Carriker VS. RT

drago

3 pressing needs on the Jets

Corner

Right Tackle

DE/DT

Corner will probably be a FA fix. As for the other two, I see the inability to run as a more pressing issue than stopping the run. If we do pick up a corner (as most of us expect) that should help the run to a degree.

If we run the ball next year as we did this year, its putting more pressure on everyone's favorite Chad to throw 40 times a game.

IMO RT needs to be the 1st round choice.

Corner

Right Tackle

DE/DT

Corner will probably be a FA fix. As for the other two, I see the inability to run as a more pressing issue than stopping the run. If we do pick up a corner (as most of us expect) that should help the run to a degree.

If we run the ball next year as we did this year, its putting more pressure on everyone's favorite Chad to throw 40 times a game.

We spent our first two picks last year on OL. Like Chad said if we want a stud on defense in this draft, we need to use our first rounder.

We spent our first two picks last year on OL. Like Chad said if we want a stud on defense in this draft, we need to use our first rounder.

stud DE's are usually top 10 pick. there are pently of Tackles available later, like you said. It never hurts to be very good in one area, (granted we would be giving up a bit on D)

as for corners, not too often you find a great corner that late in the draft. Don't quote me the Bear corners since they play more drop zone, they don't have to cover guys like Surtain used to, or Hall does now.

Corner

Right Tackle

DE/DT

Can we add RB to this list?

Sporting News bottom line on Carriker.. Sounds like another Anthony Schlegal

Bottom line: Carriker is a tough prospect to grade because he is tackle/end 'tweener. He is not a good athlete and does not produce at a high level. He has the size and strength to be a solid two-gap tackle in a 4-3 scheme or end in a 3-4 defense, but he is not going to make many impact plays.

Bottom line: Carriker is a tough prospect to grade because he is tackle/end 'tweener. He is not a good athlete and does not produce at a high level. He has the size and strength to be a solid two-gap tackle in a 4-3 scheme or end in a 3-4 defense, but he is not going to make many impact plays.

more like AJ Hawk than Anthony Schlegel

it won't be an issue for Jets fans, Carriker is not making it out of the top 15. he's beastly.

I think we definitely need a RT, but we also need a RB for him to block for. Leon is great but he needs a partner in crime. Obviously a DT/corner are needs on D as well, and hopefully we'll get all of those positions sorted out in the draft.

I say, take the best available player at any of those positions.

All I know is that he was all over the field in the Senior Bowl on Saturday. And he WAS making impact plays. Of course that was only one game.

Justin Blalock or Aaron Sears are the RT prospects the Jets would be looking at and one or both of them will be available to us in the 2nd round.

Manuel Ramirez is a good RG prospect and he will most likely be there at Round 3.

There are plenty of needs the Jets should fill but probably the biggest one is quarterback. After that NT since Dewayne Robertson is not a real 3-4 NT, then RB, then RT, RG, DE, and LG.

Justin Blalock or Aaron Sears are the RT prospects the Jets would be looking at and one or both of them will be available to us in the 2nd round.

Manuel Ramirez is a good RG prospect and he will most likely be there at Round 3.

There are plenty of needs the Jets should fill but probably the biggest one is quarterback. After that NT since Dewayne Robertson is not a real 3-4 NT, then RB, then RT, RG, DE, and LG.

Earth to Pete, Earth to Pete , I'm hoping that you are not TOO far up North that the cold weather froze your brain. ;) NFW the Jets are using a 1st round pick on a QB. There's just too many other needs like DL or RB. Taking a RT in the 2nd round is a possibility since we have 2 picks in that round.

Earth to Pete, Earth to Pete , I'm hoping that you are not TOO far up North that the cold weather froze your brain. ;) NFW the Jets are using a 1st round pick on a QB. There's just too many other needs like DL or RB. Taking a RT in the 2nd round is a possibility since we have 2 picks in that round.

Ofcourse we're not using a first round pick on a QB. The two good QB's in the draft will be long gone by the time we pick. Still, it is our biggest need.

I think we will use our first rounder on bpa. The wr position is real deep, rb as we've seen can be had in the later rounds, as well as guards. we will probably get a very good cb in fa. so wichever bpa available in those other area's we will probably go after.

Everybody seems to think it's a given that we'll get a top FA corner. I agree we'll go after one, but all the teams have $$ this year and we aren't the only ones that figured out that Samuel and Clements are good.

Everybody seems to think it's a given that we'll get a top FA corner. I agree we'll go after one, but all the teams have $$ this year and we aren't the only ones that figured out that Samuel and Clements are good.

If we get a top tier corner, I don't think we can pass on a RT. I realize that RB is a weak spot on the field, but we can survive with what we have. Having a good RT would make avg RB's look really good. If you want proof of that look at the Chiefs. Priest holmes gets hurt, insert Derrick Blaylock.

Behind a ****ty line Blaylock shows his true colors. What's to stop Cedric Houston from looking like the Blaylock from the chiefs, behind a good line? It seems like we would be jumping the gun to get a good RB now, behind a suspect line. A good back will still get stuffed if there is a defender in his face right when he gets the ball.

I also realize a rookie RT will not be Will Shields right away, but it does put the wheels in motion for years to come. And at that point no one will care who the back is as long as we keep getting 100 yard games.

If we get a top tier corner, I don't think we can pass on a RT. I realize that RB is a weak spot on the field, but we can survive with what we have. Having a good RT would make avg RB's look really good. If you want proof of that look at the Chiefs. Priest holmes gets hurt, insert Derrick Blaylock.

Behind a ****ty line Blaylock shows his true colors. What's to stop Cedric Houston from looking like the Blaylock from the chiefs, behind a good line? It seems like we would be jumping the gun to get a good RB now, behind a suspect line. A good back will still get stuffed if there is a defender in his face right when he gets the ball.

I also realize a rookie RT will not be Will Shields right away, but it does put the wheels in motion for years to come. And at that point no one will care who the back is as long as we keep getting 100 yard games.

ding ding ding

We have a winner

Good post.

I don't have anything against the general idea. If we help the D in FA draft O, build the lines first. Problem is there are only so many good OTs. Suppose Thomas, Levi Brown, Blalock and Ugoh are all gone. Do you pick say Sears-just because he's an OT? I think that's a recipe for disaster. RT is an awfully specific position to decide you're going to automatically draft one.

Personally, I feel DLine is a bigger problem than OLine. We need a starting DE and depth at all spots. I will not be crying or surprised if Ellis and DRob are the only two that return from that group next year.

I don't have anything against the general idea. If we help the D in FA draft O, build the lines first. Problem is there are only so many good OTs. Suppose Thomas, Levi Brown, Blalock and Ugoh are all gone. Do you pick say Sears-just because he's an OT? I think that's a recipe for disaster. RT is an awfully specific position to decide you're going to automatically draft one.

I agree with you there, if the top 3 RT's are not available there is no reason to draft one. I will also admitt to not knowing much about NCAA this year, but history shows tackles tend to be avaible late first round. Winston Justice, Eric Winston, McNeil. Not to mention Mangold was projected as the best center in the draft...i think that was undisputed...and he slid all the way to 29.

Overall I just think there will be a better RT than there will be RB/DE.

If Carriker is there, well then i guess its decsion time.

I agree with you there, if the top 3 RT's are not available there is no reason to draft one. I will also admitt to not knowing much about NCAA this year, but history shows tackles tend to be avaible late first round. Winston Justice, Eric Winston, McNeil. Not to mention Mangold was projected as the best center in the draft...i think that was undisputed...and he slid all the way to 29.

Overall I just think there will be a better RT than there will be RB/DE.

If Carriker is there, well then i guess its decsion time.

McNeill, Justice and Winston were taken second round and later. Same goes for Andrew Whitworth, Ryan O'Callaghan, and Jeremy Trueblood. You can always find good offensive linemen later in the draft.

Look at our own history. Jason Fabini was a 4th round pick, Kareem Mackenzie was a 3rd round pick. Ryan Young 7th round.

Derrick Blaylock sucks. Ditto for Houston and Barlow. You can have five hall of famers blocking for them and they would still blow. Leon Washington can get a a 4.0 ypc behind our crappy o-line but Barlow and Houston it's 1 yard and dust every play. You either have talent or you don't and our backfield is seriously lacking in it.

McNeill, Justice and Winston were taken second round and later. Same goes for Andrew Whitworth, Ryan O'Callaghan, and Jeremy Trueblood. You can always find good offensive linemen later in the draft.

Look at our own history. Jason Fabini was a 4th round pick, Kareem Mackenzie was a 3rd round pick. Ryan Young 7th round.

Derrick Blaylock sucks. Ditto for Houston and Barlow. You can have five hall of famers blocking for them and they would still blow. Leon Washington can get a a 4.0 ypc behind our crappy o-line but Barlow and Houston it's 1 yard and dust every play. You either have talent or you don't and our backfield is seriously lacking in it.

KC Chiefs had two sure fire probowlers (Roaf, Shields) along with a pretty good gaurd (Waters) and it made the same Derrick Blaylock look good enough to the Jets to sign. Funny how that works.

I don't agree with your estimation of any of our backs (except Leon), all of them can play. None of them are top 15 in the league, but that wouldn't matter if we had a line in place.

I do agree with your idea of draft Linemen in later rounds, to a point. You listed three good ones, and I could list quite a few more on multiple teams (packers, pats, colts), but there are more bad linemen drafted in those rounds than good ones. The good ones are there, don't get me wrong, its only a better bet to grab them early.

Nah,Cedric is a good back and could make it with some run blocking.Hes like a Dillon type back very strong and deceptively fast.Should we upgrade? sure.But Cedric is a keeper in my opinion,he just needs to stay healthy.As for Barlow he does blow goat,we need to dump him for a 7th.

Dude, the only good player there is McNeil. Trueblood, Callaghan, Whitworth all blew this year, Trueblood and Callaghan esp suck it hard.

Justice might be good, but he didnt even sniff snaps this year did he? How about trex armed Winston?

Dude, the only good player there is McNeil. Trueblood, Callaghan, Whitworth all blew this year, Trueblood and Callaghan esp suck it hard.

Justice might be good, but he didnt even sniff snaps this year did he? How about trex armed Winston?

They were rookies. Funny how D'Brickashaw Ferguson can give up sacks left and right and can't run-block but the rookie excuse works for him and not other players. McNeill is a phenom and has already played at a superstar level in the NFL with no experience but very few players can do that.

As for the earlier post comparing Cedric Houston to Corey Dillon give me a break. He is a scrub. I'm becoming more and more amazed with the propensity of Jets fans to overrate their own players.

Blaylock also stinks. He is slow, has no moves and does not run hard. T-Baum better cut this loser.

But then again, this is the site where people argued to me that Doug Jolley was a good tight end and that Brooks Bollinger should be our QB of the future.

Archived