Fish ask to interview Schottenheimer

4HCrew

Jets: Dolphins ask to speak to Schottenheimer

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Miami Dolphins have asked the Jets for permission to speak to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer about their head-coaching vacancy, a league official told The Star-Ledger last night.

The official requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the discussions.

The Jets are expected to grant Schottenheimer permission and he'll likely interview with the Dolphins in the coming days. Ron Colangelo, the Jets' vice president of public relations, was unavailable for comment.

USC coach Carroll keeps door open for possible move

Schottenheimer, Martz to meet with Dolphins

By Harvey Fialkov

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Posted January 10 2007

Dolphins jet-setting owner H. Wayne Huizenga might have picked up more than a tan when he flew to Costa Rica last weekend to interview vacationing Southern California coach Pete Carroll.

Carroll, who has won two national titles in six seasons at USC, has repeatedly rebuffed offers to return to the NFL, where he was 33-31 in four seasons as coach of the New England Patriots and New York Jets, until Tuesday when he left the door ajar for future negotiations with the Dolphins.

"[Huizenga's] like the only guy I know who's in the NFL that actually hires guys to do everything," Carroll told the Los Angeles Times in his first public comments since meeting with Huizenga in Liberia, Costa Rica on Sunday. "That's why I thought it was worthwhile talking, hearing him out and talking. ... I was just really curious about how his expectations for running the club fell into place.

Carroll, 55, said he "absolutely" expects to stay at USC, but also said, "I've got to tell you that I'm always chasing a challenge. I'm teased by all challenges."

Dolphins CEO Joe Bailey said on his weekly radio show Tuesday that he and Huizenga have interviewed nine candidates since Thursday, but that all were preliminary discussions and no job offers were made. He said the search includes college head coaches, former NFL head coaches, NFL position coaches and NFL coordinators. The team is looking to replace Nick Saban, who left last week to coach at Alabama.

Bailey refused to divulge the identities of any upcoming interview subjects. A source said the Dolphins will meet with Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz, and the Newark Star-Ledger reported that they'll also meet with Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, son of San Diego Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer, in the next few days.

"We've been going full throttle," Bailey said. "I don't think any other club has been more proactive or aggressive as we have been."

Martz, 56, was the mastermind behind "The Greatest Show on Turf" during his seven-year run as the St. Louis Rams' offensive coordinator (1999) and head coach (2000-05).

The Rams were 54-33 under his watch, which included four playoff berths and a loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIV. The Rams averaged 26.5 points per game under Martz.

Because of an infection in his heart, Martz stepped aside after a 2-3 start in 2005 and was later fired with one year remaining on his contract.

While the 3-13 Lions were ranked last in rushing this season, the passing attack, Martz's specialty, was a respectable seventh.

"I feel certain that I'll be here," Martz told the Detroit Free Press before the Lions' final game of the season.

In his first season with the Jets, Schottenheimer directed a young, efficient, yet 25th-ranked offense to the playoffs. Bailey also lauded San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach and linebackers coach Mike Singletary, hinting at an upcoming interview. Former Dolphins interim head coach Jim Bates is also believed to be under consideration.

Bailey confirmed speaking to eight of the nine candidates, including Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner and defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, former Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora, Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey and Dolphins defensive coordinator Dom Capers, who a source said declined a job offer to become Atlanta's defensive coordinator.

"We have stated more than once that many, if not all of the people we have met with, could do it from a competency standpoint," Bailey said. "They could literally be a head coach in the NFL. Where you get the differences is when you line them up to find out what the differences are and benchmark them against the other."

Bailey quashed any speculation that the Dolphins were interested in Bill Cowher, who resigned from the Steelers Friday to spend more time with his family.

"If you have a coach who decides to retire like Bill Cowher, what's the compelling reason wanting to pursue Bill?" Bailey said.

Bailey said General Manager Randy Mueller has been involved in the coach search from team headquarters.

Bailey said the team hopes to hire someone "as soon as we possibly could."

"It's a matter of competency and also the chemistry or fit," Bailey said. "They have to be able to compete against the very best in the league."

Assistants to stay

Outside linebackers coach Travis Jones and running backs coach Bobby Williams have decided to stay with the franchise, a source said. Both assistants had offers to join Saban on his University of Alabama staff

interesting the Jets would let him go...could they not block?

They can & they can't.

Technically, they can. But since we only got Mangini AND Schott because their former teams DID grant permission to US, it's not really proper. Other teams allow this freely and if we're the only ones not to, it doesn't look good for us & would be difficult to attract new coaches in the future if that was our stance.

They can & they can't.

Technically, they can. But since we only got Mangini AND Schott because their former teams DID grant permission to US, it's not really proper. Other teams allow this freely and if we're the only ones not to, it doesn't look good for us & would be difficult to attract new coaches in the future if that was our stance.

Plus Mangini has stated that he would be happy for one of his assistants to get a head coaching job elsewhere and would do everything he could to help them achieve that.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

WAYNE'S PLANE ON THE MOVE AGAIN

Although there are reports that the interview of Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz has been moved from Thursday to Wednesday, it appears that the Dolphins' interview team is making at least one stop on the way to Motown.

Wayne Huizenga's plane currently is on the way to Newark.

We don't know what that means. (Greg Schiano.) We'll allow the "real" media to track that one down.

I do NOT want to see Brian Schott as HC of the Miami Dolphins-screw Wayne Huizinga-he's looking to spend the big bucks to try and make Miami World Champs so he could inflate the team's value to sell it-just like he did with the Marlins-he cares about one thing and one thing only $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is what you have to worry about when a team that is only supposed to win 4 games suddenly wins 10. Assistants get promoted around the league pretty quickly. I don't think he'll leave this season, but if the Jets have another successful season he will be a hot commodity. By the way, the only reason you guys got Schottenheimer is because the Browns blocked you from grabbing our O-line coach (Davidson) by making him Asst. head coach. Right about now you guys are looking really smart, and we're looking really stupid.

The ability to hire an assistant coach from another team depends on their particular contract. Most contracts state that if the assistant coach is offered a promotion for another team then his team can either match the promotion or let him go. You don't need to give up draft picks or money unless you're going after a head coach or front office exec.

but can we get something for it?

Not as long as it's a promotion.

If he was (in theory) being interviewed for, and accepted, a job as Miami's OC - then we'd be entitled to compensation. What compensation I don't know b/c nobody does that with coordinators & below. And they shouldn't be doing it with HC's either.

Before the season began, all we heard was nonsense about Mangini and Schott being too young and how stupid we were for signing them, and that Woody should sell the team. A lot of posters around the 'net jumped on that bandwagon. Now our allegedly young OC is already getting HC offers/interviews. So much for that garbage huh? This is why I ignore the media.

I'm not sure I'd be too upset with the guy leaving... I was left desiring much in terms of the offensive playcalling many times this year

It was good, but stubborn at times this year...

And they didnt know when the BSmith stuff got old and figured out...

Also they were crazy enough to start Blaylock for almost the entire 1st quarter of the season...

It was good, but stubborn at times this year...

And they didnt know when the BSmith stuff got old and figured out...

Also they were crazy enough to start Blaylock for almost the entire 1st quarter of the season...

Yeah, it's his first year calling plays. If he's not the greatest OC of all time by then, he'll never get it right.

Blaylock hardly started almost the entire first quarter of the season. He started game 1 & did crappy. They let him start game 2 & he still did crappy. After his 6th carry in week 2 the Jets never handed the ball off to him the rest of the season.

The BSmith stuff was brought out a lot b/c somebody had to think of a non-handoff play that didn't involve Chad throwing the ball 4 yards with 8 yards of air underneath it.

I doubt it happens this year, but I will be upset if/when Schott is taken.

Yeah, it's his first year calling plays. If he's not the greatest OC of all time by then, he'll never get it right.

Blaylock hardly started almost the entire first quarter of the season. He started game 1 & did crappy. They let him start game 2 & he still did crappy. After his 6th carry in week 2 the Jets never handed the ball off to him the rest of the season.

The BSmith stuff was brought out a lot b/c somebody had to think of a non-handoff play that didn't involve Chad throwing the ball 4 yards with 8 yards of air underneath it.

I doubt it happens this year, but I will be upset if/when Schott is taken.

I love the guy, just trying to point out whatever flaws I could think of... Im sure he will get better and better.... hopefully him and Mangini are still on the same page....

Archived