Justin Miller is the answer at CB

BoomBoomMancini

I think a lot of you guys forget how raw Miller was when we drafted him..

He was 20 years old for god sakes..

He has recieved a lot of playing time at CB over the last two years and maybe his ball skills are finally good enough to be a starter in this leauge..

The guy never gets burned.. He just never looks at the ball and gets a pass interference call.

The guy never gets burned.. He just never looks at the ball and gets a pass interference call.

Exactly, he is teachable. You cant teach his natural ability but his problems can be fixed.

We can only hope he is a starter for us, it would save a lot of money....

In Mangini we trust...

I don't know if he is the answer at CB or SS for us but Brandon Merriweather proved at the senior bowl that he is the answer.

I would have no problem if we made him our first pick at # 25. The guy can cover man to man, create turnovers, and hit like a truck.

But did he stay at a holiday inn express last night?? lol

On a serious note...

How would he do against NFL level talent though?

No way we take Merriweather in the 1st. I doubt we even look at him cause Mangini doesn't like character issues.

I think he'll be a steal for someone in the 3rd, maybe 2nd round. He has a lot of talent. Only problem is he's kinda like a safety in a CBs body. He hits hard though and can cover well and is a playmaker. He's kinda like a hybrid CB/S to me. IMO, he'll do fine against NFL competition.

But did he stay at a holiday inn express last night?? lol

On a serious note...

How would he do against NFL level talent though?

The senior bowl is about as close as it gets to NFL talent for college players. Many of the players in that game will go in round one and many more will go on the first day of the draft.

While he did stomp on some kid's head, his character issues are overblown. Someone will take this kid in round one and I hope it is the Jets.

He definitely has the skills he plays very well in bump and run, but he has some of the worse mental breakdowns. He'll do something randomly stupid or uneeded and get the jets penalty that was not needed. If he learns to calm down he'll be a very good corner.

He definitely has the skills he plays very well in bump and run, but he has some of the worse mental breakdowns. He'll do something randomly stupid or uneeded and get the jets penalty that was not needed. If he learns to calm down he'll be a very good corner.

Are you talking about Justin Miller??? LOL

yea

Wanted to know if you were talking about the CB they wanted to draft or Miller...

Miller needs to control his emotions and learn to turn his head.. if he can do that he will be VERY good...

Maybe we can play him at FS?

I'm thinking it's a big, fat 'no', the kind like when little kids wag their heads from side to side, whipping their arms back and forth, sing-songing, "Nononononono!" "Are you hungry?" "Nonononono!" "Thirsty?" "Nonononono!" "Justin Miller's CB skills?" "Nonononono!" I'd love to be wrong on this.

I'm thinking it's a big, fat 'no', the kind like when little kids wag their heads from side to side, whipping their arms back and forth, sing-songing, "Nononononono!" "Are you hungry?" "Nonononono!" "Thirsty?" "Nonononono!" "Justin Miller's CB skills?" "Nonononono!" I'd love to be wrong on this.

So i live in wisconsin, and have seen, very recently, a ****ty corner that has all the 'tools' but can't hack-it. Miller has a lot of the same problems as Ahmed Carroll...the difference is, miller doesn't suck...miller can be helped, he could be good, and i'm hoping better than just a Nickle back.

So i live in wisconsin, and have seen, very recently, a ****ty corner that has all the 'tools' but can't hack-it. Miller has a lot of the same problems as Ahmed Carroll...the difference is, miller doesn't suck...miller can be helped, he could be good, and i'm hoping better than just a Nickle back.

He just doesn't seem to have the instinctual tools there. Again, I'd love to be wrong.

http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26690&page=2&highlight=Corner

Scroll through. In the Dept of Redundacy Dept. Dept., I'd love to be wrong. :)

I'm not giving up on him either due to his exceptional physical skills. Right now, he brings new meaning to the term spazz. I don't care who we have coaching the backfield, Mangini knows the importance of solid corners and also how to train him if he's trainable. He's certainly on the right team for a good evaluation and in a program that will keep him very focused.

Exactly, he is teachable. You cant teach his natural ability but his problems can be fixed.

We can only hope he is a starter for us, it would save a lot of money....

In Mangini we trust...

I agree. He's not awful. He needs some work, but its not like he's me (me being hopelessly unable to cope with the rigors of playing football at any level above "flag").

Stopping the run is a far bigger concern for us on defense. Our run defense was absolutely awful last year. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can run on us. Our front 7 made Justin Fargas of the Raiders look like a good back.

Carriker will improve our run defense but Robertson, Vilma and Barton are still playing out of scheme. Shaun Ellis sucks and except for a couple good years in '03 and '04 would be considered an NFL bust. We can spend big free agent bucks on Clements or Samuel but teams will still be able to run all day on us.

Stopping the run is a far bigger concern for us on defense. Our run defense was absolutely awful last year. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can run on us. Our front 7 made Justin Fargas of the Raiders look like a good back.

yeah they did. I thought for a moment that Fargas son of a bitch was goinmg to ruin my new years eve.

Carriker will improve our run defense but Robertson, Vilma and Barton are still playing out of scheme. Shaun Ellis sucks and except for a couple good years in '03 and '04 would be considered an NFL bust. We can spend big free agent bucks on Clements or Samuel but teams will still be able to run all day on us.

Did you seriously just call Ellis a Bust???? wow, that's pushing it, he had a good season this year too. DE's in a 34 don't typically get a ton of sacks, his numbers were right on this year. I think he's one of the top 4 defenders we have, for better or for worse...

I think you dont put enough value into what having another good CB can do...

IT WILL help with the run, this year we needed to keep a CB on each WR and most of the time both SS and FS back to help out...

if we had another good cover CB we could use Rhodes and whoever is FS to cause some pressure up front and at least be able to come up quick to make hits rather than drop 20 yards downfield right away...

Improving your pass D in turn improves the run D automatically just becuase of what you can do scheme wise...

I think you dont put enough value into what having another good CB can do...

IT WILL help with the run, this year we needed to keep a CB on each WR and most of the time both SS and FS back to help out...

if we had another good cover CB we could use Rhodes and whoever is FS to cause some pressure up front and at least be able to come up quick to make hits rather than drop 20 yards downfield right away...

Improving your pass D in turn improves the run D automatically just becuase of what you can do scheme wise...

good post ecurb.

our front 7 needs some serious help though.

good post ecurb.

our front 7 needs some serious help though.

I know, I just cant stress the importance of having someone other than Hank Poteat as a starting CB for the JETS...

Sure Kimo was not good for us, but think about the rotating door we had at RCB...

Fill that spot with Samuels, now we can blitz more often, in turn taking away deep routes from teams becuase they will need quick passes to avoid the potential blitz... even when you dont blitz they know you can becuase your corners can cover 1 on 1 without help... so at any given time you could bring the house...

Obviously we need help up front but I think getting a solid RCB is just as important.

Miller actually made some nice plays after he lost the starting job,perhaps losing the pressure of a starting job made him more at ease.

I'm eager to see what he's like after another of Mangini's training camps.

I know, I just cant stress the importance of having someone other than Hank Poteat as a starting CB for the JETS...

Sure Kimo was not good for us, but think about the rotating door we had at RCB...

Fill that spot with Samuels, now we can blitz more often, in turn taking away deep routes from teams becuase they will need quick passes to avoid the potential blitz... even when you dont blitz they know you can becuase your corners can cover 1 on 1 without help... so at any given time you could bring the house...

Obviously we need help up front but I think getting a solid RCB is just as important.

I agree ten fold. that other corner slot is the key to the entire defense.

Kimo's numbers will never rise significantly, but his play can be masked by having another quality defeneder on the field. The jets seem to struggle when they play just running teams, because we stack the box, but even a weak passing team can find space against Barrett/miller/poteat. Fix that, and we can stack the box...everyone will play better.

Another CB would be nice, but at least we had a revolving door there. If we had any decent DL players Kimo wouldn't have seen much time at all. The guy sucked and he's ancient. I don't see much hope in him improving no matter who we have behind/next to him.

Another CB would be nice, but at least we had a revolving door there. If we had any decent DL players Kimo wouldn't have seen much time at all. The guy sucked and he's ancient. I don't see much hope in him improving no matter who we have behind/next to him.

If we dont get another CB we could have the best DE in the world and the QBs are still going to crush us on that side...

Do you know how many games this year would have been different if QBs couldnt eat us alive with 10-20yd passes on that side?? We had to sink the Safties back to stop TDs becuase we knew we couldnt stop the pass...

I know we need to get rid of Kimo but I know for sure that CB is bigger need.

I really hope Mangini works some magic and turns Miller into the starter we all want him to be...

If we dont get another CB we could have the best DE in the world and the QBs are still going to crush us on that side...

Do you know how many games this year would have been different if QBs couldnt eat us alive with 10-20yd passes on that side?? We had to sink the Safties back to stop TDs becuase we knew we couldnt stop the pass...

I know we need to get rid of Kimo but I know for sure that CB is bigger need.

I really hope Mangini works some magic and turns Miller into the starter we all want him to be...

?!? At cb, we have a fairly top level cover cb in Dyson, a solid starter in Barret, a high #2 pick that only dropped in the draft because of his character issues, a guy that knows the system and plays decently and a late round pick that performed quite well. At DE we have a 900 year old man that did very little more than a blocking sled. As his backup we have an 800 year old man that was picked up off waivers. I'll take my chances with the cbs. The RUN D is the primary problem.

?!? At cb, we have a fairly top level cover cb in Dyson, a solid starter in Barret, a high #2 pick that only dropped in the draft because of his character issues, a guy that knows the system and plays decently and a late round pick that performed quite well. At DE we have a 900 year old man that did very little more than a blocking sled. As his backup we have an 800 year old man that was picked up off waivers. I'll take my chances with the cbs. The RUN D is the primary problem.

A solid starter in Barret?

He has his games. In big games he tends to really bring it.

Pittsburg '04, he shut down Burress. Even Cowher commented on Barrett after the game.

I was at the viking game this year, that pick he had in the 4th was a really nice play.

I realize its two instances, but he is not bad by any means. That said, we need an improvement.

Compared to this season's Kimo Barrett was Ronnie Lott. I'd love an upgrade, but Barrett is adequate. Biggest problem is he wasn't healthy all year. I don't have faith in Dyson staying healthy a full season either which is another reason I'd like another good corner, but the DL is in much worse shape than the secondary IMO.

i smell more of the same from tangini-- trench guys.

Agreed, but i don't see him trading, and we are all aware of the FA's this year. I have a bad feeling we will get the revolving door and RDE.

Tangini will get a corner, I don't see them leaning on what we have, and the chances of a franchise corner at 25? Slim to none.

Agreed, but i don't see him trading, and we are all aware of the FA's this year. I have a bad feeling we will get the revolving door and RDE.

Tangini will get a corner, I don't see them leaning on what we have, and the chances of a franchise corner at 25? Slim to none.

definitely agree-- these early mock drafts are even stupider this year b/c of the FA and $ situation. literally impossible to figure out who is going where.

Archived