delusional as Jet fans.

It's more fun to bring you guys back to reality.;)

If you don't understand that Dolphins fans are more delusional than Branch Davidians, you're not living anywhere near reality.

If you don't understand that Dolphins fans are more delusional than Branch Davidians, you're not living anywhere near reality.

All the Phin fans do is live off that undefeated season.

How the hell can they have one of the greatest QB's of all-time and never win a Super Bowl?:eek:

I am convinced there are actually two TXs. One is an intelligent insightful poster, and the other is a troll. You never know which one is going to show up, but when you average the two together TX is actually a surprisingly competent poster.

I am convinced there are actually two TXs. One is an intelligent insightful poster, and the other is a troll. You never know which one is going to show up, but when you average the two together TX is actually a surprisingly competent poster.

Tex is actually one of the least Homer's on the Board! He'll kill the Pats if they make a move he doesn't like! He wasn't overjoyed on Draft day!:eek:

I hate the Patroits. I can't stand them or their fans. I hate the owner and the coach. I hate even thinking about them. That being said, I hope every last one of their players and anyone else associated with them while playing for that organization never wins another title the rest of their lives. I don't care how insightful tx is or any other one of their fans that post on this website. Am I bitter? Darn right I'm bitter. Bellicheck should have been our coach and we should have won three superbowls. But since he left good ridance. I never want to see him associated with the Jets again. I don't care if you call me a crybaby or any other name I stand firm on what I say. I hate the Patroits:Nuts:

I hate the Patroits. I can't stand them or their fans. I hate the owner and the coach. I hate even thinking about them. That being said, I hope every last one of their players and anyone else associated with them while playing for that organization never wins another title the rest of their lives. I don't care how insightful tx is or any other one of their fans that post on this website. Am I bitter? Darn right I'm bitter. Bellicheck should have been our coach and we should have won three superbowls. But since he left good ridance. I never want to see him associated with the Jets again. I don't care if you call me a crybaby or any other name I stand firm on what I say. I hate the Patroits:Nuts:

Sounds like an inferiority complex to me.

Not at all, your team just got lucky finding the right coach and the right mix of players and switching to different schemes. Happens all the time in the NFL. 43 and 34 def, shotgun and westcoast off. any time someone changes it takes time for other teams to adjust. The Patroits won't be winning any superbowls anytime soon. And Bellicheck will be gone in 5 years. There is alot of luck that goes with alot of skill to be so succesful in any sports. But like I said, I hate the Patroits.

Not at all, your team just got lucky finding the right coach and the right mix of players and switching to different schemes. Happens all the time in the NFL. 43 and 34 def, shotgun and westcoast off. any time someone changes it takes time for other teams to adjust. The Patroits won't be winning any superbowls anytime soon. And Bellicheck will be gone in 5 years. There is alot of luck that goes with alot of skill to be so succesful in any sports. But like I said, I hate the Patroits.

Yep, it was all luck that the Pats won 3 out of 4 Super Bowls.

All just luck.

read they whole statement. Don't just pick out sentences to support your argument. What are you a democrat. I said that you were lucky and you changed schemes. It is pointless to argue with a retard. You have your opinion and I have mine. Go post on your own teams website.

read they whole statement. Don't just pick out sentences to support your argument. What are you a democrat. I said that you were lucky and you changed schemes. It is pointless to argue with a retard. You have your opinion and I have mine. Go post on your own teams website.

Yea, and your opinion sucks about just as bad as your team does.

POWER RANKINGS

31 New York Jets 31

New coach Eric Mangini has his hands full here. They had a good draft, but who plays quarterback? It's a two-year rebuild for this team.

Well, we got no place to go but "UP". It seems we play better as "underdogs" anyway. Every win will be like a playoff win this year, & every team we beat will be going back to the "drawing board" & evaluate their team.

It should be an interestng year!!!

Once again, why are you here then? Our wonderful team site must be better then yours. The great thing about opinions in this country doesn't matter how bad they suck, we all are allowed them. And as far as my team goes. I agree they did suck last year, and they might suck this year. But I will stand by them, which is probably more then you will ever do.

Once again, why are you here then? Our wonderful team site must be better then yours. The great thing about opinions in this country doesn't matter how bad they suck, we all are allowed them. And as far as my team goes. I agree they did suck last year, and they might suck this year. But I will stand by them, which is probably more then you will ever do.

Dude, I have been a Pats fan since the time you were just a sperm cell in your father's scrotum.

Archived