Funny!

The Fat Man

JETS (4-12): Mike Tannenbaum mismanaged the Jets' cap and got promoted to GM. Makes sense to me.

Funny,you make no mention of the fact that Tannenbaum easily managed to get us under the cap this season.

Funny,you make no mention of the fact that Tannenbaum easily managed to get us under the cap this season.

Let me clarify one thing. I am all for giving Tannenbaum a shot. Will he be good? Who knows but it is worth a shot. I don't blame him for the cap mess either. It wasn't like he went out and signed Curtis\Chrebet etc without the blessing of Bradway and company. Bradway was in charge. It all falls on him.

But...getting under the cap this past offseason wasn't that big of a deal. There were multiple right answers. Just of a matter of deciding which one of Bradway's picks needed to hit the road! Not the toughest job in the world!

Let me clarify one thing. I am all for giving Tannenbaum a shot. Will he be good? Who knows but it is worth a shot. I don't blame him for the cap mess either. It wasn't like he went out and signed Curtis\Chrebet etc without the blessing of Bradway and company. Bradway was in charge. It all falls on him.

But...getting under the cap this past offseason wasn't that big of a deal. There were multiple right answers. Just of a matter of deciding which one of Bradway's picks needed to hit the road! Not the toughest job in the world!

Thats why i said "easily managed to get us under the cap this season";)

Thats why i said "easily managed to get us under the cap this season";)

LOL...once Mangini and co decided they didn't want Abe back I do think it was pretty easy. Sure there were a few tough decisions (cutting Mawae) but there were some no brainers in there as well.

LOL...once Mangini and co decided they didn't want Abe back I do think it was pretty easy. Sure there were a few tough decisions (cutting Mawae) but there were some no brainers in there as well.

mawae had to go when we were officially in rebuilding mode

I agree,the cap figure was inflated with Abe's tag and Ty Law's 10 million bonus,he was never going to get that.But it is funny to see someone complain about our cap situation in the past when it's easily been resolved by the person who "apparently" got us into that situation.

I agree,the cap figure was inflated with Abe's tag and Ty Law's 10 million bonus,he was never going to get that.But it is funny to see someone complain about our cap situation in the past when it's easily been resolved by the person who "apparently" got us into that situation.

Teams that have given up and are rebuilding get under the cap by cutting good players and not being able to sign their own free agents.

Last two years:

John Abraham replaced by Kimo VonOelhoffen

Kevin Mawae replaced by Nick Mangold

Ty Law replaced by Andre Dyson

Kareem McKenzie replaced by Adrian Young

Lamont Jordan Replaced by Cedric Houston

Jason Ferguson replaced by Sione Pouha.

Jason Fabini replaced by D'Brickasha Ferguson

Anthony Becht replaced by Doug Jolley

Santana Moss replaced by Laverneous Coles

Jay Fiedler replaced by Patrick Ramsey

It's the same way the Titans and the 49'ers got under the cap, shed Pro Bowl players (Mawae, Abraham, Law, Moss) and go young, cheap and hopeful.

Agreed, the cap # was inflated especially because of Law.

DE in a 3-4 defense is not the same position as DE in a 4-3 defense. Abraham is a 4-3 DE who's weak against the run, who also got a $50M contract. We're switching to a 3-4 base defense & he doesn't fit in it. VonOelhoffen fits & should be a good run-stopper at DE for a couple more years at a much more manageable cap number.

SJ put it best: by the time the Jets are true contenders, Mawae's contract will be over anyway & we'd be searching for his replacement. Or should we have re-signed Mawae at 36 years old to another extension? Please. Get the replacement now & get him some playing time now. Plus Mawae, for as good as he was in his prime, can't keep his trap shut to reporters & in the locker room. He is a distraction more than a leader & a new HC doesn't need that. A no-brainer.

So we should've kept law & paid him a bigger bonus ($11M) and salary in excess of his $10M demand that no one else will pay? Dyson doesn't have Law's talent, but we got him for half of Law's demands & less than half of Law's SB demands. Within 2 years maximum, Law won't be playing CB anymore.

If you mean Adrian Jones, again it comes down to money. No one gives a good-but-not-great RT a $35M contract. That's LT money. RT's are much easier to come by, and for much cheaper.

Well since we offered Jordan the same contract that Oakland did, Jordan must have had a good reason for leaving. He did: the head coach wouldn't play him & lied to him for years.

Pouha has shown us absolutely nothing so far. He looks like a bust. Ferguson would've also cost $10M in signing bonus alone to keep. He was good but not that good at his age. With us, he also had somewhat of a history of playing well in contract years & sucking after getting paid.

You have a problem with this? Exactly how many teams want Jason Fabini starting on their team? Answer = none.

Eh. Becht can block but can't catch. Jolley can catch but can't block. Both stink. Jolley's dirt cheap & he's cuttable at any time with no cap hit.

Why do I think that if we turned down Washington's offer, kept Moss, and watched him rack up 750 yards for the Jets, that you'd be complaining still? You must really think Coles is the worst WR in the league. I mean, you weren't at all unhappy when we replaced Coles with Curtis Conway a couple of years before either:

As Francecsa said on his show recently, 'I'll guarantee you Conway will have more TD's than Coles".

Sat, May 17 2003 9:07 pm

You wanted us to pay Jay Fiedler's $3M bonus? Or perhaps you wanted TWO quarterbacks coming off the IR in 2005 on the roster. It's not like Fiedler was ever that great on the field or as a prospect to begin with.

DE in a 3-4 defense is not the same position as DE in a 4-3 defense. Abraham is a 4-3 DE who's weak against the run, who also got a $50M contract. We're switching to a 3-4 base defense & he doesn't fit in it. VonOelhoffen fits & should be a good run-stopper at DE for a couple more years at a much more manageable cap number.

SJ put it best: by the time the Jets are true contenders, Mawae's contract will be over anyway & we'd be searching for his replacement. Or should we have re-signed Mawae at 36 years old to another extension? Please. Get the replacement now & get him some playing time now. Plus Mawae, for as good as he was in his prime, can't keep his trap shut to reporters & in the locker room. He is a distraction more than a leader & a new HC doesn't need that. A no-brainer.

So we should've kept law & paid him a bigger bonus ($11M) and salary in excess of his $10M demand that no one else will pay? Dyson doesn't have Law's talent, but we got him for half of Law's demands & less than half of Law's SB demands. Within 2 years maximum, Law won't be playing CB anymore.

If you mean Adrian Jones, again it comes down to money. No one gives a good-but-not-great RT a $35M contract. That's LT money. RT's are much easier to come by, and for much cheaper.

Well since we offered Jordan the same contract that Oakland did, Jordan must have had a good reason for leaving. He did: the head coach wouldn't play him & lied to him for years.

Pouha has shown us absolutely nothing so far. He looks like a bust. Ferguson would've also cost $10M in signing bonus alone to keep. He was good but not that good at his age. With us, he also had somewhat of a history of playing well in contract years & sucking after getting paid.

You have a problem with this? Exactly how many teams want Jason Fabini starting on their team? Answer = none.

Eh. Becht can block but can't catch. Jolley can catch but can't block. Both stink. Jolley's dirt cheap & he's cuttable at any time with no cap hit.

Why do I think that if we turned down Washington's offer, kept Moss, and watched him rack up 750 yards for the Jets, that you'd be complaining still? You must really think Coles is the worst WR in the league. I mean, you weren't at all unhappy when we replaced Coles with Curtis Conway a couple of years before either:

You wanted us to pay Jay Fiedler's $3M bonus? Or perhaps you wanted TWO quarterbacks coming off the IR in 2005 on the roster. It's not like Fiedler was ever that great on the field or as a prospect to begin with.

School's in session, first class is Owning 101.

Mike Tanenbaum is a salary capologist. He is not a good evaluator of player personnel talent and he did not make a good decision with hiring his buddy Mangini.

There is this perception going around that just because he and Mangini were hired at such a young age they must be brilliant whiz kids a la Jon Gruden. Have you looked at who did the hiring? The Jets are an inept organization with an owner who cares more about wasting taxpayer money on building silly stadiums than winning a championship. Woody Johnson has a laissez faire attitude about the team itself and that's why you had the Herm Edwards fiasco. If Herm didn't want to leave he would still be the coach today.

As crazy as Al Davis is, at least the guy has won it all in the past and still wants to win. Woody Johnson and the Jets front office care more about milking the fans and the taxpayers then they do about winning a Super Bowl. Woody Johnson is Jim Dolan lite.

Tanenbaum was hired as the GM more because the Jets had no other options. Who else was coming aboard? Ron Wolf? Yeah right. The guy the Bills had just fired? Please. Tanenbaum was not hired because of his football savvy, he was the only guy they could get that would look good to the media if they demoted Bradway. Plus, Tanenbaum and Mangini were willing to work for peanuts which you bet made a big difference to Woody Johnson. $$$

Teams that have given up and are rebuilding get under the cap by cutting good players and not being able to sign their own free agents.

Last two years:

It's the same way the Titans and the 49'ers got under the cap, shed Pro Bowl players (Mawae, Abraham, Law, Moss) and go young, cheap and hopeful.

Shed Pro Bowl players???

Mawae, how many years does he have left. Plus clubhouse problems

Abraham, played the full season nothing impressive.

Law, You would give him 10 million??

Moss, Oh yeah pro bowl player before 2005? YOu knew that would happen?

I don't know who makes dumber remarks on here you or Tex.

School's in session, first class is Owning 101.

Why is this being owned? Just because they were moves that had to be made doesn't mean they weren't shedding money the easy way. It doesn't take a genius to figure that Mangold and D'Brick will be cheaper than Mawae and Fabini. Keep Ty Law? They signed him to a contract that everybody in their right mind meant he would only be here one season. As far as I know, the extra years were only to pro-rate the bonus. Plus, part of his "easily getting us under the cap" was the cap being raised. That was an impressive piece of work right there.

PS: Jolly for Becht was a brilliant strategic move. Oh and it cost us a pick.

Shed Pro Bowl players???

Mawae, how many years does he have left. Plus clubhouse problems

Abraham, played the full season nothing impressive.

Law, You would give him 10 million??

Moss, Oh yeah pro bowl player before 2005? YOu knew that would happen?

I don't know who makes dumber remarks on here you or Tex.

Senior, this would obviously be jensen's plan:

John Abraham: 6 Years/$45M contract with $18M bonus = $7.5M/yr

Jason Ferguson: 5 years/$21.5M contract with $8.1M bonus = $4.3M/yr

Kareem McKenzie: 7 years/$37.5M contract with $12.5M bonus = $5.4M/yr

Ty Law: $11M bonus. Don

Senior, this would obviously be jensen's plan:

John Abraham: 6 Years/$45M contract with $18M bonus = $7.5M/yr

Jason Ferguson: 5 years/$21.5M contract with $8.1M bonus = $4.3M/yr

Kareem McKenzie: 7 years/$37.5M contract with $12.5M bonus = $5.4M/yr

Ty Law: $11M bonus. Don

Somebody just got used and abused! And his name rhymes with nasensen.

why is it now that whenever I see a post by jensen I don't even bother to read it-that hasn't happened a lot to me on the boards since I started frequenting Jets boards probably 8 years ago now

Between PeterNorth09, rajensen, and The Fat Man I don't think even one reasonable post has surfaced since the day Herm bolted and left us a sh*tstorm.

The most unfathomable thing about it is they won't even give Mangini and Tannenbaum a chance right out of the gate. I absolutely despise Herm Edwards, but at least I had the common sense to give him at least 3 years before finally saying enough is enough. I have apprehensions about our team leadership as well, but at least I have the common sense to ghive them a chance to relieve those apprehensions. What's really scary is between the 3 of those guys if they had their way, we'd still have Herm as a coach, Mawae at center, Fabini at LT, McKenzie at RT, Becht at TE, Ferguson at DT, Ty Law at CB, Jordan at RB still getting no carries, Abraham getting 50 mil to miss 8 games a year, all on top of Chad Pennington's contract. Then they would have us draft Leinart, Lendale White, and Chad Jackson so we could sign them with the 35 mil so we'd have left in cap space. Then we'd have to pay the other 40 players less than the league minimum just to stay under the cap. Perhaps we could have went with a 48 man roster and had a couple greats like Abraham play iron man football. In fact, maybe the great and mighty Abe could play QBV because the OL that Pennington and Leinert would bve playing behind would likely have them killed by game 3.

Between PeterNorth09, rajensen, and The Fat Man I don't think even one reasonable post has surfaced since the day Herm bolted and left us a sh*tstorm.

The most unfathomable thing about it is they won't even give Mangini and Tannenbaum a chance right out of the gate. I absolutely despise Herm Edwards, but at least I had the common sense to give him at least 3 years before finally saying enough is enough..

correct,, they are 3 angry guys,, I even have a snapshot of them at the Press conference where Herm was effectively fired:

file-753332.jpg

The most unfathomable thing about it is they won't even give Mangini and Tannenbaum a chance right out of the gate. I absolutely despise Herm Edwards, but at least I had the common sense to give him at least 3 years before finally saying enough is enough. I have apprehensions about our team leadership as well, but at least I have the common sense to ghive them a chance to relieve those apprehensions. What's really scary is between the 3 of those guys if they had their way, we'd still have Herm as a coach, Mawae at center, Fabini at LT, McKenzie at RT, Becht at TE, Ferguson at DT, Ty Law at CB, Jordan at RB still getting no carries, Abraham getting 50 mil to miss 8 games a year, all on top of Chad Pennington's contract. Then they would have us draft Leinart, Lendale White, and Chad Jackson so we could sign them with the 35 mil so we'd have left in cap space. Then we'd have to pay the other 40 players less than the league minimum just to stay under the cap. Perhaps we could have went with a 48 man roster and had a couple greats like Abraham play iron man football. In fact, maybe the great and mighty Abe could play QBV because the OL that Pennington and Leinert would bve playing behind would likely have them killed by game 3.

Well he's taken the exact opposite approach in the past right here:

"Are you going to continue your [Jets HC] hating all spring right into training camp or will you just shut up and root for the Jets. He's not going anywhere."

- Rajensen088. Mon, Dec 15 2003 6:58 pm

POTW NOM

This is what always happens when they post. They show up and say something stupid and then get their faces owned off like sperm did to rajensen 3 times this thread. Then they aren't heard from again until they come back a week or so later and say the same thing or something even more dumb.

This is what always happens when they post. They show up and say something stupid and then get their faces owned off like sperm did to rajensen 3 times this thread. Then they aren't heard from again until they come back a week or so later and say the same thing or something even more dumb.

glad to see you come up for air from the arcade once in awhile :cheers:

I don't know if it qualifies for that, but one can learn an awful lot about Football from Spermy. He is one of my favorite posters around here, always has good stuff, and backs his opinions solidly.

I second that. I'm just a fan as a lot of us are on the board. I don't

have the desire or the inclination to delve too deep into every situation

so I appreciate the work that Spermy and a few other give to this

board.

That's why I can't understand why we let.... never mind.

I am so happy to have the nickname SPERMY and have people call me that in a complimentary fashion. Father would be very proud.

Somehow I don't think your father is too crazy about you calling yourself Sperm. As a father I even have a problem calling you that so I use

the more complimentary term LOL.

(If you mean Adrian Jones, again it comes down to money. No one gives a good-but-not-great RT a $35M contract. That's LT money. RT's are much easier to come by, and for much cheaper. )

Not so fast. When the running game is your bread and butter for so many years you better take care of your Right Tackle unless you have a suitable replacement. Even if it means overpaying him a little. Adrian Jones is better at the LT position and Anthony Clement sucks.

Another silly move.

(Eh. Becht can block but can't catch. Jolley can catch but can't block. Both stink. Jolley's dirt cheap & he's cuttable at any time with no cap hit.)

How can anyone rationalize Doug Jolley still being a Jet? The guy is awful and I'm putting that nicely. One of the worst NFL players I have ever seen and we gave up a lot to get him. Ugh is more like it.

Can't blame Bradway or Tanenbaum for that. Coles is still decent. You can however blame the Jets for not making an attempt to try to get guys who can make a play every once in a while.

Jey Fiedler was replaced by his clone Kellen Clemens.

Petey Porno-

I don't know, but certainly hope, Clemens is a solid pro QB. If you can for a moment, be fair, you would have to admit that Clemens had a much better college career at Oregon than Fiedler ever had at Dartmouth. In fact, objectively there's almost no comparison between a 2nd rounder who was in the Heismann race in the PAC10 until he broke his ankle and a free agent from Dartmouth in the Ivy League. Off the top of my head, PAC10 QBs-Elway, Aikman, Leinart, Plummer, Moon, Palmer, Clemens, Bledsoe. Ivy-Jeff Kemp, Marty Domres, Fiedler and...get the picture?

Fiedler has a lot to be proud of given where he's come from. But Clemens' pedigree and all the scouting on him as per Ron Jaworski and others seems to indicate a career much better than Fiedler's.

One more thing the terrible trio seems to forget-the cap. Sperm's got you on the numbers; you cannot just resign everyone. Who are the guys you would have cut? Until you tell us that, you just full of hot air and bodily fluids.

Archived