For the 2007 Season...CLEMENS IS OUR QB

Jet27

I know some of you guys are going to bash me, I know this going in.

But please consider this, give Clemens a chance in the preseason, let's give this kid a real shot, with penny on the sidelines, maybe this makes both QBs better.

Clemens can roll out of the pocket, penny can't, Clemens can throw the ball down field, Penny Can't....you throw the ball down field and then your running game will improve.

Let's sign Freenie and put him on the line or as a LB, and let's go after samuel for our secondary.

Let's see this happen......

If he beats out all other QB's in camp I'm all for it. If he resembles the kid who couldn't handle a snap I'm not. I'd love to see more competition there with a QB with a major-league arm, but I hate anointing anyone to any position.

Freeney is a bad idea. I will be polite & just leave it at that. Samuel I like.

As I just posted in another thread:

Unlike this year when CP was coming off of surgery, I think he will be penciled in as the #1 heading into next tc. But that doesnt mean he wont be unseated if Clemens shows enough to take the spot from him.

If he beats out all other QB's in camp I'm all for it. If he resembles the kid who couldn't handle a snap I'm not. I'd love to see more competition there with a QB with a major-league arm, but I hate anointing anyone to any position.

Freeney is a bad idea. I will be polite & just leave it at that. Samuel I like.

Guys of course what I am saying is based on the kid Clemens showing improvement...I'm not freakin crazy.....just asking on this, why would a move of freenie as a LB be a bad move?...many people ike samuel....he'll look good in green

Guys of course what I am saying is based on the kid Clemens showing improvement...I'm not freakin crazy.....just asking on this, why would a move of freenie as a LB be a bad move?...many people ike samuel....he'll look good in green

It has nothing to do with whether Freeney can or cannot play OLB. He will command an ENORMOUS contract & it would be imprudent to pay through the nose for a player & then make him change positions. At the pricetag he comes with, anything less than only-slightly-worse-than-Merriman would translate to bad value.

When you acquire a FA - particularly a pricey one - it is reasonable to expect impact production right away without needing a year or two to get the position down-pat (if he's even able to).

Which is why Samuel to play CB would be a good fit. But if we were bringing in Samuel to move him to strong safety would not.

He had a shot all year and couldn't even beat out Ramsey for the #2 spot, what makes you think this guy can be a starter in this league? I think it was a stupid pick, he's what, 5 ft tall?

Exactly what I was thinking... If he couldnt beat Ramsey this year... what will he do in the offseason to leapfrog in front of Pennington. I think the only way Chad doesnt start next year is becuase of injury or a blockbuster move of sorts...

Rather than going nuts via F/A, I would rather see the Jets lock up what truly is our franchise right now.....Coach mangini

Pay the man his due Wooody.....I don't want him on another team!!!

Also, another possible F/A pickup that would be a nice under the radar signing would be Tully Bant-Cain

The guy would fit in well here

Rather than going nuts via F/A, I would rather see the Jets lock up what truly is our franchise right now.....Coach mangini

Also, another possible F/A pickup that would be a nice under the radar signing would be Tully Bant-Cain

no salary cap for coaches.

we can do both.

Exactly what I was thinking... If he couldnt beat Ramsey this year... what will he do in the offseason to leapfrog in front of Pennington. I think the only way Chad doesnt start next year is becuase of injury or a blockbuster move of sorts...

Hard to say how much he's progressed. Clearly he wasn't dropping jaws. But if he was roughly on-par with Ramsey (or even only slightly better in practice) then I'd have to give the nod to Ramsey in any win-or-the-season's-over on zero notice solely from having NFL experience. If it was for the following week, then maybe Clemens.

We'll see. Hope for the best; those sideline out-patterns need to have more zip on them than we're getting now, but he's got to have more than just better arm strength. Otherwise we've got another Ramsey with less experience.

so funny you said that i was just about to create a thread, I still dont think most Jets fans fully understand yet what we've came across, how a coach like this doesnt come around to often.. Like JonE said, we need to lock this man up for the next 8-10, lets go WOODY times a tickin

Clemens is going to have to work his tail off to beat Chad in the area's of play action, hard count, no huddle, reading D's and adjusting play call. I don't think he'll be able to equal him let alone beat him in those departments. But I don't want to sell him short either.

The big trade-off comes into play when all the aforementioned is said and done and the ball is snapped. Can Clemens make the throws? I'm not just refering to the 25+ power tosses - I'm talking about the 10-15 yarders that have to be threaded up the seam or in the back of the flat. This is where we lose out with Chad under center. His floaters are reality, but If they were accurate we would just have a hang time issue.

If Clemens can make those throws plus put the ball on the hands of somebody further downfield who hasn't beat the Dback by 2 steps but has a half a step on him - then I'd happily work through the learning curve with Clemens on the other items.

Clemens is going to have to work his tail off to beat Chad in the area's of play action, hard count, no huddle, reading D's and adjusting play call. I don't think he'll be able to equal him let alone beat him in those departments. But I don't want to sell him short either.

The big trade-off comes into play when all the aforementioned is said and done and the ball is snapped. Can Clemens make the throws? I'm not just refering to the 25+ power tosses - I'm talking about the 10-15 yarders that have to be threaded up the seam or in the back of the flat. This is where we lose out with Chad under center. His floaters are reality, but If they were accurate we would just have a hang time issue.

If Clemens can make those throws plus put the ball on the hands of somebody further downfield who hasn't beat the Dback by 2 steps but has a half a step on him - then I'd happily work through the learning curve with Clemens on the other items.

well put

It has nothing to do with whether Freeney can or cannot play OLB. He will command an ENORMOUS contract & it would be imprudent to pay through the nose for a player & then make him change positions. At the pricetag he comes with, anything less than only-slightly-worse-than-Merriman would translate to bad value.

When you acquire a FA - particularly a pricey one - it is reasonable to expect impact production right away without needing a year or two to get the position down-pat (if he's even able to).

Which is why Samuel to play CB would be a good fit. But if we were bringing in Samuel to move him to strong safety would not.

SP..Agree.....It will take many bucs to get freeney...I like samuel in green playing CB, and hope the kid clemens improves to be a No. 1 QB......otherwise we are shot in the ass with Penny again in 2007...I'm just really frustrated right now with that lose yesterday and what made matters worse was the friggin lateral and then the INT--TD....

no offense to kellen i know he was playing with scrubs but lets look at his preseason numbers

game 1- tampa bay 10-14 92 yards 0 td 0 int

game 2-washington- 2-4 2 yards 1 td 0 int

game 3 -new york giants 3-11 24 yards 0 td 1 int

game 4-philadelphia-7-10 75 yards 0 td 1 int

game 5 -jacksonville-0-1 0 yards 0 td 0 int

game 6-buffalo-0-0 0 yards 0 td 0 int

so in 6 games

193 yards 1 td 2 int

do those really look like numbers to a franchise qb ? no

stick with chad for 1 more year

no offense to kellen i know he was playing with scrubs but lets look at his preseason numbers

game 1- tampa bay 10-14 92 yards 0 td 0 int

game 2-washington- 2-4 2 yards 1 td 0 int

game 3 -new york giants 3-11 24 yards 0 td 1 int

game 4-philadelphia-7-10 75 yards 0 td 1 int

game 5 -jacksonville-0-1 0 yards 0 td 0 int

game 6-buffalo-0-0 0 yards 0 td 0 int

so in 6 games

193 yards 1 td 2 int

Pennington's #'s weren't that impressive in pre-season. In that same TB game Chad had 54 yds on 14 pass attempts. Should we have released him after that?

in 6 games

193 yards 1 td 2 int

You cant base anything on those stats - it's preseason and garbage time. I'd bet you could throw up the same timeframe statistics for every QB enshrined in Canton and >20% look any better and if they do it's a fluke. There's a lot to be said for bringing on a QB slowly (Romo). I hope we don't have to wait 3 years here if Clemens is the guy at all.

yea he had a good game yesterday-I'd love to raid their cupboard-they are battle tested and ready to go players-they already know the system

Aren't any of you guys sick of seeing the Jets trot out these little undersized QB's who try to run around and throw ducks all day? Hate to break it to you but there isn't much of a difference between Kellen Clemens and Jay Fiedler or Patrick Ramsey.

24693934.jpg

Real Solution: Trade up for Brady Quinn or Jamarcus Russell. We have the 1st round pick and Jon Vilma to use as bait and those guys can play.

I love Chad but not as a starter. A switch to Clemens has to be made so we can see what we've got with the kid and if he has nothing we then will need to start over. Bench Chad, keep him as the #2 as his salary isn't too high and it would be great to have his leadership and experience in the clubhouse and his smarts to help out Kellen in the process of becoming and NFL starting quarterback.

I love Chad but not as a starter. A switch to Clemens has to be made so we can see what we've got with the kid and if he has nothing we then will need to start over. Bench Chad, keep him as the #2 as his salary isn't too high and it would be great to have his leadership and experience in the clubhouse and his smarts to help out Kellen in the process of becoming and NFL starting quarterback.

i agree ;)

124...that was nice.

Let's all face it, we all wanted Chad to do it, but he can't and won't happen. I posted here last week when I said this game against the Pats is his time to shine...and guess what...he didn't.

124...that was nice.

Let's all face it, we all wanted Chad to do it, but he can't and won't happen. I posted here last week when I said this game against the Pats is his time to shine...and guess what...he didn't.

He did shine, he led our team to mulptiple scoring drives against a stingy Pats defense... he had a ball that should have been caught in the endzone for a TD rather than settling for a FG against a team that has only allowed I beleive 11 red zone TD's.

Chad played awesome yesterday, you can hope he is gone next year but dont take away that he was the best thing we had going for us yesterday... it wasnt the defense thats for sure, adn the running game didnt exist... nobody helped Chad yesterday.

Seriously its different to want whats best for the team and to bash a guy who clearly was our best player out there on offense yesterday.

He did shine, he led our team to mulptiple scoring drives against a stingy Pats defense... he had a ball that should have been caught in the endzone for a TD rather than settling for a FG against a team that has only allowed I beleive 11 red zone TD's.

Chad played awesome yesterday, you can hope he is gone next year but dont take away that he was the best thing we had going for us yesterday... it wasnt the defense thats for sure, adn the running game didnt exist... nobody helped Chad yesterday.

Seriously its different to want whats best for the team and to bash a guy who clearly was our best player out there on offense yesterday.

I thought Cotch was our best player actually, or maybe Baker.

I thought Cotch was our best player actually, or maybe Baker.

Yeah they are in the mix for that, Chad is up there though... rememeber without him their plays dont happen either.... but that goes both ways... Cotch is amazing in the open field.

Chads play action got Baker free, but either way our receivers and Chad are the only people who did good yesterday.

You cant base anything on those stats - it's preseason and garbage time. I'd bet you could throw up the same timeframe statistics for every QB enshrined in Canton and >20% look any better and if they do it's a fluke. There's a lot to be said for bringing on a QB slowly (Romo). I hope we don't have to wait 3 years here if Clemens is the guy at all.

I'm not worried about Clemens stats, but if you watched him he looked lost. Not getting the snaps off on time, happy feet and bolting at the first sign of pressure. True he came in at the end of the game, but he didn't look ready to me. Hopefully he'll get over that, but anybody who wants to annoint him starter now is more delusional than ecurb. Open competition is fine, but declaring Clemens starter per-camp is ultra-ridiculous.

Chad played awesome yesterday.

You must have watched a different game than I did.

What I saw PennyBoy do yesterday is go 0-3 in the Red Zone, only convert 3 of 11 3rd down situations, lose a fumble that resulted in 3 points and throw an INT that was returned for 7 points.

How do you consider that type of performance "awesome"?

You are clearly, a relative of Chad Pennington.

Not putting the ball in the end zone ONCE in three red zone drives is not awesome.

Oh, my mistake. It was Laveranues Coles' fault for a phantom drop.

I would rather trade up for Russell than for Brady Quinn, but I am not sure Vilma + our 1st would do that. Vilma and our first is really stretching it, and I don't know if I'd part with that much. And I don't know if that would be enough to move up. Leaning towards probably not.

I have my doubts about whether or not Mangini will actually have a true open QB competition in training camp between Clemens and Pennington. He might say its a competition to the media, but at the same time he could be saying "hey, Chads my guy". I trust Mangini, but I am not in blind faith. He hasnt been tested with this problem yet, we'll see how he handles it......

Who knows, maybe we draft another QB in the 2nd rd this year. I like what I hear from Clemens, but I am a big fan of having a QB in the 6'4 and + range.

Archived