What Kind Of Rookie RB would you Prefer ......

L.I.MikeBleedsGreen

This team will have a top 15 pick.

Marshawn Lynch will likely be availble to us, and he's a very good player, by far the 2nd best back in college football, #1 actually with Peterson down with his injury.

The #1 guy I want, if we stick with this 3-4, is Alan Branch.

Ray Rice > Lynch

Thank You

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't believe in committing rounds to positions like you guys do. You have to judge each player individually. If the Jets have the #15 pick and Michael Bush is the best player available you should take him. If Alan Branch the Nose Tackle is available at #15, though I doubt he will be, take him there. There aren't alot of good Defensive Linemen in this draft. O-line is again pretty deep this year but that just means you can find quality guards and tackles in Rounds 2-5.

Plus, this underemphasis on the RB position is a big reason why our running game is pathetic right now. You're not going to have a good ground game with scrubs like Washington, Houston, Barlow and Blaylock and for every Frank Gore you have dozens of RB's you've never even heard about.

Take the best player available and know which positions are deep with talent.

I think our smallish guards and lack of mauler RT are the problem. Against a smaller weaker DL, Washington has show he can run well. I don't think improving the RB will show as dramatic a gain as improving the run blocking. Just look at Edge at Arizona, we know Edge is a top RB, but without the blocking he can't do much.

So I guess you'd like to see the Jets draft more scrubs to play RB?

you nailed it peternorth. I am quite happy rooting for a mediocre team.

why do the rest of us even post here. lets go get brady quinn and worry about our defense down the road. drob ellis & thomas are doing an excellent job of making our lb's look outstanding. 1 key offensive aquisition & we're all set

you nailed it peternorth. I am quite happy rooting for a mediocre team.

why do the rest of us even post here. lets go get brady quinn and worry about our defense down the road. drob ellis & thomas are doing an excellent job of making our lb's look outstanding. 1 key offensive aquisition & we're all set

:) :) :) well put jw!

I think our smallish guards and lack of mauler RT are the problem. Against a smaller weaker DL, Washington has show he can run well. I don't think improving the RB will show as dramatic a gain as improving the run blocking. Just look at Edge at Arizona, we know Edge is a top RB, but without the blocking he can't do much.

I agree that having an undersized O-line is the main problem. That was a big reason why I was against drafting Ferguson because he is an undersized Tackle. Sure, Ferguson can stay in front of his guy in pass blocking situations but he is an average run blocker. Mangold is undersized but Centers don't need to be big and mauling as proven by Kevin Mawae who at 280 lbs was tiny for an O-linemen.

However, you still need to have a good back. The Redskins have one of the best Offensive Lines in the NFL but without Clinton Portis their offense can't do anything. KC has a top 3 offensive line even wihout Willie Roaf yet their season would be over if they lost Larry Johnson. I know you guys have man-love for Leon Washington but the guy is not a full-time RB. He is injury prone and not very talented.

Getting stats in garbage time against the Jags and the amazing Detroit Lions without their best player is meaningless. How did Leon Washington do last week against the Browns?

This team will have a top 15 pick.

Marshawn Lynch will likely be availble to us, and he's a very good player, by far the 2nd best back in college football, #1 actually with Peterson down with his injury.

The #1 guy I want, if we stick with this 3-4, is Alan Branch.

I like Branch a lot and would like to see the Jets draft him if he's available but after him there is nothing at the DT position in this draft.

If you think Quinn Pitc*ck is our NT of the future you are smoking something. He is a one-gap DT and even smaller than Dewayne Robertson. Only way we should draft him is if we go back to the 4-3 which would be the right move but Mangini won't do it.

I like Branch a lot and would like to see the Jets draft him if he's available but after him there is nothing at the DT position in this draft.

If you think Quinn Pitc*ck is our NT of the future you are smoking something. He is a one-gap DT and even smaller than Dewayne Robertson. Only way we should draft him is if we go back to the 4-3 which would be the right move but Mangini won't do it.

Are you talking to me? I've never said anything about Pitc#ck.

Are you talking to me? I've never said anything about Pitc#ck.

After Branch Pitc0ck is the most mentioned DT in the draft. I'm just saying that there are no real NT's in the next draft besides Branch and there won't be any available in Free Agency, so look forward to more undersized NT's like Dewayne Robertson.

I agree that having an undersized O-line is the main problem. That was a big reason why I was against drafting Ferguson because he is an undersized Tackle. Sure, Ferguson can stay in front of his guy in pass blocking situations but he is an average run blocker. Mangold is undersized but Centers don't need to be big and mauling as proven by Kevin Mawae who at 280 lbs was tiny for an O-linemen.

However, you still need to have a good back. The Redskins have one of the best Offensive Lines in the NFL but without Clinton Portis their offense can't do anything. KC has a top 3 offensive line even wihout Willie Roaf yet their season would be over if they lost Larry Johnson. I know you guys have man-love for Leon Washington but the guy is not a full-time RB. He is injury prone and not very talented.

Getting stats in garbage time against the Jags and the amazing Detroit Lions without their best player is meaningless. How did Leon Washington do last week against the Browns?

AND WE ALL KNOW WHAT A HARD TIME DENVER HAS RUNNING THE BALL W/THEIR SMALLISH LINE.

I'm willing to go to war with the same RB's we have this season. If we draft another in the later rounds, fine. But using a 1st rounder on a RB is useless if we don't bulk up the interior line, or continue to revamp the defense. If the D keeps giving up a lot of points to teams like Detroit or Cleveland, we'll always be playing from behind against even tougher teams. Thus, the running game would become meaningless anyways!

Uh... YES. The reason that the jets even got Derrick Blaylock was that great oline in KC. That happens ALL THE TIME. If you have a good oline. It makes your RB's look better. Thats just a fact.

The Redskins have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL yet if you put anyone not named Clinton Portis in their backfield they can't run the ball.

The Vikings have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL yet their running game is nothing special with Chester Taylor.

The Patriots always had a good O-line but their running game was mediocre until they got Corey Dillon.

A scrub is a scrub. Barlow, Blaylock, and Houston are all scrubs. Washington can be an ok third down back and return guy but he's not a full-time RB.

The Redskins have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL yet if you put not named Clinton Portis in the backfield they can't run the ball.

The Vikings have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL yet their running game is nothing special with Chester Taylor.

The Patriots always had a good O-line but their running game was mediocre until they got Corey Dillon.

A scrub is a scrub. Barlow, Blaylock, and Houston are all scrubs. Washington can be an ok third down back and return guy but he's not a full-time RB.

Maybe the Redskins Vikings and Patsy Olines aren't as good as you think they are.

I'm with PeterNorth. We don't have to trade everything for Peterson, but we MUST look to upgrade at RB. Having a bunch of 2 and 3 backs is not going to cut it in this league.
You can draft good RB's later in the draft. there is NO reason to waste oour 1st rounder on a RB.

You can draft good RB's later in the draft. there is NO reason to waste oour 1st rounder on a RB.

I wouldn't call drafting Peterson, Marshawn Lynch or Michael Bush a waste.

There are a ton of good offensive linemen you can find in the later rounds.

Some of this year's talent found in the later rounds:

Marcus McNeill (Round 2, already an elite Left Tackle)

Ryan O'Callaghan (Round 5, second day pick is playing very well for the pats)

Andrew Whitworth (Round 2, starting at Left Tackle for the Bengals, will develop into a very solid player)

Jonathan Scott (Round 4, already starting for the Lions at RT)

Why don't we just look at our past?

Kareem Mackenzie (Round 3)

Jason Fabini (Round 4)

Ryan Young (Round 7)

You're telling me the Jets can't rebuild the O-line with big bruising blockers like that?

I wouldn't call drafting Peterson, Marshawn Lynch or Michael Bush a waste.

There are a ton of good offensive linemen you can find in the later rounds.

Some of this year's talent found in the later rounds:

Marcus McNeill (Round 2, already an elite Left Tackle)

Ryan O'Callaghan (Round 5, second day pick is playing very well for the pats)

Andrew Whitworth (Round 2, starting at Left Tackle for the Bengals, will develop into a very solid player)

Jonathan Scott (Round 4, already starting for the Lions at RT)

Why don't we just look at our past?

Kareem Mackenzie (Round 3)

Jason Fabini (Round 4)

Ryan Young (Round 7)

You're telling me the Jets can't rebuild the O-line with big bruising blockers like that?

Yes they can improve the Oline later in the draft but it's much harder to improve the LB corps and the Dline which are more important then adding another RB and it's MUCH harder to getthose guys later in the draft.

Yes they can improve the Oline later in the draft but it's much harder to improve the LB corps and the Dline which are more important then adding another RB and it's MUCH harder to getthose guys later in the draft.

Agree with you about improving the D-line but outside of Alan Branch and Quentin Moses there are no other great d-line prospects in this draft. Unless we change back to a 4-3.

LB corps is not that bad. Again, Mangini is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Vilma is about 30lbs to small to play ILB, Barton hates playing 3-4 and Hobson looks like crap in it.

Change to 4-3 scheme and add a DT and DE. That'll fix the defense.

Agree with you about improving the D-line but outside of Alan Branch and Quentin Moses there are no other great d-line prospects in this draft. Unless we change back to a 4-3.

LB corps is not that bad. Again, Mangini is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Vilma is about 30lbs to small to play ILB, Barton hates playing 3-4 and Hobson looks like crap in it.

It's better to try to play 3-4 next year and do that by bringing in good OLB's to create a pass rush.

The Redskins have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL yet if you put anyone not named Clinton Portis in their backfield they can't run the ball.

betts ran for over a 100 yards couple of weeks ago when portis was out

i guess you dont remember what happened to dfat. we need bunch of players on the defencive side. we need a pure NT a 3-4 DT/DE. another tweener(DE/OLB) and inside linebacker help. take a page from chargers draft book. they are the best 1st round drafters.

and enough with the 4-3 d. we are 3-4 get over it :baby: .

i dont oppose draftin a running back in the 1st round but you can always develop a young player like leon into a big time threat. more confident he becomes in this system the more productive he will become. i have trust in tangini to build this team the jets way.

about vilma. he is a great talent. might be a little small for 3-4. but if he is willing to play in this system you give him that chance. if he wants out you give him a pass and trade him for no less than a 16th pick in the 1st round

Archived