Pavano

jets22

Melky is off to a bad start, but it's all of 6 games into the season so I'm not too worried.

Glad to see the Yankees starting got back on track tonight. I'm pretty surprised that Pavano came up with such a good start but I'll certainly take it. And, as per usual, reports of the demise of the Yankees starting staff after 5 GAMES were just as absurd as they seemed.

Wait, so Melky is no longer J.C. in pinstripes? He's JAG, like I said he was all along? Shocker!

And you're basing this on...21 AB's? Boy that is some flawless logic there. :confused:

It's a long season, Troll. You may want to wait until, say, May at least, to declare yourself a genius.

Sometimes I just have to sit and shake my head when I read this stuff. This is one of those times. So now any player who doesn't hit over...what?? .350 or .400 in the first five or six game of the season is garbage and should be send down? People are unreal. It's a slump. They happen. Sometimes they happen early in the years. Sometimes the middle. Sometimes the end. If we're talking about a ten or twelve game slump there are A TON of players who have a few of those per season. If I didn't know any better I'd think this was the first week of baseball you'd ever seen.

Melky is a very good player who is off to a slow start. Remember when Giambi came here a few years back and his first month was HORRIBLE? Yeah, I do. Listen, Melky is no future 10 time All-Star but he's a very good outfiedler who one day will be an everyday starter. Just because he has struggled in his first five games doesn't mean jack.

Melky is a very good player who is off to a slow start. Remember when Giambi came here a few years back and his first month was HORRIBLE? Yeah, I do. Listen, Melky is no future 10 time All-Star but he's a very good outfiedler who one day will be an everyday starter. Just because he has struggled in his first five games doesn't mean jack.

He doesn't have enough power to start every day in a corner outfield spot for a good team. I could see him starting in CF for a 2nd tier team, not the yankees though.

He doesn't have enough power to start every day in a corner outfield spot for a good team. I could see him starting in CF for a 2nd tier team, not the yankees though.

Are you trying to tell me that Johnny Damon is a power hitter?:eek:

Damon is a CF not a corner outfielder and I doubt that Mekly will be as good as Damon.

So he has to be a power hitter like Ichiro or Carl Crawford was in his first couple of seasons (18 HR's in his first 1,500 career ABs).....That's what you mean?

Comparing him to those 2 players is foolish. He's nothing like them.

But he's a corner outfielder right? And wasn't your statement saying that he doesn't have enough power to be a corner outfielder?

As far as comparing him to Crawford....Crawford is faster and covers more ground in the OF. That's all he's got on Melky at this point in their careers. Melky has a better arm, better plate discipline, is a switch hitter, and has comprable power to Crawford early in his career. Yes, Crawford has elite speed and Melky only has above average speed.

Yes, Crawford has elite speed and Melky only has above average speed.

Thats a HUGE difference pal... Crawford can get away with things that every other player can't because of his amazing speed. Melky can't.

Carl Crawford without his speed is an avg player at best.

Thats a HUGE difference pal... Crawford can get away with things that every other player can't because of his amazing speed. Melky can't.

Carl Crawford without his speed is an avg player at best.

So it's okay to have an outfielder who hits for very little power so long as he can run really fast but Melky having a superior arm and better plate discipline means nothing? Right. Because why would you ever want a corner outfielder with a good arm?

I mean, I think Crawford is by far the better player..but for you to make a statement "he doesn't have enough power" and then spin it by saying "well, you don't need power if you can run fast" well..just sounds silly to me.

So it's okay to have an outfielder who hits for very little power so long as he can run really fast but Melky having a superior arm and better plate discipline means nothing? Right. Because why would you ever want a corner outfielder with a good arm?

I mean, I think Crawford is by far the better player..but for you to make a statement "he doesn't have enough power" and then spin it by saying "well, you don't need power if you can run fast" well..just sounds silly to me.

If you have something about your game that puts you in the top 1% of baseball players like Crawford does thats a special circumstance obviously but for the most part, corner outfielders need to hit for power. Having a good arm isn't enough. And if he's gonna have no power he better have a 400 OBP and i've seen no sign that he's gonna do that.

If you have something about your game that puts you in the top 1% of baseball players like Crawford does thats a special circumstance obviously but for the most part, corner outfielders need to hit for power. Having a good arm isn't enough. And if he's gonna have no power he better have a 400 OBP and i've seen no sign that he's gonna do that.

So a team could never win a string of rings with guys in the corner outfield spots who don't hit for power? Say...a bunch of guys starting and/or platooning like Tim Raines/Ricky Ledee/Chad Curits those kinds of guys could never start on a WS winner?

So a team could never win a string of rings with guys in the corner outfield spots who don't hit for power? Say...a bunch of guys starting and/or platooning like Tim Raines/Ricky Ledee/Chad Curits those kinds of guys could never start on a WS winner?

The cards won the world series with 83 wins. Does that mean that teams should try to win 83 games? Give me a break. Just because it's happened in the past doesn't mean thats how you should try to build a team. This just like BP telling me that because the yankees won titles with Brosius that they should get a role player like him instead of arod LOL.

You said that "good teams" need power corner outfielders to play for them. Your words not mine.

I just gave you a guy that was not a power guy in teh corner, and I thought had a pretty good career. I could name more if you would like.

He had 400+ OBP's most of his career. I said that if a corner outfielder is going to be a good player without any power they have to have something extraordinary about their game. Gwynn did. Thats why he's in the hall of fame.

What the hell does Tony Gwynn have to do with Melky? Jesus.

Mike, just so you have reference to what you originally said?

I see nothing about "extraordinary other" things there?????

Archived