San Fran Signs Clements

Iceman88

from PFT http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CLEMENTS BLOWS OUT THE CURVE

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Francisco 49ers have signed cornerback Nate Clements.

It's a mind-boggling eight-year, $80 million deal, with $22 million in guaranteed money, and it makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

Clements was expected to be pursued by several teams. But he never got out of San Fran.

Thank god we didn't pursue him that amount of money is absurd.

Yeah but that deal will come back and bite them in the ass.

only in the sense they probably won't be signing anyone else of consequence this offseason. If they structure that contract right,they can take the blunt of the guaranteed hit this year. I believe the vikings have been doing that the past few years. Its why they're consistently $30-40M under,and also why they'll be able to cut fred smoot this year with no consequence I believe.

That said,thats a ridiculous contract for anyone in the league,much less a CB. The niners shouldn't have blown their load on one guy,as they needed a lot more than a corner to continue to improve.

Now do you understand why its not great for the Jets to be going crazy after free agents this year. Contracts will be getting ridiculous for the top players.

This has NOTING to do with thomas. I never wanted Nate Clements. The numbers thomas is talking about is 7.5 million a year with a 17 million dollar SB with NE. If the jets let him go to NE for a reasonable contract like that they should just disband the franchise cause they aren't serious about really competing with NE.

He didn't sign a contract yet so NE will have to pay him market value or just keep franchising him.

I understand that. If he stays the Pats pay him $8-8.5 million. If he goes the Pats will get a 1st round pick.

I have no problem with that at all.

If the Jets don't extend Rhodes soon they will be in the same boat as the Pats.

I understand that. If he stays the Pats pay him $8-8.5 million. If he goes the Pats will get a 1st round pick.

I have no problem with that at all.

If the Jets don't extend Rhodes soon they will be in the same boat as the Pats.

I assure you the jets will treat Rhodes MUCH better then patsys will treat Samuel.

The guy is MAYBE a top ten cornerback.

Yet he is the highest paid defensive player in the history of professional football.

Mind boggling. These GMs that are signing guards to left tackle contracts and signing people like Nate Clements to David Beckham contracts are losing their ****ing minds.

The guy is MAYBE a top ten cornerback.

Yet he is the highest paid defensive player in the history of professional football.

Mind boggling. These GMs that are signing guards to left tackle contracts and signing people like Nate Clements to David Beckham contracts are losing their ****ing minds.

The thing that scares me the most is with the salary cap contiually rising each year right now this may become the norm.

According to PFT again

LEWIS SIGNS WITH NINERS

Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat reports the the 49ers have signed safety Michael Lewis, and that the Niners are close to signing nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin.

The Niners also have signed cornerback Nate Clements, arguably the top free agent on the market.

If the Niners sign the NT I have a strong feeling they want to go reciever or with Adam Carriker in the draft so if we want him we need to jump ahead.

clements isnt even that good....Samuels is good and did the 49ers over pay man. its going to bite them in the ass....watch clements will be out most of this on comming season with a groin injury.....the best corner in the league is Baily and he makes less then what the 49ers new over hyped corner makes

He is.

hes nto worth it..though if he is he should be able to shut down half the field be able to make 100 plus tackles, 10 plus int and 10 plus sacks....I dont think he can do that....the 49ers are going to get bitten in the ass

The highest paid ever NFL defender = Nate Clements:eek:

Not even a Top 3 NFL Cornerback and San Fran throws 8 years, $80 million towards his way. Clearly Nate was going for money as his top three choices were San Fran, Cleveland & Tennessee. Good for you Nate, San Fran may be improved and ready to make a playoff run in the weak NFC, but they arn't Super Bowl bound.

Archived