Mariano: Is it finally over?

Thor99

Frozen rope from the awful Varitek, followed by another from the excreble Coco Crisp. Walk to Dustin "Eddie Gaedel" Pedroia. When is the last time he had to be taken out before the inning was over?

It's been said before, but this is it. It's been an historic 10 year run Yank fans, but it's time to start looking for another closer.

Still no saves this year. Velocity is down and his cut fastball isn't cutting like it used to.

Frozen rope from the awful Varitek, followed by another from the excreble Coco Crisp. Walk to Dustin "Eddie Gaedel" Pedroia. When is the last time he had to be taken out before the inning was over?

It's been said before, but this is it. It's been an historic 10 year run Yank fans, but it's time to start looking for another closer.

Still no saves this year. Velocity is down and his cut fastball isn't cutting like it used to.

It's still early and cold..I will have to see it for an entire season before I believe this to be true.

This thread will probably be locked because some of the d0uche mods here are lock-happy and wont take it seriously...but it certainly looks like Slow Mo may in fact be done. Not saying anything for sure...but he wouldnt be cutting it in AA ball at this point. But even the most ardent Yankee homer would admit that without Slow Mo in top form, the Yankees dont have a snowball's chance in hell!

And save the early and cold stuff...thats lame.

If this keeps up too much longer, Josh Beckett is going to have more wins this year than the Yankees.

Torre is using him because the team is doing so poorly, not many save chances have come along. He needs to get in work to be effective. I am not ready to say he has lost it, because I don't think he has. relievers are a touchy bunch of pitchers. Some guys just lose it from one year to another, and are never able to get it back. We need to give Mo more work to see what's really going on. The entire pitching staff is a steaming pile of horse crap.

Torre is using him because the team is doing so poorly, not many save chances have come along. He needs to get in work to be effective. I am not ready to say he has lost it, because I don't think he has. relievers are a touchy bunch of pitchers. Some guys just lose it from one year to another, and are never able to get it back. We need to give Mo more work to see what's really going on. The entire pitching staff is a steaming pile of horse crap.

And when has Mariano Rivera EVER "lost it" like he has lately? Can you remember any point in his career where he looked this sluggish? He may not be done, but this is just entirely uncharacteristic of him. And if anything, Yankee fans should take that as a compliment; Rivera is the G.O.A.T. at what he does, so a performance like this SHOULD set off alarms.

If Mo is indeed done, do the Yankees have ANY hope? Serious question here.

And when has Mariano Rivera EVER "lost it" like he has lately? Can you remember any point in his career where he looked this sluggish? He may not be done, but this is just entirely uncharacteristic of him. And if anything, Yankee fans should take that as a compliment; Rivera is the G.O.A.T. at what he does, so a performance like this SHOULD set off alarms.

If Mo is indeed done, do the Yankees have ANY hope? Serious question here.

Maybe since he is the only player that still wears Jackie's #42 even after its been retired in every ballpark, he is bringing the demons on himself!

NO. The Yankees may be able to pull off a wildcard , but they can't win a championship without an efficient closer.

In that case, maybe it isnt Joe Torre that is the problem here, like many are making him out to be. If he gets fired, he will simply be a scapegoat. Fortunately, Yankee fans can continue to play the injury card if the ship does not get righted. But without an effective Rivera, I agree with you; you're screwed. And after depending on him for so many years, that is a wakeup call indeed.

Maybe since he is the only player that still wears Jackie's #42 even after its been retired in every ballpark, he is bringing the demons on himself!

I remember when Butch Huskey was one the # 42 holdovers. Didn't work out too well for him in the end, either.

You can't be effective forever. There must be a reason why the Yankees didn't extend his contract. Everyone was complaining that the Yankees weren't doing the right thing. Let's say that he can't regain his form. I guess they made a good call. I am not giving up on Mo, but it isn't looking good right now. I am convinced Torre is done, not because the man forgot how to coach a team. I just think this group needs a fire lit under them, and Torre is not the man to do it.

What? Based on 3 appearances? Please. If you're going to call the greatest closer of all time "finished" you may want to wait more than a month into the season. He's had slumps before, and right now he's had no save opportunities and hasn't had any time to get into a groove.

In short, no.

Douche-bag mods?

Remember when JBF used to post here?

Rivera has lost something, or he's hiding an injury. Either way, it's time to start looking for a replacement.

Umm...did JBF just get banned?

I certainly would not say he is finished based on a couple of appearances this season- only disturbing thing for any Yankee fans he has been your rock solid guy for so long-always able to count on him to close it out. These are the first signs he is not as dominant anymore .

No.

But maybe we should start an over/under on that. I say October 1st.

Oh, hey, if you wanna play O/U's...see my Over/Under on the A-rod Boo thread.

In all seriousness, smizzy was the actualy DB I was referring to because he locked my "A-rod is on roids, Wil Nieves told me so!!!" thread, not seeing the irony and how lame the Schilling/bloddy sock story is.

Youre off the hook (this time)

But lets be perfectly clear, Yankee-hating is not a bannable offense. And if Yankee-hating is now a crime, lock me up and throw away that key baby!!!

Oh, hey, if you wanna play O/U's...see my Over/Under on the A-rod Boo thread.

In all seriousness, smizzy was the actualy DB I was referring to because he locked my "A-rod is on roids, Wil Nieves told me so!!!" thread, not seeing the irony and how lame the Schilling/bloddy sock story is.

Youre off the hook (this time)

But lets be perfectly clear, Yankee-hating is not a bannable offense. And if Yankee-hating is now a crime, lock me up and throw away that key baby!!!

Arod will not get booed this season. He is off the hook. Torre would be a good one for being booed. The Yanks would only have 4 wins if Arod wasn't tearing it up.

I'm glad I'm not the douche bag. I can sleep a little better tonight.

Mo was lights out in the spring. Unless he's hurt he'll be fine but tweaking Andy's routine so many times in 3 weeks worked out well last night didn't it.

Right now Maine is the best pitcher in NY.

Right now. Yes. But Wang has made one start and Mussina has made 2.

It seems like something to wrong with mariano, maybe he has some sort of minor injury that is throwing him off. Maybe his wife cheated on him and his mind isn't in it. Maybe he is trying to get back at cash for disrespecting him.

Except with mo it's lasted for 2 weeks not a whole season.

True, but for Mo, he's NEVER had control problems. Beckett has had it his entire career. And Beckett is about a decade younger than Rivera. Clearly, then, Yankee fans should be much more disturbed with Rivera than Red Sox fans with Beckett.

True, but for Mo, he's NEVER had control problems. Beckett has had it his entire career. And Beckett is about a decade younger than Rivera. Clearly, then, Yankee fans should be much more disturbed with Rivera than Red Sox fans with Beckett.

They can be equally worried.

They can be equally worried.

Not really. Rivera has been the one constant for the Yankees over the last 11 years, the most important performer to their success. Without him, you're toast this season and will have difficulty finding a replacement who can come even close to producing like Rivera has. He's the greatest closer of all time, bar none.

Josh Beckett is nowhere near as important to the Red Sox.

If it lasts for longer than 2 weeks i'll worry. He's had bad stretches before...

Archived