Yankees | Mientkiewicz likely headed for disabled list

Smizzy

Sat, 2 Jun 2007 21:00:59 -0700

New York Yankees 1B Doug Mientkiewicz is expected to be placed on the 15-day disabled list before the game, Sunday, June 3, one day after colliding with Boston Red Sox 3B Mike Lowell on an errant throw by Yankees SS Derek Jeter, according to the Associated Press. Mientkiewicz was taken from the field on a cart after banging his head on Lowell's hip while trying to one-hop Jeter's throw in the seventh inning. He suffered a mild concussion, cervical sprain and a fractured bone in his right wrist, and spent the night at Massachusetts General Hospital for observation.

Sat, 2 Jun 2007 21:00:59 -0700

New York Yankees 1B Doug Mientkiewicz is expected to be placed on the 15-day disabled list before the game, Sunday, June 3, one day after colliding with Boston Red Sox 3B Mike Lowell on an errant throw by Yankees SS Derek Jeter, according to the Associated Press. Mientkiewicz was taken from the field on a cart after banging his head on Lowell's hip while trying to one-hop Jeter's throw in the seventh inning. He suffered a mild concussion, cervical sprain and a fractured bone in his right wrist, and spent the night at Massachusetts General Hospital for observation.

even the staunchest Mets fan has to admit the Yanks are snakebit this year,,

injuries, trainers gettin canned, arod stripper thing,, its shaping up as one of those years you write off to the moons not being aligned or some crap like that

I'm just glad Yankee fans aren't like Sox fans. Sox fans would have been saying it was done on purpose, especially if it were A-Wad instead of Lowell.

Get off your high horse mate. If Jeter had made a decent throw Mientkiewicz would be playing tonight.

Get off your high horse mate. If Jeter had made a decent throw Mientkiewicz would be playing tonight.

I'm not on a high horse, I'm just making an observation. If that had been A-rod sox fans would be saying bush league and/or it was on purpose. There is no blame on this play, it was a very bad accident.

I'm just glad Yankee fans aren't like Sox fans. Sox fans would have been saying it was done on purpose, especially if it were A-Wad instead of Lowell.

Really?

Go check out NYYfans.com.

you're about 8 hours late for me apologizing and admitting I was wrong, way to keep up.

I know, sorry. I responded to that post before I read the rest of the thread.

You should still check out NYYfans.com. It's a pretty good site.

I know, sorry. I responded to that post before I read the rest of the thread.

You should still check out NYYfans.com. It's a pretty good site.

Is it really? I'm not really big on "yankee fan circle jerks"

Truth is, Cano made a horrible feed to Jeter to start the potential DP. If he gets it to 2nd on the money, the throw to first is well ahead of Lowell, and there is no collision.

Truth is, Cano made a horrible feed to Jeter to start the potential DP. If he gets it to 2nd on the money, the throw to first is well ahead of Lowell, and there is no collision.

Bingo.

Neither play, Lowell planting Cano or Lowell hitting Doug M. were dirty.

The Doug M. thing was a freak accident. The Cano hit was nothing more that good old school baseball.

its never good seeing a guy get hit in the head like that, especially the way he folded as he got hit. I was sadder that it happened to a guy like doug. i loved watching him on the Twins, it was his 'class' of players that turned that franchise in the right direction...no offense, but i'm sort of sad to see him on the yanks, i wish he'd have stayed at least mid-west.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but how is Mientkiewicz being on the DL a bad thing? How a light-hitting first baseman still has a job in baseball beyond me.

you won't be asking that question when Phelps or (gulp) Damon are at 1B in the 8th or 9th inning one night and can't scoop a Jeter or AROD throw, 2 outs, tying run on 3rd. Mientkiewicz at the plate is horrendous, but he is a ridiculous fielding 1B. If guys like Damon, Abreu and Cano were hitting up to their ability, nobody would care that Mientkiewicz is hitting .240.

Archived