Royals 5 Red Sox 4

madmike1

I think that every Sox fan knew that he couldn't keep up that torrid pace all year long.

Unfortunately, it's coming against the dregs of MLB, games that the Sox need to be winning. Hopefully, when we get into games against good teams he'll snap out of it.

He seems to have the makeup to make it through this rough stretch.

I think that every Sox fan knew that he couldn't keep up that torrid pace all year long.

Unfortunately, it's coming against the dregs of MLB, games that the Sox need to be winning. Hopefully, when we get into games against good teams he'll snap out of it.

You think he misses Jason V. ?

Which has been there downfall over the past few seasons. First, it was the Orioles and this season it has been the Jays (no disrespect top them - they are good). Every year it seems the Spx hold their own against the top teams and a team or two that sucks takes an inordinate amount of games from them.

CTJF

I think there is some validity to that. Not just Papelbon.

While it's nice to see KC taking a series from the Sox, I'm not going to get all that excited by it. The Yanks and Sox always play one another tough over the past several years and based on the fact that they're head to head nine times in the coming weeks I'm going to say that this race is far from over.

I think Papelbon is now up to 5 blown saves for 2006. This after not having any for about 2 months into the season. He still is super, but the aura of invincibility is wearing off.

The bigger issue, IMO, is the overall relief pitching. It just does not seem to be very good. The Yankee pen, even with teh Farnsworth performance last night, has been superior to teh Bosox pen since the all-star break. This is a major reason for the reversal in fortunes.

The loss of Varitek is enormous. Do not kid yourselves. He is a leader on that team, and a very solid Catcher. Lopez can hit a bit, but is past his productive seasons. And he can't hold a candle to Varitek defensively or in a game-calling mode. Remember the years when Maddox refused to pitch with him behind the plate?

I think Papelbon is now up to 5 blown saves for 2006. This after not having any for about 2 months into the season. He still is super, but the aura of invincibility is wearing off.

The bigger issue, IMO, is the overall relief pitching. It just does not seem to be very good. The Yankee pen, even with teh Farnsworth performance last night, has been superior to teh Bosox pen since the all-star break. This is a major reason for the reversal in fortunes.

The loss of Varitek is enormous. Do not kid yourselves. He is a leader on that team, and a very solid Catcher. Lopez can hit a bit, but is past his productive seasons. And he can't hold a candle to Varitek defensively or in a game-calling mode. Remember the years when Maddox refused to pitch with him behind the plate?

That was a Big Papi post. Right on and taken deep. Ok, that does not look as good as it did in my head.

The bullpen has been eratic outside of Timlin and Papelbon. While it would have been nice for Papelbon to maintain his sub .50 ERA, chances are, outside of Mo, any other releiver is going to have normalcy catch-up. I think even Timlin has seen his ERA rise over the past few months.

The FO struck-out this offseason in acquiring bullpen help. Riske I think is already gone. Tavarez has flat out blown. Saenz has been ok.

I think the loss of Tek doubly impacts the team. Too many pitchers rave about he how he handles their pitch calling. Shoot, he made Matt Clemens look like a Cy Young candidate before a ball beaned him.

And we have Fat Wells going tonight. 6 game losing streak anyone? Oy!

All teams go through bad stretches. If people thought the Sox were going to play all year like they did during the winning streak then they are nuts.

5 Games in Fenway next week. It could tell alot about the rest of the way.

We could have a Yankee runaway or we could have a knock down, drag out battle till early October.

I'm leaning towards the latter. Still alot of baseball to be played.

5 Games in Fenway next week. It could tell alot about the rest of the way.

We could have a Yankee runaway or we could have a knock down, drag out battle till early October.

Well it will be a litmus test for the Sox. From Big Papi to the starting pitching to the bullpen, they all need to deliver to see if this team is for real.

My guess is they are pretenders. They might be able to squeak out the wildcard, but have the makings for a one and done if they make the playoffs.

Well it will be a litmus test for the Sox. From Big Papi to the starting pitching to the bullpen, they all need to deliver to see if this team is for real.

My guess is they are pretenders. They might be able to squeak out the wildcard, but have the makings for a one and done if they make the playoffs.

Wow PFSIKH, don't be so quick to bury your team...Labor Day has always been my gauge to determine how my team stacks up against rivals...who knows, you guys may be 3 up on my Yanks by then.;)

While it's nice to see KC taking a series from the Sox, I'm not going to get all that excited by it. The Yanks and Sox always play one another tough over the past several years and based on the fact that they're head to head nine times in the coming weeks I'm going to say that this race is far from over.

KC didn't "take" a series from the Sox, they swept their asses. Hahaha

Wow PFSIKH, don't be so quick to bury your team...Labor Day has always been my gauge to determine how my team stacks up against rivals...who knows, you guys may be 3 up on my Yanks by then.;)

Not burying team.

Just looking at it realistically.

The Red Sox are in decent shape, but they do not have the look and feel of a serious contender. I am pretty sure they will win 90+ games this year and contened for a WC or maybe even the division.

However unlike 2004, they have too many questions surrounding the team to be considered serious contenders. Can they get anything out of the bullpen before Timlin's arm falls off? Can Papelbon keep his level of play up? Will Tek be truly healthy? After Schilling and the erratic Becket, can anything be expected out of oft-injured Wells, injured Wakefield, injured Clement, rookie Lester?

Unless the Sox are like the 2000(?) Yanks that tanked that last three weeks of the season and then turned it on in the playoffs, I do not expect much. Outside of dominating the NL, their play has been inconsistent in the AL.

Archived