Tiki Barber is ticked off

faba

Barber

Tiki Barber blasted critics of his retirement decision on his Tuesday night Sirius Satellite Radio show, "The Barber Shop."

"...I will call them idiots, because they have neither spoken to me, nor any one of my teammates or any of my coaches," Barber said. "Yet all they do is criticize me for being a distraction with this retirement thing."

Barber was specifically upset at three of his critics: the New York Daily News' Gary Myers, who wrote that Barber had "created a season-long distraction" the Giants "don't need"; and ESPN's Tom Jackson, who said the decision "has distracted the team from the task at hand," and Michael Irvin.

"To me, in my head, that's quitting," Irvin said before the Giants' 36-22 win over the Dallas Cowboys on Monday night. "That's not retiring."

Barber singled the three out during his radio show Tuesday night.

"And that includes Gary Myers," he said. "That includes Tom Jackson on ESPN. That includes the ultimate character guy, facetiously speaking of course, Michael Irvin. Please get a clue on how to be a journalist.

"Don't make blanket assumptions about it [retirement]. And obviously, as was evidenced [Monday] night, I am a huge distraction to the New York Giants," he said.

The remarks come a week after it was first learned Barber was considering retiring after this season.

"I've been talking about retirement for years now, and it has nothing to do with being physical or money or Hall of Fame," Barber said at the time. "It's all about my desires, and for me to change them would compromise my integrity and would compromise who I am as a person and what I've always stood for."

Asked whether there was added pressure to win this year because of his plans, Barber said: "The pressure's always there, it's no different just because you guys know that I'm going to retire this year.

"I'm a diverse person," Barber said. "I have a lot of interests, and at some point it's time to execute a plan that's been in place for me for about seven and a half, eight years."

Still, Barber wouldn't commit to saying his retirement was 100 percent certain.

"It's Week 6 of the NFL season, so I won't say that," he said at the time.

However, he also said there was "nothing" that would change his mind.

Now in his 10th season, the 31-year-old Barber said that he has been banged up more this season than in any previous one and that his passion for the game has waned.

Barber, who has spoken about retiring a couple times in the past year, has a myriad interests off the field. He has worked in television and has discussed possible jobs in finance and philanthropy.

"I have a lot of interests and I've never wanted to be solely defined as a football player," said Barber, who will earn $4.15 million this season. "I wasn't that way in high school, I wasn't that way in college and I won't compromise my ideals to be that way in the National Football League."

Longtime teammate Amani Toomer believes Barber is serious about quitting after this season.

"Knowing Tiki, he is not the type of guy to just say things," Toomer said. "Whatever he says, he means."

Linebacker Brandon Short thinks the talk of Barber's will not distract the team.

"Tiki is an outstanding player and I hope he stays with the Giants and plays forever, so I can watch him play and he can help us win some championships," Short said. "Right now, our focus is the task at hand and that's the 2006 season."

Tiki is correct..

If tiki maybe retiring after the season affects how his team plays this year...then everyone of them should be cut...these are professional, highly paid athletes...I dont think for 1 minute this would be a distraction..This is the idiotic sports media trying to fill space...

Tiki is correct..

If tiki maybe retiring after the season affects how his team plays this year...then everyone of them should be cut...these are professional, highly paid athletes...I dont think for 1 minute this would be a distraction..This is the idiotic sports media trying to fill space...

What he said, right on point bman.

Btw, I can't even watch nfl shows anymore other than HBO (Insode the NFL?) because they are all regurgitating the same bs. Not to mention I get better analysis during discussions with you guys here than I see on those shows.

I think he's tired of being overused by coughlin. loved his comment about irvin "that ultimate character guy"

I'm amazed that idiot still has a job. How ESPN continues to keep him on the payroll is beyond me.

I would love to see Tiki replace Irvin next year. That would be poetic justice.

Tiki is correct..

This is the idiotic sports media trying to fill space...

Bull****. Tiki made a statement. Other people responded to it.

Reporting on athletes is a sportswriter's job.

Whiny-ass athletes are not the fault of the media.

I'm amazed that idiot still has a job. How ESPN continues to keep him on the payroll is beyond me.

I would love to see Tiki replace Irvin next year. That would be poetic justice.

that would be poetic but irvin will be canned due to drug habits anyway

so are you sayin michael irvin saying he's quitting is a sportswriter doing his job?

The words "sportswriter" and "journalist" have never been used to describe what Irvin does!

What does Irvin do? All I hear is him defending TO and mentioning the Cowboys and 'Canes any chance he can.

Is it me or does Irvin always looked stoned with his hazy eyes?

Looks ain't deceiving. If he's not drunk or high, he's borderline retarded.

I think Barber's actually right. If his teammates are distracted by what he might do or not do next season they should probably quit themselves. It shouldn't be a distraction. He is trying to generate buzz for his own broadcast career. And give him credit for knowing NFL running backs start to get really ineffective after their 32nd birthdays. Would you rather be Barry Sanders or Earl Campbell in about 10 years? And who cares what Gary "the Dolphins will be in the Super Bowl"Meyers thinks about anything?

Bull****. Tiki made a statement. Other people responded to it.

Reporting on athletes is a sportswriter's job.

Whiny-ass athletes are not the fault of the media.

It's also the job of a sportswriter to do their homework and find out if what he said really was a distraction and not make blind statements

Ingorant-ass media types are not the fault of the athlete

What makes the media immune from criticism?

Irvin slams Tiki and lauds the likes of T.O. Go figure. He's an Equal Opportunity Jackass, I reckon. It just goes to show you that Irvin has less respect for players who for the most part conduct themselves with dignity and greater respect for chest thumping idiots. A consistent track record of his. Whatever. He grates on me.

I heard Gary Myers explain his side on the radio tonight. I think it's mostly a misunderstanding. Myers claimed he was giving his opinion on how discussing retirement mid-season might be a distraction for the team. Tiki claims he never said he was retiring at the end of the season and why would Myers report that without knowing if it was true. Myers countered he didn't say who told him, but still, it was an opinion of his that it would be a distraction. Tiki said he voiced his annoyance after the game, but it's over. Semantics? I don't know, because I didn't personally read the Myers article.

Most of the cricism seems to be coming from second rate hacks, rather than the "premier" sports writers. The top media people probably aren't allowed to say anything because pretty much ever station wants to hire the guy. I'd imagine pissing him off isn't the best way to get into his good graces. The ultimate irony would be if Tiki replaces Irvin. Oh man, I'm pretty sure I'd laugh for days if that happened.

Reminds me of a song. "It's hard at there for a Pimp"

Indeed-times of economic uncertainty do in fact cause great fiscal fluctuations in the fortunes of sexual gratification entrepeneurs, given their dependence on a high level of disposable income amongst and between the purchasers of their services .

Why does Tiki think he's the next Tom Brokaw?
If he could show up sober and not wear suits&ties more suited to hard-working pimphood, he will at least be a major improvement over Michael Irvin. But so would Haley Joel Osmet or Rosie O'Donnell.Plus unlike Brokaw, Tiki can pronounce the letter "L".

Archived