Herman Edwards, ladies and genlemen

Matt39

"You don't want to make one guy run the ball 400 times," Edwards said earlier this offseason to the Star. "You won't see that anymore. You won't see it. We'll get Michael Bennett in the mix, and you might have to get another back. There might be three backs. ... (With two backs) as soon as you get one nicked, then you only have one. You're out of business all of a sudden. You have to change your offense."

:confused0058:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:confused0058:

Christ almighty....how many times can one man repeat the same thing and not stick to it? Lamont Jordan heard it for three years....He said the same thing last off-season so I guess that makes it five consecutive off-seasons that he has made the same exact statement and has yet to stick to it. Dick.

I think Jets fans are going to have a lot of satisfaction next year. It's going to be a long year for Herm.

Why would that be satisfing for Jet fans? all I care about is the Jets winning. parcells skipped out on us, cost us belichick and gave us Groh and still didn't care whether he won or lost in Dallas so why should we are if Herm wins or loses? We are in good hape right now, that's all we should be worried about.

Why would that be satisfing for Jet fans? all I care about is the Jets winning. parcells skipped out on us, cost us belichick and gave us Groh and still didn't care whether he won or lost in Dallas so why should we are if Herm wins or loses? We are in good hape right now, that's all we should be worried about.

Clearly you do care. Though there was a lot more Jets/football chatter at the time, 111 of your first 150 posts here (74%) were either bashing Parcells or defending Herm. You've were more one-tracked in your posts than any of the many posters who ripped on Herm.

Despite Parcells' faults (and he had many, particularly as a GM with regard to his first 3 drafts, most fans look back at the Parcells era as a positive one. Turning around a franchise that went 1-15 (and 3-13 before that), taking us to the AFC championship game (with a halftime lead) in year two, and not seeing another sub-.500 season for our Jets until after his departure. We went from being an automatic win on other teams' schedules to being a tough opponent overnight.

Herm's teams got progressively worse, with the lone exception of 2004 when we were granted that joke schedule that made us look far better than we were.

Further, Tuna's "departure" when he stepped down as HC was done with the idea of keeping the Jets stronger & the Pats weaker by preventing Belichick from going there. Herm's departure was done purely for his own benefit and seemed all too content with screwing over the team that gave him a head coaching opportunity before anyone considered hiring him as a coordinator.

Yet your anti-Parcells posts outweigh your pro-Parcells posts by a large margin. And it's even more skewed from the opposite direction with regard to Herm.

It is not at all unnatural for someone to take pleasure in the failure of someone who he feels scorned his favorite team. If you think it's just people who frequent Jets message boards that feel this way, listen closely to the fans' reactions to Herm at the Dec 30th game this year.

Clearly you do care. Though there was a lot more Jets/football chatter at the time, 111 of your first 150 posts here (74%) were either bashing Parcells or defending Herm. You've were more one-tracked in your posts than any of the many posters who ripped on Herm.

Despite Parcells' faults (and he had many, particularly as a GM with regard to his first 3 drafts, most fans look back at the Parcells era as a positive one. Turning around a franchise that went 1-15 (and 3-13 before that), taking us to the AFC championship game (with a halftime lead) in year two, and not seeing another sub-.500 season for our Jets until after his departure. We went from being an automatic win on other teams' schedules to being a tough opponent overnight.

Herm's teams got progressively worse, with the lone exception of 2004 when we were granted that joke schedule that made us look far better than we were.

Further, Tuna's "departure" when he stepped down as HC was done with the idea of keeping the Jets stronger & the Pats weaker by preventing Belichick from going there. Herm's departure was done purely for his own benefit and seemed all too content with screwing over the team that gave him a head coaching opportunity before anyone considered hiring him as a coordinator.

Yet your anti-Parcells posts outweigh your pro-Parcells posts by a large margin. And it's even more skewed from the opposite direction with regard to Herm.

It is not at all unnatural for someone to take pleasure in the failure of someone who he feels scorned his favorite team. If you think it's just people who frequent Jets message boards that feel this way, listen closely to the fans' reactions to Herm at the Dec 30th game this year.

I don't care but I do have to set people straight when I see misinformationa nd this site is consumed w/ misinformation about Her,

I love parcells but he left w/o getting the job done and he cost us Belichick and left us Groh but I still like him. Herm left us and it looks like we upgraded at HC and got a draft pick so why would I be mad at Herm?

How did herm's teams get progressively worse? he took over a team that msised the playoffs 2 straight years then mande it in his 1st year, in year 2 thy won the div and won a playof game then in year 4 they made the playoffs again and were cloer to the title game. How did they prgressively worse?

Whatever BP's inent was he cost us Belichick and gave us Groh.

Why don't yo take pleasure in BP's failings since he scorned us? it's just Herm for some reason. I don't care if herm wins another game, i didnt' care if BP won another game but I didn't and don't root against either. I appreciated what parcells did in turning around the franchise and I appreciated what Herm did in getting us to become an annual playoff team. Whether either succeeds or fails somewhere esle means nothing to me, just want the Jets to win while you guys are just consumed w/ hatred for herm and seem to care more about Herm losses than Jet wins.

I don't care what reaction he gets 12/30. He's the opponent and I want to crush KC and hopfully we ave playoff position secured or need it to get in.

Whether either succeeds or fails somewhere esle means nothing to me, just want the Jets to win while you guys are just consumed w/ hatred for herm and seem to care more about Herm losses than Jet wins.

You may not care, and it may mean nothing to you as you say, but apparently some people do care, and it does mean something to them. Who are you to constantly come in here and try to tell people to get over it? If they want to hate him, let them. It's their choice to hate him and not yours to make their choice for them.

If you don't like the Herm bashing, don't read the thread. Simple.

Don't you have more Namath-bashing to do over on TGG anyway?

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious?????????

This guy has been bashing our one true hero?

If true we may have to order a psych exam..

If he has any sense he would use that energy and be bashing Duke. Any UNC fan knows that when you aren't praising your team you bash the enemy. :)

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious?????????

This guy has been bashing our one true hero?

If true we may have to order a psych exam..

Not bashing just telling the truth. The man put up poor #s and guided us to just 2 playoff appearances- he is the most overrated player in the history of sports. he was as physically gifted as any QB to ever play but injuries robbed him of his full potential, typical Jets luck.

You may not care, and it may mean nothing to you as you say, but apparently some people do care, and it does mean something to them. Who are you to constantly come in here and try to tell people to get over it? If they want to hate him, let them. It's their choice to hate him and not yours to make their choice for them.

If you don't like the Herm bashing, don't read the thread. Simple.

Don't you have more Namath-bashing to do over on TGG anyway?

It's time for people to get over it and worry about their team. There are new threads about Herm all the time here, it's embarrassing that jet fans worry more about Herm than they do the Jets.

The man put up poor #s and guided us to just 2 playoff appearances- he is the most overrated player in the history of sports. he was as physically gifted as any QB to ever play but injuries robbed him of his full potential, typical Jets luck.

Wow.

You do realize he is the ONLY qb to guide the Jets to the superbowl and win it for them right?

I guess you think Dean Smith was a bad coach and Michael Jordan wasn't talented.

Wow.

You do realize he is the ONLY qb to guide the Jets to the superbowl and win it for them right?

I guess you think Dean Smith was a bad coach and Michael Jordan wasn't talented.

Dean won year after year and made a million FFs, Jordan won 7 Championships and was a dominant player. yes I appreciate that Namath helped us win our only title but the facts are the man threw 47 more INts than TDs in his career- I could overlook some of the #s if he won more but the facts are he guided us to just 2 postseasons. I hate exposing the myth of Namath since he is the face of the franchie but I have to be honest.

Since you asked... I do hate BP for the situation he left us in, and BB too. He's an ass. But unlike Herm, they do have some skill at coaching; and I respect that about them (if nothing else). Herm has no skill. I've hated him since his first season here, because I couldn't stand his retarded play-calling and player handling. I did try to give him a chance, hoping he'd come around and realize that you have to score points to win games. And that "bending" 10 yards on defence, is at least one yard too many. I hate Herm because he doesn't deserve a job coaching in the NFL. He hardly deserves a job coaching in the pee wee leagues.

Since you asked... I do hate BP for the situation he left us in, and BB too. He's an ass. But unlike Herm, they do have some skill at coaching; and I respect that about them (if nothing else). Herm has no skill. I've hated him since his first season here, because I couldn't stand his retarded play-calling and player handling. I did try to give him a chance, hoping he'd come around and realize that you have to score points to win games. And that "bending" 10 yards on defence, is at least one yard too many. I hate Herm because he doesn't deserve a job coaching in the NFL. He hardly deserves a job coaching in the pee wee leagues.

Herm has made the playoffs 4 of 6 years, he doesn' deserve a job in coching? he took 2 teams in tsoe 4 of 6 years that weren't exactly playoff regulars when he took over.

I don't care whether you guys like him as a coach but get over his departure already. belichick screwed us worse than Herm did by a long shot and Jet fans hate him less than Herm.

. I hate exposing the myth of Namath since he is the face of the franchie but I have to be honest.

what a joke,,

no one ever said he had great great #s,,

but he engineered the greatest upset in football History and gave us our only SB,, due to that , there is no myth,, he is a legend, both to us as Jet fans and to the world of football for changing the game in peoples eyes when he won SBIII in a new innovative way over the old way of playing football.

what a joke,,

but he engineered the greatest upset in football History and gave us our only SB,, due to that , there is no myth,, he is a legend, both to us as Jet fans and to the world of football for changing the game in peoples eyes when he won SBIII in a new innovative way over the old way of playing football.

How dare you question the wisdom that is junk. Don't you know that he is never wrong....

Oh, it gets better:

the Chiefs are hedging their bets against an LJ holdout. Whatever, last week the club hosted Marshawn Lynch, Antonio Pittman, Lorenzo Booker and Kolby Smith.

The Chiefs were unavailable Thursday to speak about their motives. But the agents for all of the players said the Chiefs told them they planned to draft a running back in an early round. "They've put that out there," said Smith's agent, Jerrold Colton. "They said they want the running-back duties shared a little more to save the wear and tear on (Johnson)."

Oh, it gets better:

the Chiefs are hedging their bets against an LJ holdout. Whatever, last week the club hosted Marshawn Lynch, Antonio Pittman, Lorenzo Booker and Kolby Smith.

The Chiefs were unavailable Thursday to speak about their motives. But the agents for all of the players said the Chiefs told them they planned to draft a running back in an early round. "They've put that out there," said Smith's agent, Jerrold Colton. "They said they want the running-back duties shared a little more to save the wear and tear on (Johnson)."

You know Herm, GM, if he says he will draft a RB, that's what he will do.

He keeps no secrets. LOL

Herm has made the playoffs 4 of 6 years, he doesn' deserve a job in coching? he took 2 teams in tsoe 4 of 6 years that weren't exactly playoff regulars when he took over.

I don't care whether you guys like him as a coach but get over his departure already. belichick screwed us worse than Herm did by a long shot and Jet fans hate him less than Herm.

You know its amazing that for someone who claims to be "correcting misinformation" when he sees it, you sure have no issues spewing your own...

Parcells: Exactly how did he "cost us Bellicheck"? bellicheck was well aware of the agreement when he came on as DC. parcells coaches, then becomes GM, BB takes over as HC. Parcells retired to STOP BB from leaving us for NE and force him to stay here. BB wanted out. I am no Parcells ass kisser and have many problems with the job he did as GM...but your statement that he "cost us BB" is simply wrong. BB cost us BB.

Namath: One question...how old are you? Did you ever actually see the man play or are you just a stat junky who watches NFL Films clips? Lets look at his career as a whole. His first 5 years were spent in the AFL where only 2 teams per year made the playoffs each year. He came to a team in 1965 that was in the midst of a massive rebuild. In those 5 AFL years he was ROY in 1965, MVP in 1968 and 1969, threw for over 4000 yards in 1967, and won a world champonship. He also was the most feared passer in football and a 5 time pro bowler. After the merger in 1970, the jets were placed in a division with the Colts and Dolphins...two teams that made the next 4 SB appearances between 1970 and 1973. Only 4 teams made the playoffs in those years so for the Jets, each year was a battle for one wild card spot. The TEAM (not just Namath) was also beset by early retirements, injury, and poor drafting. Even so, he lead the NFL in passing in 1972, was comeback player of the year in 1974, and had the jets in playoff contention in both seasons. Yes, his 70, 71, and 73 seasons were marred by injury. By 75 the team was awful and his injuries had taken their toll. Go look at how many of those 47 more ints then tds were thrown in 75 and 76. You also fail to recognize that back when namath played, a 50% completion % and a 1-1 TD/int ratio were very common isnce it wasnt until 1978 that the pass interfernce rules were changed making it illegal for DB to beat the hell out of WRs up and down the field. So rather then take your shallow "look at the stats and post season appearances" stance on namath, I suggest you look a bit beyond the obvious before making your statements about namath being the most overrated player in sports history. That is simply as assineine statement.

Herm: Not to beat this dead horse again because you obviously have a massive hard on for the guy, but answer me this...when has Herm ever built anything? You keep mentioning how HE made the playoffs 4 of 6 years yet neglect to metion he has NEVER taken over a rebuld...always a playoff or near playoff calibar team. And in his 4 appearances he entered as a 6 seed twice, a 5 seed once and a 9-7 diviosn winning 3 seed once. If not for the watering down of the playoffs and the addition of the 6th playoff team, herm doesnt make it in half those 4 years. A how often did he need others to LOSE so he could BACK in? 2002, 2004 and 2006. And in 2001 he needed a miracle FG to sneak in as a 6 seed. And how did his teams get worse? 10-6, 9-7, 6-10, 10-6 (with a CAKE sked) and then 4-12...thats how. As soon as the player base he was handed from Tuna deteriorated, so did Herm's teams since he was unable to build anytuing himself. Then, to top it all off, this unqualified jackass who was LUCKY to be given a HC job wiht NO experience as even a cordinator and who preached truth and honor and respect...lies his ass off and bolts town. Combine that wiht his infuriating coacing style and horrendious game day ability that cost us dearly over his tenure and you wonder why Jets fans hate the guy? Listen, you can lean over and smooch his unqulaiifed ass all you like. You can manipulate his record as Jets HC all you like. But dont you dare question why others here despise the Fraud.

As I said...its pretty hypocritical to be suppossedly chamioning the correction of misinformation and yet spewing so much yourself.

It's time for people to get over it and worry about their team. There are new threads about Herm all the time here, it's embarrassing that jet fans worry more about Herm than they do the Jets.

You don't get to decide that for other people. It's time you get over yourself and realize this.

You know its amazing that for someone who claims to be "correcting misinformation" when he sees it, you sure have no issues spewing your own...

Parcells: Exactly how did he "cost us Bellicheck"? bellicheck was well aware of the agreement when he came on as DC. parcells coaches, then becomes GM, BB takes over as HC. Parcells retired to STOP BB from leaving us for NE and force him to stay here. BB wanted out. I am no Parcells ass kisser and have many problems with the job he did as GM...but your statement that he "cost us BB" is simply wrong. BB cost us BB.

Namath: One question...how old are you? Did you ever actually see the man play or are you just a stat junky who watches NFL Films clips? Lets look at his career as a whole. His first 5 years were spent in the AFL where only 2 teams per year made the playoffs each year. He came to a team in 1965 that was in the midst of a massive rebuild. In those 5 AFL years he was ROY in 1965, MVP in 1968 and 1969, threw for over 4000 yards in 1967, and won a world champonship. He also was the most feared passer in football and a 5 time pro bowler. After the merger in 1970, the jets were placed in a division with the Colts and Dolphins...two teams that made the next 4 SB appearances between 1970 and 1973. Only 4 teams made the playoffs in those years so for the Jets, each year was a battle for one wild card spot. The TEAM (not just Namath) was also beset by early retirements, injury, and poor drafting. Even so, he lead the NFL in passing in 1972, was comeback player of the year in 1974, and had the jets in playoff contention in both seasons. Yes, his 70, 71, and 73 seasons were marred by injury. By 75 the team was awful and his injuries had taken their toll. Go look at how many of those 47 more ints then tds were thrown in 75 and 76. You also fail to recognize that back when namath played, a 50% completion % and a 1-1 TD/int ratio were very common isnce it wasnt until 1978 that the pass interfernce rules were changed making it illegal for DB to beat the hell out of WRs up and down the field. So rather then take your shallow "look at the stats and post season appearances" stance on namath, I suggest you look a bit beyond the obvious before making your statements about namath being the most overrated player in sports history. That is simply as assineine statement.

Herm: Not to beat this dead horse again because you obviously have a massive hard on for the guy, but answer me this...when has Herm ever built anything? You keep mentioning how HE made the playoffs 4 of 6 years yet neglect to metion he has NEVER taken over a rebuld...always a playoff or near playoff calibar team. And in his 4 appearances he entered as a 6 seed twice, a 5 seed once and a 9-7 diviosn winning 3 seed once. If not for the watering down of the playoffs and the addition of the 6th playoff team, herm doesnt make it in half those 4 years. A how often did he need others to LOSE so he could BACK in? 2002, 2004 and 2006. And in 2001 he needed a miracle FG to sneak in as a 6 seed. And how did his teams get worse? 10-6, 9-7, 6-10, 10-6 (with a CAKE sked) and then 4-12...thats how. As soon as the player base he was handed from Tuna deteriorated, so did Herm's teams since he was unable to build anytuing himself. Then, to top it all off, this unqualified jackass who was LUCKY to be given a HC job wiht NO experience as even a cordinator and who preached truth and honor and respect...lies his ass off and bolts town. Combine that wiht his infuriating coacing style and horrendious game day ability that cost us dearly over his tenure and you wonder why Jets fans hate the guy? Listen, you can lean over and smooch his unqulaiifed ass all you like. You can manipulate his record as Jets HC all you like. But dont you dare question why others here despise the Fraud.

As I said...its pretty hypocritical to be suppossedly chamioning the correction of misinformation and yet spewing so much yourself.

OWNED in way less than 1,000 words to boot. whether nyjunc sits down & shut up remains to be seen but

1- can't argue with that

2- I watched namath play & agree 100%

3- it's the offseason for crissakes & hermbashing is good fun for a jets fan worth his salt

OWNED in way less than 1,000 words to boot. whether nyjunc sits down & shut up remains to be seen but

1- can't argue with that

2- I watched namath play & agree 100%

3- it's the offseason for crissakes & hermbashing is good fun for a jets fan worth his salt

Why thank you Sir!

I cant stand Namath bashing by stat geeks. If you dont understand Namaths impact and also how different the game was in the 60s and 70s, you have no business commenting on the man...especially if you didnt see him play. Namath was better the great for his first 5 years. Then, as his teams declined badly, so did his stats. But he played in a very different era wiht no free agency (so the team never got appreciably better thanks to awful drafting) and max 4 playoff teams per conf. The 70s were rough on Joe no question but had he played for the Steelers instead of the jets he'd have easily won the 4 SBs Bradshaw did and we'd be talking about him as one of the top 10 of all time.

As to herm, the nyjunc crackpot is in a love fest wiht the guy so I have stopped trying to educate him on the subject. But when he claims to "correct misinformation" and then spews it himself, I will call out that hypocricy and expose him.

what a joke,,

He wasn't a great player long enough, Jet fans act like he's one of the best of all time and that's just not true.

What was the nw innovative way hewon SB III? was it the way he handed the ball off? we ran the ball 43 times that game including all runs in the 4th qtr. Off the field he was an unquestioned icon and he could have been truly great for a long time but he wasn't. Poor #s, didn't win enough- not a great player.

He wasn't a great player long enough, Jet fans act like he's one of the best of all time and that's just not true.

What was the nw innovative way hewon SB III? was it the way he handed the ball off? we ran the ball 43 times that game including all runs in the 4th qtr. Off the field he was an unquestioned icon and he could have been truly great for a long time but he wasn't. Poor #s, didn't win enough- not a great player.

now i know you dont know squat about real football,,

its was unheard of then for the super quickrelease and 3 step drop,,

that destroyed the Colts patented pass rush,, they never recovered, ,

Shula said the combo of 3 step and fast release and uncanny audibles wasnt seen till then..

Archived