Looking Back

Gainzo

Since BB resigned as the HC of the NYJ in 2000, the Pats have gone 75-37 while the Jets have posted a 58-54 record in the regular season.

BB was not a proven commodity back then as an HC, but both Parcells and Kraft had faith in him to be the HC of their respective franchises.

The Jets had four 1st round picks that year and selected:

Shaun Ellis

Jon Abraham

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

The Pats did not have a 1st round pick.

When they did draft they took stiffs like Adrian Klemm, JR Redmond, Greg Randall and Jeff Marriott.

Then in the sixth round they drafted a bloke named Tom Brady.

Do you think that the paths of the Jets and Pats would be reversed if BB had stayed on as the HC of the Jets?

Since BB resigned as the HC of the NYJ in 2000, the Pats have gone 75-37 while the Jets have posted a 58-54 record in the regular season.

BB was not a proven commodity back then as an HC, but both Parcells and Kraft had faith in him to be the HC of their respective franchises.

Shaun Ellis

Jon Abraham

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

When they did draft they took stiffs like Adrian Klemm, JR Redmond, Greg Randall and Jeff Marriott.

Do you think that the paths of the Jets and Pats would be reversed if BB had stayed on as the HC of the Jets?

Chuck Norris says.....

"Yes"

Shaun Ellis

Jon Abraham

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

Good question man...but who knows what really would have happened if BB stayed with the Jets. The two teams had 2 very different sets of players, with very different needs. The Jets wouldn't have waited til the 6th round to draft a QB, thus no Tom Brady, and there would never be the great duo of BB and Brady to lead a team. Not saying that BB cant win without Brady, or vice versa, but its impossible to say that they definately would.

You know Gainzo, this is a very touchy subject among most jet fans. I for one hate this man with every essence of my being. If belladick was on fire I wouldn't waste my spit on him to put him out. I can only think of all the championships the jets could and should of won with him as our coach. It's been taken away from me and I will never forgive the slimy piece of crap. If Belladick burns in hell he won't be punished enough.

Shaun Ellis

Jon Abraham

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

Yes,I do.

That was the major turning point for both organizations.continuity for the Patriots and instability and turmoil for the Jets,culminating in the hiring of the polar opposite of Bellichick.

After Vinny T had that INT in 2001 against the Patriots at the Meadowlands in the second half,I knew what kind of coach we had in Herm..he immediately turned the offense into a terrified scared turtle after that turnover,letting the Patriots right back in the game,and we all know what happened after that..had Herm been the coach of the Patriots against the Rams in the super bowl in 2001,he sits on the ball and loses in OT,but that's alright with him.

The Jets also would have had Pioli..so who knows..maybe we draft Brady in 2000 instead of the Pats.

Shaun Ellis

Jon Abraham

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

No... I doubt it. Woody wouldnt have allowed Belichick the freedom he had in Foxboro. Plus the pressure of succeding Parcells and the NY media would have screwed him up... And dont forget the easy access to his mistress.... he wouldnt have time to gameplan.

Would we have won any superbowls? My answer is no. Just would have been a little more exciting

You know Gainzo, this is a very touchy subject among most jet fans. I for one hate this man with every essence of my being. If belladick was on fire I wouldn't waste my spit on him to put him out. I can only think of all the championships the jets could and should of won with him as our coach. It's been taken away from me and I will never forgive the slimy piece of crap. If Belladick burns in hell he won't be punished enough.

You just summed up the way I feel about that POS, Parcells.

Parcells screwed the Pats in '96 when he was on the phone during Super Bowl week (The Pats were in the SB and Parcells was the HC) talking with the Jets about becoming their new HC.

Parcells didn't even fly back to Boston with the team after the Pats lost the SB. He already had a new job.

You just summed up the way I feel about that POS, Parcells.

Parcells screwed the Pats in '96 when he was on the phone during Super Bowl week (The Pats were in the SB and Parcells was the HC) talking with the Jets about becoming their new HC.

Parcells didn't even fly back to Boston with the team after the Pats lost the SB. He already had a new job.

Parcells is alright in my book..he saved the Jets from the Kotite era..something only he could do at that place and time.

Yes,I do.

That was the major turning point for both organizations.continuity for the Patriots and instability and turmoil for the Jets,culminating in the hiring of the polar opposite of Bellichick.

After Vinny T had that INT in 2001 against the Patriots at the Meadowlands in the second half,I knew what kind of coach we had in Herm..he immediately turned the offense into a terrified scared turtle after that turnover,letting the Patriots right back in the game,and we all know what happened after that..had Herm been the coach of the Patriots against the Rams in the super bowl in 2001,he sits on the ball and loses in OT,but that's alright with him.

The Jets also would have had Pioli..so who knows..maybe we draft Brady in 2000 instead of the Pats.

The Jets also would have had Pioli That would have been huge.

Who was the Jets GM back in 2000? Was it Bradway?

If memory serves me correctly(and thats not a sure thing)...i think Parcells was GM for an extra year, and Bradway came on in 01

I think Belichick is a POS, but I blame Parcells for most of the mess. He wanted to step down as coach, but do us a "favor" by staying on as GM. Little Bill didn't want to be in Big Bill's shadow so he ran back to the Pats. If you ask me they are both egomaniacal scumbag mercenaries.

I don't think the Pats would have won much without him, but Belly being here wouldn't guarantee any Jet super bowls. He's never been an offensive genius and without Brady has had very little success as HC. People can rationalize his failure in Cleaveland with the move, but his record speaks for itself. IIRC, his first year in NE he did worse than Pete Carrol the year prior. IMHO he desperately needed an offensive force to go along with his defensive game-planning. That fag Brady provided that in spades.

The GM was Parcells,with Groh as HC

I think neither team would be where they are now.

The dynamic Bill brings up is interesting to consider.

Obviously, Belichick did not want to be associated with Par$ells anymore. The new ownership of the Jets just compounded the matter. Could Belichick co-exist in an environment with Par$ells calling the shots? Probably not.

The marriage of Kraft and Belichick was sewn in 1996. Belichick's philosphy on running a team meshes well with Kraft's. Pioli obviously buys into the same line of thinking.

IMHO if Belichick had stayed. Par$ells would have eventually run off Belichick. Belichick would have eventually landed in New England and with Pioli started to rebuild.

Now, it is obvious Belichick and Pioli know what they are doing. Whether they could build a dynasty without Tom Brady is another thing.

Shaun Ellis

Jon Abraham

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

Probably. Piouli drafted Brady but I don't know how much input Belichik had in that decision. Still, even without Brady I think Belly was obviously a much better HC than Al Groh and Herm Edwards and he probably would have done a lot of damage with Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin both in their primes, maybe even won a Super Bowl.

Who knows where Brady ends up in this scenario. If NE still drafts Brady they probably still win 1 or 2 SB's. If Brady ends up somewhere else Drew Bledsoe would still be their QB to this very day.

Belichick Knew his coaching carrer was over,

If he accepted the HC position while Parcells Became the GM.

All success of the Jets would go to Parcells and the team he built,

While any failure would be placed directly on Belichick.

While Belichick/Pioli get well deserved props from many,

the man behind the drafting of Tom Brady was Dick Rehbein.

Archived