Hey Jetcane, its official, Coker done.

Cant Hackett

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2674282

Updated: Nov. 24, 2006, 11:05 AM ET

Coker fired by Miami after .500 seasonBy Mark Schlabach

ESPN.com

Miami fired football coach Larry Coker on Friday, a day after the Hurricanes beat No. 18 Boston College 17-14 to salvage a 6-6 season to become eligible to play in a postseason bowl game.

A Miami official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said Coker's firing would be announced later today. Coker was informed of the decision by athletics director Paul Dee early Friday. Coker has three years remaining on a contract that pays him nearly $2 million annually, and the school will owe him between $2.4 million and $3 million in a buyout.

Coker, 58, won more games in his first six seasons than any other Hurricanes coach except Dennis Erickson, and he has won more games since 2001 than all but five Division I-A coaches.

Coker had a 59-15 record, a winning percentage of nearly 80 percent, and won a national championship in 2001 and played for another title the following season.

Coker's teams were 4-2 against rival Florida State, 3-0 against Florida and won two BCS bowl games, including a 37-14 victory over Nebraska in the 2002 Rose Bowl, which gave the Hurricanes their fifth national title.

But the Hurricanes slipped considerably the last two seasons, after they won their first 25 games under Coker, a former Miami offensive coordinator, who was elevated to replace Butch Davis following the 2000 season.

Miami went 9-3 in 2004 and 2005 and salvaged a .500 record this season after beating the Eagles. The Hurricanes will probably play in the MPC Computers Bowl in Boise, Idaho or the Emerald Bowl in San Francisco.

The crowd of 23,308 at the Orange Bowl for the Boston College game was the smallest in Miami's 44 home games since Dec. 4, 1999.

"The future is very bright at the University of Miami," Coker said after the game. "We've been a little down. We won't be down long here, and you can print that."

Picture that scene in "Animal House" where Dean Woermer comes in to Delta House to read the riot act and expell them from school, except all the Hurricanes are stashing kilo bricks and handguns, and Donna Shalala looks like an ewok after being struck repeatedly in the face, head and body with a cast iron skillet several thousand times.

Dean_Wormer.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2674282

Updated: Nov. 24, 2006, 11:05 AM ET

Coker fired by Miami after .500 seasonBy Mark Schlabach

ESPN.com

Miami fired football coach Larry Coker on Friday, a day after the Hurricanes beat No. 18 Boston College 17-14."

It's time this corner was turned and we can begin moving ahead from here.

It definitely takes a certain type who would want to spend four years at a school in L.A., or Miami, or the midwest, or deep south. I guess thats why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors.

There is a large amount of talent on the team- guys who are 4 and 5 star recruits- so there's always ballers who will want to play at Miami if the offer is extended.

The problem has been not getting them coached up right.

Put the right guy in there who can push the right buttons, and they will have a quicker turnaround than any of the doubters think.

Any word if they will look for a coach that will stress what the school has done so well in the past:

-Ball spinning

-Taunting

-Personal Fouls

You never want to forget where you came from! lol.

Oh -- Welcome to the site Lady Seminole!

No suprise since Miami has lost to FSU twice in a row now. I'm sure the fans down there arent very happy about that.

I think the big problem now is actually finding a coach considering its like a game of musical chairs in the NCAA right now.

no suprise miami has beent he most dominant school in florida for the last 1/4 of the century either right? they return 19 starters next year, if i was a cane fan ( sort of am) i would not want schiano, hes a horrible gameday coach, but i would be praying for a coach like tuberville.

Would you like to have John Bunting? :)

I said a guy who can push buttons- not a guy who is a button. :)

Vilma 5114, i agree, Schiano is not my first choice and I think he is overrated, but is a good fit for RU.

Lady Semenhole, before you go off thinking you have a decent team, here's some news for you that you may have missed:

The Semenholes (6-5, 3-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) have just two wins over schools with winning records -- Rice and Western Michigan --

IMPRESSIVE!

no suprise miami has beent he most dominant school in florida for the last 1/4 of the century either right? they return 19 starters next year, if i was a cane fan ( sort of am) i would not want schiano, hes a horrible gameday coach, but i would be praying for a coach like tuberville.

Why would Tuberville leave the SEC to go coach a minor league team?

Why would Tuberville leave the SEC to go coach a minor league team?

Really. How could he leave the dirtiest recruiting conference in the country?

After years of using illegal recruiting techniques- including LSU's specialty- money under the table and buying the player's grandma a condo- how could a coach survive observing the NCAA rules?

Jetcane what would you think of Petrino going there?

I would be happy with Petrino if he kept Randy Shannon as the DC.

Petrino is a great offensive mind, but is lacking on the defensive side of the ball. I think his next stop will be the NFL, but maybe he'll make a detour into Miami first.

Norm Chow, Spurrier and Petrino would all be great as long as they kept the DC or put someone in there who was comparable to Shannon.

I know, I was just ribbin ya.

However you would be hard pressed to find someone more dedicated to his alma mater. Although I am glad we got Davis, it was tough today seeing Bunting march off the field for the last time. I wish it could have worked out differently.

I know, I was just ribbin ya.

I know :D

Chow is not a spring chicken, but I'd take him in a nanosecond.

I really dont want spurrier- to me he will always be a croc ( Gaytor).

There are a few other names out there, but I dont know if they will take someone who hasnt been a HC. That would rule out Chow. There are a couple of OCs mentioned, and of course Alvarez (I'd take him as the AD, but not so much as HC) and the wild card is the schiano situation. I think he should stay at RU.

Randy Shannon is a possibility, but I think he may get the HC job at FIU.

They hired a consultant for this decison- I forgot his name, former commish of the Big 12 or something, so you know they will conduct a search.

Lady Semenhole, before you go off thinking you have a decent team, here's some news for you that you may have missed:

The Semenholes (6-5, 3-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) have just two wins over schools with winning records -- Rice and Western Michigan --

IMPRESSIVE!

And the Canes have done so much better with a similar 6-6 season?How could Miami nearly lose to Duke (20-15) they have to be the worst team in the ACC. Not to mention teams like GT,VT,Virginia and the others.At least the Noles were able to get one shut out(VA) this year.

Anyways...back to the real reason. I hear the Rutgers coach is happy wher he is at. Spurrier doesnt want to come(and smart if he doesnt),so who else is out there?There's always Bunting... :P

yes most dominant in florida even through fsu staying in the top 5 for 12 straight years..winning 2 nat'l titles and appearing in a third and having a winning percentage of around 89% for the better part of the 90s., yep. Miami dominated alright.

Both are teams are in need of a major overhaul They aren't the powerhouses they once were. Cokers gone. Im hoping Bobby calls it a career.

LadySeminole, welcome to the site. It is nice to see another seminole here with me and L.I.Jetsfan. Are you current student or alumni?

Vilma 5114, i agree, Schiano is not my first choice and I think he is overrated, but is a good fit for RU.

IMPRESSIVE!

Don't think anyone's saying the Noles are a great team this year. They aren't.

But beating FAMU, Houston, UNC and FIU isn't exactly something to be proud of either.

Don't think anyone's saying the Noles are a great team this year. They aren't.

But beating FAMU, Houston, UNC and FIU isn't exactly something to be proud of either.

You should know by now that when someone talks smack about the Canes I smack back.

You left out Miami beating BC, who, last time I looked was a ranked team.

Who did the Holes shut out that Semenhole is so proud of? LOL!

This is the guy who is at the top of my list:

He has also been an offensive coordinator at the University of Southern California, North Carolina State University, and Brigham Young University. He won the 2002 Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach. He also was named the 2002 NCAA Division I-A Offensive Coordinator of the Year by American Football Monthly and was named the National Assistant Coach of the Year in 1999 by the American Football Foundation. He is known for developing quarterbacks such as Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart.

You should know by now that when someone talks smack about the Canes I smack back.

You left out Miami beating BC, who, last time I looked was a ranked team.

Who did the Holes shut out that Semenhole is so proud of? LOL!

Haven't shut anyone out..but I do remember beating a then #12 team out of Miami early in the year.

Archived